Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB's Grade: End of Year Two Regular Season

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, December 04, 2014, 02:43:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is CBB grade through first two seasons?

A
171 (26.1%)
B
365 (55.8%)
C
95 (14.5%)
D
16 (2.4%)
F
7 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 641

TheRazorbackGuy

I'm going with a B. The recruiting, player development and improvement is there. The hiring of Robb Smith was also brilliant by CBB

HF#1

B.  Gotta fix the second half offense. Other than that, he's doing a great job.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jackflash

If his offensive could have thrown the ball better would have given him A+

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jackflash on December 04, 2014, 02:54:05 pm
If his offensive could have thrown the ball better would have given him A+

Maybe doing what he did to Chris "Ohio $tate" Ash will be what has to do with Chaney after the bowl game. Mike Sherman is still out there looking for an OC job as is others.

hogsanity

I gave him an A. The turn around so far has been remarkable. Can't fix it all at once, so he fixed the defense first, all while installing an offense that will only get better, and putting together what looks to be, on paper at least, a pretty darn good class.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Overall B because of WR production (C) and offensive execution (C) and early season kicking (D), A everywhere else.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

31to6

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 04, 2014, 02:43:03 pm
I'm going with a B. The recruiting, player development and improvement is there. The hiring of Robb Smith was also brilliant by CBB
Agree. B.

Pigdiana Jones

6-6 record. That's average. In school, any person that was said to be "average" on letter grades got a C. So, he gets a C in my eyes.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

arkfan81

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on December 04, 2014, 03:35:21 pm
6-6 record. That's average. In school, any person that was said to be "average" on letter grades got a C. So, he gets a C in my eyes.

Our 6-6 "could" have been and 8-4 or 7-5. Our mistakes cost us two games that could have been a w. I think we are better then average.
Have faith...

HF#1

Quote from: arkfan81 on December 04, 2014, 03:45:52 pm
Our 6-6 "could" have been and 8-4 or 7-5. Our mistakes cost us two games that could have been a w. I think we are better then average.

With competent 2nd half play offensively we could have won 9 or 10 games.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 04, 2014, 03:48:08 pm

For next year I want to see an honest, open QB competition where the best player plays, and plays with confidence. 

And who is going to be the judge of whether that happens or not, since practice is closed most of the time?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jek Tono Porkins

Considering the circumstances, he gets a B+ from me. I thought that this would be a good season if we went to a bowl and we didn't get blown out by anyone.
Going to a bowl? Check.
Not getting blown out by anyone? Check, and in fact we were competitive in the final seconds in all of our games except Georgia.
The fact that we shut out an SEC team is a bonus.
The fact that we did it twice is a double bonus.

Now it's true that we did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but if I told you at the beginning of the season that we would lose to A&M in OT, lose to Bama by one point, and lose by a touchdown to the #1 team on their home field, you would have thought I was crazy. Based on the talent level alone we shouldn't have been competitive in those games.

This team has played waaaaaaaaaaaaaay above their talent level this season.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on December 04, 2014, 03:51:07 pm
And who is going to be the judge of whether that happens or not, since practice is closed most of the time?
Have to be someone from Hogville
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BRUTUS POUNDCAKE

B- for me. Showed improvement in almost all areas.  He needs to assert himself more when it's needed as the leader of this team. Many times he seems to just let the boat float itself without any steering corrections.

If you are giving him an A at this point you are nutts.  Low expectations for so many years has completely warped what some of you perceive as success.  Improvement yes - is he there, not yet but at least he is trending in that direction.

hogsanity

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 04, 2014, 03:54:20 pm
The court of public opinion, as it always is. 

In other words, no matter what happens in practice, if people do not like the offense they will ASSume that the starter was just handed the job, and did not have to work for it, right?

urkillnmesmalls

Gotta go with a B..but a high B based on how dramatic the turnaround was on defense.  The only thing holding him back from an A is the still questionable play calling at times.  I would like to see a breakdown of how many yards we gained per toss sweep on the year.  Our team is just not built for that play, but they continue to try to run it. I'd rather see us go with the quick WR pass like we did a few times to Hatcher than to use the sweep to stretch the field laterally. 

I also felt like we were too predictable on 1st down.  We had great success when we passed on first down late in the season, and I hope they take note of that.  Just more variety in general...keep 'em guessing, and then his signature power run will work like a charm.

I definitely like the direction we are going in.  But...one thing has me worried.  Flowers is a rock out there.  He's a difference maker, and replacing him will be difficult.  I thought it was a valid point that was made during the Bama vs Aub game when one of the announcers said that Bama is missing a difference maker to rush the QB.  Being able to rush 4 and get pressure is an invaluable thing, and Flowers gives us that shot on virtually every down.  That will be missed.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DLUXHOG

I've supported and followed the Hogs for a long time, and I don't ever recall recruiting being close to the level it is now...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 04, 2014, 03:58:24 pm
I've supported and followed the Hogs for a long time, and I don't ever recall recruiting being close to the level it is now...

There is a reason you don't recall it, because it has never been.  Now, it is a little hard to go back into the 70's or farther because of the proliferation of recruiting services, ranking, etc.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 04, 2014, 03:58:24 pm

It's arguable that we've had classes as good as determined LATER, and we've had spurts of in state talent that helped it look better than it really was at times, but I agree with you.  They're really hitting the national stage with this staff.

What's even better is, once some UA kids start performing in the NFL, that will do nothing but improve recruiting.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hoggiedawg

C+

Negatives
Fourth quarter offense was terrible.  Questionable clock management at times.  Discipline breakdowns that shouldn't have happened and manifested with back breaking personal fouls.  Terrible kicking game to start off the season.  Lack of adjustment to defensive play in the second half.

Positives
Great improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  Improved QB play compared to last season.  TE development is awesome.  Good recruiting to fill weaknesses/depth.  Winning season if we win bowl game/going to a bowl.  Great first half game plans.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on December 04, 2014, 03:59:42 pm
There is a reason you don't recall it, because it has never been.  Now, it is a little hard to go back into the 70's or farther because of the proliferation of recruiting services, ranking, etc.

I've followed and supported the Hogs beginning in the late 60's to early 70's...  What I cannot comprehend, is why, our recruiting appears to be light years better than say, when Lou Holtz's 77' team was in the hunt for a NC.....   We definitely have folks on this staff that know how to recruit A+ talent...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 04, 2014, 04:09:20 pm
I've followed and supported the Hogs beginning in the late 60's to early 70's...  What I cannot comprehend, is why, our recruiting appears to be light years better than say, when Lou Holtz's 77' team was in the hunt for a NC.....   We definitely have folks on this staff that know how to recruit A+ talent...

There was no A+ recruiting in the 1960s they wouldn't even let african-americans play.

Quickdraw

Quote from: HF#1 on December 04, 2014, 02:43:54 pm
B.  Gotta fix the second half offense. Other than that, he's doing a great job.

Agree 100%

sickboy

How does a 6-6 record in football equate to a C average in academics? Other than both are able to be quantified in numerical values?

The problem is -- every student is an individual with unique sets of skills. I can sleep through any class and get a C. Some people have to bust their hump to make C's... the problem there is... that doesn't make me smarter than the guy who has to work his butt off. Just different. So, there... my effort isn't equivalent to my grade. It just puts a numerical value on answers I got right vs. answers I got wrong. Which I guess you could say is equivalent to wins/losses in football, but the problem is the answers on the math tests are trying to punch me in the face.

If a football team goes 6-6... saying that's worth a C average in academics is just putting an arbitrary grade on football. When in reality, 6-6 isn't so black and white. If it was black and white, then there would be no argument to say that Arkansas is a better team than half the Big Sky Conference... because they all won more games than us.

MJ2

Steef

A

He made a few in game mistakes. But even Nick does that.

As CEO, he replaced Ash with a DC we didnt even know...and we have our best defense in years.

He recruits like crazy.

He keeps our program clean.

He's building us in an obviously positive direction.

Players and their parents love him.

A.

gmarv

I went with B I thought we would go 6-6 or 7-5 at the start of the year.i just didn,t think we would look so good going 6-6.could we of, should we of won more, yeah maybe.the thing is you can probable look back and see games we should of won every year.this year was a fun year in watching the kids just give there all game after game.we all love to win but I don,t see how anybody can,t get behind a team like this?

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on December 04, 2014, 04:05:27 pm
C+

Negatives
Fourth quarter offense was terrible.  Questionable clock management at times.  Discipline breakdowns that shouldn't have happened and manifested with back breaking personal fouls.  Terrible kicking game to start off the season.  Lack of adjustment to defensive play in the second half.

Positives
Great improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  Improved QB play compared to last season.  TE development is awesome.  Good recruiting to fill weaknesses/depth.  Winning season if we win bowl game/going to a bowl.  Great first half game plans.

Dead on.  I gave him a C as well.  Close out 3 of the other 4 or 5 ballgames we should have won and I'd have to give him an A.  But we get that deer in the headlights look and you know what's coming before it even happens.  Gotta quit totally collapsing in the 4th quarter. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: gmarv on December 04, 2014, 04:54:59 pm
I went with B I thought we would go 6-6 or 7-5 at the start of the year.i just didn,t think we would look so good going 6-6.could we of, should we of won more, yeah maybe.the thing is you can probable look back and see games we should of won every year.this year was a fun year in watching the kids just give there all game after game.we all love to win but I don,t see how anybody can,t get behind a team like this?

I also went with a B. He is heading in the right and correct direction.

PoormansRobbyHampton

C+. Happy with the direction of the program as a whole, recruiting has been great but I'm extraordinarily concerned about our passing game. I don't know if it's a Brandon Allen problem, a wide receiver problem or what.

More likely, it's a combination of both, but we should find out next year with Allen almost definitely being the starter, but we get an influx of talent at the skill positions.

tweakmyhamstrings

hogcard1964

I meant to give him a C but accidentally marked D.  Can I change it?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 04, 2014, 03:48:08 pm
C at best.

He hasn't developed quarterbacks that were highly regarded.

He hasn't won close games where our talent was on par with our competition (everyone's favorite argument early in the season).  On 4 different occasions we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. 

We beat an LSU that amazingly had a harder time passing the ball than us.

We beat an Ole Miss team without primary weapons on offense, and our best defensive game of the year. 

For next year I want to see an honest, open QB competition where the best player plays, and plays with confidence. 

I also want to see a balanced attack on offense.  That doesn't mean run, run, run in the 1st half, and pass, pass, pass in the 2nd half. 

If defenses are still routinely putting 8-9 in the box against us next year, then there will be no doubt there's a fundamental problem with our offensive strategy and execution. 

"Hasn't developed quarterbacks that were highly regarded" -- wrong on both accounts. Definitely, Arkansas needs to recruit SEC-class quarterbacks. So do a lot of other teams.

"Hasn't won close games where our talent was on par with our competition" -- when Arkansas had similar or better talent, Bielema won big every time save Missouri, which brings the whole injured-QB argument I'm not willing to re-enter.

Your excuses about the LSU and Ole Miss wins are extremely lame. Those were opponents with superior talent, beaten like a drum due to strategy and preparation.
[CENSORED]!

wildhogman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 04, 2014, 05:23:09 pm
"Hasn't developed quarterbacks that were highly regarded" -- wrong on both accounts. Definitely, Arkansas needs to recruit SEC-class quarterbacks. So do a lot of other teams.

"Hasn't won close games where our talent was on par with our competition" -- when Arkansas had similar or better talent, Bielema won big every time save Missouri, which brings the whole injured-QB argument I'm not willing to re-enter.

Your excuses about the LSU and Ole Miss wins are extremely lame. Those were opponents with superior talent, beaten like a drum due to strategy and preparation.
I gave him a c for 6-6. but wish I gave B now.  the last sentence says it al. We beat 2 top teams "like a drum" while not getting beat by anyone like a drum.

d1nonlyhogfan

C

You have to give him credit for the defensive improvements, but also he deserves responsibility for how awful the offense was against SEC opponents.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

tweakmyhamstrings

Quote from: wildhogman on December 04, 2014, 05:38:27 pm
I gave him a c for 6-6. but wish I gave B now.  the last sentence says it al. We beat 2 top teams "like a drum" while not getting beat by anyone like a drum.

maybe they'll let you change your voe

hogcard1964

Win our bowl game, and he may improve his grade.
Season's not over.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 04, 2014, 05:50:38 pm
Win our bowl game, and he may improve his grade.
Season's not over.

The bowl game can decide Chaney's fate also

WayneHawg

C+ and i am a supporter of his! We still have alot to improve on , but we have come along way from last year. I think we need to improve speed on offense ( game breakers ) also the playcalling is suspect at times and also execution on offense needs to improve , i like our defensive effort !

Jek Tono Porkins

We will manhandle whoever we play in a bowl just like we manhandled Texas Tech unless we play Texas.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

pfrg999

B.. Solid B... Bowl game after a dumpster fire Deserves a B even at 6-6 ...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Ramtough

I agree. Overall a good job but still issues in a lot of positions including QB and WR. Play calling and overall poor offensive play in the 2nd half of games plus poor halftime adjustments gets him a C. I was also surprised at how poorly the O-line blocked at times in short yardage run plays and special team were not very special.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 04, 2014, 05:58:16 pm
We will manhandle whoever we play in a bowl just like we manhandled Texas Tech unless we play Texas.

Arkansas would beat Texas 24-3

Hoggy Hogalot

I gave him a "B". Overall I'm happy and excited as to what the future will be like.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hawgzinbowlz

Solid B...as of 12-4-2014

A for keeping the team intact resulting with wins over LSU/Ole Miss. Exceptional coaching motivation following difficult losses and an emotional win.

C for coulda...woulda...shoulda...
- Adjustments to SEC defensive adjustments.
- Beating ourselves with unnecessary penalties and lack of discipline, at critical moments.

Solid B for 2014 results, so far.
- 4 more wins were possible with a slight change : T@M, 'Bama, MSU, Mizzou.
- 7 wins still possible and 11 wins were coulda...woulda...shoulda...

A+ for leading The Hogs to a bowl
- Recruiting...Recruiting...Recruiting...
- Overall Program Direction.
- Doing it the right way

A-  -with a win in the bowl.

" GO HOGS "

Off the Top::::You folks that just love to churn up the anti-hater threads by the bushel need to look at this poll and you will clearly see there are very, very few haters on this Website.  Yea, I realize without those threads the thread total goes waaaay down but this is a good argument that the actual haters are hardly any at all.

I gave BB a B grade and I still don't care for his offensive scheme just as I have felt from day one.  Overall team is better.  Everywhere he cares about on the team is much better and just like most coaches, those areas he doesn't really care for are no better or worse.  No QB coach or Special Teams coach and you just have to look at the team to know this.  He still makes mistakes that a coach of his stature should not make.

MY B comes from the overall improvement of the entire team.  I believe we will add depth and hopefully win more but the areas of unsatisfactory to very good on our team, in my opinion, will continue to be there.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: 12247 on December 04, 2014, 08:15:51 pm
Off the Top::::You folks that just love to churn up the anti-hater threads by the bushel need to look at this poll and you will clearly see there are very, very few haters on this Website.  Yea, I realize without those threads the thread total goes waaaay down but this is a good argument that the actual haters are hardly any at all.

I gave BB a B grade and I still don't care for his offensive scheme just as I have felt from day one.  Overall team is better.  Everywhere he cares about on the team is much better and just like most coaches, those areas he doesn't really care for are no better or worse.  No QB coach or Special Teams coach and you just have to look at the team to know this.  He still makes mistakes that a coach of his stature should not make.

MY B comes from the overall improvement of the entire team.  I believe we will add depth and hopefully win more but the areas of unsatisfactory to very good on our team, in my opinion, will continue to be there.

Solid Post... CBB only flaw to me is some of the things he let's Vice President Chaney do with the offense.