Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Books about flying

Started by john c, September 28, 2015, 09:55:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

john c

There may be a thread on this but couldn't find it.  In any event, some may like flying books.  Recent additions to my stash include:

"Flying Black Ponies" by Kit Lavell.  Gritty stories of Navy squadron VAL-4 (the Black Ponies), a land based Navy squadron flying OV-10 Broncos.

"Charter Pilot" by Mark Burgess.  Light, easy to read experiences of a charter pilot, from learning to fly at 16 to owning a charter service with numerous jets.

"Aeronautics Aircraft Spotters' Handbook" edited by L.C. Guthman, Ensign U.S.N.R.  I was given this 1943 copy that covers virtually every plane flying then, friendly and enemy.

"What It Is Like To Go To War" by Karl Marlantes.  Not about flying but Viet Nam era combat.

GusMcRae

Add "My Journey West" by Albert Ackerman, to your list.

Al Ackerman lives out in the Ruidoso area, turned 82 recently.  I picked up a copy last year at the "Rainmaker" golf course while on our annual golf trip, they had them for sale in the pro shop.   I've seen the books at KSRR for sale there too. 
It's a very short but entertaining read.  Filled with great little short stories of when he was just flying as a teen and very young adult.  My personal favorite was when he was ferrying a new Piper Cub or something similar, above a layer of clouds, and the urge to go el numero dos hit him, and the contractions would not subside.  Had to spread out a chart in the plane and take care of business. 
Then on to bigger and better jobs, he demo'd Leer Jets for a company who developed basically the equivalent of putting a STOL kit on them.  Demo'd them all over the world.   
He's had quite the dream aviation career. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

john c

October 01, 2015, 11:38:09 am #2 Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:37:01 am by john c
Thanks, I'll have to get that, maybe on Amazon?

john c

Those that take the pooch with them might like:

"Dog Is My Copilot" by Patrick Regan

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Flying Razorback

Lots of great books on flying.

For actual "how to fly an airplane..." books, you can't beat "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.  First written in 1944, it's a great read on control of aircraft.

I'll have to scan my bookshelf, but I've got any and all types.  For WWI, try "Unsubstantial Air".  Or for more technical World War I aviation history, "SOMME SUCCESS: The Royal Flying Corps and the Battle of The Somme 1916" by my favorite World War I historian, Peter Hart.

Vietnam's classic is "Thud Ridge". 

The Gulf War "Every Man a Tiger" by Clancy and Horner. 

And for stories of flying from the seat of your pants era, you've got to get ahold of a copy of "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest Gann.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."