Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wanna good book

Started by alwaysondbigscreen, October 06, 2008, 06:16:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alwaysondbigscreen

I for some strange reason have decided to take a more active role with my investments, but I am an idiot, so what would be a good "starter book"? I cant help but believe with a little or maybe a whole lot of digging  there has to be some real bargains out there, I just want to know how to recognize them. Thanks
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

McKdaddy

October 06, 2008, 07:40:12 pm #1 Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:43:16 pm by McKdaddy
I usually recommend my clients read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street".  Some of my peers say I'm defeating the purpose of my clients using my services, but I think it firms up why we diversify (which clients tend to not do if left to their own vice) and discusses the unpredictability of the markets in a manner client's seem to be able to accept.

For other advisors:  I've got several copies of it to let clients borrow.  They "check-it-out" from my assistant then she gives them a reminder call when they haven't brought it back in 2 months.  She tactfully does this by calling and asking how they are enjoying it, if there is anything in the book they'd like to discuss w/ me, and / or if they'd like more time.

Any books you guys recommend your clients read?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

alwaysondbigscreen

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 06, 2008, 07:40:12 pm
I usually recommend my clients read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street".  Some of my peers say I'm defeating the purpose of my clients using my services, but I think it firms up why we diversify (which clients tend to not do if left to their own vice) and discusses the unpredictability of the markets in a manner client's seem to be able to accept.

For other advisors:  I've got several copies of it to let clients borrow.  They "check-it-out" from my assistant then she gives them a reminder call when they haven't brought it back in 2 months.  She tactfully does this by calling and asking how they are enjoying it, if there is anything in the book they'd like to discuss w/ me, and / or if they'd like more time.

Any books you guys recommend your clients read?
thanks, and I dont think it defeats the purpose. the more your clients know the more it seems you would be able to work with them.
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

Ash

Random Walk is a great book

vandybuff

ditto to great book -- also read some of Benjamin Graham's works - most likely at the library, for they are old.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

McKdaddy

Quote from: alwaysondbigscreen on October 06, 2008, 09:00:05 pm
thanks, and I dont think it defeats the purpose. the more your clients know the more it seems you would be able to work with them.
That's my thinking.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

aristotle

I enjoyed the 'Alchemy of Finance' by Soros.

HawgPilot

I recently finished "The Demise of the Dollar"

It was a good read although it seemed very repetitive...

Ash

October 08, 2008, 10:07:09 am #8 Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:09:04 am by Ash
Back in school I enjoyed a few books that gave a decent understanding of some of the underlying economic issues in the markets.

Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by Keynes

These won't help directly with investing but it is always a good idea to understand economic issues if you are going to be investing. Those are three "cornerstone" books that will help introduce you to the subject.

JAHOGS

Crash Proof

By Peter Schiff

He released this book back in Feb or March. Everything that is happening to the markets today he has predicted it in this book. He gives some good advice to survive the market, hints the name Crash Proof