Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chesepeake Energy stock

Started by 1CavHog, January 07, 2011, 09:51:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1CavHog

Natural gas company. CHK. Discuss.

1CavHog

I bought it last week at $26.90. It's at $27.98 already and I think it's going to keep going up. Have some friends that work there and been following the company for a while, I'm pretty optimistic about it.

HognotinMemphis

I don't have time to delve deep into CHK here but suffice it to say it is a great long-term equity to have. It was even better when it was trading south of $15/sh, which is where I invested. I'll probably have it forever, or until it's bought out by Exxon or the like.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

aristotle

January 23, 2011, 09:05:17 am #3 Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:07:27 am by aristotle
Long term buy.

Right now, stock price has a ceiling with cheap nat gas futures. Plus I saw a good analysis on CNBC about them being excellent hedgers. They have protective hedges on most of their contracts, mitigating risk but keeping the stock ceiling low for now. When the price of nat gas rises due to demand ( talking mainly about you, government ), I predict CHK will be in a good, strong position to rise with virtually no ceiling.

Their CEO said, "We don't gamble. We don't bet. We're physically long gas," McClendon says. "All we're doing is mitigating risk."

Most hedges are for 18 months down the road.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chesapeake-Energys-Hedging-cnbc-646358532.html?x=0&.v=1&.pf=personal-finance&mod=pf-personal-finance

aristotle

On CNBC, they also said McClendon drives a car powered by nat gas. He said the cost was like 75 cents/gallon.

OldPoop

Quote from: aristotle on January 23, 2011, 09:07:00 am
On CNBC, they also said McClendon drives a car powered by nat gas. He said the cost was like 75 cents/gallon.

We need to be working on developing that instead of burning up the worlds food supply in our gas tanks. 

We have enough natgas for a 100 years, and I would think that the natgas companies would be able to afford to funnel even more money into politicians pockets than the farm lobby has been able to do. 

My next natgas purchase will probably be Encana (huge proven undeveloped reserves), if it will ever slow down and pull back a little.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

HognotinMemphis

CHK up almost 9% today due to investment by Chinese company. Huge move for one day and a very nice 4 figure gain for me today!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

snoblind

Quote from: Boar on January 12, 2011, 02:41:22 pm
It dropped just after my orig purchase and stayed down for a while so I bought more.  Now up about 25%.   I don't know enough about the company to give advice, but with China involved now...that may give it a boost down the road.  HIM owns it too, maybe he'll chime in.  
Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 31, 2011, 08:05:48 pm
CHK up almost 9% today due to investment by Chinese company. Huge move for one day and a very nice 4 figure gain for me today!

You are both welcome.  I've been thinking about buying it for some time and didn't. Therefore the huge runup.  $%^&#!@@!!!

If I decide to jump in and I'll let you know the day before so you can put your sell orders in...

1CavHog

So far this has been a real good pickup for me. The only other purchase I had that really worked out beyond my expectations was when I bought GE at under $10.