Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 O-Line Depth Chart

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 08, 2018, 10:23:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

February 08, 2018, 10:23:22 am Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:41:26 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Now of course we have no idea where anyone is going to be playing after Fry's evaluation and restructuring, so most of this is just going by last year. Ideally I think you need 17-18 scholarship O-Linemen for developmental purposes over time and to provide excellent depth so that when the #1 comes out, there is little drop off in production when #2 comes in to take his place. I'm pretty certain that we are not at that place at this time, but that doesn't mean that we can't get there eventually.

Take a look at this list of names in these positions and feel free to jump in and speculate about "who" might play "where". Pay no attention to the posted weights. I feel certain that those are likely to change and some more than others. By the way, the 2 and 3 deep isn't necessarily in any particular projected order.

I think we will see Malone and Hays move back to the OL. Hopefully, I listed everyone.

LT                                       LG                                     C                                            RG                                      RT
     C. Jackson, Sr, 6-5, 298          H. Froholdt, Sr, 6-5, 311          D. Hays, R/So, 6-3, 298              J. Gibson, Sr, 6-4, 333          B. Wallace, Sr, 6-6, 337
     D. Wagner, R/Fr, 6-9, 311         D. Malone, Sr., 6-3, 304            T. Clary, So, 6-4, 290                J. Merrick, Jr, 6-4, 322         R. Winkel, Fr., 6-6, 286
     S. Clenin, R/Fr, 6-6, 300            T. Hall, R/So, 6-4, 296            J. Hannah, Sr, 6-2, 305             K. Adcock, R/Fr, 6-5, 288      S. Robinson, Fr, 6-4, 300
       N. Gatlin, Fr, 6-7, 300                                                                                                     A. Horn, R/Fr, 6-2, 329

Additionally, I might add that we have a lot of 1st team experience returning this season. If they can be coached and motivated to embrace this new offensive scheme and become more mobile through the Morris conditioning program, we might see a lot better production from them than we did last season. It is going to present them with better blocking angles and there isn't a single O-Lineman that doesn't love that.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Mark my words, before the offseason is over, we will hear about Austin Cantrell being tried at LT
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

Solid looking on paper but I want that mean streak to return !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 08, 2018, 11:28:44 am
Solid looking on paper but I want that mean streak to return !

After the way last season ended, would you be P.O.'d and generally have a case of the arse going into this season? I would. Bet they will too.
Go Hogs Go!

hamsam

I think the best OL on the team is wearing #41 and playing NG. JMO.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hamsam on February 08, 2018, 11:40:40 am

I think there will be some pretty extensive evaluation done over the next 60 days or so. I'm sure that if they feel like you do, the move will be made. They are going to have to get the two-deep line some action this season to prepare them for next year. 4 Seniors across the front with little experience behind them.
Go Hogs Go!

hamsam

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 11:46:11 am
I think there will be some pretty extensive evaluation done over the next 60 days or so. I'm sure that if they feel like you do, the move will be made. They are going to have to get the two-deep line some action this season to prepare them for next year. 4 Seniors across the front with little experience behind them.

I'm sure you're correct.

I have a request of you MHF, please respond often and NEVER change your avatar!!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

davehog

I agree 100% but the D Line depth has to be taken in to consideration to move #41 to offense.  I think that depends somewhat on where Agim ends up - DE or DT.  If Watts can be a competent 2nd team contributor at DT, then moving Capps to offense is easier. 

The starting DL could look like this:
DE - Agim
DT - J. Marshall
DT - B. Guidry
DE - M. Taylor

That's not a bad starting DL but not much depth behind that. If the Juco DE ends up committing, he's a starter from day 1 on campus. Also, Cantrell was mentioned previously about getting a shot at OT, but I think he'd make a nasty DE in the 4-3.

Also,

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: davehog on February 08, 2018, 12:17:14 pm
I agree 100% but the D Line depth has to be taken in to consideration to move #41 to offense.  I think that depends somewhat on where Agim ends up - DE or DT.  If Watts can be a competent 2nd team contributor at DT, then moving Capps to offense is easier. 

DE - Agim
DT - J. Marshall
DT - B. Guidry
DE - M. Taylor

That's not a bad starting DL but not much depth behind that. If the Juco DE ends up committing, he's a starter from day 1 on campus. Also, Cantrell was mentioned previously about getting a shot at OT, but I think he'd make a nasty DE in the 4-3.

Also,

Chavis has already said that Agim is going to be a DE.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

I guess if the new coaches want OL expertise they just need to look here.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogindasticks

DE - Agim
DT - J. Marshall
DT - B. Guidry
DE - M. Taylor

Also,

Ferrell should be starting.

SemperHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 08, 2018, 11:18:11 am
Mark my words, before the offseason is over, we will hear about Austin Cantrell being tried at LT
This actually wouldn't shock me either... He is the one player who has seen significant playing time so far that for whatever reason I have no idea where he fits in this new offense.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 08, 2018, 12:37:38 pm
Ferrell should be starting.

You can't be serious.. he played 3A football last year he is going too need some time to adjust .. he is never played against 1 lineman of SEC caliber . Much less 5 of them at once ... I'm sure he will develope and be a fine hog but too expect for him too come in and start as a freshman is being unfair too him and you..

redleg

I don't think Johnny Gibson starts. He's too big and slow. Morris wants strong and quick linemen.
Plus, there were a number of players at various positions that got in Bielema's doghouse and never got out. Bielema played favorites with certain players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jalen Merrick unseat Gibson at RG.

Froholdt has the skills to have a great senior season in this offense.

Wallace needs to drop weight as well. He's lost a step over the last two seasons because he bulked up to block in a pro-style offense...which became more of a spread offense that most of the linemen were not built for.

Colton Jackson should be worried, because if he doesn't work harder to get quicker, and get stronger in his hips, one of those redshirt freshmen is going to take the LT job away from him. My money is on Shane Clenin, or Dalton Wagner.

As for the center position, losing Rogers and Heinrich hurt. A couple of new players will need to be trained. Deion Malone is a senior and could provide some leadership if given a chance. I like Ty Clary here, too. And Silas Robinson, but he should redshirt.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

redleg

DE - Agim
DT - J. Marshall
DT - B. Guidry
DE - M. Taylor

Also,

DE - McTelvin Agim, All-SEC stud written all over him!
DT - Austin Capps, has the ability to be a true run stuffer.
DT - TJ Smith, He was already 6'3" and 290 last year, imagine what he could do at DT at 300-305 with his speed! 
DE - Jamario Bell, another player that was in Bielema's doghouse, managed to get out, then was injured. He may find a new beginning under Chavis' tutelage. He has the ability to be an SEc caliber pass rusher.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

rljjr

I thought Maleek Williams redshirted last year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rljjr on February 08, 2018, 02:06:32 pm
I thought Maleek Williams redshirted last year.

Check the thread on RB depth.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

By the way, with his demonstrated agility and mobility on film, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't convince Fulwider to make the change to the big dollar NFL position of LT on offense. I think he has a great future as a LT.
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

Biddy thinks TJ could easily drop some weigh and be another big time DE. Said he struggled to get to 290 and hold the weight.

We have tackles with Capps, Watts, Marshall and Guidry we just don't have much depth AT ALL!
I think your ends will be Agim, Smith, Bell, Taylor and maybe Richardson moves over from LB?? Ramsey needs to put on some weight unless he wants to be a 3rd down blitz type guy. Getting a guy like Gerald would surely help.

blu

Check with FOTH, but I'd bet Clenin will be one of the starting 5 on the OL.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: blu on February 08, 2018, 08:32:23 pm
Check with FOTH, but I'd bet Clenin will be one of the starting 5 on the OL.

We will see. I'd like to see his measurables after this off season of conditioning and weight lifting. I know that the past staff thought a lot of him and were wise enough to give him a R/S year to develop.
Go Hogs Go!

swineology

Might wanna plug Dorian Gerald in there somewhere MHF

WPS!

supersaint

Yep.  He reminds me of my old teammate and all SEC OT  Verl Mitchell.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 10:23:22 am
Now of course we have no idea where anyone is going to be playing after Fry's evaluation and restructuring, so most of this is just going by last year. Ideally I think you need 17-18 scholarship O-Linemen for developmental purposes over time and to provide excellent depth so that when the #1 comes out, there is little drop off in production when #2 comes in to take his place. I'm pretty certain that we are not at that place at this time, but that doesn't mean that we can't get there eventually.

Take a look at this list of names in these positions and feel free to jump in and speculate about "who" might play "where". Pay no attention to the posted weights. I feel certain that those are likely to change and some more than others. By the way, the 2 and 3 deep isn't necessarily in any particular projected order.

I think we will see Malone and Hays move back to the OL. Hopefully, I listed everyone.

LT                                       LG                                     C                                            RG                                      RT
     C. Jackson, Sr, 6-5, 298          H. Froholdt, Sr, 6-5, 311          D. Hays, R/So, 6-3, 298              J. Gibson, Sr, 6-4, 333          B. Wallace, Sr, 6-6, 337
     D. Wagner, R/Fr, 6-9, 311         D. Malone, Sr., 6-3, 304            T. Clary, So, 6-4, 290                J. Merrick, Jr, 6-4, 322         R. Winkel, Fr., 6-6, 286
     S. Clenin, R/Fr, 6-6, 300            T. Hall, R/So, 6-4, 296            J. Hannah, Sr, 6-2, 305             K. Adcock, R/Fr, 6-5, 288      S. Robinson, Fr, 6-4, 300
       N. Gatlin, Fr, 6-7, 300                                                                                                     A. Horn, R/Fr, 6-2, 329

Additionally, I might add that we have a lot of 1st team experience returning this season. If they can be coached and motivated to embrace this new offensive scheme and become more mobile through the Morris conditioning program, we might see a lot better production from them than we did last season. It is going to present them with better blocking angles and there isn't a single O-Lineman that doesn't love that.

Muskogee, this has been a problem for a while, but I've been using an android for quite some time.
Whenever yours or any other poster's makeshift "spreadsheet" is viewed by me, it becomes gibberish pretty quickly.

A fix?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HogFoo

Quote from: redleg on February 08, 2018, 01:55:41 pm
I don't think Johnny Gibson starts. He's too big and slow. Morris wants strong and quick linemen.
Plus, there were a number of players at various positions that got in Bielema's doghouse and never got out. Bielema played favorites with certain players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jalen Merrick unseat Gibson at RG.

Froholdt has the skills to have a great senior season in this offense.

Wallace needs to drop weight as well. He's lost a step over the last two seasons because he bulked up to block in a pro-style offense...which became more of a spread offense that most of the linemen were not built for.

Colton Jackson should be worried, because if he doesn't work harder to get quicker, and get stronger in his hips, one of those redshirt freshmen is going to take the LT job away from him. My money is on Shane Clenin, or Dalton Wagner.

As for the center position, losing Rogers and Heinrich hurt. A couple of new players will need to be trained. Deion Malone is a senior and could provide some leadership if given a chance. I like Ty Clary here, too. And Silas Robinson, but he should redshirt.
It wasnt Bielemas doghouse they got into, it was that turd Anderson's doghouse.  ive already said plenty of times what it was.  it was something petty.  anyways.  i think everyone is gonna drop quite a bit of weight. they need guys who can be quick and move and be able to play a whole game.  Bielema put too much weight on these guys and they were too way too slow because of it.  Let's see how they do when they get 'in shape'  i think were gona see  people saying and wondering why the OL was so bad the last couple years, i believe there will be that much improvement.  i havent seen if we will be running out of the shotgun or under center either.   i believe coach Fry is a helluva lot better coach than Anderson was.  So, i really look for the OL to make substantial improvement. we'll see tho.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 09:16:13 pm
It wasnt Bielemas doghouse they got into, it was that turd Anderson's doghouse.  ive already said plenty of times what it was.  it was something petty.  anyways.  i think everyone is gonna drop quite a bit of weight. they need guys who can be quick and move and be able to play a whole game.  Bielema put too much weight on these guys and they were too way too slow because of it.  Let's see how they do when they get 'in shape'  i think were gona see  people saying and wondering why the OL was so bad the last couple years, i believe there will be that much improvement.  i havent seen if we will be running out of the shotgun or under center either.   i believe coach Fry is a helluva lot better coach than Anderson was.  So, i really look for the OL to make substantial improvement. we'll see tho.

I swear man, next time I have one of my deep depressions, I'm contacting you.
;D
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2018, 08:56:24 pm
Muskogee, this has been a problem for a while, but I've been using an android for quite some time.
Whenever yours or any other poster's makeshift "spreadsheet" is viewed by me, it becomes gibberish pretty quickly.

A fix?

I don't do screen shots, but that usually fixes the problem. With a lot of folks going to i-pads and phones to view data, you are usually going to have problems viewing it when it is keyed directly in as I have this data. Now if you are on a desk top or a laptop, there shouldn't be a problem. I wish we had a way to copy and paste Excel spread sheets and the data just aligned as shown in the Excel format, but it just doesn't work that way, unfortunately. It would save a lot of work when you do.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 09:16:13 pm

I'll just say that Anderson has been thrown under the bus a lot on this site and while I wasn't a fan of his coaching, at least half of the problem deserved to be directed elsewhere within the staff. It is my understanding that at one point there was a confrontation and he had to put his foot down about who he (Anderson) wanted to start and where. Now you can take that for what it is, but the problem wasn't just Anderson and I can guarantee that is accurate.
Go Hogs Go!

PygmalionEffect2

Colton Jackson is a RS Junior this year.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteSolid looking on paper

Did you mean solid looking compared to paper?

The LT has been penciled the starter to open the last two seasons but his play has never allowed him to hold his job.  Devastating problems for an offense right there if he or someone behind him is not able to step up their game this year.

The two players penciled in at Center have a combined zero plays in college.  Not starts, zero as in I have never played a down of college football at center.

The RG is another player that has struggled at times but more so at tackle than guard so there is a chance he can improve his game to the point of being dependable.

RT  If Morris and staff can motivate Wallace, I think he has the potential to be solid, but he can't come into camp out of shape.  That would be disastrous.

LG - Good to go.

All these ifs and buts and it doesn't even consider the possibility of any of these guys getting injured, because no one ever gets injured in football.

Because on paper, all we are is paper thin in terms of proven experience.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 10:40:23 am
I don't do screen shots, but that usually fixes the problem. With a lot of folks going to i-pads and phones to view data, you are usually going to have problems viewing it when it is keyed directly in as I have this data. Now if you are on a desk top or a laptop, there shouldn't be a problem. I wish we had a way to copy and paste Excel spread sheets and the data just aligned as shown in the Excel format, but it just doesn't work that way, unfortunately. It would save a lot of work when you do.

Thanks for the response.
I'll simply have to live with it then.

I'm not trading my 1 year old, $450 tablet that's blazing fast......For my 6 y/o laptop....That surfs slower.

So Android
His response to me:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on February 10, 2018, 04:47:50 pm
Did you mean solid looking compared to paper?

The LT has been penciled the starter to open the last two seasons but his play has never allowed him to hold his job.  Devastating problems for an offense right there if he or someone behind him is not able to step up their game this year.

The two players penciled in at Center have a combined zero plays in college.  Not starts, zero as in I have never played a down of college football at center.

The RG is another player that has struggled at times but more so at tackle than guard so there is a chance he can improve his game to the point of being dependable.

RT  If Morris and staff can motivate Wallace, I think he has the potential to be solid, but he can't come into camp out of shape.  That would be disastrous.

LG - Good to go.

All these ifs and buts and it doesn't even consider the possibility of any of these guys getting injured, because no one ever gets injured in football.

Because on paper, all we are is paper thin in terms of proven experience.

You are correct, we are thin in terms of depth and some of the guys who Redshirted last year are going to have to step up and gain experience early in the year if that is to change. The only problem is that with a new offensive scheme, the 6 guys that we have returning that have had any playing time at all, share 76 career starts and 142 games of experience, but may need the first 3 games to get the timing down on the O-Line before we travel to Auburn on 9/22. Our depth will have to be developed and while it would be nice to have at least 5 step up as a back up at every position, I'd settle for 3 immediately who could perhaps play 2 positions each while everyone else is brought along.

It isn't a perfect situation from the standpoint of depth. We will see how quickly Fry can bring these kids along. I doubt he will be complaining if these kids have their feet 3-4 inches out of position at alignment like his predecessor.
Go Hogs Go!