Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How confident are you in Morris' offensive scheme coming into the SEC?

Started by Sweet Feet, December 21, 2017, 09:42:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 27, 2017, 06:24:06 pm
It's not the same style of rushing power attack. I suspect you know that.

Power play is man blocking

The big change will be the zone read stuff.  Luckily for new staff they have two guards that can clean up linebackers in the zone scheme
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 27, 2017, 06:26:26 pm
Agree with all of this.

I didn't like it when Petrino took Arkansas in the direction of a Louisville-class program, not even when we were winning. I said so then. I still think it is possible to play championship caliber football in Fayetteville. I don't think Bielema was the right coach to build it. He talked a good game then left us scratching our heads in the execution of it from personnel to game time decisions.

I think many are willing to trade victories in shootouts for a shot at championships.  Defense will always be a key. It takes fundamentally sound football in all three areas of the game to win regularly at any level over time. That's just the way it is and we both know it.

I will say this - Chad Morris may have a high tempo philosophy, but he hasn't been as successful as he has been by ignoring defense and special teams. Tempo is not inconsistent with physical, fundamentally sound football.

And yet Petrino gave us our best scoring defenses in the last 10 years and left some really good players.  I'm always amazed at fans unwilling to give credit for success regardless of how it is achieved.  It also amazes me that fans still have to find ways to discredit a coach that won back to back 10 win seasons at Arkansas while over the last five years totally buying into a coach who never sniffed that level of success. 

It amazes me that they don't see their own duplicity.  I liked Petrino's offense better than I do the HUNH but I like the HUNH better than I did CBB's offense which I knew from the start wasn't going to operates successfully against SEC defenses with the talent level we recruit.  It's not that I disagree with Hogsanity about our recruiting abilities, what I disagree with is that there isn't anything we can do about it. 

What we can do is build an offense that beats the opposing defense.  That will alway give you a chance and maybe even a chance to build on that success.  I really don't know if CCM is the coach to do what we need but he is a lot closer to that than the previous coach. He is not going to suddenly field the a top ten defense however and that will bring out the critics aplenty.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 28, 2017, 08:37:35 am

It's not that I disagree with Hogsanity about our recruiting abilities, what I disagree with is that there isn't anything we can do about it. 

What we can do is build an offense that beats the opposing defense. 

What are we going to do about it? Let me guess, coach em up? That seems to be the mantra lately.

Offense is not, and has not been the problem. Defense is the problem. Hogs scored points with HDN as HC, with BP as HC, even with JLS as HC, and with BB as HC. But outside of two or 3 seasons, they can't get off the field at key moments, or at all. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on December 28, 2017, 09:03:29 am
What are we going to do about it? Let me guess, coach em up? That seems to be the mantra lately.

Offense is not, and has not been the problem. Defense is the problem. Hogs scored points with HDN as HC, with BP as HC, even with JLS as HC, and with BB as HC. But outside of two or 3 seasons, they can't get off the field at key moments, or at all.

We had three ten win seasons in the last ten and none of them with a defensive coach.  Again everything you put out is from the prospective that Arkansas fans expect a championship every year.  We need a coach that can coach up that's simply a start, maybe just maybe things start from there.  My problem with you is you don't believe there is any way Arkansas can get back to respectability because you don't believe we can recruit those defensive player we need to win.

Snout team

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 22, 2017, 08:01:39 am
Another thread that proves most of you only get football on a surface level.

The problem was neither Bielema's scheme or recruiting.

The problem was the dysfunctional marriage of Bielema and Enos.  We lost our identity and tried to force our bulldozer linemen to become ballet dancers.  This is the reason Pittman left, not some silly "he was mad because his friend was let go" drama cooked up on these boards.  Bielema's power running style worked just fine in the first couple of years.  It was only after Enos had been here long enough to have control of the O that things started falling apart.

Schematically, the only issue Bielema had was on D.  His desire to play "bend but don't break" only works in today's game with superior talent.  The teams who aren't Alabama who develop great D's tend to do so with an attacking, disruptive style.  He never seemed to understand that.

The poor mesh of power run with Enos' trickeration-spread concepts led to too many 3 and outs, led to terrible OLine play, led to too many hits on the QB's, and led to too much pressure on our undertalented (for the style) defense.

Pot meet Kettle.  If you really believe Pittman didn't leave at least in part because of Chaney, you understand relationships at less than a "surface level".  Everyone close to that situation knows scheme and recruiting may have been conflictual with Pittman and Beliema but the breaking point was the public embarrassment and removal of Chaney.  And yes, I know he wasn't fired but we all know the truth about that as well.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 28, 2017, 09:03:29 am

The offense has been pathetic

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 09:50:51 am

The offense has been pathetic

Yea failing to score in the 2nd half became a problem but I guess that was the defense's fault.

IronHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 28, 2017, 10:06:24 am
Yea failing to score in the 2nd half became a problem but I guess that was the defense's fault.

On hogville the defense is always at fault

Even vs teams like Mizzou that play no defense 20 points is more than enough 🙄

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2017, 10:50:41 am

On hogville the defense is always at fault

Even vs teams like Mizzou that play no defense 20 points is more than enough 🙄

Offense scored 40+ on mizzu and defense gave up more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog