Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting a bullion stockpile

Started by AFWarrior83, May 25, 2012, 04:41:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PEtrader

Quote from: snoblind on July 07, 2012, 12:35:47 am
Perhaps, but if I recall Keynes the idea was to run surplus in the good times so that there would a cushion available to deficit spend when necessary.  As for the discussion your referring to that's been an argument for decades.  As for surpluses, look at the data
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt.htm

I may be missing it, but I don't see a decrease in outstanding debt unless one goes back to 50's. 51 to be precise.  The so-called Clinton surplus years were apparently budget games.

Need to crash, but I will look at the rest of your post and discuss tomorrow.

I never said it made any sense, just that was the arguement.  Just using it to make the point of how opinions sway from one side to the other with the so called "experts".
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

hog.goblin

Quote from: OldPoop on July 07, 2012, 06:31:58 am
What frustrated me with hog.goblin was his statement of not needing gold in a crisis, only guns, food, and shelter.  Right after I had given recent real world examples of Germany, Argentina, and Zimbabwe, and why you need gold more than guns.  The people with gold survived with their savings and some even came out ahead, while those without gold lost their savings.  The countries survived, the people survived, and they did not all kill each other.   They were just a lot poorer afterwards, a lifetime of working and saving gone.  I'm sorry, I don't know how else to explain it.  And then he said "I simply want a logic explanation of why I want to own something that seems worthless to me", when that is all I've been doing for this entire thread.  I got frustrated when I realized that I had been completely wasting my time.  I hate to waste my time.

I am fine with everyone doing what they think is best for them and their families.  But if we follow history, and the stock market tanks and the fiat currency tanks, a lot of people are going to be wiped out, and it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

I'm done, you can be the winner.

No need to be frustrated OP, I have enjoyed the discussion.  I really didn't mean to place any more emphasis on the "apocalyptic scenario" than any other. 

It seems like your assertion is that gold is the best measure against a total U.S. economy and currency collapse, much like it might have been for Germans after WWI and the U.S. during the great depression.  I just happen to disagree.

While I think stressful times are ahead, I have other measures to help protect against it (foreign stocks, cash in a Canadian bank, a small portion allocated in foreign currencies and commodities, real estate, 2 well-running cars that are owned free and clear, as well as a few guns and such).

I simply find those items more flexible and more valuable/useful than gold.  That being said, it's been a good reminder that I should probably have 1 or 2% in precious metals.

Quote from: OldPoop on July 07, 2012, 06:31:58 am
Hog.goblin, I am a big believer in insurance.  That's why I pay for home insurance, even though I don't know anyone that ever had their home burn down.  I have car insurance and health insurance.   I have 3 months food insurance, and I have guns for insurance.  I have stocks for insurance and I also have precious metals for insurance.  Hopefully my family is covered for all potential catastrophes.

Indeed, insurance is simply an expense (in most situations).  It's like burning cash.  However, it provides peace of mind and a reimbursement in an unexpected event.

However, my health insurance is going through the roof at over $800 per month for a high deductible plan.  That seems to be one thing I have lost control over.

snoblind

Quote from: PEtrader on July 07, 2012, 06:47:24 am
I never said it made any sense, just that was the arguement.  Just using it to make the point of how opinions sway from one side to the other with the so called "experts".

The problem these days is we can find the "experts" on every side.  Who knows?

hog.goblin

Watching a special on Gold right now on CNBC.

Silver Hog

Quote from: snoblind on May 25, 2012, 06:23:59 pm
Something I've thought about doing...  I have Morgan and Peace dollars circa late teens and early 20's (19-).  I thought about trying to trade them for regular junk silver coins - since I've seen those dollars selling at a collector's premium (at coin shows - for example $150-200 when spot was in low 30's) over the silver value I thought it might be possible to increase my net ounces.  Thoughts?

A lot will depend on condition and scarcity.  A few may get a premium, most will probably get you basic bullion prices (melt value).  The scarce ones will have numismatic value, the plain ones are just bullion.

For melt value, you can peruse coinflation.com, it has a value calculator there for every type of american coin.  For scarcity, you'll have to google each one. Hope you have a winner or three there!

snoblind

Quote from: Silver Hog on July 16, 2012, 11:47:00 am
A lot will depend on condition and scarcity.  A few may get a premium, most will probably get you basic bullion prices (melt value).  The scarce ones will have numismatic value, the plain ones are just bullion.

For melt value, you can peruse coinflation.com, it has a value calculator there for every type of american coin.  For scarcity, you'll have to google each one. Hope you have a winner or three there!

Talked to a coin guy.  Looks like most of what I have are the most common ones.  But maybe have a couple that be winners.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on May 25, 2012, 04:41:27 am
I recently decided to stop buying stocks and start purchasing Gold and Silver bullion.

I was wondering what most consider a good time to buy... I just purchased the following:

1 US Mint Original Roll 20 American Eagle Silver Coins (20.000 oz.) = $623.72
1 Canadian Mint Original Roll 25 Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Coins (25.000 oz.) = $780.93

Total after s/h, etc. = $1,492.69

Did I wait to long, right time, or what? I know precious metals were up last year and went down recently. Did I jump in at the right time or too soon? I'm just trying to spread my investments (i.e. stocks, CD's, bullion, etc.)

Also, is it better to purchase bars or coins?

Thanks! -AFWarrior83
My condolences. What is your percentage loss so far, while the stock market has been on fire since you begain this?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.