Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It won’t be Chavis

Started by theFlyingHog, December 31, 2017, 07:21:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

December 31, 2017, 10:13:57 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:37:13 pm by redeye
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 31, 2017, 09:34:46 pm
I wasn't a fan of hiring Chavis from the beginning but, one of our complaints as a fan base has been a lack of pressure applied on opposing QB's and I can tell you after checking it out, Chavis is your man if you want more pressure up front. While at A&M his defenses applied a lot of pressure up front in terms of forcing negative plays with 145, 150 and 132 in the last three years. The only other year that he has produced as many was his banner 2011 year at LSU when that defense forced 145 negative plays.

In his 3 years at A&M, their TOP averages out to 105th in the nation and I really think that was a lot of his problem.  Despite what people may think, Morris and Clemson have had much better TOP figures than A&M and I think this somewhat explains why Venables has done so well at Clemson.

A&M TOP under Chavis

2015 - 107th
2016 - 119th
2017 - 89th
AVG - 105th

Clemson TOP under Venables

2012 - 78th
2013 - 109th
2014 - 34th
2015 - 23rd
2016 - 51st
2017 - 27th
AVG - 53.6th

SMU TOP under Morris

2015 - 35th
2016 - 52nd
2017 - 78th
AVG - 55th

If this doesn't make sense to anyone, I'm saying that Chavis' defense spent most of the game on the field at A&M, which is the big worry when you have a HUNH or high-scoring offense.  Clemson is successful because they don't have this problem, and neither did Morris at SMU, likely because their offenses held onto the ball longer than A&M did under Sumlin.  If your offense keeps having 3 and outs, then your defense is on the field the entire game, so of course it's not going to have good numbers.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 31, 2017, 07:21:51 pm
Ran into an old friend at the bar a little while ago. Apparently he's in corporate up in NWA at one of the big companies. There's a lot of fight going on about Chavis. Huge push back from some of the money people. "Anybody else!" has been yelled multiple times.

Yep, wasn't going to be CCM either. Drunks in a bar isn't a good source. Other than for a joke or two.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: redeye on December 31, 2017, 10:13:57 pm
In his 3 years at A&M, their TOP averages out to 105th in the nation and I really think that was a lot of his problem.  Despite what people may think, Morris and Clemson have had much better TOP figures than A&M and I think this somewhat explains why Venables has done so well at Clemson.

A&M TOP under Chavis

2015 - 107th
2016 - 119th
2017 - 89th
AVG - 105th

2012 - 78th
2013 - 109th
2014 - 34th
2015 - 23rd
2016 - 51st
2017 - 27th
AVG - 53.6th

SMU TOP under Morris

2015 - 35th
2016 - 52nd
2017 - 78th
AVG - 55th

Good info. That says a lot about what Chavis was up against at A&M. I'll be interested to see what LSU and Tennessee TOP looked like in comparison. I think I know what the answer will be.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on December 31, 2017, 10:13:57 pm

A&M TOP under Chavis

2015 - 107th
2016 - 119th
2017 - 89th
AVG - 105th

2012 - 78th
2013 - 109th
2014 - 34th
2015 - 23rd
2016 - 51st
2017 - 27th
AVG - 53.6th

SMU TOP under Morris

2015 - 35th
2016 - 52nd
2017 - 78th
AVG - 55th

If this doesn't make sense to anyone, I'm saying that Chavis' defense spent most of the game on the field at A&M.

Chavis' defenses tend to be at their best when they are on the field 63 to 69 plays p/gm. Over 70 hasn't been good for Chavis.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 31, 2017, 10:17:57 pm
Good info. That says a lot about what Chavis was up against at A&M. I'll be interested to see what LSU and Tennessee TOP looked like in comparison. I think I know what the answer will be.

I'll figure them up real quick, but I'll note their TOP numbers should be better, due to their offenses.

Our TOP under Petrino averaged 67th in the nation, btw.

redeye

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 31, 2017, 10:17:57 pm

LSU TOP under Chavis

2009 - 108th
2010 - 53rd
2011 - 21st
2012 - 39th
2013 - 48th
2014 - 9th
AVG - 46th

Now I'm bored, so I won't do Tenner...  :P

carolinahogger

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 31, 2017, 10:07:39 pm
So let me get this straight. Some drunk loudmouth at a bar is our new inside source on Hogville? Seems legit.

He's in corporate at one of the big companies.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: redeye on December 31, 2017, 10:31:12 pm
LSU TOP under Chavis

2009 - 108th
2010 - 53rd
2011 - 21st
2012 - 39th
2013 - 48th
2014 - 9th
AVG - 46th

Now I'm bored, so I won't do Tenner...  :P

Lol. I think the point is made though.  Morris will run more tempo than what Chavis had to work with at LSU, but his emphasis on the run game will make it much more in line than Sumlin's offense. The fact Morris has worked with a great defensive coach makes it believable to me that he understands the bigger picture setting our defense up for success.

CFB_Fanatic

Thank God. Finally someone up there with some sense. Maybe they can pull it off

redeye

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 31, 2017, 10:40:02 pm
Lol. I think the point is made though.  Morris will run more tempo than what Chavis had to work with at LSU, but his emphasis on the run game will make it much more in line than Sumlin's offense. The fact Morris has worked with a great defensive coach makes it believable to me that he understands the bigger picture setting our defense up for success.

Yea, I think so.  I always wondered how Venables did so well at Clemson and I think this explains that, too.

Btw, SI is now reporting Chavis to Arkansas.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/31/arkansas-defensive-coordinator-john-chavis

Buff

The "money people" need to step the f... off and let the actual football coach do his job.

livevanguy

Ah the cycle of Hogville. Such and such Coach will be named, then the doubters, then the stat people defending the latest rumor, then the last minute barkeeper who knows a friend of said coach shuts down the rumor and the cycle begins yet again!

LOVE IT! Go hogs.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: livevanguy on December 31, 2017, 10:59:46 pm
Ah the cycle of Hogville. Such and such Coach will be named, then the doubters, then the stat people defending the latest rumor, then the last minute barkeeper who knows a friend of said coach shuts down the rumor and the cycle begins yet again!

LOVE IT! Go hogs.

Each member of the team has a role to play.

jgphillips3

I can only see money people objecting if the proposed contract terms were somehow obnoxious.  Assistants come and go.  It's not like hiring and firing a head coach. 

imtad16

I'm ready for all coaches to be named and get on to the installation of the new offense and defense. It's gonna be a must watch Red and White game. Ready to see the new looks on O and D.

imtad16

Quote from: Buff on December 31, 2017, 10:43:25 pm
The "money people" need to step the f... off and let the actual football coach do his job.

I wonder if the "suites" will let CCM go for it on 4th down or run fakes on special teams? He might have to run a completely scripted playbook that comes down from the corporate offices.

Dark Helmet Hog

No one is telling our new coach who or who not to hire. The OP's friend is FOS.

kennypig

I was thinking if CCM doesn't announce Chavis as his DC by Tuesday, it's going to be someone else.
Personally, I don't think Chavis is a 'high energy' coach. Plus he is 61 already and he hasn't been that great with teams that have had more talent than we have (although I think that is going to change). JMO.

imtad16

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on December 31, 2017, 11:27:36 pm
No one is telling our new coach who or who not to hire. The OP's friend is FOS.

I agree. The stories of mythological GOBN is pretty funny at this point.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: imtad16 on December 31, 2017, 11:29:38 pm

I agree. The stories of mythological GOBN is pretty funny at this point.

Well put.  +1

GoHogs1091

Chavis has really only had 2 good defenses during his career.

1998 Tennessee Defense
2011 LSU Defense

For someone who has such a reputation as being some sort of a defensive stalwart, he doesn't really have a lot to show for it.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 01, 2018, 12:09:43 am

1998 Tennessee Defense
2011 LSU Defense

For someone who has such a reputation as being some sort of a defensive stalwart, he doesn't really have a lot to show for it.

You're drunk. Go to bed.

Happy New Year!

Hawgphat

I'm really hoping that we end up with a young, sharp-minded, dynamic, up-and-coming young over-achiever.

hobhog

NWA corporate is ruining razorback program. Hope you are wrong.

PigPusher

A new twist on an old "source" gambit. For that matter I heard from an old girlfriend (sic) today. She works for the president at the university (sic). She told me it is all a big source. When you breath in an elevator with others in the cab a moment or before the air you are breathing was at least partially in someone else's lungs. Are they then a source. Yep believe so.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hobhog on January 01, 2018, 12:29:33 am
NWA corporate is ruining razorback program. Hope you are wrong.

He is.

Had many friends that worked in corporate offices and were bigwigs there.  All of them would talk to me about what was going around the office and what folks were saying.  NONE of them had ever actually talked to the boss man about it though.  You know, it was just some of the VP's talking and they said...

The WORSE place to have a source is high up in one of the big companies.  That is my opinion, and some of the other, more experienced media guys can tell you better.  The big guys talk to each other, they usually don't talk below them to their associates...not the real power brokers anyway.  The guys just under them...now they like to talk...but they don't have the actual muscle to do anything.  No offense.

Again, just my experience.
Retired Radio Host

LZH

I guess I need to calm down and accept it.

The last time I said that was when fat boy was hired. So I reserve the right to bitch, or praise him if he does well. My arse is covered.

You're welcome.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 01, 2018, 12:45:06 am
He is.

Had many friends that worked in corporate offices and were bigwigs there.  All of them would talk to me about what was going around the office and what folks were saying.  NONE of them had ever actually talked to the boss man about it though.  You know, it was just some of the VP's talking and they said...

The WORSE place to have a source is high up in one of the big companies.  That is my opinion, and some of the other, more experienced media guys can tell you better.  The big guys talk to each other, they usually don't talk below them to their associates...not the real power brokers anyway.  The guys just under them...now they like to talk...but they don't have the actual muscle to do anything.  No offense.

Again, just my experience.

Makes sense when you think about it.  They aren't where they are because they couldn't keep their mouths closed tightly.

Seems a lot of posters think these guys spend all their time sitting in some exclusive club drinking Bowmore 1957 Scotch, smoking Gurka The Black Dragon cigars, and scheming on how to run Razorback football.

colbs

1998 Tennessee Defense
2011 LSU Defense

Not true

azhog10

Would rather have Willie Robinson.

TDHawgs

That's weird because my source, the local Wal Mart greeter, just told me that it's down to Saban or Gruden for our Defensive Coordinator.

HawgTide

Quote from: King Kong on December 31, 2017, 09:43:43 pm
Wasn’t that long ago Kevin Steele was washed up. Giving up 70 points in a bowl game at Clemson. Now he is killing it at Auburn

This is Hogville. We ain't got time for no facts

Pork Twain

Hogville is like the Oprah show.  You have sources, you have sources, everyone has sources...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogBreath

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 31, 2017, 07:21:51 pm
Ran into an old friend at the bar a little while ago. Apparently he's in corporate up in NWA at one of the big companies. There's a lot of fight going on about Chavis. Huge push back from some of the money people. "Anybody else!" has been yelled multiple times.

Saw my old lover in the grocery store, snow was falling new year's eve, stole behind her in the frozen food and touched her on the sleeve. 

Anybody else she yelled multiple times.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rlamb

Hiring Chavis would be a big problem for Morris. Phat Phil Fullmer ran Chavis out of Knoxville
and then Chavis landed in talent laden LSU and the same at Texas A&M. If he couldn't have
World class defenses at those places he never would here. We'd still on the weak arm tackling
path of the last 20 years and have scores like 58=55 all the time.

We need a young bad as+ that breathes fire and pi**es vinegar and is mean like Wilson Mathews
Jim Mckenzie, and Monte Kiffin were! We've gone from a Top 10 yearly defense  in the 60's
& 70's to a joke of a Defense over the last 27 years. It all involves coaching, mean.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: rlamb on January 01, 2018, 04:01:56 am
Hiring Chavis would be a big problem for Morris. Phat Phil Fullmer ran Chavis out of Knoxville
and then Chavis landed in talent laden LSU and the same at Texas A&M. If he couldn't have
World class defenses at those places he never would here. We'd still on the weak arm tackling

We need a young bad as+ that breathes fire and pi**es vinegar and is mean like Wilson Mathews
Jim Mckenzie, and Monte Kiffin were! We've gone from a Top 10 yearly defense  in the 60's
& 70's to a joke of a Defense over the last 27 years. It all involves coaching, mean.

1. Fulmer and Chavis are close.
2. Fulmer was fired from Tennessee hence Chavis not staying. Phil didn't "run him out"
3. We don't need a world class defense just a lot better defense.

Hog N Bama

Looks like the distraction conspiracy away from the real hire, Venables, is working quite nicely👍😁

nightrider388

Word out of my bar is the past several years Houston Nutt has been the Big Red mascot and he will be the offensive and defensive half time motivational speaker. .

King Kong

January 01, 2018, 06:58:19 am #89 Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:43:57 am by King Kong
Quote from: rlamb on January 01, 2018, 04:01:56 am

Yeah, Fulmer didn't Fire Chavis and his last year the UT Defense was amazing. Great job showing you don't know what you are talking about

King Kong

Quote from: nightrider388 on January 01, 2018, 06:58:10 am
Word out of my bar us that the past several years Houston Nutt has been the Big Red mascot and he will be the offensive and defensive half time motivational speaker. .

I'm cool with Nutt giving speeches

nightrider388

We sure could have used some the past couple years

raZor71

It will be Chavis! Has been a done deal for several weeks!

nightrider388

Quote from: raZor71 on January 01, 2018, 07:02:16 am
It will be Chavis! Has been a done deal for several weeks!

Sports illustrated is reporting it too.

King Kong

1998 Tennessee Defense
2011 LSU Defense

You can't be serious. At LSU alone he finished in the top 12 4 out of 5 years. Yeah LSU had talent but they also had to replace multiple starters leaving early several of those years

Pork Twain

1998 Tennessee Defense
2011 LSU Defense

You can be forgiven for not knowing any better.

I think what you meant to say was he has only had really good defenses at two stops, Tenner and LSU and that what has happened at A&M is huge outlier.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 31, 2017, 10:34:17 pm
He's in corporate at one of the big companies.
He is the sporting goods, department manager at your local Wal-Mart.  Solid info

King Kong

Quote from: kennypig on December 31, 2017, 11:28:33 pm
I was thinking if CCM doesn't announce Chavis as his DC by Tuesday, it's going to be someone else.
Personally, I don't think Chavis is a 'high energy' coach. Plus he is 61 already and he hasn't been that great with teams that have had more talent than we have (although I think that is going to change). JMO.

Well he hasn't announced anyone on his staff yet and 4 coaches have been going for like a month.

For whatever reason Morris is taking his time publicly announcing coaches

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 31, 2017, 08:29:18 pm
Those comments are . . . well, just read them.

I doubt if any of those people are coaching experts.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWhacker

Quote from: HogBreath on January 01, 2018, 03:47:57 am
Saw my old lover in the grocery store, snow was falling new year's eve, stole behind her in the frozen food and touched her on the sleeve. 

Anybody else she yelled multiple times.

Ha!