Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mountain Crash - AOPA real pilot story

Started by GusMcRae, May 19, 2015, 11:10:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live?watch=55F46B63-D74E-4B81-A81D-BC74932BFE6D&CMP=ADV:1

Lucky pilot and family.

Wife and daughter wearing capri pants and sandals in a winter time flight over mountains.... 

Probably hard for a pilot to get back into the left seat after a deal like this, and even harder for the family to get back in a small plane at all.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

john c

Very good video.  Low time, cross country over mountainous ...  Would have thought IFR rating would have been a high priority.  Did he say 300 hrs since he was 16 and he had to be around 40 - about an hour/month?

Thanks for posting.

Flying Razorback

I'll try and watch this tomorrow.  I really like when AOPA puts these out.

I'm a big fan of "dress to egress".  It's engrained in to us and I see it all the time at commercial airports.  I used to live in Chicago and it'd be January and 20 degrees and snowing outside but people would be boarding planes for Mexico or Miami wearing shorts and flip flops because of the destination.  I always wear shoes with traction and long pants and keep my jacket with me in case we go off the end of the runway or have to egress in to that freezing weather.  Or end up in Hudson or something.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Warbirdhog

Quote from: Flying Razorback on May 20, 2015, 09:00:38 pm
I'll try and watch this tomorrow.  I really like when AOPA puts these out.

I'm a big fan of "dress to egress".  It's engrained in to us and I see it all the time at commercial airports.  I used to live in Chicago and it'd be January and 20 degrees and snowing outside but people would be boarding planes for Mexico or Miami wearing shorts and flip flops because of the destination.  I always wear shoes with traction and long pants and keep my jacket with me in case we go off the end of the runway or have to egress in to that freezing weather.  Or end up in Hudson or something.

Ironic you mentioned ending up in the Hudson. I recall watching an interview with a female passenger who was on that flight. She said that was the last time she got on a plane with high heels on, from then on she would wear footwear that would have some chance of traction & protection. As for myself I have always worn jeans and either my boots or other leather footwear.