Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark. DC Robb Smith In Studio Raw Interview (Sports Talk With Bo Mattingly)

Started by Aaron Peters, January 08, 2015, 05:16:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Peters

Arkansas defensive coordinator Robb Smith was in studio with Bo Mattingly on Thursday afternoon.  Hear from coach Smith on the season, his contract extension and a lot more in these clips from Thursday's SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly show.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/robb-smith-in-studio-on-sportstalk-with-bo-matting/42481/HaocpilG_EeTXx0DydGdyw

Hawgey-Davidson

Hawgzinbowlz

Wow. I like his coaching and his demeanor/approach with the program.

" GO HOGS "

The NewEra

PorkRinds

Two things. first, I'm really impressed with Smith and thankful that he seems to be on board for a good while. Second, Bo should be shamed for having his guests wear the cheapest headphones ever! Get them something quality not $10 Sony headphones!

Calling All Hogs

Hope Robb will stay and wait a while until the right head coaching job comes his way.

MuskogeeHogFan

Robb Smith is a class act and as I remember his wife's comments about being so happy to be a part of the Arkansas football family, it seems that they are on the same page. That ALWAYS makes it easier for a coach who has to dedicate so much time to work and being away from the family. "Happy wife, happy life", comes to mind. Coach Smith is very good at what he does and I was encouraged to hear that the morning after the Texas game, he was already thinking about getting back to work to plan how to produce similar or better results next year.

I love his comment, not the first time I have heard it but it tells you a lot about his mindset, "if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse", or words to that effect. Amen brother. Glad to have him as our DC.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogpkins

Great interview. I really liked the point CRS made near the end of the interview when he was talking about how proud he was of his seniors. He named off the major contributors: Flowers, Spaight, Turner, Tevin, Braylon. He said this is the 4th time they've been through this and heard the spiel about buying into the process (blah blah blah) - but these guys really listened and believed and were willing.

Our defense's worst-to-first turnaround this year, led by our seniors, was already a remarkable story. But when you remember this was our senior's 4th new def coord in 4 years, 4th speech they'd heard in 4 years, in the midst of a seemingly endless losing streak, then you realize just how incredible this group of seniors is.

wacohog

He's going to be a very good HC some day

Love to know what happened in Houston that caught his attn

IBleedRazorbackRed

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogpkins on January 08, 2015, 09:08:58 pm
Great interview. I really liked the point CRS made near the end of the interview when he was talking about how proud he was of his seniors. He named off the major contributors: Flowers, Spaight, Turner, Tevin, Braylon. He said this is the 4th time they've been through this and heard the spiel about buying into the process (blah blah blah) - but these guys really listened and believed and were willing.

Our defense's worst-to-first turnaround this year, led by our seniors, was already a remarkable story. But when you remember this was our senior's 4th new def coord in 4 years, 4th speech they'd heard in 4 years, in the midst of a seemingly endless losing streak, then you realize just how incredible this group of seniors is.

They were hungry for success given all that they had been through. But what makes them so special is what you allude to...they could have simply said, "we have heard all of this several times before", and checked it in. But that isn't what happened. Hats off to these Seniors and their leadership. Any successful team has to have this.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorBassin

We are blessed to have Coach Smith.  If we actually hold on to him for 2 more years I will be grateful.  This guy is a head coach within 2 years and probably could be now.  Every time I hear him talk I learn something.   If Bielema ever leaves for the NFL, I would absolutely be ok with CRS becoming the head Hog.

Hawgzinbowlz

With the temps what they are I'm stayin' by the fire and decided to listen to the interview for a second time. A few thoughts ;

I would like the relationship between Coach Robb Smith and The UofA to stay connected at the highest level possible, and continue that way even if he leaves for a vertical job change.

If it would keep him here slightly longer (or simply on deserved general principles) it wouldn't hurt my feelings if CBB were to bestow the assistant Head Coach title on Coach Smith (the same title that exited Fayetteville and headed South to Gainesville).

Coach Robb Smith is a quality person/coach.

" GO HOGS "

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cresthog

He's gone from nobody Hogville loser hire to head coach in 2 years.

Gotta love Hogville!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Cresthog on January 09, 2015, 09:32:46 am

Gotta love Hogville!

Mattingly can be included in the "mystified/wth that we hired this guy" camp, along with SOME of Hogville.

" GO HOGS "

azhog10

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on January 09, 2015, 10:17:53 am
Mattingly can be included in the "mystified/wth that we hired this guy" camp, along with SOME of Hogville.

" GO HOGS "
I loved how he tried to admit that he didn't believe in the hire at first, but he did it by saying a lot of the Arkansas fan base didn't agree with the hire.

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on January 09, 2015, 10:19:47 am
I loved how he tried to admit that he didn't believe in the hire at first, but he did it by saying a lot of the Arkansas fan base didn't agree with the hire.

He included himself, and took his mea culpa.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: azhog10 on January 09, 2015, 10:19:47 am

LOL
It was amusing that Bo's assistant spliced together sound bites about the hire and the majority were Bo's questioning of the hire.
Bo manages to keep his head above water (as long as it's not too deep, 5' 1" or close).
fwiw : Initially I felt good about the Coach Robb Smith hire, after looking at his background/resume (any NFL guy knows a little). Any hire CBB makes is an, at worst, wait and see proposition for me. I do think he (CBB) knows how to assemble a staff and delegate.

" GO HOGS "

Dr. Starcs

I absolutely love what coach smith was able to do this year. However, many folks were lobbying for Paul petrino to be our next head coach. Lets give this some time.

RazorBassin

Quote from: Cresthog on January 09, 2015, 09:32:46 am

Gotta love Hogville!

Partridge went from the D-line coach to a head coach gig.  I think if we end the season in the top 10 in defense again and we have a record to go along with it.  We will be lucky to keep Coach Smith past next year.  The difference in this defense in one year is astounding.  I cannot wait to see what next year holds for this team.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 09, 2015, 10:34:52 am
I absolutely love what coach smith was able to do this year. However, many folks were lobbying for Paul petrino to be our next head coach. Lets give this some time.

The similarity between these two situations is that the opinion about both coaches changed dramatically from 'before the season' to 'after the season'. Some were positive/neutral to negative and some went from negative/neutral to positive.

" GO HOGS "

Calling All Hogs

I was optimistic about the Robb Smith hire although I never dreamed he would be this successful his first year.  Success leaves clues. In 2012 Robb helped Rutgers have a top 10 defense in what was described as a "stunning college football turnaround". Sound familiar? Robb Smith is the real deal.

Hawgzinbowlz

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on January 08, 2015, 06:49:07 pm
This guy is impressive. Hope he sticks around for a long time.

Yeah, that was impressive.

That guy has a plan for everything.  This top 10 defense didn't happen by accident.