Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Flying Service… No Mo

Started by gotyacovered, December 09, 2014, 05:34:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

In financial trouble after the charter flight that crashed in Monroe...

TACair bought hangars and FBO. Central is keeping maintenance, detail and avionics shop for now.

Somebody (Central) didn't have enough insurance. Been in Business for 75 years. I will post more details later, headed to the office Christmas party.

Makes much more sense knowing this now that TACair bought Supermarine... I don't believe that was just luck or coincidence.
You are what you tolerate.

john c

The Arkansas Business article addresses some questions but raises more.  How did they get to Beaumont?  Did Mauldin fly them there?  From where?  Were those hours included in his 10 in type?  How recent were the hours?  Who knew he was reluctant to fly?  In any event, the info showing the tight, high speed, right ascending turn followed by a 100 degree plunge into the ground gives you cold chills.  I wonder if they know if anyone was sitting in the right front seat.  There is no telling what was going on in the cabin beginning about the time he flew through the localizer.

Flying Razorback

I read nearly every accident report I can find.  So many that they start to all read the same. 

This one highlights one of (if not the) biggest emphasis items in the Air Force and airlines,  the stabilized approach.  We have gates we have to be within specific parameters on an instrument approach or it's an automatic go around. 

You hate read in the reports and see all the times the pilot had the opportunity to knock it off and give it another shot.  He was high, fast, and off course.  Tower tried to give him an out but he was in too bad a position already.   Anytime you start to hear yourself or your copilot say "I'm not going to be able to make this..."  Then it's time to go around.

There's no reason to salvage an instrument approach inside the final approach fix like that. 

I know it's easier said than done.   But you have to brief those parameters and force yourself to follow them on the approach.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

I keep wondering.... 10hrs in a MM and they send him off with pax on a trip in IMC... Then I heard this today, from more than article... And that one pax may have been part owner.

pilot: boss, I'm not comfortable taking this flight...

Chief pilot: take it or find another job.

FBO is toast.

By the way I have not heard one positive thing about the chief pilot, but that is just perception, may not be reality.

john c

For Flying R.  If I can find it there is an article in a pretty old edition of Flying that tells about a hot shot AF pilot who was simply a great "by the seats" pilot - grew up flying and hot shotting, river bottoms chasing, and maybe spraying.  Had the natural talents.  Flying right seat in a C-130 (I think) he has some disdain for his by the books, left seat superior officer Captain - just no fun.  Then one day in Germany a weird weather phenom knocks everything within range to virtually zero-zero.  Short is that the "by the books" dull Captain puts the plane down on the numbers in visibility so bad that "hot shot" can't see the runway looking straight down after the plane gets stopped.  He says that the "follow me" truck actually runs into the plane visibility is so poor.  Anyway, he came away with a profound respect for the ability to make decisions based on pre-established numbers and "by the books" flying.  If I can find it, I'll post the month, year, volume.

I wonder about passengers because in a small plane they are up front and personal with you when things get tough.  I've shared about the pilot who crashed the Seneca we had just sold a bank primarily, IMO, because he tried to calm the passengers rather than fly the plane.  I was on a helicopter sightseeing trip on the Big Island with my son and three Japanese ladies when the pilot let himself drift into the clouds.  I knew but no one else knew that we were all of a sudden in some trouble so I tapped him on the shoulder and pointing to my eyes, let him know that I knew.  The three women had already begun to get sick and as soon as the world turned dark gray they began barfing.  I told my son to take care of them and me and the pilot would take care of the rest which we did.  In that case, passenger helped.  In previous not so much.  I do believe it can be a small plane accident factor.   

theFlyingHog

So TacAir owns the FBO now, what used to be "central south"?

gotyacovered

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 11, 2014, 03:14:43 pm
So TacAir owns the FBO now, what used to be "central south"?

if i understand it correctly... TACair=central north/south and all the hangars. everything except mx, avionics and paint.

i heard today that central may also retain central corporate, which ironically enough is the charter ops (i think they are keeping b/c its also the sales office) and the filight trainig. i have a hard time believeing this, but i heard from a reliable source.

basically, i would hang my hat on this.... if you want to hangar, buy fuel or use the potty, you will be doing in a TACair facility... other than that i am not sure whats going on besides what the rumor mill says.

theFlyingHog

Cool with me. I never did like the owners when I worked there. I would love to see flight training switch hands before I go back for my commercial.

Pistol Pete

December 11, 2014, 05:29:46 pm #10 Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:11:19 pm by Pistol Pete
 I don't know the man personally, or even if he still lives, but I'm not a Truman Arnold fan.

Jeff, dont you guys hunt in the same neck of the woods?

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on December 11, 2014, 05:29:46 pm
I don't know the man personally, or even if he still lives, but I'm not a Truman Arnold fan.

Jeff, dont you guys hunt in the same neck of the woods?

Yes... Kinda. He's in the 7 digit club, I'm in the lower pay grade club!!!

My TACair feelings=Love dealing with them until you get a bill... TXK is the worst one. they hit me for $60 bc I was late returning their crew car 45min late on a Tuesday, when they have 2 cars, and I was the only one there.... they tell me that on the front end, no prob, but they didn't.

Central wasn't exactly great either... I expect for service to worsen and prices to increase as there isn't any more competition...

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 11, 2014, 04:51:55 pm
Cool with me. I never did like the owners when I worked there. I would love to see flight training switch hands before I go back for my commercial.

Ya, how ironic is it that a central trained pilot contracted thru their charter service arent going away but the FBO is!

Anyone know who operates the restaurant?