Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mattingly Tweet - Chaney

Started by crazystupidthick, January 11, 2015, 10:47:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BrassNunchucks

I really wanted former Colorado State OC Dave Baldwin, who signed on with Oregon State a couple weeks ago. It'd be interesting to see if he'd pull an Ellis Johnson. He's got a pro-style philosophy, great history developing QBs, and tends to build his offenses around his players' strengths (unlike Cheney, who sometimes seems hellbent on passing regardless of personnel).

regi

I hope Cheney moves on, it is not the best fit in the world here. He is not a factor in recruiting, with or without Cheney, Arkansas will be a downhill running team, pro style play action game. CBB is what he is. Also, we have a RS Sr QB, with 8 other returning veterans on offense. Make the move Cheney, hard watching this offense in the second half of games.

Paul

SwineGrind

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 11, 2015, 11:45:00 am
Yeah, hiring a successful NFL OC really put that LSU Offense on the map.

Sarcasm

I'm sure we can find a good OC.

They haven't been too shabby at WR. Same ole story at QB that LSU is becoming known for.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: SwineGrind on January 11, 2015, 11:02:53 am
So let's go after Dowell Loggains

He cut his NFL teeth with Jeff Fisher/Mike Munchak and the Titans.  Not one of the most imaginative offenses you'll see.

fullfan

Arkansa needs continuity on staff of we are ever going to reach potential. 

jkstock04

Be interesting to watch the inevitable backpeadling on here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Paul

maybe we'll look at the ex OU co-coordinators

ricepig

Smokescreen.............or is that smoke draw??..??

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Paul on January 11, 2015, 11:55:08 am
maybe we'll look at the ex OU co-coordinators

Are they willing to not run the spread?

Porked Tongue

If Cheney, wants to leave then THAT is why I would support him leaving.  It's not like everyone has voted him off the island.

If the tweet is true, he's the one walking.

Tim Harris

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 11, 2015, 11:28:37 am
No major coaching searches are reporting it. So, if true it appears to be in the very early stages.

Why do people think it has to be on one of those sites to be true?  Shannon was being reported for a while and no one wanted to believe it until one of those sites got it.

They are also the same people who said Buh was already lined up as our LB coach but we haven't hired him yet.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Quickdraw

If Chaney is not happy at Arkansas then he needs to figure out what he wants and leave. Beliema strikes me like the kind of guy who does not like surprises and is well aware of this situation. He also strikes me at the kind of man who is very very diligent in staying ahead of everything and has his short list of OC that fits his philosophy. So far Brett has done a very good coaching hires and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We shouldn't be worried looking at his past record.

HF#1

If he leaves, so be it.  I'm of the opinion he was mostly responsible for at least 2 losses this year.  Should a change be made, my expectations for next season will remain.  This probably won't be a big deal. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Lake City Hog

I'm not sure that BB is the type of guy that will put up with a lot of crap from an assistant. If he feels like a raised is justified he goes after it. If he feels like it isn't I'm not sure an assistant will twist his arm and get by with it.

Porked Tongue

Raises for next year are in place and were announced.  If they don't think it's enough and want to leave, let them go.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 11, 2015, 11:56:56 am
Why do people think it has to be on one of those sites to be true?  Shannon was being reported for a while and no one wanted to believe it until one of those sites got it.

They are also the same people who said Buh was already lined up as our LB coach but we haven't hired him yet.

I read Coaching Search almost every day in the offseason. They are right the majority of the time. They mentioned Robb Smith as a candidate hours after Ash left. Also called the Chaney and Pittman hires a day before they happened. They have good sources

Footballscoop is not the most accurrated. They called Buh being hired and also said Shannon interviewd for CBP. And CBB being in serious talked with Nebraska

HF#1

We saw improvement from individual players but not in play calling.  Basically if we got a big enough lead we could hang on to it.  But if the game was close or we were behind, we had no chance.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Quickdraw on January 11, 2015, 11:57:49 am
If Chaney is not happy at Arkansas then he needs to figure out what he wants and leave. Beliema strikes me like the kind of guy who does not like surprises and is well aware of this situation. He also strikes me at the kind of man who is very very diligent in staying ahead of everything and has his short list of OC that fits his philosophy. So far Brett has done a very good coaching hires and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We shouldn't be worried looking at his past record.

Bret Bielema

HF#1

Just to clarify, Pitt hasn't replaced what's his name yet, correct?  So Chaney is being considered for the HC job?  If that's the case, I'd say go.

Wildhog

Quote from: HF#1 on January 11, 2015, 12:04:29 pm
Just to clarify, Pitt hasn't replaced what's his name yet, correct?  So Chaney is being considered for the HC job?  If that's the case, I'd say go.

They hired Pat Narduzzi as HC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

regi

Pitt Hired Pete Narduzzi as HC, he and Cheney know each other

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2015, 11:18:08 am
Like how Chris Ash leaving wasn't a good thing?

Chris "Ohio $tate" Ash isn't 10% of what Robb Smith is

Tim Harris

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 11, 2015, 12:02:52 pm
I read Coaching Search almost every day in the offseason. They are right the majority of the time. They mentioned Robb Smith as a candidate hours after Ash left. Also called the Chaney and Pittman hires a day before they happened. They have good sources

Footballscoop is not the most accurrated. They called Buh being hired and also said Shannon interviewd for CBP. And CBB being in serious talked with Nebraska

And people on this board had Chaney & Pittman, George McDonald as WR coach, Shannon to LB and retain Taver to coach CBs well before it hit those sites.  I'm not saying they are bad at what they do but there are people on this board who are more connected than what they are.

online-with-swine

Quote from: idochog on January 11, 2015, 11:14:07 am
Maybe Brett told him to look around......

This rumor we going around on some other boards a couple weeks ago.

LRRandy

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 11, 2015, 12:06:51 pm

Chris "Ohio $tate" Ash isn't 10% of what Robb Smith is
the national championship game says hello
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogfaniam

Here is the thorn in the saddle

Georgia: Offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Brian Schottenheimer will earn more than $1 million annually, according to the Macon Telegraph.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hoglady

We need stability.
Would like to see Chaney stay at least another year and see how we do.
Don't see how starting over with a new offense could be a good thing.
Just don't think all our offensive woes at times are on Chaney.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 11, 2015, 12:11:33 pm
the national championship game says hello

Our defense improved over 80 spots in the rankings when he left.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2015, 12:12:55 pm
Our defense improved over 100 spots in the rankings when he left.
absolutely no question. I was just being snarky. I view it as a win win for both programs.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ccroft88

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on January 11, 2015, 11:36:55 am
Your first post and you bring up Kurt Roper? The offensive side of the ball got Muschamp fired at Florida and you bring in his OC? Im confused although he hasnt been let go by McElwain as I know of. Head scratcher for sure.

What does it being my first post have to do with anything. They had nothing at UF this year. He averaged 33 ppg at Duke. Chaney had just been on the outs at Tenn too when we brought him in. Yet you question Roper?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 11, 2015, 11:07:54 am
I don't think we should pay him more than he already earns.

If this salary and this job isn't enough to keep him over Pitt, then let him move.
I agree with this.  He is getting paid a fair amount here.  If it is not enough, let him move on and find the next guy.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

presidenthog

Well if this turns out to be true at least the athletic department will be saving money on eating expenses and jet fuel for our private jets because whoever we get will surely take less fuel to achieve flight with the reduction in on board weight

Mike_e

Pat Narduzzi was just hired there.

I am concerned about continuity too.  We just can't keep changing OCs and expect to get over the hump.  DCs maybe but it's always been easier to tear something up than to build it.

CJC's issues have mostly been in the guys executing the plays that were called.  Most of the time if the plays called were actually executed we would have won a lot more games.  I don't remember a time last year that the play calling cost us a game.

You might dispute that but if we'd done what we were supposed to then everything would have been alright.

If CJC is unhappy within the structure that CBB has put in place then he has to do what he's got to do BUT I would like to see the whole playbook run by a team that could execute the plays.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 11, 2015, 12:07:47 pm
And people on this board had Chaney & Pittman, George McDonald as WR coach, Shannon to LB and retain Taver to coach CBs well before it hit those sites.  I'm not saying they are bad at what they do but there are people on this board who are more connected than what they are.

I'm on here every day. Who are these people you speak of? Pittman and Chaney were mention as candidates people would like to see hired. But I don't remember anyone on this board calling it before it happened.

I for sure didn't see McDonald's name called before it happened. Nobody on here even knew he had a connection to CBB.

Feel free to proved me any link to any hogville thread I may have missed about this and I will gladly apologize.

hoglady

Quote from: The NewEra on January 11, 2015, 11:18:08 am
Our offense had a terrible record in scoring in the second half of games last year.  Chaney is responsible for that and it can't be contributed to a lack of talent at the WR spots since the same group did well in the first half of games. 

If we need to upgrade at this position the one key thing I would like to see is someone who is known for being an exceptional play caller.

I'm on the fence about Chaney and our second half woes.
It may be all on him and it may not.
Look at LSU - they've been through a slew of OC's and the offense continues to suck every year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: presidenthog on January 11, 2015, 12:17:36 pm
Well if this turns out to be true at least the athletic department will be saving money on eating expenses and jet fuel for our private jets because whoever we get will surely take less fuel to achieve flight with the reduction in on board weight

Seems like Pitt Fans love this possible hire. What little they know!

Horthawg

Quote from: jry04 on January 11, 2015, 11:14:24 am
Whether you like Chaney or not, you are crazy if you think him leaving is a good thing. We are a few weeks from signing day with a few big recruits with us in their top 3, and then supposedly current commits like KJ Hill on the fence. Losing our OC right before signing day could hurt us.

Give Chaney weapons to use, and he will put up big numbers.

But not many wins. See his record as an SEC off. coordinator.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

Tim Harris

If and at this point it is still a big IF that we need a OC but if we do here would be what I'm looking for....

1.  A QB coach - I don't care if it is college or NFL experience but I want someone that has spent their career working with QBs.  Don't give me someone who has spent most of their career coaching something else with a couple of years coaching QBs sprinkled in there.
2.  Experience in a pro style run heavy offense.  Bielema isn't changing to the spread so no reason to get an OC that has spent their career running that type of offense.  I want someone whose philosophy matches up with Coach B and doesn't have to go through a "learning process"
3.  Young coach who can relate to college kids
4.  Solid recruiter preferably with experience recruiting in the south but don't really care since QBs would be all he is looking for.

HF#1

Quote from: Mike_e on January 11, 2015, 12:18:53 pm
Pat Narduzzi was just hired there.

I am concerned about continuity too.  We just can't keep changing OCs and expect to get over the hump.  DCs maybe but it's always been easier to tear something up than to build it.

CJC's issues have mostly been in the guys executing the plays that were called.  Most of the time if the plays called were actually executed we would have won a lot more games.  I don't remember a time last year that the play calling cost us a game.

You might dispute that but if we'd done what we were supposed to then everything would have been alright.

If CJC is unhappy within the structure that CBB has put in place then he has to do what he's got to do BUT I would like to see the whole playbook run by a team that could execute the plays.

But it's on Chaney to open up that playbook.  We have a senior qb with 3 young guys behind him.  If I were going to make a change at OC, I'd want to make it right now.  Allen is a smart kid and will be able to adjust.  You can change offensive coordinators without making drastic changes to the scheme. 

I don't think Bielema is the type of guy that would hire someone who wants to change everything. 

Should Chaney leave, I think we need a guy that is skilled in coaching two things...  1. QB footwork and fundamentals.  2. Route running.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ccroft88 on January 11, 2015, 12:14:47 pm
What does it being my first post have to do with anything. They had nothing at UF this year. He averaged 33 ppg at Duke. Chaney had just been on the outs at Tenn too when we brought him in. Yet you question Roper?

Roper hasn't proven anything IMO. He was an OC under David Cutcliffe. How much was Roper and how Much was Cutcliffe?

He runs a spread type anyway. I don't think he is the guy

WilsonHog

If Bret wants Jim Chaney to be his OC, I am 100% behind that.

In fact, regardless of WHO Bret wants to be his OC, I am 100% behind it.

My support is unconditional.

Wildhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 11, 2015, 12:27:03 pm
If Bret wants Jim Chaney to be his OC, I am 100% behind that.

In fact, regardless of WHO Bret wants to be his OC, I am 100% behind it.

My support is unconditional.

As is mine.  I just have opinions.

It appears that CBB might share those opinions.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogfaniam

Quote from: presidenthog on January 11, 2015, 12:17:36 pm

That's just wrong....but since you went there, Jim says

[attachment deleted by admin]
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jkstock04

Quote from: Mike_e on January 11, 2015, 12:18:53 pm

You could say this same thing about any coach, and OC, any system, any play.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

(notOM)Rebel123

Who are the "multiple" sources that Bo is referring to?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Tim Harris

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 11, 2015, 12:19:37 pm
I'm on here every day. Who are these people you speak of? Pittman and Chaney were mention as candidates people would like to see hired. But I don't remember anyone on this board calling it before it happened.

I for sure didn't see McDonald's name called before it happened. Nobody on here even knew he had a connection to CBB.

Feel free to proved me any link to any hogville thread I may have missed about this and I will gladly apologize.

Not trying to be a jerk here but there is a search function if you would like to look for threads.  I don't have them off the top of my head.

Again coaching search does a good job but they aren't always first or always right.