Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Illustrated's Thayer Evans reporting Chaney Gone

Started by Wildhog, January 11, 2015, 06:13:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

98hogs

Chaney's SEC record makes me say   Thank Goodness!

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on January 11, 2015, 06:55:55 pm
Pretty sure it was our newest commit and nothing to do with losing a coach.

I am too, I just thought I'd add to the chaos.

Section123

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 11, 2015, 06:53:45 pm
Robb Smith's raise set the Shannon move and the Chaney move in motion.  Smith comes in and by the end of his first year is getting a $250k bump while they aren't.  They both are smart enough to read the handwriting on the wall, and trust me CBB didn't give Smith a raise without knowing what the repercussions would be for the other guys.

Totally agree with this post. Coach B knew they would not like being left out.

hoglady

Got to say - this broke some sort of supersonic speed record.
Rumor to pretty much confirmation in record time.
Glad it didn't drag on for days like Randy Shannon.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TNhawgfan

I'm sure coach is about to make an upgrade. If we lose any of this year's recruits because of it, it will still be worth it in the long run
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Section123 on January 11, 2015, 06:57:43 pm
Totally agree with this post. Coach B knew they would not like being left out.

Me too. Got to trust CBB looking at the bigger/longterm picture to win championships.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 11, 2015, 06:53:45 pm
Robb Smith's raise set the Shannon move and the Chaney move in motion.  Smith comes in and by the end of his first year is getting a $250k bump while they aren't.  They both are smart enough to read the handwriting on the wall, and trust me CBB didn't give Smith a raise without knowing what the repercussions would be for the other guys.
This is the kind of stuff that gets me.  Just because one coach/person/employee gets a raise or adjustment to their wage doesn't mean everyone else should.  Doesn't matter what business you are talking about.  My wife works for the federal govt and the wages/raises are all based on position and time.  She supervises a group of employees, some good, some mediocre, some not so good and they all get the same raise regardless.  Should be based on merit.  coach Smith had a great year so he deserved the raise. 

ronmahony

Man thus is exciting to me. I just feel like CBB is going to keep tweaking until he has the right feel on the coaches. He sure knew what he was doing last year. I just feel like he is going to keep on until he builds something truly special here.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

jkstock04

I gotta say, one thing I really like about Bielema...if there is an apparent weakness, he's not afraid to cut someone loose and upgrade.

We hit a home run getting rid of ash and upgrading to rob smith. I'll be hoping and looking forward to a similar upgrade.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

younghog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 11, 2015, 06:52:12 pm
Is this starting to sound to anyone else that he was either already let go/fired or this was a known/done deal for awhile?

No doubt
GO HOGS

board

onebadrubi

Quote from: rhames on January 11, 2015, 06:54:52 pm

I'm going to venture out a a way that has more to do with urban than ash. How many points did ash "co hold" Alabama to?

All credit, interviews, and publicity was given to Luke fickle, fyi

Hog Milanese

passinghog

Thank goodness!!

Now we can hire an actual QB coach

SquidBilly

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 11, 2015, 07:07:08 pm
This is the kind of stuff that gets me.  Just because one coach/person/employee gets a raise or adjustment to their wage doesn't mean everyone else should.  Doesn't matter what business you are talking about.  My wife works for the federal govt and the wages/raises are all based on position and time.  She supervises a group of employees, some good, some mediocre, some not so good and they all get the same raise regardless.  Should be based on merit.  coach Smith had a great year so he deserved the raise. 

I agree but most of us work jobs where are salaries aren't known by our fellow employees and vice versa.  In fact most companies have policies against sharing that information.  I agree pay should be performance based and have no issue with Smith getting a raise while the other two don't.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2015, 07:08:46 pm
I gotta say, one thing I really like about Bielema...if there is an apparent weakness, he's not afraid to cut someone loose and upgrade.

We hit a home run getting rid of ash and upgrading to rob smith. I'll be hoping and looking forward to a similar upgrade.
No MSM here for sure
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

twistitup

Quote from: rhames on January 11, 2015, 06:54:52 pm

I'm going to venture out a a way that has more to do with urban than ash. How many points did ash "co hold" Alabama to?

His TEAM is playing for a NC....FACT. Quit the sour grapes it was a win / win for all involved. Ash found a better fit and we found our new hero- perfect
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GaryHog

Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

fanofthehog

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Hogman2

One thing that may occur with a new OC is every QB starts over.  EVERY QB will be at the same level because terminology and some plays MAY CHANGE! We need a young OC who can recruit and relate!  This is the ONLY way BA can be challenged as a senior returning starter.  Hopefully, some new concepts can be implemented and we will not be completely stopped after halftime defensive adjustments are made by our opponent.
Bielema will upgrade the position and we will be MORE successful next year and the year after!

toxichog

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on January 11, 2015, 06:25:44 pm
And KJ Hill tweets "I'm out"
Chaney is a pretty cerebral guy.......and a better QB Coach than offensive coordinator...........but has little to nothing to do with recruiting.........to think that we are landing recruits to Fayetteville because of Jim Chaney is silly.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Barry lunney Sr for offensive coordinator looks like the direction.

twistitup

......Pitt sends out memo to other ACC schools reminding them of the importance of proper elevator maintenance
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pork Twain

Quote from: toxichog on January 11, 2015, 07:27:22 pm
Chaney is a pretty cerebral guy.......and a better QB Coach than offensive coordinator...........but has little to nothing to do with recruiting.........to think that we are landing recruits to Fayetteville because of Jim Chaney is silly.
He is an awful qb coach and has never really been a good one.  As an OC, he was ok.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hogman2 on January 11, 2015, 07:27:11 pm
One thing that may occur with a new OC is every QB starts over.  EVERY QB will be at the same level because terminology and some plays MAY CHANGE! We need a young OC who can recruit and relate!  This is the ONLY way BA can be challenged as a senior returning starter.  Hopefully, some new concepts can be implemented and we will not be completely stopped after halftime defensive adjustments are made by our opponent.
Bielema will upgrade the position and we will be MORE successful next year and the year after!

Brandon Allen should still start the first game of the year next year.
The guy is good.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: OTR on January 11, 2015, 07:27:28 pm

What's Odell's thoughts on this development?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

rtr

10 years ago, Hogville was aghast because Houston Dale would not pass enough but now with  Bret Bielema some are celebrating the departure of an OC because he passes too much.  Hogvile logic. ::)
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HogFanatic

Quote from: rtr on January 11, 2015, 07:34:54 pm
10 years ago, Hogville was aghast because Houston Dale would not pass enough but now with  Bret Bielema some are celebrating the departure of an OC because he passes too much.  Hogvile logic. ::)

And do you really believe things are that black and white?
Chaney's problems, at least as far as I'm concerned, were not the overall numbers of runs vs pass attempts, but WHEN he elected to call plays.

Like late in a game, with a lead, and you throw the ball 13 flippin' times in a row with an obviously injured QB.
Jim Chaney's play calling defied all logic this season. If Robb Smith hadn't been such a damn good defensive mind, Arkansas very easily could have gone 0fer again this year in conference play.

The simplistic view is to say that people are pissed because we throw too often.
Either style can work if it's ran properly, and at the end of the day Chaney didn't really do much properly.
His record is atrocious. His teams' second half statistics are atrocious. And regardless of your sour grapes, it appears Bielema could see what many of us were seeing too.

Dark Helmet Hog

Huge day for the program, no matter how you look at it.

rtr

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on January 11, 2015, 07:40:17 pm
it appears Bielema could see what many of us were seeing too.
Whoa, there is are no sour grapes.  I think Bielema and Chaney were trying to synthesize their styles, if it works, then wow.  Otherwise it is a failure, but yeah Coach B should definitely consult you before he hires a new OC.

XX

Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: rtr on January 11, 2015, 07:34:54 pm

No. Nutt was incompetent and despotic and unable to have a cohesive thought on offensive philosophy.  We currently have a coach that has a clear directive in his offensive ideology, all the while flexible enough to incorporate different facets to said ideology.  So, he believed Chaney could incorporate some degree of his more wide open approach to enhance the pervading and preferred power pro set. It wasn't working, and is now being, allowed to dissolve, and hopefully benefiting all involved.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

chancehogg

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on January 11, 2015, 07:40:17 pm
And do you really believe things are that black and white?
Chaney's problems, at least as far as I'm concerned, were not the overall numbers of runs vs pass attempts, but WHEN he elected to call plays.

Like late in a game, with a lead, and you throw the ball 13 flippin' times in a row with an obviously injured QB.
Jim Chaney's play calling defied all logic this season. If Robb Smith hadn't been such a damn good defensive mind, Arkansas very easily could have gone 0fer again this year in
Or running a sweep to the short side of the field . Never understood the reasoning behind this

Mikey

I think Bielema already has a replacement in mind.  The story of Chaney's contract extension being "in the works" plus him going to Pitt seems to indicate that he was encouraged to leave.

rtr

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 11, 2015, 07:48:20 pm
No. Nutt was incompetent and despotic and unable to have a cohesive thought on offensive philosophy.  We currently have a coach that has a clear directive in his offensive ideology, all the while flexible enough to incorporate different facets to said ideology.  So, he believed Chaney could incorporate some degree of his more wide open approach to enhance the pervading and preferred power pro set. It wasn't working, and is now being, allowed to dissolve, and hopefully benefiting all involved.
It has been done before, Joe Gibbs, Don Breaux, John Riggins, the Hawgs, Joe Theismann and the Smurfs.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

January 11, 2015, 07:56:44 pm #137 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:20:11 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on January 11, 2015, 07:41:49 pm
Huge day for the program, no matter how you look at it.
^^^

Pittman reaffirms his position as All Hog and lands another 4 star O-Lineman.

zane

Been calling this one for years
RIP LSUfan

ricepig

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hogman2 on January 11, 2015, 07:27:11 pm

So you're saying you want BA to get replaced by a redshirt freshman or true freshman after throwing 22 touchdowns and 5 INTs?

This is my non-signature signature.

dandd TD

Ashley is exactly right. I'm not pissed at Chaney for the plays he called but when he called them. It seemed to me he was flustered a lot of the times, especially in the fourth quarter.
I think BB is building a freaking machine that will be awesome. Think if we see improvement on Offense like we saw from the D! Also, the new OC may not have a home run name when BB announces, but I bet it will work. I'll say this, Coach B has no problem doing what is best for this program, Players wise or coaches. I am proud to be a Razorback! I bet B. Allen will have a great year next year.

(notOM)Rebel123

Surely you jest?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

greasy_corner

WarPig88

So we've turned over half the staff in just 2 seasons?

Jek Tono Porkins

CBB is trying to build an offensive identity, not a gimmick offense.
Regardless of who is the offensive coordinator, we're still going to have big offensive linemen and we're still going to run the ball. That's not going to change.

If BB really thought that JC was indispensable, JC would still be here. That's what it comes down to.

On the other hand, you can't deny that JC is an experienced offensive coordinator. I thought he was much better this year than last year. The only time I was scratching my head at the play-calling was on the last drive of the Mizzou game when he was calling exclusively pass plays with an obviously injured QB with 4 minutes left on the clock.

Who knows what will happen but I have trust in Coach B.

Also, an aside, for the love of God, I am so tired of people believing this fairy tale that Brandon Allen isn't going to be the starter next year. It's not a competition and it's not up for debate. He WILL be the starter next year unless he gets injured. You may as well get used to it.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

SquidBilly

Quote from: greasy_corner on January 11, 2015, 08:06:14 pm
J D China Buffet wept.

Not really necessary to take personal shots at the guy is it?  Good coach, by all accounts a good person, just didn't work out.

HogAlum99

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 11, 2015, 07:29:20 pm
He is an awful qb coach and has never really been a good one.  As an OC, he was ok.
I just wonder if the lack of overall QB development, esp with the backups isn't part of it too. I still cannot get over what happened in Columbia which cost us the game IMO. I have been OK with Chaney but let's face it, the team has IMPROVED on the defensive side of the ball... bottom line.

Bebop

Guess all those who had legitimate concerns with Chaney were right after all.