Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

February 08, 2018, 09:30:18 am #350 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:52:48 am by McKdaddy
We have our annual "training camp" coming up March 2-4 in Fayetteville.  We call it a training camp, but in Tulsa we can pretty much ride year-round, so it's an excuse for guys to make a roadie for some fellowship and riding in hillier terrain than we get in Tulsa.  We stay at the Mt Sequoyah lodge in Fayetteville, and ride out from there.

We'll all ride Friday afternoon, Sat morning, and Sunday morning.  The stronger guys -- not me -- will ride again after lunch Saturday.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 08, 2018, 09:30:18 am
We have our annual "training camp" coming up March 2-4 in Fayetteville.  We call it a training camp, but in Tulsa we can pretty much ride year-round, so it's an excuse for guys to make a roadie for some fellowship and riding in hillier terrain than we get in Tulsa.  We stay at the Mt Sequoyah lodge in Fayetteville, and ride out from there.

We'll all ride Friday afternoon, Sat morning, and Sunday morning.  The stronger guys -- not me -- will ride again after lunch Saturday.

I ride year round too!  8)

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on February 08, 2018, 07:55:00 pm
I ride year round too!  8)

How do I use the "ignore" feature?
;)

HawgPilot

Selling my Parlee TT if anyone is interested.  I'm keeping my road bike but this needs to be ridden.  Asking $5000 if anyone is interested.

McKdaddy

I'm interested in replacing my 520 w/ the Element. But it appears there is no auto-sync/transfer of data to Garmin Connect (where I maintain all cycling/non-cycling workout data) from the Element or Wahoo's app, though there used to be.

I like to keep things relatively simple, like having auto-sync. Anyone have feedback on transferring data from rides w/ the Element to GC?

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 08, 2018, 08:41:38 pm
I'm interested in replacing my 520 w/ the Element. But it appears there is no auto-sync/transfer of data to Garmin Connect (where I maintain all cycling/non-cycling workout data) from the Element or Wahoo's app, though there used to be.

I like to keep things relatively simple, like having auto-sync. Anyone have feedback on transferring data from rides w/ the Element to GC?

Can you have it sync to Strava then have your Strava linked to GC?

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 09, 2018, 02:00:35 pm
Can you have it sync to Strava then have your Strava linked to GC?

That should work. But what data quality would I get on GC syncs from Strava? I ask b/c I consider GC to be my correct data. It is my hub for all workout data.

However, data sent to Strava tends to be 0.1 to 0.2 mph slower than what my Garmin device records (not always slower, but slower moreso than the same mph or higher...almost never higher mph). But Thursday night of last week took the cake....my Garmin 520 had me at 18.0, which when synced over as 17.6!!

Lord knows how much my data might get twisted around as it goes from the Element to Strava then to GC.

Thanks for the suggestion, HR.

hawgrunner

why not get a newer Garmin like the 800 series....
I love my Edge 800.

McKdaddy

April 10, 2018, 06:53:04 pm #358 Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:20:47 pm by McKdaddy
I liken Garmin to the early days of the iPhone....it was way ahead of everyone else for a few years, but recently the others are the ones innovating more and bringing new things to phones (generally speaking). I say that as one who likes each of the Garmin workout/gps watches I've owned (including my current one) and each cycling device. But over the last 2 years Garmin is now the one playing catch-up and I'm interested in exploring other brands.

I'm not for sure going to change brands, but others out there are doing more interesting things that Garmin has to copy.

McKdaddy

April 10, 2018, 06:57:17 pm #359 Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:11:06 pm by McKdaddy
The 520 isn't exactly old. The 500 was the oldest one of the 500 series (came out many moons ago), the 510 is also many years  old (but was considered innovative at the time due to it being touch-based). The 520 only came out 2 years ago and for reasons that escapes me is still considered amongst the best devices on the market.

McKdaddy

April 10, 2018, 07:00:49 pm #360 Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:12:58 pm by McKdaddy
As for updating to another Garmin, their cycling lineup looks like it is way overdue an overhaul. They've had the same or similer appearance & form-feel in the 500 & 800 series since the 510 came out. Garmin overhauled its watches last year, so I think the cycling devices should be on their radar. I don't want to commit to a new Garmin if a change is coming to catch-up w/ the competition.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 10, 2018, 07:00:49 pm
As for updating to another Garmin, their cycling lineup looks like it is way overdue an overhaul. They've had the same or similer appearance & form-feel in the 500 & 800 series since the 510 came out. Garmin overhauled its watches last year, so I think the cycling devices should be on their radar. I don't want to commit to a new Garmin if a change is coming to catch-up w/ the competition.

Good point...

check this out...(if you haven't already reviewed it)
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/07/best-bike-gps-2017-garmin-wahoo.html

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

Something I'd like Garmin to incorporate, that I like that other brands do, is to be able to change settings, screen fields, etc. via the app on the phone, rather than having to do so on the Garmin device.  When some buddies showed me last fall how their Lezyne and Wahoo could do that, I fell in love, and wondered why in the hell Garmin wasn't allowing us to do that.

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 19, 2018, 08:59:20 am
Something I'd like Garmin to incorporate, that I like that other brands do, is to be able to change settings, screen fields, etc. via the app on the phone, rather than having to do so on the Garmin device.  When some buddies showed me last fall how their Lezyne and Wahoo could do that, I fell in love, and wondered why in the hell Garmin wasn't allowing us to do that.

Also, I've been continually disappointed with the Garmin app and the online interface.  Another example where the 800# gorilla only has to give you what he wants to.

/rant

.......maybe

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 20, 2018, 06:37:40 am
Also, I've been continually disappointed with the Garmin app and the online interface.  Another example where the 800# gorilla only has to give you what he wants to.

/rant

.......maybe

on-line interface.... you talking about the website?
I don't use the app. so can't say much there,  8)

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 20, 2018, 03:41:55 pm
on-line interface.... you talking about the website?
I don't use the app. so can't say much there,  8)

Yes, the site. It could be so much better, particularly route-mapping, something Garmin should excel at. It's functional and I am able to map out our various club rides for club for the A-, B-, & C-groups, but Garmin should look at the things Map My Ride does well.

Do you really not use the Garmin app, HR? The first thing I do when I hit "save" on my device is to open the app to see the data that BT'd over, such as heart rate data & related graph, avg cadence, etc. But I'm a data nerd by trade. I've resisted thus far getting a PM b/c that data would REALLY consume my time.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 20, 2018, 05:31:37 pm
Yes, the site. It could be so much better, particularly route-mapping, something Garmin should excel at. It's functional and I am able to map out our various club rides for club for the A-, B-, & C-groups, but Garmin should look at the things Map My Ride does well.

Do you really not use the Garmin app, HR? The first thing I do when I hit "save" on my device is to open the app to see the data that BT'd over, such as heart rate data & related graph, avg cadence, etc. But I'm a data nerd by trade. I've resisted thus far getting a PM b/c that data would REALLY consume my time.

For my Edge 800 I've got all my data right there broken down into 7 pages
page 1 time, speed, distance, time of day,
page 2 Heart Rate, Cadence, Calories, Temp. & Grade.
page 3 avg. Cad, avg HR, avg. speed
page 4 speed, distance avg speed broken down by past mile
page 5 is my map/navigation page
page 6 shows my virtual partner data
page 7 Elevation data page

When mapping a route to upload to the Edge 800 via my usb cable I use "Ride with GPS"
https://ridewithgps.com/
I create my ride then export the file in TCX format.

McKdaddy

Makes sense

I've got only 6 pages of data on my device. I prefer to look at the data on the app or online after a ride where I can scroll across particular segments to look at my cadence or speed or HR, and I like to highlight certain parts of a ride to pull out data from it for comparison to a previous time riding that area. The device is good for "at a glance" after a ride, no doubt.

McKdaddy

April 21, 2018, 08:34:17 am #371 Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:56:08 am by McKdaddy
What is this usb cable you speak of?   ;)

I map from GC b/c my MB Pro can BT the created route to my 520. A lot of my buddies like Ride w/ GPS. Actually, most seem to use RwGPS.

McKdaddy

I need to be fair and praise Garmin for what they've done well. They were the earliest adopter of BT data and map transfers to and from the device, your phone app, computer, etc.. Spotty w/ the 510 (the debut device for BT functionality), but solid w/ those that followed.

McKdaddy

Any additional cyclists on Hogville??  HR, you and I should be mods for this forum, to of course moderate only ourselves, it seems.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 21, 2018, 08:34:17 am
What is this usb cable you speak of?   ;)

My EDGE800 isn't Bluetooth so upload via usb.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 21, 2018, 04:59:39 pm
My EDGE800 isn't Bluetooth so upload via usb.

I know, HR. I know. I thought my winky face gave it away.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 21, 2018, 10:31:10 pm
I know, HR. I know. I thought my winky face gave it away.

I was watching baseball today and lost focus!  :)

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 21, 2018, 10:46:19 pm
I was watching baseball today and lost focus!  :)

Go Padres!

McKdaddy

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 24, 2018, 08:31:08 am
Seems like a daily thing in the news, ugh.

I'm riding all the time close to cars and trucks but I think in San Diego people are more aware of us with all the riders and bike lanes.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on April 24, 2018, 01:27:28 pm
I'm riding all the time close to cars and trucks but I think in San Diego people are more aware of us with all the riders and bike lanes.

Agreed. I ride annually in CO on vacation. The locals are alert to cyclists, but when I get squeezed or buzzed closely there, it's always by an out of state plate.  >:(

hawgrunner

How many miles for Cassette, Chainring and Chain before replacement?

McKdaddy

Hmm, I'm not sure on the cass & chainring. My honest answer would be when my bike shop tells me it needs to be done b/c I don't know. I've owned my bike a bit over 4 years and am on my 3rd of each (the first replacement was to change out the gearing to gain another ring or 2 for climbing, and I did this after a year of ownership, thus the originals were still in good shape). The second change occurred early this spring b/c they were getting worn....so, maybe 3 years in this instance.

Same for the chain, as far as doing so when the shop says it is getting stretched.

#NoHelpAtAll

hawgrunner

I replaced my chain over the weekend and now getting that slippage when putting a load on the crank, but never replaced that cassette or chainring in 6 years and I put about 2k miles a year in.  :o

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 15, 2018, 09:58:37 am
never replaced that cassette or chainring in 6 years and I put about 2k miles a year in.  :o

6 years? Time's up, my friend, ha/ha.

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

As apart of National Bike to Work Week!
We had Bike to Work today here in San Diego, but tomorrow is the day for NWA area, great day to get out and ride.

https://www.bikenwa.org/

QuoteTo get you going on Bike to Work Day (5/18), we'll be set up at locations all along the Razorback Greenway from 7-9AM with free coffee & goodies:
Bentonville: Greenway at SE 3rd Street
Rogers: Greenway at Einstein Bros. Bagels
Springdale: Greenway at Phat Tire Bike Shop
Fayetteville: Greenway at Arsaga's at The Depot

McKdaddy

I realize this thread's seemingly only active participants are a guy from San Diego and from Tulsa (hello!), but I'll ask anyway......

Tulsa Tough is a week away (next Friday-Sunday, the 8-10th of June).  Anyone racing or planning on attending to watch the crits.  Anyone riding the fondos?

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 31, 2018, 01:47:13 pm
I realize this thread's seemingly only active participants are a guy from San Diego and from Tulsa (hello!), but I'll ask anyway......

Tulsa Tough is a week away (next Friday-Sunday, the 8-10th of June).  Anyone racing or planning on attending to watch the crits.  Anyone riding the fondos?

http://tulsatough.com/site/sections/1

That looks fun!

hawgrunner

Had a jacked-up chain link on the bike and replaced the section and used KMC's MissingLink to connect them...
anyone ever used KMC's products before?

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 15, 2018, 08:19:32 am
Had a jacked-up chain link on the bike and replaced the section and used KMC's MissingLink to connect them...
anyone ever used KMC's products before?

No experience w/ it, HR.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 15, 2018, 10:39:01 pm

No experience w/ it, HR.

Two short rides with them installed so far so good...

hawgrunner

TOUR DE FRANCE PREVIEW 2018

McKdaddy

Would like to Quintana fulfill some potential. Lot of potential alpha dogs on his team should he falter.

McKdaddy

Also, interested to follow the career of young Bernal on Sky. He impressed in Tour de Cali.

McKdaddy

Lastly, following a pro or 2-3 on strava is fun. Crazy seeing their stats.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 03, 2018, 12:54:51 pm
Lastly, following a pro or 2-3 on strava is fun. Crazy seeing their stats.

I've seen your pace as of late on strava...blowing my wheels off.  8)

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 03, 2018, 02:10:48 pm
I've seen your pace as of late on strava...blowing my wheels off.  8)

Thank you, HR. I'm happy to have gotten faster and am glad to be pushing myself. But I'm in between groups.....the b-group is a slower pace than I'd like and the a-group is awfully taxing to keep up with. With the a-group I'm bitching internally during the rides, spending way too much time in hr zones 4 & 5, and getting dropped as equally as I'm finishing w/ the group. It feels rewarding when I finish w/ the a-group, but also less fun b/c of how much I'm having to work.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 03, 2018, 05:16:05 pm
Thank you, HR. I'm happy to have gotten faster and am glad to be pushing myself. But I'm in between groups.....the b-group is a slower pace than I'd like and the a-group is awfully taxing to keep up with. With the a-group I'm bitching internally during the rides, spending way too much time in hr zones 4 & 5, and getting dropped as equally as I'm finishing w/ the group. It feels rewarding when I finish w/ the a-group, but also less fun b/c of how much I'm having to work.

I'm solo riding 75% of the time and the other 25% is with one other person and she' doesn't mine my slower pace.

Group rides do help push ya to the next level.