Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Report: Hugh Freeze set to become next Ole Miss head coach

Started by The Great Hambino, December 03, 2011, 10:26:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Calling All Hogs

This has to be embarrassing. :)  Hugh would be a good choice for Ole Miss. He has impacted ASU football more than anyone and that includes the year former Bama coach Ray Perkins was there.

lonehog

Hope A-State enjoyed this year.... Freeze is not coming back. Not sure where he will go, but he will go.

Hogeration

The Hawg Marshal

A lot of people here in Jonesboro don't think he'll leave. I think he's gone. Just a matter of where.

Albert Einswine

It's got to sting that he tried to contact Archie soliciting the Ole Miss job.  If BP were found to be doing that I'd be pissed.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

GotPig?

Man, with Freeze, if Ole Miss could just schedule Troy, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, FIU, FAU, ULM, and ULL next yer, they could be knocking on the doors of the BCS.

HF#1

You could argue he has come up the chain faster than Gus.  I'd love to see him get the Ole Miss job.  That just tells me they really couldn't get anyone else.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

chiefsfan

Quote from: PianoMo on December 03, 2011, 10:26:56 am
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/dec/03/its-not-so-hot-line-for-rebel-coach-hopefuls/

The job is as good as his.

A few of us have known about this for a while, and we're not surprised.

However everything we are hearing from Ole Miss right now is that they do not plan on hiring Freeze, and Freeze has assured our administration that Ole Miss is the only job he is interested in.

In fact the rumor right now is that ASU will sign Freeze to an extension after the Troy game.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 03, 2011, 11:29:19 am
It's got to sting that he tried to contact Archie soliciting the Ole Miss job.  If BP were found to be doing that I'd be pissed.

Not really, it was in his contract when he signed that if Ole Miss were to ever contact him for a job we would have to allow him to interview.

No Matter all the coach speak in the world, if Jimmy Sexton is your agent you have certainly contacted other schools about jobs.   That being said, it would be foolish for Ole Miss to hire him.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

WBOBO

When you are the lowest D1 coach being paid in college football, I can see
where he might want to bolt with a little success.  He makes what 190,000 a year?  If ASU wants to keep a coach they better pony up mo money.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

havok

He might want to take his Ark State team with him... the Dork left OM's cupboard even more Bare than he did when he was fired from here...  he would need at least 4 years just to creep up to average...and I don't see a mega-hire like Petrino in their future.

chiefsfan

Quote from: WBOBO on December 03, 2011, 12:56:06 pm
When you are the lowest D1 coach being paid in college football, I can see
where he might want to bolt with a little success.  He makes what 190,000 a year?  If ASU wants to keep a coach they better pony up mo money.

its closer to 280,000 but you are right it is the lowest.   My understanding is that we have offered an extension that will more then double his current salary.

chiefsfan

Quote from: havok on December 03, 2011, 12:57:55 pm
He might want to take his Ark State team with him... the Dork left OM's cupboard even more Bare than he did when he was fired from here...  he would need at least 4 years just to creep up to average...and I don't see a mega-hire like Petrino in their future.

It would be a very Houston Nutt like hire, Ole Miss fans do not want him at all.  Freeze has yet to win with his own recruits, and his job hopping skills approach Petrino's in the early part of his coaching career, never had a college job longer then 2 years.

lonehog

Just think, if Freeze does leave, A-State could hire a former SEC coach, who coached his last team to back-to-back Cotton Bowl appearances. This coach has ties to the state and it's high school coaches..... sounds like a win-win, right?

SpiritHog

Quote from: lonehog on December 03, 2011, 01:38:52 pm
Just think, if Freeze does leave, A-State could hire a former SEC coach, who coached his last team to back-to-back Cotton Bowl appearances. This coach has ties to the state and it's high school coaches..... sounds like a win-win, right?

Sounds perfectly horrible!
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

booogaga

What is worse. Coaching in Jonesburro (sp) or coaching on Oxford?
GO HOGS!

CoachPetrinoFan

Quote from: booogaga on December 03, 2011, 01:44:37 pm

Now that's a question for Dickey Nutt and Houston Nutt to answer. Bet the answer is whichever has the best Sonic is the better town.

popcornhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 03, 2011, 11:29:19 am

Apples and Oranges, but yeah, it must suck for ASU.
WPS

Albert Einswine

Quote from: popcornhog on December 03, 2011, 02:26:16 pm
Apples and Oranges, but yeah, it must suck for ASU.

No, not really.  The point I'm making is the head coach himself, not his agent, is contacting a presumed king maker personally soliciting the job.  If Bobby were found to be personally texting a Texas counterpart to Archie I'd be pissed and so would you.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: hogfan#1 on December 03, 2011, 12:48:11 pm
You could argue he has come up the chain faster than Gus.  I'd love to see him get the Ole Miss job.  That just tells me they really couldn't get anyone else.

And HF only had to use 1 kid while Gus had to use 5.

rimshot.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on December 03, 2011, 03:22:27 pm
And HF only had to use 1 kid while Gus had to use 5.

rimshot.

NICE!

OTOH, none of Guz' kids got a movie made about 'em, so Freeze got major stroke outta the deal.

chiefsfan

He's gone.   He practically waved goodbye to the fans after the game.   May not be Ole Miss, but Memphis is prepared to offer him an absolute ton of money, Im hearing closer to 2 million dollars on that side.

The_Boot_stops_here

he'd be the best hire OM could make IMO

chiefsfan

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 03, 2011, 09:07:10 pm
he'd be the best hire OM could make IMO

Hardly.  He's the best hire they can get, no one else wants that job

ark30inf

1st year FBS coach in the Sun Belt with 24 seniors that he did not recruit who has never coached in a bowl game yet.

That sounds like an SEC West coaching candidate?

Oh yes, it is Ole Miss we are talking about.

Freeze is a fantastic coach.  But experience really does matter.

Blue35

jamie72921

Ole Miss would have to be mentally defective to hire Freeze. The man has a grand total of Zero experience with actually rebuilding a program from the ground up at any level of college football.

He has been a head coach for a grand total of 3 years at 2 different programs.

Our own experience with Nutt prospering from another coach's players should have taught everyone here to throw out what a coach does during his first couple of seasons and judge them by the cumulative effect they have on a program after they get their own players and develop them on their own.

As far as Freeze goes, there is nothing in his background for you to look at, and Ole Miss needs to refill the cupboards and develop players right now.

Freeze would be a huge risk.
Bless your heart

GotPig?

Quote from: booogaga on December 03, 2011, 01:44:37 pm

Have you been to Jonesboro?

Oxford = nice college town with a rich cultural history and beautiful campus.

Jonesboro = Springdale in the middle of a rice field.

Sivad

wooo

Quote from: GotPig? on December 03, 2011, 10:33:35 pm
Have you been to Jonesboro?

Oxford = nice college town with a rich cultural history and beautiful campus.

Jonesboro = Springdale in the middle of a rice field.

I'm no fan of northeast Arkansas, but ASU is 5 times nicer than ole miss as far as campuses go. Ole miss is a ran down crap hole. I absolutely deplore northeast Arkansas, but ASU is a very nice campus

PorkSoda

So OM 'steals' the head coach from arkansas' flagship university, fires him tries to steal the coach from out 2nd tier university?  what is thier obsession with arkansas?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Westcoasthog

Not so fast, Arkansas State has put together a great financial package for
Hugh Freeze.

ark30inf

Quote from: wooo on December 03, 2011, 11:23:51 pm
I'm no fan of northeast Arkansas, but ASU is 5 times nicer than ole miss as far as campuses go. Ole miss is a ran down crap hole. I absolutely deplore northeast Arkansas, but ASU is a very nice campus

Thanks.

I personally love all of Arkansas....and would rather be in any of it than any place in Mississippi. 

hard_reign2004

Hearing this morning from guys in Nea that ole miss will announce Hugh today as their new head coach.

ark30inf

Quote from: hard_reign2004 on December 04, 2011, 12:14:36 am
Hearing this morning from guys in Nea that ole miss will announce Hugh today as their new head coach.

A one-year FBS coach from a Sun Belt team that had 24 seniors who has not ever recruited his own FBS team and has never even coached in a bowl game yet.

Wow.  That's a real resume for an SEC West team. 

They want to be like LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas.  Would ANY of those teams hire that resume?  No.

What is the common factor between LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas?  They opened up that checkbook and got the real thing.

jamie72921

Quote from: ark30inf on December 04, 2011, 12:26:17 am
A one-year FBS coach from a Sun Belt team that had 24 seniors who has not ever recruited his own FBS team and has never even coached in a bowl game yet.

Wow.  That's a real resume for an SEC West team. 

They want to be like LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas.  Would ANY of those teams hire that resume?  No.

What is the common factor between LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas?  They opened up that checkbook and got the real thing.

I agree. Completely stupid hire if true.
Bless your heart

LZH

I thought ASU was putting together a package in the range of $500K to keep Freeze.  Memphis would pay $2M?....to a one-hit wonder? (because that's what he still is).  I could understand taking the Ole Miss job, but Memphis?  Yikes.

slobberinhog

Wolves? Tigers? Or Black Bears? Oh my.

chiefsfan

Rivals briefly jumped the Gun.  They have most of the story right though.  Ole Miss will offer tomorrow and Freeze would likely accept.  However he is not guaranteed, he's very aware of what Ole Miss fans think of him,  (which isnt much.) and knows of the pressure there.

If he leaves, expect ASU to immediately interview Dave Wommack for our job, and if he doesnt work, we'll go to Clint Conque and stretch out from there.

Supposedly our AD who is one of those people who most ASU fans feel will never understand us completely really wants to hire Wommack if Freeze leaves and keep as much of the staff together as possible.  ASU currently has 17 commitments for next year, and lord knows Hootie and the Blowflish didnt get much recruiting done down in Oxford.

chiefsfan

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 04, 2011, 12:31:56 am
I thought ASU was putting together a package in the range of $500K to keep Freeze.  Memphis would pay $2M?....to a one-hit wonder? (because that's what he still is).  I could understand taking the Ole Miss job, but Memphis?  Yikes.

Its still there if Freeze wants it.  Its a nice package with raises for all assistants and a major increase to the recruiting budget.  its a salary that would be very competitive compared with most non AQ jobs.

The ball is in Hugh Feeze's court, but I fear Ole Miss will win this out, there is a chance...but there is a chance I could get elected president too...

HogCzar1

If Hugh Freeze is offered the Ole Miss job, he is not going to turn it down to stay at ASU.

A chance to coach in the SEC vs winning a conference title in front of 10-15,000 fans?

HogCzar1

I would be very interested to see just where all the revenue would come from to give Freeze more money, his assistants more money, and a sharp increase in the recruiting budget.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 03, 2011, 12:50:33 pm
A few of us have known about this for a while, and we're not surprised.

However everything we are hearing from Ole Miss right now is that they do not plan on hiring Freeze, and Freeze has assured our administration that Ole Miss is the only job he is interested in.

In fact the rumor right now is that ASU will sign Freeze to an extension after the Troy game.

With a $25 buyout, no doubt.

Inhogswetrust

December 04, 2011, 02:25:21 am #45 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:17:57 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: lonehog on December 03, 2011, 01:38:52 pm

Then they can go for the record of eventually being the only school to fire two different nutts!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogz17

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 04, 2011, 12:31:56 am

It seems to me that  many of these ADs and decision makers are no different than some irrational fans when they make decisions to hire and fire coaches.  Freeze for example is getting mentioned because of literally one good season as a head coach.  Two of the other "hot" names being tossed around for many top jobs are Fedora and Sumlin.  I encourage anyone to go look at both of their overall records as head coaches.  Sumlin had a losing record last year.

I believe some of these schools get what they ask for.   

hogz17

This is actually a pretty sad hire for Ole Miss.  They fired their coach with a month remaining in their season and the best they can do is this guy.  He may turn out to be a great coach, but it seems like a huge gamble.  If they honestly cared about winning football games they would have hired Mike Leach two days after they canned Nutt.  If true, this hire is very revealing.  Here is what it shows:

1)  They don't care about winning.
2)  No legitimate candidate wanted this job
3)  They are following the good ole boy network (i,e Arkansas prior to Jeff Long).
4)  They don't care about winning.
5)  Archie Manning is an idiot. 

wooo

hog_fan

He seems to be a decent coach, but he is unproven and the Ole Miss program is a mess.