Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

anybody else hate duke and reddick?

Started by dmac5, February 07, 2006, 11:12:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Coletrain

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 09:51:11 am
Quote from: The Coletrain on February 08, 2006, 09:42:00 am
Quote from: mossfan3 on February 08, 2006, 09:38:02 am
Iverson is my favorite player in the league.  Don't act like he hasn't had way more than his share of critics

He certainly has.  But it didn't happen at such an early age and to the degree Redick gets it wherever he goes.  This dude plays on the road with an entire gym ready to kill him if they could.  I don't know how he does it.  And he's been doing it for years. 

And don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Iverson.  But some of his was due to the practice thing and some comments he made in his early years in the league.  Redick's never been a guy to throw out bulletin board material, and we all know he busts it in practice.  The guy's in better shape than everyone in America outside of maybe Lance Armstrong. 

UHHHH When Iverson was at G-Town John Thompson threatened to take his team off the court becuase the opposing teams fans were chaniting "Convict COnvict" at Iverson.  Of course it was true, but hey lets not bring up a thugs past. 

JJ is "hated" because he plays for Duke and the sports nation is forced to hear about him every day. 

BTW, your post earlier about prison was hilarious.  But to your point, that was Coach Thompson protecting his players image.  He felt like that's something he needed to do.  And that's cool.  That's why his players felt he was like a father to them.  But you don't see Coach K doing that for Redick.  He knows the kid can take it and taking a stand for him would only make it worse.  They're hanging JJ in ephagy in the halls of Maryland and for nothing.  Kills me. 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

nwarazfan

Quote from: The Coletrain on February 08, 2006, 09:56:55 am
Iverson is my favorite player in the league.  Don't act like he hasn't had way more than his share of critics

He certainly has.  But it didn't happen at such an early age and to the degree Redick gets it wherever he goes.  This dude plays on the road with an entire gym ready to kill him if they could.  I don't know how he does it.  And he's been doing it for years. 

And don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Iverson.  But some of his was due to the practice thing and some comments he made in his early years in the league.  Redick's never been a guy to throw out bulletin board material, and we all know he busts it in practice.  The guy's in better shape than everyone in America outside of maybe Lance Armstrong. 

UHHHH When Iverson was at G-Town John Thompson threatened to take his team off the court becuase the opposing teams fans were chaniting "Convict COnvict" at Iverson.  Of course it was true, but hey lets not bring up a thugs past. 

JJ is "hated" because he plays for Duke and the sports nation is forced to hear about him every day. 

BTW, your post earlier about prison was hilarious.  But to your point, that was Coach Thompson protecting his players image.  He felt like that's something he needed to do.  And that's cool.  That's why his players felt he was like a father to them.  But you don't see Coach K doing that for Redick.  He knows the kid can take it and taking a stand for him would only make it worse.  They're hanging JJ in ephagy in the halls of Maryland and for nothing.  Kills me. 

Jealous turtles.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Coletrain on February 08, 2006, 09:56:55 am

I know that about Iverson and THompson.  The point was made that Iverson did not have to face this type of criticism this early, and thats just a false statement.  Thompson also knew that if he did not do something, Iverson would start runnning his mouth and get himself in trouble with the NCAA.  Coach K knows Redick wont hurt the team like that, I am not sure Iverson knows what team is.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Coletrain

True.  Maybe I should have said Iverson didn't get "as much" early criticism as has Redick.  What criticism AI did get was because of his time in jail.  JJ gets much more grief for just stupid stuff.  Poetry??  Sex with your little sister??  Pointy ears??  Is that the best people can do?  But I guess in the end he's just the fixture of their overall hatred for Duke.  He'll leave and next year it will be another.   
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

hogtheball

You guys who are saying J.J. Reddick is a ball hog or doesn't elevate the level of his team are GOOFY!!  How can he be accused of not elevating a team that only has one loss.  You can't criticize extreme success - it makes you less than intelligent about B-ball.

If Reddick was averaging 40 points a game and Duke had 12 losses, you'd have a good argument.  Are you seriously suggesting that Duke, or any other basketball team in the world doesn't benefit by having a guy who shoots over 50% from the field (mostly from the perimeter), and hustles his butt of on defense for the entire game.   

To make your point even goofier, Williams is averaging 18 points per game on the inside. They run the inside-out game to textbook perfection.  The teams that try to stop Reddick with a double-team 30 feet from the bucket have to watch Williams go off in the paint.

Then, if you really hate a guy for having such skills with a basketball, he knows how to win games in the last three minutes.  Duke has had a lot of close games (as any team in the ACC comes to embrace) and REddick is one of those special players that can elevate their game when it matters most. Did you watch the game last night?

Throw in his quick feet on D, his insane 93% career free throw percentage, and his ball-handling skills and you've got a great player.  Now I feel stupid for trying to argue that Reddick is good.  It's like trying to convince people that a Grizzly Bear is strong.

And about hating coach K - geez, you can't be serious.  If you had a kid in high school, let's say being recruited by every D-1 program in the country (except Arkansas)?  Would Duke be at or near the top of your kid's list.  Can you think of a coach you'd rather have your son with for four or five years? 

That being said, North Carolina looks like the future of college basketball - if they can keep that team together.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogtheball on February 08, 2006, 11:53:57 am
You guys who are saying J.J. Reddick is a ball hog or doesn't elevate the level of his team are GOOFY!!  How can he be accused of not elevating a team that only has one loss.  You can't criticize extreme success - it makes you less than intelligent about B-ball.

If Reddick was averaging 40 points a game and Duke had 12 losses, you'd have a good argument.  Are you seriously suggesting that Duke, or any other basketball team in the world doesn't benefit by having a guy who shoots over 50% from the field (mostly from the perimeter), and hustles his butt of on defense for the entire game.  

To make your point even goofier, Williams is averaging 18 points per game on the inside. They run the inside-out game to textbook perfection.  The teams that try to stop Reddick with a double-team 30 feet from the bucket have to watch Williams go off in the paint.

Again, not what I asked.  I asked IF jj played for a bad team would he make it better?  Not if he makes an already good team better.  If JJ redick was transported to the Mizzu tigers would he make them better?  I dont think so. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsNbeer

February 08, 2006, 12:00:30 pm #56 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:02:31 pm by hogsNbeer

Then, if you really hate a guy for having such skills with a basketball, he knows how to win games in the last three minutes.  Duke has had a lot of close games (as any team in the ACC comes to embrace) and REddick is one of those special players that can elevate their game when it matters most. Did you watch the game last night?

Throw in his quick feet on D, his insane 93% career free throw percentage, and his ball-handling skills and you've got a great player.  Now I feel stupid for trying to argue that Reddick is good.  It's like trying to convince people that a Grizzly Bear is strong.

And about hating coach K - geez, you can't be serious.  If you had a kid in high school, let's say being recruited by every D-1 program in the country (except Arkansas)?  Would Duke be at or near the top of your kid's list.  Can you think of a coach you'd rather have your son with for four or five years? 

That being said, North Carolina looks like the future of college basketball - if they can keep that team together.

I'm with you slick......          Duke Haterz = Nutt Loverz... Nuff said....... I say this because you can have all the backup numbers and wins for your argument to back you up, and their will be people out there that just hate them-- Just like Nutt...You can have all the Losses and poor decisions, but then you'll have those that LOVE him for no reason......... 

hogtheball

If we had J.J. Reddick on our team, I think the Hogs would have no more than two losses this year.  We would be ranked 7th or 8th in the country and would be a lock for a 2 seed.  His shooting would spread all the defenses and allow Brewer, Thomas, and Townes a lot more room in the lane. 

The teams who have been pulling their zone defenses in tight to deny the ball to our inside players would be made to pay big-time. 

His hustle on defense would be at least somewhat contagious, causing some of our more lethargic performances on D to improve. Also, his confidence in the last 5 minutes of games would cause the close games to go our way more often than not.

Seriously, do you honestly not believe that having J.J. Reddick on our team would not make us better?  Imagine if Dontell Jefferson had the ability to shoot 44% from three point line, 90% from the free throw line, and was mr. clutch when the game was on the line.   

Imagine....it's easy if you try.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogtheball on February 08, 2006, 12:06:53 pm
If we had J.J. Reddick on our team, I think the Hogs would have no more than two losses this year.  We would be ranked 7th or 8th in the country and would be a lock for a 2 seed.  His shooting would spread all the defenses and allow Brewer, Thomas, and Townes a lot more room in the lane. 

The teams who have been pulling their zone defenses in tight to deny the ball to our inside players would be made to pay big-time. 

His hustle on defense would be at least somewhat contagious, causing some of our more lethargic performances on D to improve. Also, his confidence in the last 5 minutes of games would cause the close games to go our way more often than not.

Seriously, do you honestly not believe that having J.J. Reddick on our team would not make us better?  Imagine if Dontell Jefferson had the ability to shoot 44% from three point line, 90% from the free throw line, and was mr. clutch when the game was on the line.  

Imagine....it's easy if you try.

What is so hard about the question " If JJ were on a BAD TEAM would he make them better?"  Yes, he would make the hogs better, but I do not consider the hogs to be a bad team. 

hogtheball

Oh my gosh, who is a bad team.  Let's see, would The Citadel be better with J.J. REddick on their team?  Would Ouachita Baptist University be better with J.J. Reddick on their team (no disrespect, Tigers)?  Would Springdale High School be a more formidable opponent in the AAAAA West?  Everybody knows they would all be better teams?  And every coach of every one of those teams would agree, and every coach of every team who plays against them would agree. 

I often like your points, HOGSANITY, but I just don't see a way for you to win this one.  Why don't you name a struggling basketball team anywhere that J.J. Reddick wouldn't currently help. Name any team in the country.  I bet their coach would disagree with you.

NATEHOGG216

Who doesn't hate Dukie?  I think even Dukie fans really deep down inside hate Dukie, but its hard to hate reddick, he isn't a really mouthy thug life player or anything, just shoots lights out and plays with effort second to none.  Really I hate DUKIE and respect Reddick.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogtheball on February 08, 2006, 12:22:10 pm
Oh my gosh, who is a bad team.  Let's see, would The Citadel be better with J.J. REddick on their team?  Would Ouachita Baptist University be better with J.J. Reddick on their team (no disrespect, Tigers)?  Would Springdale High School be a more formidable opponent in the AAAAA West?  Everybody knows they would all be better teams?  And every coach of every one of those teams would agree, and every coach of every team who plays against them would agree. 

I often like your points, HOGSANITY, but I just don't see a way for you to win this one.  Why don't you name a struggling basketball team anywhere that J.J. Reddick wouldn't currently help. Name any team in the country.  I bet their coach would disagree with you.

There's not a College Basketball Coach out there right now that wouldn't move EARTH to have JJ REDICK on their team..... Will he make a team better?  WTH?      I think the Best Player of the YEAR will make any team better......... People kill me...

HoopS

hogsnbeer...

how do you draw a corralation between hating Duke and loving Nutt?

I couldn't stand Duke waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before ole Nutt came along.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 12:33:06 pm
hogsnbeer...

I couldn't stand Duke waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before ole Nutt came along.

Easy....  Time period doesn't matter......       The Duke Haterz on this board can't come up with a viable reason to hate Duke other than ' They hate Coach K', or they Hate Redick, or Duke get's all the calls-- hogwash..... they can't come up with a reason.... Same way with the NUTTHUGGERS.......  You can cram all the Losses, the stupid calls, stupid decisions, SEC records, his career win-loss record and yet the HUGGERS can't come up with any other reason than Nutt's a nice guy, he's from Arkansas, for the MANCRUSH they have for him.....

hogsanity

Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 08, 2006, 12:25:13 pm

There's not a College Basketball Coach out there right now that wouldn't move EARTH to have JJ REDICK on their team..... Will he make a team better?  WTH?      I think the Best Player of the YEAR will make any team better......... People kill me...

Im not even trying to bash JJ.  And of course any coach would take him, but those are not my points.  My feeling is he would not be putting up the numbers he is if he were at these "bad" schools, without having to shoot alot more. And the numbers would not be as meaningful.  Oh yea, and he would not be a player of the year candidate.  He would still be a good player.   

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 08, 2006, 12:41:05 pm
hogsnbeer...

Easy....  Time period doesn't matter......       The Duke Haterz on this board can't come up with a viable reason to hate Duke other than ' They hate Coach K', or they Hate Redick, or Duke get's all the calls-- hogwash..... they can't come up with a reason.... Same way with the NUTTHUGGERS.......  You can cram all the Losses, the stupid calls, stupid decisions, SEC records, his career win-loss record and yet the HUGGERS can't come up with any other reason than Nutt's a nice guy, he's from Arkansas, for the MANCRUSH they have for him.....

I think most people hate Duke because of the Duke lovefest that gets shoved down our throats by the national media.  I know that's the main reason I hate them.  That and the arrogance.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

hogsanity

Quote from: gmb_79 on February 08, 2006, 01:32:23 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 08, 2006, 12:41:05 pm
hogsnbeer...

I think most people hate Duke because of the Duke lovefest that gets shoved down our throats by the national media.  I know that's the main reason I hate them.  That and the arrogance.

BINGO.  I love turning on ESPn and seeing Duke playing Svanah St  or some equally overmatched ACC team.  Duke/NC sure.  Duke/MD okay.  But with ESPn it is like they are the DUke TV Network. 

hogtheball

In all fairness, the Valparaiso/Duke game wasn't televised this year.  LOL.  And, the last three games have been some of the best games all year.  Maybe ESPN has been pressuring them to keep the games close.

HoopS

this whole thread is a big reason why many of us don't like Duke.  No answer given will be good enough for us to justify not liking them.  As you put it, Hogwash.   Why can't you just accept that some of us will never ride the Duke jock.

Sorry, you know.

Our (non-Duke fans) main reason for not liking Duke has been proven in these threads today.  You guys, like Dick, are trying to freakin shove your love of Duke down our throats.  So freakin what if I can't list 20 reasons why I don't like em.  I just don't like em.   I can't stand celery.  Do I need to make a list for you to explain that fully?  Most of us have clearly stated that we respect the program, we just don't root for them.  It's sports.   Pick a side.   

Like I said earlier, they have one heck of a program... and maybe that is the root of the dislike.  But like it was also mentioned earlier, why do I not dispise UConn?  Maybe because nobody is out there trying to force feed us Uconn and all it's glory. 

I don't like Notre Dame.   Has nothing to do with being a Baptist.  Has everything to do with them being on TV all the time and believing that I see them getting calls that can completely change the game.  And having a whole network of people... NBC... riding their jock which in the long run, will steer plenty of people away, but will also bring plenty of people in.   Duke, like it or not, may as well have a contract with ABC/ESPN and Dickie V should be on their payroll.  As long as things are the way they currently are, I will not be pulling for Duke or Notre Dame.... and I still don't like celery.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 01:48:10 pm
this whole thread is a big reason why many of us don't like Duke.  No answer given will be good enough for us to justify not liking them.  As you put it, Hogwash.   Why can't you just accept that some of us will never ride the Duke jock.

Sorry, you know.

Our (non-Duke fans) main reason for not liking Duke has been proven in these threads today.  You guys, like Dick, are trying to freakin shove your love of Duke down our throats.  So freakin what if I can't list 20 reasons why I don't like em.  I just don't like em.   I can't stand celery.  Do I need to make a list for you to explain that fully?  Most of us have clearly stated that we respect the program, we just don't root for them.  It's sports.   Pick a side.  

Like I said earlier, they have one heck of a program... and maybe that is the root of the dislike.  But like it was also mentioned earlier, why do I not dispise UConn?  Maybe because nobody is out there trying to force feed us Uconn and all it's glory. 

I don't like Notre Dame.   Has nothing to do with being a Baptist.  Has everything to do with them being on TV all the time and believing that I see them getting calls that can completely change the game.  And having a whole network of people... NBC... riding their jock which in the long run, will steer plenty of people away, but will also bring plenty of people in.   Duke, like it or not, may as well have a contract with ABC/ESPN and Dickie V should be on their payroll.  As long as things are the way they currently are, I will not be pulling for Duke or Notre Dame.... and I still don't like celery.

HEHEHEHEHE....Hit a nerve,huh.......   I don't think I ride anybody's jock-whatever that means.......  I don't think there is anybody on this board cramming Duke down anybody's throat......  they are just stating FACT......  That's all...........     I sure as hell, could give a rats ass if you like em or not.......  Dickie V is cool too........  He knows more about basketball than anybody else in america........ and that SI dude Seth something or another.....   It just pains you to see a team you dont' like win all the time doesn't it.......?

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 11:56:41 am

Again, not what I asked.  I asked IF jj played for a bad team would he make it better?  Not if he makes an already good team better.  If JJ redick was transported to the Mizzu tigers would he make them better?  I dont think so. 

You don't think adding a guy that can put up 30 a night, putts pressure on the defense, great free throw shooter, good defender wouldn't help any team? Dude what are you smoking?

HoopS

February 08, 2006, 02:01:43 pm #71 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 02:32:21 pm by hoophogs
i just gagged again.  :puke:

:P

I clearly stated earlier that I like Dickie V, but he goes overboard for the Dukies. 

How bout this, you can have the Dukies and I am gonna just stick with the Hogs and whoever the dookies play?   Fair enough?

go to cbssportline and read the article today by Doyel on Coach K.  Just kinda curious what you think about it.

hogtheball

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 01:48:10 pm
this whole thread is a big reason why many of us don't like Duke.  No answer given will be good enough for us to justify not liking them.  As you put it, Hogwash.   Why can't you just accept that some of us will never ride the Duke jock.

Sorry, you know.

Our (non-Duke fans) main reason for not liking Duke has been proven in these threads today.  You guys, like Dick, are trying to freakin shove your love of Duke down our throats.  So freakin what if I can't list 20 reasons why I don't like em.  I just don't like em.   I can't stand celery.  Do I need to make a list for you to explain that fully?  Most of us have clearly stated that we respect the program, we just don't root for them.  It's sports.   Pick a side.  

I don't like Notre Dame.   Has nothing to do with being a Baptist.  Has everything to do with them being on TV all the time and believing that I see them getting calls that can completely change the game.  And having a whole network of people... NBC... riding their jock which in the long run, will steer plenty of people away, but will also bring plenty of people in.   Duke, like it or not, may as well have a contract with ABC/ESPN and Dickie V should be on their payroll.  As long as things are the way they currently are, I will not be pulling for Duke or Notre Dame.... and I still don't like celery.

My favorite post.  Finally, somebody who just says they don't like Duke because they don't like 'em.  That's what college basketball is all about.  At least you didn't try to argue that Reddick wouldn't make a bad team any better, or that Coach K is over-rated.  I hate the Lakers.  Always have.  No number of championships will ever change my mind. 

HoopS

ty.   

Im just being honest.  I don't like Duke but I can't exactly tell you every reason why. 

Im not going to blatantly lie and say that I think Reddick sucks or whatever.... no, he is one outstanding shooter.  There is a link today on CBSsportsline that is interesting.  Talks about Coach K.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hoophogs on February 08, 2006, 02:25:03 pm
ty.  

Im just being honest.  I don't like Duke but I can't exactly tell you every reason why. 

Im not going to blatantly lie and say that I think Reddick sucks or whatever.... no, he is one outstanding shooter.  There is a link today on CBSsportsline that is interesting.  Talks about Coach K.

I read most of it..... Amazing, to me it's not his fault..... I'd ride the damn refs too...PITINO does, all the good ones do......  I dont' think it's K's fault the refs are weak and make calls so they won't get yelled at.....  but that's just me....  I like coaches with FIRE.......

Biggus Piggus

I don't like the Dook flop.  Coach K's entire stinkin system is built around his lovingly coveted hypnosis of the refs.  They let Dook players flop and call Krzyzewski's coveted phantom charging fouls.  Over and over and over.

I do not like the way ESPN recruits for Dook.  Good lord they get piles of free recruiting help from ESPN and ABC.  The value of that cannot be minimized. 

Nolan was 2-1 against Dook.  SO BOOM!
[CENSORED]!

HoopS

yea.   he does have fire.  He is a very good coach.  He does use bad language quite often (like the guy said, read his lips).  But all in all, he is a winner... no arguing that.

I really had no idea that we had so many Duke fans here.   I've been smited all day... lol.

If it's ok with you, this thread can just stop now.   Im tired of it and nothing has really changed because of this thread.... other than we spent too much time on it only to prove nothing.  You like Duke.  I don't.

have a great day.

clemensrules01

Quote from: mossfan3 on February 08, 2006, 09:35:23 am
I'm just telling you that next years UNC class will be awesome.  Mix in Hansbrough (sp) and they should be in the final 4. 
ur a tarheel fan and youre not sure how to spell the last name of your best player. and youre a cardinals fan?? sounds to me like we have a bandwagoner on our hands.

clemensrules01

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 01:29:39 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on February 08, 2006, 12:25:13 pm

Im not even trying to bash JJ.  And of course any coach would take him, but those are not my points.  My feeling is he would not be putting up the numbers he is if he were at these "bad" schools, without having to shoot alot more. And the numbers would not be as meaningful.  Oh yea, and he would not be a player of the year candidate.  He would still be a good player.  
he would be scoring more points at missouri. weaker teams to play against and he would have to score a lot to win. he would average 35 a game. missouri would be the 2nd or third best team in the big 12. and yes, he would be a player of the year candidate.

hogtheball

Give it up, Clemen - his hatred for J.J. is clouding his judgement. He won't even admit that J.J. would make Farmington High a better basketball team.

BigPapaHawg

Yeah I don't give a darn about Duke or Coach k, but Reddick is one awesome ball player!
WOO PIG

realtorhog

Quote from: dmac5 on February 07, 2006, 11:12:29 pm
i hate duke, coach k, and reddick so much.
heels>duke

You're just jealous.....admit it.

dukefan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 11:56:41 am

They would make the tourney with him!!!!!!!!

94 Hawg

clean successful program that doesn't refer to themselves as "America's team"

Go Blue devils (cept when u play the hogs) 
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on February 07, 2006, 11:14:54 pm
how can you hate reddick?  do your families have long-running feuds with each other?  I'll bet Skip's life that you don't.  i don't like duke, but I'll give reddick credit - all he does is win games.
He and his team do their jobs/scholarship duty. Why hate them for getting things done and not looking like utter fools on or off the court?