Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoffs benifit the SEC the most...

Started by bighog77, June 26, 2012, 06:48:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bighog77

People will still complain because I think a playoff will make more all SEC national championship games. Part of the reason for the playoff is SEC dominance. I don't think it changes with a 4 game playoff.

King TUSKankahamun

Seems to me the selection committee is gonna be an issue, lots of people have SEC envy/jealousy. There is no way LSU Bama would of been the NC game with this new playoff in place.
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

HiggiePiggy

It's a phase.  One day it will be the big 12 or 10 or PAC 12 that is the power house of all college football.   Right now it's the SEC. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

twistitup

June 26, 2012, 08:54:31 pm #3 Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:28:10 pm by twistitup
People will complain.....playoffs in college football will not stop this. Tomorrow morning the national guys will rip it apart, starting a whole new round of controversy in order to get ratings.

Trashing the BCS on radio was done for the same purpose, ratings.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hoggish1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 26, 2012, 08:44:30 pm
It's a phase.  One day it will be the big 12 or 10 or PAC 12 that is the power house of all college football.   Right now it's the SEC. 

I'm with 'ya: One day the sun will be go dark...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bighog77 on June 26, 2012, 06:48:56 pm
People will still complain because I think a playoff will make more all SEC national championship games. Part of the reason for the playoff is SEC dominance. I don't think it changes with a 4 game playoff.

Now that they have agreed to have a 4 team play-off, the fly in the ointment will be who is on the selection committee and the criteria that they use to select the teams.

What was it that Bobby Bowden said on CFB Today? Something like, "If I were on that committee and I had to select between two teams, one from the southeast and one from the west, and if all other things were equal between the two teams, I'd pick the team from the southeast because I know the coaches from that part of the country and know more about those teams". That is built-in bias. I'm glad he was honest about it, but that is exactly the kind of thing that you are going to be dealing with when you involve the human element.

And the human element can work a number of ways. If a Boise is close with respect to all the criteria but not quite on the inside, is the committee going to feel sorry for the "little guy" and Chris Peterson and vote to give them a shot? If they are using strict criteria and they aren't "in", should the human element be allowed to play a role that would create that kind of scenario?

And then there is the anti-SEC bias that probably exists everywhere but in the southeast. If you have two or three teams from the SEC that deserve to be there, is the committee going to override that in order to "give everyone else a chance"? If they don't I can guarantee that there will be screaming from the rooftops of other Div I conference offices. You and I both know that the other major conferences hated the fact that the BCS NCG was an ALL SEC final this past January.

Yes, a four team play-off is an improvement (still should be 8 teams) but the controversy is far from being over, in fact it's just getting started.
Go Hogs Go!

Teebow62

After the SEC wins three or four more in the next five years, that Big Ten blowhard Delaney will cry about revamping the playoff system again.

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on June 26, 2012, 08:54:31 pm
People will complain.....playoffs in college football will not stop this. Tomorrow morning the national guys will rip it apart, starting a whole new round of controversy in order to get ratings.

Trashing the BCS on radio was done for the same purpose, ratings.
Didn't read it, but it was there this morning on MSN front page.  Something like "4 Team playoff solves nothing."

twistitup

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 27, 2012, 12:03:36 pm
Didn't read it, but it was there this morning on MSN front page.  Something like "4 Team playoff solves nothing."

Typical of media....complain until progress is made, then they develop new 'issues' and complain more. It will never end.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: twistitup on June 27, 2012, 05:56:11 pm
Typical of media....complain until progress is made, then they develop new 'issues' and complain more. It will never end.

Well it very well might not solve anything if the committee that is made chooses to do something like only picking conferences champions or something similar to that.

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 26, 2012, 08:44:30 pm

I agree completely what you said about this being a phase and "our" time. And you can
bet your bottom dollar that we'd be screamin for no more than 1 team from each conference
if we weren't still in that phase too lol. I'd honestly rather see the SEC get shut out of
the playoffs when/if that down phase ever comes, and just always have the 4 very
best teams regardless of conference affiliation, than see stinkin "participation" trophies
handed out to lesser teams just so a conference doesn't feel left out.