Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Tomato Help

Started by Boog41, May 31, 2016, 11:40:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog41

For the life of me, I can't get tomato plants to convert blooms into fruit. I've gone through this for the last 15 years, every single time I try. I've sprayed bloom set and that didn't work either. This is a new location and sun light can't be a problem as they get it most all day long now. It doesn't matter what type of tomato it is either.

I'm attaching two pics. One is my set up and the other is a closeup of what happens to the blooms. The big pots have brand new Miracle Grow potting soil along with some purchased manure mixed in.

Thoughts anyone?

LSUFan

Bloom Rot would be my guess.

The stuff you spray on them will likely burn them up.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Boog41

I just planted these two weeks ago and have not sprayed anything on them. I have used the spray a few times, in years gone by, but not this year.

LSUFan

Quote from: Boog41 on May 31, 2016, 01:37:08 pm
I just planted these two weeks ago and have not sprayed anything on them. I have used the spray a few times, in years gone by, but not this year.
I've had this same issue before. I think it happens when the blooms don't get pollinated. Are you seeing any bees around the plants?

Boog41

Quote from: LSUFan on May 31, 2016, 01:40:11 pm
I've had this same issue before. I think it happens when the blooms don't get pollinated. Are you seeing any bees around the plants?

Haven't noticed any, maybe it is a pollination problem.

Boarcephus

Probably won't make any difference but did you plant those in pots?  Just saw the last picture.  I've never had any luck planting in pots unless it's something along the lines of a whiskey barrel.  Seems like they dry out too easy. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boog41

Yes, those are appx 20 gallon pots.

HawgWild

FWIW - Bees don't pollinate tomatoes and I've got a bad case of Fusarium Wilt on my Tomatoes. I'm going to have to give up planting heirlooms or move my garden area elsewhere.

Boog41 - I'm guessing you have Blossom Drop.
1. Extreme temperatures. Cool nights (consistently below 55ºF) or hot spells (days consistently about 90ºF and nights consistently above 75ºF) force the tomato plant to abandon fruit production and focus merely on surviving. Tomatoes' optimum daytime temperature range for setting fruit is between 70º-85ºF.
2. Poor pollination. When temperatures are too hot or too cold, insects aren't active in the garden. Not as many blossoms are pollinated. Along the same lines, without proper humidity (40-70%), pollen has difficulty releasing or sticking.
3. Stress. Tomatoes have deep root systems. Shallow watering develops shallow root systems, which can weaken tomato plants.
4. Improper fertilizing. Tomatoes are heavy feeders. Nitrogen (represented proportionally by the first number in a fertilizer's three-number series) encourages leaf growth. Too much nitrogen-rich fertilizer, without accompanying phosphorus and potassium, can mean plants develop more leaves than fruit.
5. Too many blossoms. When a healthy tomato plant has many blossoms, they compete for food. Some won't survive.

Boog41

Thanks Hawg for your thoughts. Right now I think I'm going to try to address your #2. These plants are only about ten days old, so I think #'s 1-3-4-5 wouldn't apply right now. Think I'll go buy some flower pots and sit around the plants and see if that will help bring some other insects around for pollination purposes.

BR

Boog,

I put my containers of Peppers & tomatoes right next to some of my Flowers and they are rocking... Miracle Grow Planting soil, plus I have fed them twice with Tomato food.  These plants went in Buckets around 20 of April, they were about 8-10" tall.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boog41

Those look really good BR. You'll probably have to send me some!

Now that you mention peppers, I have the exact same problem with them as the tomatoes. It's been 3-4 years since I even tried growing any. The blooms just don't turn into a pepper.

I did go buy three flower pots today and put them around my tomatoes. We'll see.

BR

My Garden for 2016 So Far, More Blackberry & Blueberry plants to go..

25 Tomatoes
23 Pepper plants
40 Asparagus plants 2 year old.
4 Rows Beans
5 rows Potatoes
1 row sweet potatoes
6 Zucchini plants
4 rows 1st planting Sweet Corn
4 rows 2nd planting Sweet Corn
8 rows ready for more sweet corn
6 Cucumber plants
Red onions
Spinach
Lettuce

LSUFan

Quote from: BR on June 01, 2016, 02:54:36 pm

25 Tomatoes
23 Pepper plants
4 Rows Beans
5 rows Potatoes
1 row sweet potatoes
6 Zucchini plants
6 Cucumber plants
Red onions
Spinach
Lettuce
Address?  :D

Boog41

Quote from: BR on June 01, 2016, 02:54:36 pm

25 Tomatoes
23 Pepper plants
4 Rows Beans
5 rows Potatoes
1 row sweet potatoes
6 Zucchini plants
6 Cucumber plants
Red onions
Spinach
Lettuce

Have hoe, will work for food! That's a dandy looking list BR.

BR