Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will leaving Iraq affect the economy?

Started by AFWarrior83, October 25, 2011, 06:33:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

I was curious what you guys think will happen to the economy with 1 of 2 wars...err "conflicts" ending. We're definately leaving Iraq besides "maybe" some security trainers...so it "should" cut down national defense costs.

You guys want to hear something crazy? When we finish wars, we leave what we brought to country behind because it's cheaper to leave re-transport it back to the States or Europe! I've always thought that was crazy...
Hogville member since 2005.

HawgWild

There will also be a reduction in the number of troops and these persons will be seeking employment driving these numbers up somewhat. The resumes for many of them will reflect a skill set that's not needed in the civilian world making their readjustment a little more difficult.

Maybe these federal funds will be redirected into infrastructure improvement/development.

Really interested to see the recommendations that are to come out of the super committee next month.

OldPoop

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on October 25, 2011, 06:33:00 am
I was curious what you guys think will happen to the economy with 1 of 2 wars...err "conflicts" ending. We're definately leaving Iraq besides "maybe" some security trainers...so it "should" cut down national defense costs.

You guys want to hear something crazy? When we finish wars, we leave what we brought to country behind because it's cheaper to leave re-transport it back to the States or Europe! I've always thought that was crazy...

I guess it depends on whether the gov tries to eventually muster these people out of the military or tries to keep them in, but based in the U.S.  If they are dumped into the civilian workforce it will raise the unemployment numbers.   If we brought our troops home from 70 to 80% of the countries they are stationed in and just stationed them in the U.S. it would stop billions of dollars from going into foreign economies and redirect it into our own.   And we would still have an adequate military available for the next "necessary" war.

I was a student living in France when DeGaulle kicked the U.S. military out.  The Frogs were laughing at us because they were buying stuff from the U.S. Air Force base just outside of Paris for a few pennies on the dollar.   Evidently the base had really advanced computer equipment for the time and the Frogs couldn't wait to get their hands on it.  But just to enjoy rubbing our noses in it a little more they made a really ridiculous offer because they knew the A.F. couldn't afford to dismantle and move it.   Somebody, I don't know how high up the order came from, ordered all of it to be chopped up with fire axes and left in place as is.   It was one of my proudest moments to be an American.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: OldPoop on October 26, 2011, 10:31:09 am
I guess it depends on whether the gov tries to eventually muster these people out of the military or tries to keep them in, but based in the U.S.  If they are dumped into the civilian workforce it will raise the unemployment numbers.   If we brought our troops home from 70 to 80% of the countries they are stationed in and just stationed them in the U.S. it would stop billions of dollars from going into foreign economies and redirect it into our own.   And we would still have an adequate military available for the next "necessary" war.

I was a student living in France when DeGaulle kicked the U.S. military out.  The Frogs were laughing at us because they were buying stuff from the U.S. Air Force base just outside of Paris for a few pennies on the dollar.   Evidently the base had really advanced computer equipment for the time and the Frogs couldn't wait to get their hands on it.  But just to enjoy rubbing our noses in it a little more they made a really ridiculous offer because they knew the A.F. couldn't afford to dismantle and move it.   Somebody, I don't know how high up the order came from, ordered all of it to be chopped up with fire axes and left in place as is.   It was one of my proudest moments to be an American.

Funny story!

Regarding your comments about shutting down overseas bases, that will never happen. We're always going to be involved in international affairs, so it's important to have a presence in locations all over the world. It's true that we're helping foreign economies, but we also have "jump-off" points available outside of US territories, etc. I do think we should protect our borders, but that's just my opinion.
Hogville member since 2005.