Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Random rule change discussion

Started by d1nonlyhogfan, January 09, 2015, 03:49:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

d1nonlyhogfan

So I had a thought about a rule change that would change the game of football quite drastically, but I don't know that it would be a bad thing. I SERIOUSLY doubt it would ever happen, but maybe it would encourage more offensive balance as a whole across the game.

What I'm talking about is changing the rule so that an incomplete pass does not stop the clock. Now there would need to be exceptions, such as snapping the ball and spiking it to save time if you're out of timeouts. But beyond any foreseeable or unforeseeable exceptions needed, what do you guys think would be the ramifications of such a change? Some games (such as games between two spread passing teams) would become shortened, whereas games between two power run teams would not see a huge change in time of play.

This would actually lead to more predictable game lengths, which could be helpful for TV scheduling purposes, etc. Also, I feel it would lead to interesting changes in offensive strategy for most teams, especially those who rely on the quick passing game.

Thoughts? (my feelings won't be hurt by any comments of "wow that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard") I'd like to get at least a few good comments on it.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Doug

"Ring Ring Ring Ringggggg"

::picks up telephone:: "Hello"?

"Uhh, hi. This is last week calling. Seems we never never finished our conversation here...."

(Do understand that I'm just giving you grief, please. :))
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Doug on January 09, 2015, 03:52:58 pm
"Ring Ring Ring Ringggggg"

::picks up telephone:: "Hello"?

"Uhh, hi. This is last week calling. Seems we never never finished our conversation here...."

(Do understand that I'm just giving you grief, please. :))
LOL - Sorry, I've been in the middle of work travel, and I missed this original thread. Feel free to merge if you think it's completely redundant.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

thirrdegreetusker

In the olden days, there may have been just one game-quality football in the stadium. So retrieving that same ball over and over would have worn someone out.

But with a sack full of game balls on the sideline, and a guy hovering there to keep one ready, like we have now, it might be a good idea.

Doug

Nah, d1... just saw an opportunity to give ya grief. Couldn't pass it up. :D

Now to answer your question: With the multi-million (probably soon to be multi-billion) dollar contracts ESPN is paying out... the longer the game goes, the more they can charge advertisers to recoup some of their costs.

As long as ESPN is involved and giving away money, they're not going to do anything that would shorten their cash cow.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Doug on January 09, 2015, 04:13:15 pm
Nah, d1... just saw an opportunity to give ya grief. Couldn't pass it up. :D
I thought it was funny, and I took no offense. :D

Dr. Starcs

I don't think you need to go that far. However, continuing to run the clock on first downs like the nfl would be a great start.

razorbackkid

The scoring in football is outdated.

Field goals:

Inside the ten yard line.....1 point
Inside the twenty....2 points
Inside the thirty.....3 points
Inside the fourty....4 points
Inside the fifty....5 points.

Touchdowns....change to point value to 9.  I'm tired of 6.

Kickoff returns for td's sure count for 2 points.

Three personal fouls should result in -1 point.

Winners of the coin flip should should get to keep the coin.

That's all I got.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.