Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's almost smallmouth time, ladies!

Started by Dillar Dog, March 07, 2017, 02:08:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillar Dog

Where you going?

I'm going to the fourche river at the west end of yell county.  If I see any of you there I'll set your truck on fire.

Inhogswetrust

Small mouth and the word ladies in the same sentence................Is that legal?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

campushog23

Looking for some tips on smallmouth fishing. My father and I are taking a trip to float the Mulberry River. I've read that it's a decent smallmouth stream, but while we are both long-time fisherman, we have very little experience fishing for smallmouth. Any tips or general ideas would be appreciated. We won't come invade your honey hole using all of your tricks. Thanks in advance.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: campushog23 on March 23, 2017, 12:13:28 pm
Looking for some tips on smallmouth fishing. My father and I are taking a trip to float the Mulberry River. I've read that it's a decent smallmouth stream, but while we are both long-time fisherman, we have very little experience fishing for smallmouth. Any tips or general ideas would be appreciated. We won't come invade your honey hole using all of your tricks. Thanks in advance.

Think small, think light line, think natural. Crawfish or minnow imitations - jigs in hair or silicone 1/4oz or lighter if you can find them - crank baits in brighter colors but small sized - soft plastics in grubs, lizards, and worms in smaller stature. The fish will tell you where to fish. Usually in and around structure in larger pools - tops and bottoms of riffles, eddy pools. Fish with longer casts and ahead of the canoe - it will be rare to get bit on water you've already passed over in narrow areas. Water clarity, depth, and movement all play huge in finding fish. If you float on a day when the water's up, off colored, or moving heavy your best hope will be larger pools where the flow calms down enough for fish to post up on structure near the bottom. Low or slow water sometimes will allow a small spinnerbait bite, but usually small jigs or grubs work best. Natural colors.

These suggestions are not guaranteed - they're only what has worked for me in the past.

Be safe, be smart, and enjoy your float. Post pics of your day.

Dillar Dog

If you find a slower riffle with a nice pool at the bottom, throw into the current and let it carry your lure to the bottom.  I've done really well with lizards, crawfish and worms doing that.

PonderinHog