Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Impact of Drug Testing

Started by Oklahawg, April 16, 2006, 11:30:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

I'm not sure that this is accurate but I skewed two rotisserie league auctions heavily based on my presumption. The leagues are hyper-competitive (entering year 20!!) and the owners don't miss much.

I skewed my bid prices and projections to reflect my presumption that players will not risk any supplement or over-the-counter product that might nab them under the MLB drug testing program. So, we are back to the normal career tracks: hitters peaking at 27, with their prime reduced to 25-32 (used to be 25-37!), and pitchers peaking at 29, with their prime reduced to 27-32 (used to be 26-38!).

I spent big bucks on emerging young guys who've shown they can play: Jose Reyes (only 23) will learn to hit .300 and pop 15 HRs before he is done. Carlos Beltran is just 29. Vernon Wells is just 27. Carlos Guillen is an aging 31--he's trade bait! I shied away from Randy Winn (33) and Gary Sheffield (38, I think). And, Randy Johnson may be a freak but can he keep it up all year? Ditto for Schilling. They went for predictable $$ but I stopped bidding early on them. I targeted big $$ for Josh Beckett and Eric Bedard. Bedard is producing very well so far.

Methinks we are back to an environment of natural athleticism. Speed will become more prominent. Hosses in the rotation will get more and more innings. I held onto Rich Harden because he's the next Roger Clemens. He'll eat innings and take the ball like a man. Sans supplements.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra