Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interview with WWII Pilot

Started by OnTheHillHogFan, March 08, 2016, 02:06:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OnTheHillHogFan

This was posted in the When Pigs Fly forum but I thought more people should watch it(only had 47 views). Its an interview with a Captain from WWII who flew the last combat mission in the war.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/395572/jerry-yellin-world-war-ii-veteran-interview#.Vt6HHscdfox

Here is a link to his website. He is still traveling around the country and speaking at various events.

http://captainjerryyellin.com
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

LZH

My dad was in the South Pacific, and we went to reunions for years and years, even after he passed. These guys are truly the last great generation. It is a shame that they have faded a bit in the public's mind over the years.

The very reason I moved to Florida is linked to World War II. The company that I do contract work for is owned by a friend of mine that I met nearly 30 years ago at one of these reunions. His grandfather and my dad were on the same ship. All of our families are still close.

I hope as these old timers pass on, and their numbers dwindle to just a few hundred, that there is more of a spotlight put on them and what their generation accomplished for all of us.

DeltaBoy

My Grandpa was in the South Pacific in WW2 and I sure miss him thanks for the memories.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

wacohogbill

Thank you for posting. Everyone needs to hear this.

colemjh

RollHogTide

Quote from: wacohogbill on March 08, 2016, 11:26:15 am
Thank you for posting. Everyone needs to hear this.

X3 - Thank You!!!

flagstaffhog

Thank you, Captain Yellin. May God bless you, Sir.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Vantage 8 dude

We owe ALL those from the Greatest Generation our undying gratitude and respect for their sacrifices to help ensure the world remained free from the Germans, Italian and Japanese Axis. Then again, we owe EVERY generation our thanks for their service as well.

I was talking not long ago to a colleague whose dad piloted a B17 Flying Fortress at the age of 19. Not only did he have the responsibility of the plane, but for his nine fellow crew members of the bomber as well. My friend and I marveled at the maturity and leadership his dad has displayed; we couldn't think of too many 19 year old kids this day in age that we'd entrust the same responsibility to.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 10, 2016, 02:53:59 pm
We owe ALL those from the Greatest Generation our undying gratitude and respect for their sacrifices to help ensure the world remained free from the Germans, Italian and Japanese Axis. Then again, we owe EVERY generation our thanks for their service as well.

I was talking not long ago to a colleague whose dad piloted a B17 Flying Fortress at the age of 19. Not only did he have the responsibility of the plane, but for his nine fellow crew members of the bomber as well. My friend and I marveled at the maturity and leadership his dad has displayed; we couldn't think of too many 19 year old kids this day in age that we'd entrust the same responsibility to.

I wouldn't entrust a six pack of Red Bull to a 19 y/o today, after being around a lot of youth these past 3 years.
In some ways the same.
In other ways a completely different breed.
Thank you, SJWs.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Boarcephus

I've had a chance to talk to several WWII vets at the VA.  Mostly bomber crewmen and many were shoot down.  Interesting stories but for the most part, they were treated well by the Germans.

Had a Viet Nam era pilot who flew with John McCain.  Didn't speak very highly of the congressman.  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.