Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stocks portfolio

Started by AFWarrior83, October 12, 2011, 08:57:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

October 12, 2011, 08:57:14 pm Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:58:46 pm by AFWarrior83
I currently have shares in:

MSFT - Microsoft
SHLD - Sears
CSCO - Cisco

I have $2K between the three and am down about $200. Do you guys think any of these stocks will make money? They dropped a few months back, but are on the upswing. I wanted to buy AAPL (Apple) back when shares were at $350, but was nervous...and their shares have went over $400 recently!

I also read about a trucking company CGI that is looking to merge with Van Buren based USA trucking. I'm thinking about buying shares...opinions?

Just curious what some of you guys think, I'm fairly new to stocks.  I have a couple of large CD's, but the interest rates have sucked since '08, and I'm still young.

I also have $10K in a TSP account (military version of 401K). I've made a little of it, but not much.

I'm just looking for some investment advice from those who have more experience than I do.
Hogville member since 2005.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: Boar on October 12, 2011, 09:34:37 pm
It's all gambling, AF.  Read through some previous non-gloom and doom threads...there's some good info in here.

Thanks. I'm fairly young, so I'm looking long-term investments at this point. I did notice a lot of folks here like Agriculture and Energy stocks... Is "now" a good time to buy? Most stocks were lower at one point, and it seems like it's almost the wrong time to buy because the market isn't at a low point.

HawgWild

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on October 12, 2011, 08:57:14 pm
I also read about a trucking company CGI that is looking to merge with Van Buren based USA trucking. I'm thinking about buying shares...opinions?

Years back bought some shares in an up and coming trucking company, Cannon Express, out of Springdale. It did really well for awhile but then lost it's contract with Wal Mart, strugggled and finally disappeared. I called my broker on Tuesday to request that they remove the 600 shares that I had in my IRA account because there was no longer a market for CEXP and I was transferring my account over to Scottrade. They needed this taken care of before becoming the custodian of this account with them.

What does this have to do with your question? Nothing I guess. Sounds like you are where I was 30 years ago. Good luck with your investing!

snoblind

Who knows if this is a good time to buy?  I suspect there will better times over the next few years (yes, I'm one of the gloom and doomers Boar mentioned). 

If you are looking to move one of the CD's into the market I would suggest looking into an ETF that allows you to spread risk out over more than just 3 or 4 stocks.  Look at blue chip dividend paying funds and reinvest the dividends.  Might also consider buying over a period of time rather than all at one time.  I have an IRA at Vanguard and I'm currently looking at VYM and VIG when I'm done with my paper metals speculation phase.  Both have energy stocks in their top 10 holdings.

DeltaBoy

The market been nutty our Edward Jones account lost $8,000 dollars over the 2nd quarter.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OldPoop

Quote from: snoblind on October 15, 2011, 02:45:50 am
Who knows if this is a good time to buy?  I suspect there will better times over the next few years (yes, I'm one of the gloom and doomers Boar mentioned). 

If you are looking to move one of the CD's into the market I would suggest looking into an ETF that allows you to spread risk out over more than just 3 or 4 stocks.  Look at blue chip dividend paying funds and reinvest the dividends.  Might also consider buying over a period of time rather than all at one time.  I have an IRA at Vanguard and I'm currently looking at VYM and VIG when I'm done with my paper metals speculation phase.  Both have energy stocks in their top 10 holdings.     

If you are still in GLD read pages 6 and 7 of this report.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=1331814dc8d51b7a&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Dd8d687aad3%26view%3Datt%26th%3D1331814dc8d51b7a%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRDk8tovsm3T2nhzT8TMPOv6g_TUw

If you wake up one morning and an economic emergency has caused the President to temporarily close the market or GLD trading is suspended for a while, you might not be able to salvage your investment.  IMO you could be holding a ticking time bomb.  If you want to own precious metals you can't beat holding the real thing.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

snoblind

Quote from: OldPoop on October 18, 2011, 05:04:14 pm
If you are still in GLD read pages 6 and 7 of this report.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=1331814dc8d51b7a&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Dd8d687aad3%26view%3Datt%26th%3D1331814dc8d51b7a%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRDk8tovsm3T2nhzT8TMPOv6g_TUw

If you wake up one morning and an economic emergency has caused the President to temporarily close the market or GLD trading is suspended for a while, you might not be able to salvage your investment.  IMO you could be holding a ticking time bomb.  If you want to own precious metals you can't beat holding the real thing.

Won't let me read without signing in?

But yeah, I know.  Took some profits.  But I'm still in - watching it like a hawk.  Still thinking about the PM IRA, but I still have questions.  Quite frankly, in the worst case scenario I'm not sure PM's sitting in a vault half a continent or half a world away are that much safer or accessible.  Whose to say retirement funds won't be confiscated in that type of a situation anyway. 

AFWarrior83

I've been adding some stocks recently, blending my stock risk buys. I think it's a good time to get into the market though, because everything is down. Eventually our economy will pick back up, we just don't know when that will be. It could be 1 year or it could be 10...who knows!

Eventually we'll all have to start paying higher taxes, because America is not going to go broke.