Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luke Jones and Notre Dame

Started by Tusks, December 18, 2017, 10:54:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jacobp on December 20, 2017, 08:08:24 pm
Born and raised in Arkansas, been in the south bend area for 2 1/2 years now. This is my 3rd winter. I didn't find the first two to be that bad. Lots of snow but they actually know how to treat and plow roads here. It's hardly been an issue, other than I have a steep driveway so I do have to do a bit of snowblowing and salting.
South Bend definitely isn't a stereotypical college town and it has some rough parts around the edges but it's getting cleaner and more modern every day. Can't say I want to live here forever but I've enjoyed it so far. Really like being 30 minutes from a sandy beach with no damn salt water

May be a sandy beach, but it's never warm water. It's only fit for salmon and steelhead fishing, which is alright.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jacobp

Eh, I've had no problem swimming in Lake Michigan.

Ā 

nationwish

Quote from: IrishShenanigans69 on December 20, 2017, 03:50:38 pm
So funny to hear people talk about NDs winters.  As someone who grew up in the Ark Delta, visiting ND in winter and seeing how beautiful the campus was is one of the main reasons I attended lol.  The business school being so highly ranked was a nice bonus.

To each their own!  I wanted to get a way from the humidity and mosquitos for a few years lol.  Feet of snow was better for me.

I don't know how rough actual winter is in South Bend. When I got up there it is usually in March or April. Either way, it is almost always overcast or snowing. March or April should be spring, not winter, and I'm not convinced you ever have sunny days there.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: nationwish on December 20, 2017, 10:55:56 pm
I don't know how rough actual winter is in South Bend. When I got up there it is usually in March or April. Either way, it is almost always overcast or snowing. March or April should be spring, not winter, and I'm not convinced you ever have sunny days there.

The winters up there suck. I lived in Carmel a year, Noblesville for 5 and just outside Lafayette for 6, and these are all south of South Bend. The winters are long and miserable compared to Arkansas. The summers are too short and not hot enough.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

bphi11ips

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 20, 2017, 11:03:05 pm

The winters up there suck. I lived in Carmel a year, Noblesville for 5 and just outside Lafayette for 6, and these are all south of South Bend. The winters are long and miserable compared to Arkansas. The summers are too short and not hot enough.

But the fairways are bent and you can play golf until 10:00.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 20, 2017, 11:08:43 pm
But the fairways are bent and you can play golf until 10:00.

That was a definite positive.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 19, 2017, 08:49:26 am
When I was a kid I really liked ND, but I can say now it absolutely would not be hard for me to turn them down. There is winter and there is WINTER. And I just can't live with the version they get.
You have "Lake Effect Snow" from the north and west, and Rust colored snow when the wind blows just right.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jacobp

Lol it's really not that bad. Maybe I haven't had a bad winter yet or something.
But still can't beat the summers. Max generally around 90 and stays light until almost 10

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on December 20, 2017, 02:08:46 pm
They are doing alot of construction downtown right now. Seemed okay when we visited, but nothing special. Did not look like a college town. I think the image of ND and the reality are two very different things.

But a degree from ND carries some weight, and it'd be hard for a college football player to turn them down I would think.
Agree on the city of SB itself but the ND campus is a thing of beauty. Saying a degree from ND carries some weight is an understatement. They have an alumni network like no other and they tend to take care of each other. It's one of the top 15 or 20 universities in the country. Smaller than I thought too...undergrad student body is 8,500.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

wachhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2017, 04:53:33 pm
Bielema didn't offer and apparently we weren't interested for some reason.
Bielema probably wasn't interested because he knew Jim Mabry knew more about football than he did. I am soooooo glad that tub of lard and is Vegas blond are gone!

rmcchris

Quote from: wachhog on December 21, 2017, 10:21:37 am
Bielema probably wasn’t interested because he knew Jim Mabry knew more about football than he did. I am soooooo glad that tub of lard and is Vegas blond are gone!
This

rmcchris

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 20, 2017, 05:08:14 pm
You are correct. Cole is an all-American kid. Don’t want anyone to get the idea it had anything to do with off-field issues. 
My son was on his HS team.  There is no off the field issues with Cole.  It is as you say above, all-American kid.

rmcchris

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 20, 2017, 05:08:14 pm
You are correct. Cole is an all-American kid. Don’t want anyone to get the idea it had anything to do with off-field issues. 
Hey is Matthew your son? Great kid and great kicker.  I live in the BW.  My son played and graduated two years ago. 

Ā 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Charlie Polk on December 19, 2017, 12:59:39 pm
That and a train ride on Fri/Sat night through Gary, Calumet City, and the South Side is not something I would want my son doing on a regular basis.

Who does not want to party in Gary, Indiana?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Birminghog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 21, 2017, 09:06:43 am
Agree on the city of SB itself but the ND campus is a thing of beauty. Saying a degree from ND carries some weight is an understatement. They have an alumni network like no other and they tend to take care of each other. It's one of the top 15 or 20 universities in the country. Smaller than I thought too...undergrad student body is 8,500.

Agree with the quality of the degree, but the campus a thing of beauty? I may need to take you on a tour of some college campuses. It's nicer than U Memphis or UAB, but not exactly a thing of beauty.

jacobp

Lol it's a fantastic campus.
Anyone need an excuse to check it out just come on up when the hogs play here in 2020. I'll rent out cot space in my basement,

bphi11ips

December 21, 2017, 02:50:46 pm #66 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:12:20 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: rmcchris on December 21, 2017, 01:49:34 pm
Hey is Matthew your son? Great kid and great kicker.  I live in the BW.  My son played and graduated two years ago. 

Yep.  Thanks!

P.S. - Matthew was also the goalie on BW's hockey team.  He played on ND's ice and loved the campus. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: Birminghog on December 21, 2017, 02:39:16 pm
Agree with the quality of the degree, but the campus a thing of beauty? I may need to take you on a tour of some college campuses. It's nicer than U Memphis or UAB, but not exactly a thing of beauty.

was thinking the same thing. It is a nice campus, but that was about it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rljjr

IronMountainHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 21, 2017, 02:05:45 pm
Who does not want to party in Gary, Indiana?
Michael Jackson heeeee heeeeeee shamona!!!!

rmcchris

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 21, 2017, 02:50:46 pm
Yep.  Thanks!

P.S. - Matthew was also the goalie on BW's hockey team.  He played on ND's ice and loved the campus. 
Cool.  Let's get him up to the hill. For sure want to invite you to our tailgates!  Go Bruins, Go Hogs.

pigture perfect

I thought I heard on the radio last night that ND had maxed out for their signings. Did I misunderstand?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jacobp

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on December 21, 2017, 03:19:34 pm
I agree with this.  It is a beautiful place in the fall, don't know about winters.  But it seems like the alum is everywhere, just pop up out of the woodwork so to speak.    Do they still have the College Football Hall of Fame there?
It's been gone for awhile now. Moved to Atlanta, I think.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 21, 2017, 03:59:20 pm
I thought I heard on the radio last night that ND had maxed out for their signings. Did I misunderstand?

They signed 20 according to 247sports, and only two of them are OLine.  I don't know how many they intend to sign. They could be up against the 85 limit.

Ā 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Birminghog on December 21, 2017, 02:39:16 pm
I have not been to any ivy league campuses. ND's campus is very nice. Architecture is all very pleasing and consistent and grounds and bldgs well maintained. It's beautiful.

What do you think of SMU's campus?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Captain Morgan

Notre Shame Coach is on the hot seat. Makes no sense to go there and get coached by an interim coach

Steef

Quote from: Captain Morgan on December 25, 2017, 09:56:24 am
Notre Shame Coach is on the hot seat. Makes no sense to go there and get coached by an interim coach

Unless you want an education from Notre Dame.

texas tush hog

Notre Dame board is saying in winds up a Hog.

jackflash

Just because he waiting doesn't he won't be a hog come on guys

RD

He just committed to Notre Dame.

RD

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on December 27, 2017, 12:17:05 pm
WEAK! He fit this system better than the last one. Hope he never plays
The kid is going to Notre Dame, be happy for him. Don't be a jerk.

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on December 27, 2017, 12:19:56 pm
Hard pass. Good for him, ND is a great school, storied program. But my allegiance lies with the Hogs, not a former commit of the Hogs. Don't wish him ill will, but won't be rooting for him.
You do wish him ill.  You hope he never plays. Because he won't play for the team you like, you hope he fails.

247Hog

Quote from: Karma on December 27, 2017, 12:22:35 pm
You do wish him ill.  You hope he never plays. Because he won't play for the team you like, you hope he fails.

I don't wish him ill anything. However, it would be great if he has to watch us beat ND twice in a few years from now.

Edit : Dates of the games are Sept. 12, 2020, at Notre Dame and Oct. 4, 2025, at Arkansas

Hope he sees us beat them once in person and one in the stands/TV.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

AirWarren

Quote from: AP85 on December 19, 2017, 08:53:28 am
Who cares. He is gone and not coming back.

Press forward.

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 19, 2017, 02:39:39 pm
Glad you're so much in the know on this. I hope that you've both informed the coaching staff not to waste their time and are also going to give us the 100% inside scoop on what the rest of our recruits are going to decide. I mean since you're on the inside and all.......

Come again?..........

ricepig

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

artvandelay

Snout team

December 27, 2017, 12:52:05 pm #87 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:03:34 pm by #hammerdown
https://twitter.com/Luke__jones26/status/946079245817786368

This one hurts more than most.  I wouldn't say Jones has elite skill.  But when you look at our OL recruiting for the past few years and the aging of our highest rated players it is concerning.  Add to that the fact that almost everyone else on our target list for 2018 has committed and/or signed elsewhere.  Robinson is still a possibility and hopefully he is better than his ranking.

I believe Luke really wanted to be a Razorback but ND put pressure on him to commit now or they were moving on.  He just didn't have enough confidence in the new staff to roll that dice.  Additionally ND is a big name and has a lot of prestige.

Hopefully this staff can pull the rabbit out of the hat and flip someone who is at least as good and hopefully better than Jones.  If not, we MUST go all out on OL for next year's class.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

ricepig

So much for letting the new staff have time to build a relationship, oh well, next!! ND was pressing for a commit or he was going to lose his spot with them. I thought since he didn't sign during the early period that he was going to test that and give our new guys some time. You knew when he took an unofficial visit during the season, and then an official visit that he wasn't fully committed to us. This year was going to be rough with the coaching change, but you hate the precedent of out of state schools coming in and getting recruits out of our top 5. Morris can't allow this with next year's loaded class.

Quote from: 247Hog on December 27, 2017, 12:32:48 pm
I don't wish him ill anything. However, it would be great if he has to watch us beat ND twice in a few years from now.

Edit : Dates of the games are Sept. 12, 2020, at Notre Dame and Oct. 4, 2025, at Arkansas

Hope he sees us beat them once in person and one in the stands/TV.
Rock City Razorback said he hopes he never plays.

Highway Hog Sign

The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

RaisinHog

Quote from: RD on December 27, 2017, 12:18:38 pm
The kid is going to Notre Dame, be happy for him. Don't be a jerk.

No screw notre damn this is not the early 90's .. people like you piss me off .. why are you even on a hog message board if you think we should be happy for some one going elsewhere ... Go get on a stinking irish message board ..

HogT

Saturday down south just post tweet from Luke saying he will sign with ND
Practice does not make perfect...
Practice makes permanent...
PERFECT practice makes perfect...

AirWarren

Again.

People have been crying for years the quality of kid he was recruiting. Then when one he recruited decommits, the crying begins.

Notre Dame is light years ahead of u of Arkansas Fayetteville in many regards. So I don't blame him.

Best of luck.

artvandelay

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 01:07:40 pm
Again.

People have been crying for years the quality of kid he was recruiting. Then when one he recruited decommits, the crying begins.

Notre Dame is light years ahead of u of Arkansas Fayetteville in many regards. So I don't blame him.

Best of luck.
University of NWA

ricepig

Quote from: artvandelay on December 27, 2017, 01:10:22 pm
University of NWA

Then it should have been a cinch for a PA player......

ifghog

Yeah hope he doesn't get injured or anything but I do not wish him success there. Sorry...i am a Hog fan not a ND fan.

artvandelay

AirWarren

Quote from: ifghog on December 27, 2017, 01:12:12 pm
Yeah hope he doesn't get injured or anything but I do not wish him success there. Sorry...i am a Hog fan not a ND fan.

I'm actually a fan of the Irish Program and I hope he does well.

Redhogs

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 27, 2017, 01:05:54 pm
No screw notre damn this is not the early 90's .. people like you piss me off .. why are you even on a hog message board if you think we should be happy for some one going elsewhere ... Go get on a stinking irish message board ..
With ya man. Talk about a program that feels entitled...not going to change here until and if we start to win, it's that simple. Thanks Bert, the damage done to this program is going to take some time to reverse, as much as i hate to say it.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?