Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone ever done anything with fresh water mussels?

Started by Boarcephus, June 11, 2017, 10:43:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

I think I've got a good source for mussels out of the White River.  I did a little research on the BGE Forum and they looked great.  Cast iron skillet on the egg, heat to 350 with marinara sauce, cook till they open, looks darn good to me.  My question is, has anyone here ever cooked mussels that they actually caught and if so, any pointers? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Growing up on the White River we boiled them in pot with red potatoes and corn. We opened them up like Oysters bread them with seasoned flour or cornmeal and fry them. They are good eats.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 11, 2017, 04:27:12 pm
Growing up on the White River we boiled them in pot with red potatoes and corn. We opened them up like Oysters bread them with seasoned flour or cornmeal and fry them. They are good eats.

Did you do anything to prep them, like purging them in fresh water for 24 hours or so?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Went looking for the damn things and said screw that!  Bought some at Richards for less the $4 a pound and that's what I'm going start doing.  Made them last night and turned out pretty darn good.  Does not take long for them to cook. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 11, 2017, 09:22:58 pm
Did you do anything to prep them, like purging them in fresh water for 24 hours or so?

Sorry yes we purged them for 24 hours in clean water.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 25, 2017, 02:06:45 pm
Sorry yes we purged them for 24 hours in clean water.

Found some, purged them for a day switching the water out 4 or 5 times and still couldn't get that stagnant, dirty river smell out of them.  Cooked them like I saw them do clams up north over a fire till they opened and then put cocktail sauce on some and garlic butter on the others and I have never knowingly stuck anything that nasty in my mouth sober.  Scratched that itch and won't do it again. 

DeltaBoy

Sorry to hear that , Sometimes they are like Big Catfish and taste muddy regardless of the prep. Try again  and flush them for 48 hours plus if they turn out bad the Cat will eat them.