Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith: $750,000 next year with $50,000 raises annually

Started by swinesation, December 04, 2014, 06:55:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Robb Smith's salary be raised to?

$600,000
41 (7.8%)
$700,000
119 (22.5%)
$800,000
203 (38.4%)
$900,000
66 (12.5%)
$1,000,000
99 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 523

root_hawg

swinesation

PonderinHog

He makes more than the POTUS!

He had a better year than the POTUS!

:razorback:

sowmonella

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 05, 2015, 04:05:01 pm
He makes more than the POTUS!

He had a better year than the POTUS!

:razorback:

Joan Rivers had a better year than the POTUS.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

cosmodrum

Give him $200 and a hotel on Boardwalk
Go away, batin'

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 05, 2014, 10:29:24 am
Poll is invalid without Frito Pie as an option.
Easy fix for that. Offer R.S. whatever seems fair and competitive PLUS throw in the bonus of all the frito pies he and his family can eat in a year!!! That'll blow all the competition out of the water!! ;) :) :D ;D 8) :P

1hogfan

Pay him whatever it takes to keep LSU from hiring him! Les Miles needs someone to help him keep his job and he lost the man who did that for years. They need a DC and I am worried.

Deep Shoat

$850000 and a non-compete is what we are looking at.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 1hogfan on January 05, 2015, 04:40:33 pm
Pay him whatever it takes to keep LSU from hiring him! Les Miles needs someone to help him keep his job and he lost the man who did that for years. They need a DC and I am worried.

Deal has already in been signed. Has a non compete clause for other SEC schools

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 05, 2015, 04:26:13 pm
Easy fix for that. Offer R.S. whatever seems fair and competitive PLUS throw in the bonus of all the frito pies he and his family can eat in a year!!! That'll blow all the competition out of the water!! ;) :) :D ;D 8) :P
I'll do it just for the frito pie...
All Gas, No Brakes!

jackflash

I believe he needs a raise I would 800,000 or better. Since Shannon has left. I would raise Jennings to 500,00. Both for three years.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 05, 2015, 04:43:19 pm
I'll do it just for the frito pie...
Ahh.........but you're a man who has a world renown taste for the BEST things in life!! Not everyone is so fortunate. ;D

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 05, 2015, 04:47:32 pm
Ahh.........but you're a man who has a world renown taste for the BEST things in life!! Not everyone is so fortunate. ;D
Who needs money when you have unlimited frito pie!!
All Gas, No Brakes!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 05, 2015, 04:48:45 pm
Who needs money when you have unlimited frito pie!!
Spoken like the incredibly wise man you are, sir!

texas tush hog

Quote from: LZH on December 04, 2014, 07:32:38 pm
Yeah, when I railed against our coaches getting raises, I forgot about ol' Robb.  He did a hellacious job this year....particularly in the second half of the season.  I say bump him to $800K or so and see what happens next year.

Not taking anything away from Robb Smith, but our d-line (Segrest) and secondary (Clay Jennings) improved exponentially as well.Both did the same as everbody is saying Robb did and they too with the same players, just sayin. I could see each with a bump of 50%. Putting Robb at $750,000  Jennings at $425,000 and Segrest at $325,000. We still gotta hire a linebackers coach to replace Shannon and from what I am hearing out of College Station a WR coach to replace Michael Smith if not one more.

Hogs-n-Roses

I said 1 mil. because we need to make a statement to the man. I haven't seen a defense improve like that in a long time. Can't keep starting over. One of the big boys will come after him and pay it if we play low ball. Plus wasn't that Bielema's beef wit Alveraz?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 04, 2014, 09:57:34 pm
How does this turn into a bash Chaney thread. Sheesh.

It doesn't matter with some people. When the word "coach" is used in a thread they see it as an opportunity to do so.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorbacker3

Quote from: PORKULATOR on December 04, 2014, 07:33:02 pm
Just pay him whatever it takes to keep him.Wps
^^^^^^^ this
ftfy

zcpears

Pork Twain

Nice to see us stepping up to pay these guys
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: zcpears on January 05, 2015, 06:39:58 pm
ESPN reports 3 years, $750,000 with $50,000 increase each year. Non-compete.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12125014/arkansas-defensive-coordinator-robb-smith-signs-new-contract

I think this is very reasonable in today's market.  Good bump for what he accomplished but leaves room for further reward/bumps if he keeps improving.  Also like the non-compete.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pork Twain

Highest paid assistant in Arkansas history?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

opineonswine

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 05, 2015, 06:45:12 pm
I think this is very reasonable in today's market.  Good bump for what he accomplished but leaves room for further reward/bumps if he keeps improving.  Also like the non-compete.
I agree

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: root_hawg on December 06, 2014, 12:43:47 am
If he has a bad defense next year, will he give the raise back?

Of course he would because he would realize that he went from a great coach to a bad coach in just one year.   

Hogarusa

He did great things in year 1 but I have never seen fans of a 2-6 conference team stump so much or hard to get an assistant coach such a substantial raise.  I haven't heard his name linked to 1 other job.  I would go with 10%, which is double what I usually receive.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ricepig

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 05, 2015, 07:19:52 pm
He did great things in year 1 but I have never seen fans of a 2-6 conference team stump so much or hard to get an assistant coach such a substantial raise.  I haven't heard his name linked to 1 other job.  I would go with 10%, which is double what I usually receive.

Yeah, but did you improve productivity as much in one year as he did?

Fayettechill14

mrs. hawgndodge

@ClowESPN: Big money being thrown around for D-coordinators, but Hogs' Robb Smith worth every penny. Going to $750,000 per year. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12125014/arkansas-defensive-coordinator-robb-smith-signs-new-contract

ricepig

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 05, 2015, 07:44:56 pm
per ESPN's Mark Schlabach

Probably pretty close, our locals will FOI it, and we'll know the fine details soon.

ldfergu

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hawg_Thai'd

I like it. Hopefully that will keep him here for a spell. IMO he is worth that. I want to see the Hogs play in the Playoff and Coach Smith can prepare us a defense for that. Coach Jennings needs to be a part of this as well. The secondary played outstanding compared to years past and CJ had a big part in that. Lets keep this train a rollin'! WPS  :razorback:
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Hawgzinbowlz

Good to see we're doing what it takes to keep Coach Smith for a while longer.
His defense will help fill the seats.

" GO HOGS "

tophawg19

wish it was more . compared to what the rest of the SEC  is starting to pay the high end guys, this isn't enough . the big boys are paying 1 million +. we need to be in that group to keep him
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 05, 2015, 08:02:15 pm
wish it was more . compared to what the rest of the SEC  is starting to pay the high end guys, this isn't enough . the big boys are paying 1 million +. we need to be in that group to keep him

Why? It's like Bielema said in the PC, we were a 2-6 conference team, it's what was deserved from that.

MuskogeeHogFan

It is his first year. If he produces similarly next season, I expect this will be re-worked slightly. Long and Bielema are going to take care of him as long as he produces. Though offense traditionally puts butts in the bleachers, this defense with an improving offense can produce sell outs and sell one heck of a lot of Hog merchandise and increase our value in the SEC t.v. package.

Who would have thought (according to some) that defense might actally put butts in the bleachers?
Go Hogs Go!

pigbacon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 05, 2015, 08:07:26 pm
It is his first year. If he produces similarly next season, I expect this will be re-worked slightly. Long and Bielema are going to take care of him as long as he produces. Though offense traditionally puts butts in the bleachers, this defense with an improving offense can produce sell outs and sell one heck of a lot of Hog merchandise and increase our value in the SEC t.v. package.

Who would have thought (according to some) that defense might actally put butts in the bleachers?

I concur.

PorkSoda

well, once we start winning NC's then we can start paying coaches at that level.  if you pay them NC salary now, you will have to up the ante again once we start winning.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Twain

At the moment we do not.  There are a LOT more coaches not making more than $1 million a year, I believe that number would be about 7 out of all NCAA teams.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Lake City Hog

Guys, his 3rd year of the contract he will be making $900k. That ain't bad at all.

Deep Shoat

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN  2h2 hours ago
Big money being thrown around for D-coordinators, but Hogs' Robb Smith worth every penny. Going to $750,000 per year. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12125014/arkansas-defensive-coordinator-robb-smith-signs-new-contract ...
All Gas, No Brakes!

jackflash

I am just glad its a three year deal. I think we should give Jennings a three year deal.

Hawgzinbowlz

Sounds reasonable.

CRS defense will help fill the seats.

" GO HOGS "

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

redeye

Chavis will probably make twice this at Texas A&M, but I agree that it's a good number for his first year.  Goes up $50,000 each year and will probably be renegotiated for much more if he continues having great success.  If we have a top-20 defense next year, they need to bump it over $1M immediately.

Someone mentioned on another board that it also included a non-compete clause for SEC teams.  Anyone else heard that?

Hogfan46

Someone mentioned on another board that it also included a non-compete clause for SEC teams.  Anyone else heard that?
[/quote]

CBB in his press conference said all new contracts for his assistant coaches have that clause. 

memphishog31