Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 upcoming scrimmages starting tonight at 7

Started by ricepig, September 07, 2017, 04:16:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Went to the scrimmage today.

Evan Lee worked at first base.

Evan Lee is fast. He scored from 1st on a close play at the plate. Great play.

Koch and Bonfield homered before I left.

McFarland was playing left field.  He looks like a Spanberger clone in regards to size and build.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HighcountryHog

Biggers had two triples.  Bonin pitched well, and had a good hit or two.
no bumps, no fat chicks

Bogey Golf

Kevin

I am more excited about fall baseball than football.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bulldog04

Quote from: Kevin on September 08, 2017, 09:49:56 pm
I am more excited about fall baseball than football.
Kevin I can't help myself being more excited for baseball season than football. I finally started getting a little excited about football.  I'm never like this and it has nothing to do with the football team but everything to do with my expectations for the baseball team. It's just that we have a team that can win a championship while I expect the other two sports will have good years but no chance for a championship.

Kevin

Quote from: bulldog04 on September 09, 2017, 07:50:21 am
Kevin I can't help myself being more excited for baseball season than football. I finally started getting a little excited about football.  I'm never like this and it has nothing to do with the football team but everything to do with my expectations for the baseball team. It's just that we have a team that can win a championship while I expect the other two sports will have good years but no chance for a championship.

exactly
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

thebignasty

Trying not to let my baseball season expectations run away on me, but we look loaded up and ready to contend.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

HighcountryHog

Quote from: Bogey Golf on September 08, 2017, 09:35:40 pm
How did the pitchers look?

Bonin pitched two innings. Had five Ks.  Sat behind three guys with radar.  Bonin consistently 92-94mph fastball.
no bumps, no fat chicks

ucahogfan

Quote from: factchecker on September 08, 2017, 06:45:54 pm

McFarland was playing left field.  He looks like a Spanberger clone in regards to size and build.
Thank you for the update.

It is interesting to see Evan Lee getting action at 1B, but if DVH believes he can have an OF of McFarland, Fletcher, and Cole, it is still an elite OF.  Just basically switching McFarland and Lee based on what a lot of us expected.  The amount of talent on campus this year is just insane.

I expect both Koch and Bonfield to both be 15+ HR type guys this year although that might be a little bit of a stretch for Bonfield.  I sure hope he has a great senior season along with Shaddy.  I think they would both say last year was a little bit of a letdown for both of them as well as Koch's 2nd half of the season.

McFarland might not have the raw power of Spanberger (who does), but he has elite raw power as well and is also a plus runner.  He ran a 6.7 60 in high school which is excellent speed.  It was a better 60 time than what Benintendi ran which DVH said was 6.8.

ucahogfan

Quote from: HighcountryHog on September 09, 2017, 05:46:28 pm
Bonin pitched two innings. Had five Ks.  Sat behind three guys with radar.  Bonin consistently 92-94mph fastball.
That is encouraging to hear.  He was a huge get for us and I think he might be our closer this year.  He also had an excellent summer offensively out in Cali playing college players much like Fletcher did last summer.  He basically comes to campus like a RS Freshman in terms of experience.

Having two players who can legitimately play both ways in Bonnin and Lee is huge for this team.  It's not like they are just average both ways, but they were two of the better players out in Cali.  Lee hit something like .350 or better and then had like a sub 1.00 ERA.

hogwild04

Bonin is also like 5 hits out of 9 ABs in the scrimmages he has hit in, been playing outfield.

PorkRyan

JHicks3636

I'm really looking forward to baseball season-just over 5 months.

factchecker

Baseball practice is open to the public so if anyone has the times for the upcoming practices please post them here.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

dotnet

Quote from: HighcountryHog on September 09, 2017, 05:46:28 pm

Quote from: hogwild04 on September 10, 2017, 01:58:31 am
Bonin is also like 5 hits out of 9 ABs

May need a redshirt year

Scott7703

Quote from: dotnet on September 12, 2017, 05:35:48 pm
May need a redshirt year

This kid doesn't need a redshirt year. I predict he hits and pitches this year.

bulldog04

Quote from: Scott7703 on September 12, 2017, 06:26:02 pm

This kid doesn't need a redshirt year. I predict he hits and pitches this year.
Hey Dotnet you forgot to hit your sarcasm button

Scott7703

trippigs

Quote from: factchecker on September 08, 2017, 06:45:54 pm

I watched the scrimmage as well. Did you see the transformer fire over by Foghorns? Visited a bit with McKinney outside the ballpark.....he is a well spoken young man and he thanked me for coming. We are in good hands

factchecker

Quote from: trippigs on September 12, 2017, 10:18:24 pm
I watched the scrimmage as well. Did you see the transformer fire over by Foghorns? Visited a bit with McKinney outside the ballpark.....he is a well spoken young man and he thanked me for coming. We are in good hands

Yep.  I was down the first base line.  That transformer started as a buzz and a few pops then died down.... next thing I know it's lit up like a Christmas tree.  It didn't take too long for the fire department to come out.

I thought it was cool to have the band practicing across the street as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

dotnet

Anyone been to any scrimmages recently?  Any updates?

Any other good redshirt candidates? 

hogwild04

Heard Freshman Caleb Bolden has been very good on the mound with good control and decent FB and showing why he was drafted and unbelievable we nabbed him as late as we did,  was a great catch and Heston Kjerstad  has been playing well with great pop off the bat.  Bonin struggled a bit on mound learning the off speed , he has to learn and he has the best coach to teach him. He is hitting very well and should have one of the highest avgs this fall up to this point.   Those 3 would be great candidates to redshirt this season and give them another year to sit and learn,   ;)

Campbell has been lights out on the mound, which is huge to have him back 100% . Will have one of the best if not the best set of starters for 1-2 punch on Friday and Saturday .   With the Upper classman we have coming back the experience they bring, it will be huge this season.  Will be a great year,  is it here yet?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogwild04 on September 24, 2017, 12:38:36 am
  Heard Freshman Caleb Bolden has been very good on the mound with good control and decent FB and showing why he was drafted and unbelievable we nabbed him as late as we did,  was a great catch and Heston Kjerstad  has been playing well with great pop off the bat.  Bonin struggled a bit on mound learning the off speed , he has to learn and he has the best coach to teach him. He is hitting very well and should have one of the highest avgs this fall up to this point.  Those 3 would be great candidates to redshirt this season and give them another year to sit and learn,   ;)

Campbell has been lights out on the mound, which is huge to have him back 100% . Will have one of the best if not the best set of starters for 1-2 punch on Friday and Saturday .   With the Upper classman we have coming back the experience they bring, it will be huge this season.  Will be a great year,  is it here yet?

Uh, not if they're going to be drafted and leave early. Use all 3 years not just 2.

dotnet

Thanks for the update.  If Campbell comes back as good as DVH was expecting him to be last year, then that would be huge.  That would make for a solid team even with the offenses of old returning. 

I have no idea where Bonin and Kjerstad would play, but it is awesome they are hitting well. 

hogwild04

If I had to honestly guess, all 3 of those freshman will get opportunities', maybe mid-week/Sunday  games to get reps on the mound as a starter or in a closing role and  2 or 3 freshman will get weekly plate appearances , while giving some of the other starters rest during the week.  We will be in good shape, with plenty of depth if someone goes down, or struggles.  With the talent this team has, DVH will not just sit and let someone have a multi game slump before ,making a move.  Everyone goes through a skid sometime during the season, but DVH can have a shorter leash with the talent he will have on the bench. JMO

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hogwild04 on September 24, 2017, 12:38:36 am
  Heard Freshman Caleb Bolden has been very good on the mound with good control and decent FB and showing why he was drafted and unbelievable we nabbed him as late as we did,  was a great catch and Heston Kjerstad  has been playing well with great pop off the bat.  Bonin struggled a bit on mound learning the off speed , he has to learn and he has the best coach to teach him. He is hitting very well and should have one of the highest avgs this fall up to this point.   Those 3 would be great candidates to redshirt this season and give them another year to sit and learn,   ;)

Yah, there is about a 0% chance the Bonnin redshirts, he should be an instant impact player, at the very least he should have the impact of what Lee had for us last year, but I think it will be more than that.  I think you were probably joking though.

Is it baseball season yet???  I have not been this excited going into a season in my life, I cannot wait!  I keep coming over to EI everyday just to see if there is any news or just something at all haha.
SCREW Vandy!