Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McCurdy 1 Minute!!!!!!

Started by austinhogfan, January 21, 2006, 05:54:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

austinhogfan

Did he get hurt or something??  Did really only play ONE Minute????

cookie52

I think he came in and made a turnover, so Stan took him out.

DOGALUM

Could it be that Stan is trying to make some sort of statement to the fans that he'll play who he darn well pleases?

I don't know.....but if any coach would sit a kid just to make a point to the fans, he should be scratching his unemployed arse.

Not saying that's what Stan is doing.....just thinking out loud.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Kevin

he cannot play at the sec level
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on January 21, 2006, 06:13:57 pm

That would beg the question...........

So why did we give him a scholarship?

(BTW, I believe he can).

hogfankb

Auburn was doing a very good job putting pressure on the ball. Doubt Heath felt he was ready for it.

But then again were Ferguson/Jefferson?

nobballconcept

my ass he can't play in the SEC.  if would get more minutes, he would make don'tell sit on the end of the bench.  stan is making a statement.

TheSportsGuy

in the alabama game, if u know b-ball at all, u will see that the pressure and speed of the game hurt sean.  he had one pass telegraphed at the top of the key.  he had two other passes stolen in the backcourt because of full-court pressure.  he had to be taken out. (sean would know this too).  i think he can play at this level, but he needs some experience with the faster game before we can depend on him.  some of you make youselves look real dumb because u demand he get more minutes b/c he is energetic, can shoot sometimes, ect....  it is a process, and he is not ready for the load yet.  baby-steps people

hogfankb

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on January 21, 2006, 06:25:47 pm
in the alabama game, if u know b-ball at all, u will see that the pressure and speed of the game hurt sean. he had one pass telegraphed at the top of the key. he had two other passes stolen in the backcourt because of full-court pressure. he had to be taken out. (sean would know this too). i think he can play at this level, but he needs some experience with the faster game before we can depend on him. some of you make youselves look real dumb because u demand he get more minutes b/c he is energetic, can shoot sometimes, ect.... it is a process, and he is not ready for the load yet. baby-steps people

good observations all around

Razor6

agreed with the baby steps...

mcCurdy has made a turnover immediately in each game he has come in.   vs bama he made 2...

he is a great shooter, cutter, handler... but off the bench he is over zealous in his first couple of minutes.

way to go on the win today hogs!  we are proud!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

dirthog

how will hee ever adjust to the speed of the game if he gets no PT?
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

Tomhog™

Quote from: dirthog on January 21, 2006, 06:34:45 pm
how will hee ever adjust to the speed of the game if he gets no PT?
It's a catch-22 ain't it?  Heath can't afford giving him the PT right now, b/c he realizes his job is hanging in the balance with each win/loss...

hogfankb

Just got to hope Ervin/Ferguson/Jefferson are putting a lot of pressure on him during practice.

austinhogfan

Put him in a bit with jefferson or Ferguson to run the point and let him shoot some 3s.

hogfankb

Quote from: austinhogfan on January 21, 2006, 06:45:07 pm
Put him in a bit with jefferson or Ferguson to run the point and let him shoot some 3s.

heath did this beginning of the year against weeker opponents but it was usually brewer that ran the point when he was in. But it does seem like a good idea only against a team that doesn't trap/put as much pressure on the ball.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on January 21, 2006, 06:25:47 pm
in the alabama game, if u know b-ball at all, u will see that the pressure and speed of the game hurt sean.  he had one pass telegraphed at the top of the key.  he had two other passes stolen in the backcourt because of full-court pressure.  he had to be taken out. (sean would know this too).  i think he can play at this level, but he needs some experience with the faster game before we can depend on him.  some of you make youselves look real dumb because u demand he get more minutes b/c he is energetic, can shoot sometimes, ect....  it is a process, and he is not ready for the load yet.  baby-steps people

I agree 100%.  The guy has promise for sure, but he's not the cure-all for the basketball program, and he isn't necessarily the best player (yet) in certain situations.  The most important thing was getting the win, and we did that.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Shag66

McCurdy is a good player, but don't forget that he IS a FRESHMAN.  He'll get his minutes.  Dontell IS leading the SEC in assist.

hogfancb

Quote from: Shag66 on January 21, 2006, 07:01:35 pm
McCurdy is a good player, but don't forget that he IS a FRESHMAN. He'll get his minutes. Dontell IS leading the SEC in assist.

And fouling shooters on a three point shot too.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: cookie52 on January 21, 2006, 06:11:24 pm
I think he came in and made a turnover, so Stan took him out.

The coach is a moron and fire him NOW>:( He bring the most energy of any of our players to the floor.  So he had a turnover, big deal w e had twelve in the first half, so someone was TO the ball?

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: austinhogfan on January 21, 2006, 05:54:05 pm
Did he get hurt or something?? Did really only play ONE Minute????

HE IS NOT READY PEOPLE!

mountainhog

McCurdy will get better with experience , but you say how does he get experience? well practice for one , but the main thing is maturing , once he figures out he has to play with a littlle less urgency , he will be fine , most freshman make mistakes like this .  he will be a great pt. guard , just needs time.

SC Hogman

He should have played him more during the cupcake games!

silvertip

Quote from: austinhogfan on January 21, 2006, 05:54:05 pm
Did he get hurt or something?? Did really only play ONE Minute????

I was there today. It was not complicated at all. Dontell & Eric were playing solid. Eric & Pookie played the way they are supposed to, i.e. they weren't jacking up the cheap & easy 3s. McCurdy was put in to save Dontell from further foul trouble & Sean was not impressive when he was in there.   

Dontell had another solid game running the team. The only reason McCurdy got in the game was because Dontell got 2 fouls early. I was not at all happy to see Jefferson come back, with about 37 seconds left in the 1st half--- with 2 fouls. But maybe Stan was looking to score with his best clutch shooter.

Jefferson & Ferguson did a solid job running the point today. McCurdy did a decent, but not great, job of giving them a breather.   

austinhogfan

A one minute breather????   and no attempts.....you let a good shooter put a couple up to see if hes hot........one minute..no shots...no chance!!!

hog caller

the turn over wasn't mccurdy fault. it was Hills the pass was perfect hill just didn't go up after it. so if he took him out for that he needs to play closder attention to details of the game.

mbgrulz

i agree mccurdy is not SEC ready, but that is better than not being SEC capable which is what ferg and DJ are. i can promise that our record will not suffer because of our point guard play. not because a PG doesnt matter, but because ours has been non-existant. SM turns up the tempo when he gets in their. we just simply come alive, its not a coachable thing, just ya have it or ya dont. i get tired of all the "he's a freshman" crap. i can think of a team that is 17-1 with a freshman PG. once you get a few games under your belt, you adjust to the speed. it doenst take years to be able to function out there. time does help, but let the kid play. 1 minute just sux.

dukefan

January 21, 2006, 10:30:21 pm #26 Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:31:56 pm by dukefan
Ya'll act like he is a no brainer to play and he is not!  Everyone likes a little white point guard, but that dosen't mean he is worth a damn!

Golfer

Quote from: hog caller on January 21, 2006, 09:11:40 pm
the turn over wasn't mccurdy fault. it was Hills the pass was perfect hill just didn't go up after it. so if he took him out for that he needs to play closder attention to details of the game.

Did you see that or were you firguing that out all by yourself by listening???

pigfeet

I know this oppinion won't be popular, but I agree that McCurdy cannot play a full game at the SEC level. I don't think Jefferson should be running the point either. McCurdy's 2 turnovers in the Alabama game (in my oppinion) sparked their rally. So I somewhat agree.

pigfeet

I never said he doesn't desrve more playing time but I don't think he is ready to lead the hogs as the #1 point gaurd. I still think his PT will be short even next year with G. Ervin

pigfeet

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 12:12:04 am
Quote from: dukefan on January 21, 2006, 10:30:21 pm
Ya'll act like he is a no brainer to play and he is not!  Everyone likes a little white point guard, but that dosen't mean he is worth a damn!

YOU ARE A DUKE FAN GO AWAY YOU DONT BELONG HERE

What do YOU want to see from SMC

Ugly Uncle

1.  Maybe his two turnovers sparked that run by Alabama...give you that one.
2.  His play has sparked the few runs that we have had this year in almost every case.
3.  Even if those TO's started the comeback...Ole #4 finished their comeback all by himself.
4.  McCurdy is an SEC caliber player.  He and Brewer may be the only ones on this team that are. IMO.
Retired Radio Host

AUSTXHOG

Sean can definitely play in the SEC.  I haven't seen him play much..but if I'm thinking correctly, he's not affraid to attack the zone, which has been killing the Hogs.

pigfeet

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 12:17:43 am
1. Maybe his two turnovers sparked that run by Alabama...give you that one.
2. His play has sparked the few runs that we have had this year in almost every case.
3. Even if those TO's started the comeback...Ole #4 finished their comeback all by himself.
4. McCurdy is an SEC caliber player. He and Brewer may be the only ones on this team that are. IMO.

6 to 1....... Listen, the thing is, I agree with what you just posted, untill next year we'll be bitching about the point. DJ is not the answer and SMC just isn't ready either.

pigfeet

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on January 22, 2006, 12:18:09 am
Sean can definitely play in the SEC. I haven't seen him play much..but if I'm thinking correctly, he's not affraid to attack the zone, which has been killing the Hogs.

He has done a descent job while in there....But I'll tell you what, Eric Ferguson has dirupted/attacked the zone better than any player on the team.

Ugly Uncle

Ferguson is a TO waiting to happen.  I think he hurt us more against Bama and most other teams than he has helped us...especially against LSU.  But, at least he makes something happen...even if it is bad...he is either going to shoot a long three...drive the lane...or throw the ball out of bounds or to a 400 6'9 baby.  I would say it is 50/50 help vs. hurt us.
:'(
Retired Radio Host

CiriusPorker

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 12:28:57 am
Ferguson is a TO waiting to happen.  I think he hurt us more against Bama and most other teams than he has helped us...especially against LSU.  But, at least he makes something happen...even if it is bad...he is either going to shoot a long three...drive the lane...or throw the ball out of bounds or to a 400 6'9 baby.  I would say it is 50/50 help vs. hurt us.
ugly, you're just a few posts away from 1000...i hope you have something with more revelation for that one! ;)

j/k...

pigfeet

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 12:20:42 am
Sean can definitely play in the SEC. I haven't seen him play much..but if I'm thinking correctly, he's not affraid to attack the zone, which has been killing the Hogs.

He is the ONLY player on this team that can bring the ball down the court, be in control, run the offense, and be a LEADER to the other players.

Gosh Dang, You are a true SMC fan, DJ does a good job bringing the ball down, he's always in control, he deffinatly runs the offense, he's not a leader,shooter OR SMART in situations. I love SMC's energy, he is out of control sometimes b/c of his tenacity, but watch his teamates, he is not a leader. I like SMC, but I think you are a diehard SMC fan.

Ugly Uncle

I'm trying to plan my 1000 post as we speak.
Right now I am drawing a blank.
I do all of my best work after 2 a.m.

So, I will have to just read a while rather than post...and find something worth the K post.
Retired Radio Host

pigfeet

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 12:26:13 am
Quote from: pigfeet on January 22, 2006, 12:24:42 am

About Ferg attacking the zone?

He has done a descent job while in there....But I'll tell you what, Eric Ferguson has dirupted/attacked the zone better than any player on the team.

WRONG Pigfeet, if you consider ALL games.

pigfeet

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 12:28:57 am
Ferguson is a TO waiting to happen. I think he hurt us more against Bama and most other teams than he has helped us...especially against LSU. But, at least he makes something happen...even if it is bad...he is either going to shoot a long three...drive the lane...or throw the ball out of bounds or to a 400 6'9 baby. I would say it is 50/50 help vs. hurt us.

Thats what is so F up about these guys, what we all are saying is true about all of these guys. I wish Ronnie would run the point again and Ferg or SMC play the 2 some.

pigfeet

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 12:37:34 am
Quote from: pigfeet on January 22, 2006, 12:32:12 am
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 12:20:42 am

Maybe I'm dead wrong but it just seems that he gets too excited and reckless. Agree yto disagree.

He is the ONLY player on this team that can bring the ball down the court, be in control, run the offense, and be a LEADER to the other players.

Gosh Dang, You are a true SMC fan, DJ does a good job bringing the ball down, he's always in control, he deffinatly runs the offense, he's not a leader,shooter OR SMART in situations. I love SMC's energy, he is out of control sometimes b/c of his tenacity, but watch his teamates, he is not a leader. I like SMC, but I think you are a diehard SMC fan.

You are way off, bro. Not even close. I have watched most of the games this year on TV or internet and been to Bud Walton for 4 of them.

When Sean runs the offense, people move. He directs them. He calls the plays. Hell, one time I say Jefferson look over at McCurdy b/c he had forgotten the play. I like Jefferson. Go back and READ. (Read more Post less, btw). But he is NOT a PG. The only true QB on this team is McCurdy and he is wise byond his years and needs to be in there more NOW. Jefferson is NOT best utilized there as the Bama game PERFECTLY showed us.

bolo1010

McCurdy has the confidence that DJ needs...DJ is not a leader and a point gaurd is pretty much the leader of the team...McCurdy is a true freshman so of course he is gonna make mistakes but like you guys have said...when he gets on the court he knows what hes doing and hes not scared to do it...thats what a leader is all about

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: nobballconcept on January 21, 2006, 06:18:27 pm
my ass he can't play in the SEC. if would get more minutes, he would make don'tell sit on the end of the bench. stan is making a statement.
In his brief stint against Bama.2 TO's lead directly to 5 points.I have not seen what people see in him.

lespaulHog

HE IS WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lando Calrissian

Ronnie doesn't handle it well enough to run the point.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HogHeathen

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 21, 2006, 06:16:37 pm

That would beg the question...........

So why did we give him a scholarship?

(BTW, I believe he can).

I agree Wilson, and good point.    Look at the stats for the year and break them down.  You'll see that Mccurdy is the right one for the point.

Cure

McCurdy is a good PG..needs more PT...Dontell needs to be more aggressive...we've seen he can dunk..but its like he's holding back..He better pick his game up or he needs to be ridin the pine...McCurdy's skills will progress with more experience in the SEC ;D :razorback:
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

djgaffer

FYI...

Dontell Jefferson is leading the SEC in assists in conference play.  Not sure if it's been mentioned.

Zen_Hog

Stats don't mean much like that. I could get 8 assists a game too just passing it to brewer and down low all day.