Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Robb Smith's Contract is Worth Every Penny

Started by Josh Goforth, January 10, 2015, 07:25:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Goforth

"Press the hip, wrap and roll, sweep the ankle.....all fundamentals that have been instilled into the Arkansas defense. Robb Smith has transformed a bend and mostly break group into a stifling, swarming top-level SEC defense."
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/1/8/7507993/long-form-why-robb-smiths-new-contract-is-worth-every-penny

Arkansas has a tradition of great linebacker play by undersized, underrecruited and undervalued guys. If Smith makes half as much progress in this offseason as he did in 2014 will the results again surpass expectations? Probably not since we are still impatient hog fans wearing those Razorback red colored lenses, but a steady improvement will keep the Hogs headed in the right direction in 2015.

Pig Worshipper

Good read overall but I don't agree with the premise that alot of fans were vocally critical of the Robb Smith hire. Most people had a wait and see attitude because they just didn't know anything about him. The only folks who were negative to the hire that I saw were the hard-core Bielema haters on the board.
Yes, he definitely is worth the money he's getting.

westside_player

We'll see how good he is. I don't think he's any better than most the other defensive coaches in football.  He had a lot of good players to work with this year who had a lot of experience.

sowmonella

Quote from: westside_player on January 10, 2015, 08:26:45 am
We'll see how good he is. I don't think he's any better than most the other defensive coaches in football.  He had a lot of good players to work with this year who had a lot of experience.

Do you really think he had better players than Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Florida, Georgia and etc? Come on.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Lake City Hog

While I do think that we have a good bunch of players, talented players, I think Smith succeeded in maximizing that talent better than any DC at Arkansas in a very long time. I believe that his schemes and his overall philosophy put our players in the best position to win most battles.

Looking at this team compared to a year ago is like looking at the difference in daylight and darkness. The improvement have been simply astounding, at least to me.

tophawg19

Smith belongs in the million dollar club along with most of the better SEC D/C's. he turned a very poor defense into a top group in one year. we are going to have to pay more to keep him.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Theolesnort

You think so........Then where were they in 2013? Don't be so obtuse because the good players you saw this season were developed between the 2013 season and 2014 season plus early season games this year. In a nutshell that is why Smith and this defensive staff is so good. Good grief!
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Dropkick

WOW

OTTER

Yep, there's always that ONE person---always. 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Hog N Bama

Are you kidding me? ???

Choctaw Hog

Most of the same from the previous year with much different results.  But, don't let the fact get in the way of you pessimism.

Hawgzinbowlz

Worth every penny, for every year of his contract. He coordinates an Arkansas defense that meets CBB standards.
Some of the bulbs are dimmer.

" GO HOGS "

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2015, 09:04:01 am
Smith belongs in the million dollar club along with most of the better SEC D/C's. he turned a very poor defense into a top group in one year. we are going to have to pay more to keep him.

And we did pay him, he's paid well. In a couple of years if our defense continues to be solid, then he'll be rewarded again.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: OTTER on January 10, 2015, 09:16:03 am
Yep, there's always that ONE person---always. 

The glass is always half empty to losers.  It's what they do. 

Doug

Quote from: westside_playerWe'll see how good he is. I don't think he's any better than most the other defensive coaches in football.  He had a lot of good players to work with this year who had a lot of experience.
Umm....

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

jkstock04

I disagree. I think his scheme is light years better than what we have seen at Arkansas in the recent past.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The NewEra

Do you always smoke that stuff just before coming on Hogville to post?

Pork Twain

Wow...  Better to be presumed an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.

Arkansas fans (and all college football fans) are notoriously unrealistic , fickle, impatient, short-sighted and quick to react to everything.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgey-Davidson

olesnort got it right. OBTUSE.

tophawg19

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2015, 09:17:05 am
And we did pay him, he's paid well. In a couple of years if our defense continues to be solid, then he'll be rewarded again.
i disagree Rice . look at the top SEC D/C's  all are over 1 million  including some of the new ones . We need to pay him well now to avoid battling for him later .

longpig

January 10, 2015, 10:28:38 am #20 Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:41:31 am by longpig
We saw how good he is, we'll see if he can repeat.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2015, 10:26:32 am
  i disagree Rice . look at the top SEC D/C's  all are over 1 million  including some of the new ones . We need to pay him well now to avoid battling for him later .

Which new ones? Everybody seems to happy, we raised his salary over 50% for the life of the contract, no worries.

tophawg19

look up the SEC D/C's and see where he ranks in pay

longpig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2015, 10:43:26 am
How many of those SEC D/C's making more are in their first year on the job?

tophawg19

several and even more when LSU makes their hire .

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2015, 10:43:26 am

Just because other's are foolishly wasting money, you think we should? He's fine with his contract, but Hogville likes to spend Monopoly money, or other's money.

tophawg19

This is the SEC . if you want to compete. you have to spend the money others do. otherwise they buy yours if it's better . yours is the logic that keep us with low end coaches for so many years . hire cheap and hope they work out. then the ones that did got hired away. if you want top 10 defense , you gotta pay top ten money because someone else will

Hawgzinbowlz

January 10, 2015, 11:39:06 am #27 Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:54:40 pm by Hawgzinbowlz
Giving Chris Ash $550,000.00 to start followed by $500,000.00 for Coach Smiths starting pay indicates CRS starting salary was an entry level salary (lol). We needed to see what Coach Robb Smith could do and his performance was exemplary.
His current contract is a fair and balanced contract when compared to his past salary, room for future increases and the comparable pay of defensive coordinator's in the SEC. +1 to Jeff Long for negotiating a reasonable contract that Coach Smith signed.
I hope it is enough for 2+ years.

" GO HOGS "

longpig

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2015, 11:34:35 am
This is the SEC . if you want to compete. you have to spend the money others do. otherwise they buy yours if it's better . yours is the logic that keep us with low end coaches for so many years . hire cheap and hope they work out. then the ones that did got hired away. if you want top 10 defense , you gotta pay top ten money because someone else will

He has a non-compete clause with the SEC, you do know what that means? I'm beginning to think you don't. Did MSU spend the money other's do? We compete for our stadium size, we aren't ever going to spend with the big boys, you need a lesson in accounting.

PorkRinds

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 10, 2015, 11:34:35 am

His contract is fine and has a 50k raise built in each year. It also gives us some room to work with should someone come after him.