Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What I like about you, you hold me tight...

Started by Pork Twain, March 12, 2018, 06:02:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Not really, but what I like about Morris, when compared to some of the other names we were looking at, is that he has actually done quite well with a talent level similar to the one we are used to.  I was not excited about this guy at first, but I def was not excited about Gus or Norvell.  Gus has a problem taking it to the house with more than twice the talent we have (plus I just don't like that [CENSORED]) and Norvell never has a defense.  With the talent level at Clemson compared to ours, how the defense fared there with this offense and the hiring of Chavis, I am pretty pumped going forward.  Hell I am pretty pumped about this year.  Then again I was pretty excited about Bret, so there's that too, but nowhere near as excited as I was with Bobby P.

The article Muskogee has shared a couple of times get me more excited every time I read it.

We are still bottom in this group but the talent gap is much smaller between us and the Clemson group that has stormed onto the scene, than it is to the Auburn group.

Average 24/7 classes 2004-2017
Auburn 12.64
Clemson 18.42
Arkansas 25.7

Average 24/7 classes 2009-2017 (Dabo Arrived in 2009, Morris from 11-14 and Gus in 2013)
Auburn 9.66
Clemson 17.77
Arkansas 25.88
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jgphillips3

I truly believe, if Morris can move us from our #25 average recruiting to around #14-#18 consistently, we can compete with anyone and on a special year win an SEC title.

Al Boarland

I think he will do a pretty good job. I'm not expecting greatness, but respectability would be a welcomed change.

Pork Twain

I think he can get us back to Bobby Petrino Results.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pig in the Pokey

Feels like BETTER than Petrino even, as we'll have a defense, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 12, 2018, 10:37:45 am
I truly believe, if Morris can move us from our #25 average recruiting to around #14-#18 consistently, we can compete with anyone and on a special year win an SEC title.

Right! It will still take a special year for us to win a title, one in which the key players stay healthy and the schedule sets up well and we get a favorable bounce or two. Avoiding Marc Curles' crew wouldn't hurt either..

When you think about it though, it takes a special year for any team other than 'Bama to win the west as long as Saban is there and as motivated as he has been the last 10 years.

Auburn is the ONLY SEC West team to win it other than the Tide since 2011. In 2013, it took a miraculous Hail Mary that was so off target for two UGA DBs to bat it up in the air to a Barner WR 5 yards away when just batting it down would have ended the game to win that one.

Then, Manziel had to leave the game 2-3 times with a shoulder injury for them to beat A&M. Then the "Kick 6" play to avoid OT vs 'Bama won that one. Thus, a team that should have been 4-4 or 5-3 in the SEC lucked their way into the SECCG and the NCG.

In 2017, Auburn got 'Bama at home again, finally found a good QB via transfer and stayed healthy until toward the end of the Iron Bowl.

A&M in Manziel's Heisman season and OM in 2015 are the only other teams to come that close to winning the West, ok, maybe MSU that 1 year with Prescott, and let's not forget that in 2011 and 2017, 'Bama got into and won the NC without winning the West.

We have had the misfortune to be in the same division as a team that has had a 10 year run unlike any in the history of CFB. No other program has EVER won their conference and/or the NC so many times in that span and won the NC twice without winning the conference. 1 season out of 10 with more than 2 losses (3 in 2010)

We must catch up with the others before we can hope to take them on and hope Saban gets content at some point or retires.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 12, 2018, 11:53:33 pm
I think he can get us back to Bobby Petrino Results.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 13, 2018, 12:00:14 am

I think that would be great. It isn't impossible. Knowing that there is a lot of learning going on with a yet another change in offensive and defensive schemes, I also think that it is going to take some time if we are to get back to Petrino-like results. I expect to see improvement on both sides of the ball but as the staff has pointed out more than once, there is hesitation in the execution because players are still having to "think" about how to execute rather than just doing it out of habit. Obviously, that hesitation isn't our friend. But I think that it is quite normal at this point to have some hesitation as they learn.

We'll see how it all plays out. I would love to see perfect execution the first year out of the chutes but I don't expect it. What is definitely possible is being conditioned to such an extent that the team can give 100% max effort for entire games and to have better in-game adjustments by the coaching staff. Those two things alone should prevent 2nd half let downs and give us a better shot at a couple of more wins each year. We may be a couple of years away from a potential return to Petrino-like results.
Go Hogs Go!

Wild Boarnado

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 13, 2018, 05:39:02 am
I think that would be great. It isn't impossible. Knowing that there is a lot of learning going on with a yet another change in offensive and defensive schemes, I also think that it is going to take some time if we are to get back to Petrino-like results. I expect to see improvement on both sides of the ball but as the staff has pointed out more than once, there is hesitation in the execution because players are still having to "think" about how to execute rather than just doing it out of habit. Obviously, that hesitation isn't our friend. But I think that it is quite normal at this point to have some hesitation as they learn.

We'll see how it all plays out. I would love to see perfect execution the first year out of the chutes but I don't expect it. What is definitely possible is being conditioned to such an extent that the team can give 100% max effort for entire games and to have better in-game adjustments by the coaching staff. Those two things alone should prevent 2nd half let downs and give us a better shot at a couple of more wins each year. We may be a couple of years away from a potential return to Petrino-like results.

This is exactly how I see things for the coming year. I feel optimistic that we are on the road to building success, but I don't expect it overnight. Right now, the thing that feeds my optimism is that this coaching staff is all on the same page. CCM has his plan and the staff is all on board implementing his process. It may not show up in the win column this season, but I do expect to see us improved and continue to improve over the next couple of years returning to a winning, relevant program again.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Nashville Fan

Playing against Saban, I think it is unreasonable to hope for anything other than sporadic change at SEC title. With the resurgence of GA, maybe this will change but I don't think so. Saban has always said that if AL can finish second in recruiting in GA then they will win NCs. We will see.

I do think our chances of beating Saban are better under Morris than even Petrino. For some odd reason, Saban teams are beatable by x high school coaches.
Pittman or Bust!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 13, 2018, 12:00:14 am

Maybe sooner, but I don't know about better. Bobby finally understood he had to build a defense to sin it here, but he DID figure it out... I got on the Morris express as soon as I saw who they were targeting in recruiting, even before they named a DC...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.