Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hail To The Chief

Started by NuttinItUp, December 28, 2017, 10:56:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lao Tsuie

Solid hire for a beginning regime. Although CC may not be our long term guy (if there is such a thing) the experience he brings along with his knowledge of the SEC will not only help Coach Morris devote more time to the Offensive side of the ball, it will give us the best chance of getting our best players on defense and in the right places on the field.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 28, 2017, 12:01:20 pm
Chavis has draft picks to work with at every level: DL (Agim), LB (Scoota and maybe Greenlaw), and DB (Pulley).  There's also Ramirez along with Curl and Calloway and we'll see about Montaric Brown.   

Now, getting everybody else to go to the right place?   We shall see...

There are more 4 Star players on the Hog defense than some on here realize.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcards

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 28, 2017, 01:57:00 pm
I'm still not seeing any real evidence Chavis is the next DC. I'll wait for the official announcement.

+1000

Which is a good thing.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HogPharmer

Quote from: hobhog on December 28, 2017, 01:43:10 pm
Good grief. Hater can't wait to bring down the staff before one practice. 3 weeks in and this guy has decided to bitch all the way thru winter, spring, summer and will go completely ballistic in fall.

Funny how people hate on CCM because of his record, but disregard how good of a coach Chavis has been despite his record.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hogballisback

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 28, 2017, 02:02:38 pm
^^^^ what he said

Bo tweeted again today that it's not a rumor, but implied it is a fact. There are some on here that don't trust Bo's sources or Bo himself, but he is not making this up. It's Chavis right now, but I'm sure the situation is fluid. Let things play out.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

He's a legendary DC for sure... I'm just interested to see what he does when he doesn't have 4 & 5 star recruits all over the field.  Also, he's been at the highest level for 15 years, hope he still has the motivation.

In the SEC, if you have a high powered offense, all you need is a middle of the road defense (6-8) to be successful in this league.  Can't be a bottom dweller like we have been.

My initial guess - we're in for more of the same.  We shall see.

Dr. Starcs

Best dc in the country? 

Not even in Texas. Wool over eyes.

hoglady

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 28, 2017, 11:47:13 am
This is a huge upgrade over anything we’ve ever had at DC.

And that is the truth.
My LSU buddy was ragging on Chavis today and I said OK - name me one DC that Arkansas had in the last 2 decades as good as Chavis. He couldn't.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bennyl08

Quote from: CPO Hog on December 28, 2017, 11:34:01 am
FWIW I work with a hard core Ag who claims all kind of insider info. He's usually right with Ag stuff.
Anyway - he said Sumlin limited Chavis's execution in practice so the O could be successful. Perhaps  the old saying applied to the Ag D, "You play like you practice".

Any reason to believe Morris wouldn't do the same thing?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 28, 2017, 12:26:39 pm
Stupid question, anyone would come here with the 3.5 million budget we had leftover from gus's 7m offer. And he wasn't even worth that.

Grinch could have come here and gotten us a top 15 defense without 4 and five 5 star talent, he would have been perfect. Of course you want to eliminate him.
Pete Golding would have come.
Bud Foster would have too.
Insert name of any DC in the country.
TPTB done screwed this up. "Best DC in the country", yeah right, not even close.

Wow. One if the most uninformed and asinine responses that I have seen in a while. Impressive frst.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Al Boarland

Quote from: rljjr on December 28, 2017, 01:58:44 pm
This is such a false narrative and a self-licking ice cream cone. LSU sucked donkey balls for the better part of the modern era before Saban. Coaching turned them around.

The Aggies have never used their alleged recruiting prowess to prove anything -- ever.

If people give the guy (Chavis -- if it's him) some time and if CCM can start winning consistently we're going to turn the tide and win more and more recruiting battles.

Sorry, but I get tired of the old, cliche' narrative of "you can't better yourself so you just need to learn your place in the pecking order." History proves that's not true.

History also proves many have tried and failed.

seasonhog

Quote from: GuvHog on December 28, 2017, 02:14:22 pm

Yes, there was & is a lot of talent on this team........some don't realize just how bad the coaching has been......seems to be more to Bielema bad coaching then HV know.

kp72204

Once again, I don't care who is DC as long as there's improvement. That includes any poster on this website.

texas tush hog

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 28, 2017, 11:06:55 am
Well, that's the hope. The positive spin is that he's had awesome defenses, and the negative spin is they weren't very good at A&M. We shall see what he does here. I'm excited and think it's well worth the risk.

When you go to A&M you just become Aggies with two left feet. Not Chavis fault.

RazorPiggie

December 28, 2017, 07:31:16 pm #64 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:12:58 am by RazorPiggie
Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 28, 2017, 04:01:21 pm
Best dc in the country? 

Not even in Texas. Wool over eyes.

He was once the best DC in college football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on December 28, 2017, 02:14:22 pm

How many would you say that there are from the roster last spring that went into the season?

I've got 5. Between DE/DT and NT, there are 3. LB-0  Secondary-2

Is that really more than anyone would realize?
Go Hogs Go!

colbs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 28, 2017, 07:39:57 pm
How many would you say that there are from the roster last spring that went into the season?

I've got 5. Between DE/DT and NT, there are 3. LB-0  Secondary-2

Is that really more than anyone would realize?
Bijhon, Agim, Capps, Calloway, Montaric, and Guidry.

FATHAWG08

Why do all the haters come on her to complain? If you don't like what is happening at the UA go find another team. Hate kills the soul. Life's too short.
I love off season Football!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: colbs on December 28, 2017, 07:44:50 pm

When I put this together Capps was not a 4 star on 24/7. Looks like he got a bump since (or I had a typo last spring) I put this together so yes, you are right, 6.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 28, 2017, 07:30:32 pm

When you go to A&M you just become Aggies with two left feet. Not Chavis fault.

Ummmm. You must be forgetting our new head coach went to school there. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 28, 2017, 08:07:39 pm
When I put this together Capps was not a 4 star on 24/7. Looks like he got a bump since (or I had a typo last spring) I put this together so yes, you are right, 6.
6. and the other 5 guys are high 3 stars. that is as good as tennessee or aggy had.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 28, 2017, 08:11:33 pm
Slow down slick ;)  and read above.

They are still good links.

Pretty crazy seeing that we had the 22nd best team (talent wise) this past season.

Even more crazy that the 22nd best talent puts us at #9 in the SEC:

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=SEC

We underachieved regardless.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: colbs on December 28, 2017, 07:44:50 pm

Of that group, you only lose Bijhon, then add in proven Pulley, Scoota, Greenlaw plus some pretty serviceable and experienced guys like Curl, Ramirez and Ramsey. Oh, and how about somebody get their darn together and play Jamario Bell at DE so he can get drafted.

2018 Arkansas should not have an embarrassing defense.

factchecker

Here are the 4 star or higher players we return next season:

McTelvin Agim
Austin Capps
Briston Guidry
Chevin Calloway
Montaric Brown
Jamario Bell
ADD - Bumper Pool who signed during the early signing period

Hjalte Froholdt
Jalen Merrick
Jake Heinrich
Brian Wallace
Ty Storey
Devwah Whaley
T.J. Hammonds
Brandon Martin
Jeremy Patton
Cheyenne O'Grady
Will Gragg
ADD - Connor Noland who signed during the early signing period
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

elksnort

Why allow a thread to make a claim before it is official?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on December 28, 2017, 08:16:00 pm
They are still good links.

Pretty crazy seeing that we had the 22nd best team (talent wise) this past season.

Even more crazy that the 22nd best talent puts us at #9 in the SEC:

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=SEC

We underachieved regardless.

Ahhhh, yes, it is. Bielema underachieved and he knows it. In the previous 3 seasons to last season (as I have said many times) we should have won 9 or 10 each of those seasons and been far more competitive. Had we done that, we wouldn't be having this conversation now and Bielema would still be the HC. And I know that you know, just as I do, that is the truth. It would have changed the perspective of Bielema entirely. You just can't continue to blow games that you should have won. What is more, had we done that, it might have elevated our recruiting to an even greater degree...the team that is poised to make a move in the SEC West. But that just didn't happen and here we are, starting anew.
Go Hogs Go!

BOAR_N2BWILD

I am going to say that it is not Chavis. I think that even at face value the "best DC in college football" statement was probably just that- a general blanket statement.  Although I personally would be willing to give Chavis a shot, I think that CCM's statement about someone with energy and being able to go just like he does was not a blanket statement. I truly feel that was a requirement for the job and that does not describe Chavis.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

checkraiser88

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 28, 2017, 08:28:05 pm
I am going to say that it is not Chavis. I think that even at face value the "best DC in college football" statement was probably just that- a general blanket statement.  Although I personally would be willing to give Chavis a shot, I think that CCM's statement about someone with energy and being able to go just like he does was not a blanket statement. I truly feel that was a requirement for the job and that does not describe Chavis.

Yet the scheme of the defense that Morris described he wants fits Chavis perfectly, its Chavis bro

Beardog

Why don't we worry about the S&C coach leaning up the players and getting their speed back. Some of these "NFL" talent players need athleticism they used to have before getting heavier.

HogCzar1

Quote from: elksnort on December 28, 2017, 08:25:53 pm
Why allow a thread to make a claim before it is official?

I was interested to ask if this is official? I haven't seen anything from UA?

ricepig

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 28, 2017, 08:34:57 pm
I was interested to ask if this is official? I haven't seen anything from UA?

Nothing will be official until Saturday, if it's Chavis, he's still employed by aTm.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 28, 2017, 06:09:57 pm
Any reason to believe Morris wouldn't do the same thing?

He's not an idiot?
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Bash

Quote from: CPO Hog on December 28, 2017, 11:34:01 am
Anyway - he said Sumlin limited Chavis's execution in practice so the O could be successful.

Never heard of a coach [CBP] doing that before.  8)
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

hawginbigd1

Bash

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 28, 2017, 12:30:14 pm
They didn't have to. A 13-22 coach comes cheap.

You must be pre-law.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 28, 2017, 11:02:57 am
Morris Claiborne, Honey Badger and Eric Reid going to come play for the Hogs?
If you look hard enough, you can see through any silver lining and find the darkest cloud.  Such is Hogville
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LawyerHog50

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 28, 2017, 03:32:08 pm
Funny how people hate on CCM because of his record, but disregard how good of a coach Chavis has been despite his record.

No one is saying he isn't good. Just not the best DC in the nation. With a 3.5 million budget we should have done better.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Bash

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on December 28, 2017, 06:31:00 pm
Wow. One if the most uninformed and asinine responses that I have seen in a while.

Maybe.  But have you seen my posts?  They tend to be uninformed and asinine too.

ricepig

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 28, 2017, 09:33:59 pm
No one is saying he isn't good. Just not the best DC in the nation. With a 3.5 million budget we should have done better.

We don't have a $3.5m budget for DC. We'll be lucky to have a $4.5m budget for 10 assistant coaches. We have $20m+ in buyouts to pay, and the money for Gus, left when he didn't come, or part of it.

Bash

December 28, 2017, 09:37:53 pm #91 Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:04:52 pm by Bash
No one is saying he isn't good. Just not the best DC in the nation.

You take "best DC in the nation" literally and not coach speak?  You must be pre-law. Or a new JD grad still looking for work <insert drumroll emoticon here that I can't find from the the line of emoticon choices offered me above the text box while typing this post, but it would sound and look like the duh duh chi drum sound or some some such thing with a little smiley face with drum sticks and a cymbal and a drum and everyone would laugh really hard when they saw it and then I'd get a +1.>  ;D

LZH

Quote from: Bash on December 28, 2017, 09:34:45 pm
Maybe.  But have you seen my posts?  They tend to be uninformed and asinine too.

Welcome to the club, buddy.

LawyerHog50

Quote from: hobhog on December 28, 2017, 01:43:10 pm
Good grief. Hater can't wait to bring down the staff before one practice. 3 weeks in and this guy has decided to bitch all the way thru winter, spring, summer and will go completely ballistic in fall.

And this is just year one. Get ready to rinse wash and repeat. The PTB gave this guy a 5 year contract and it's gonna be expensive to remove him.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

PonderinHog

Science Fiction Greg

LOL
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 28, 2017, 09:41:45 pm
Mouthbreather or numbskull ???

Either, I have lifetime memberships at both.

LawyerHog50

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 28, 2017, 09:46:06 pm
LOL

We offered Gus 7mil. So that's our budget.

Chad makes half of that budget. He's 13-22 so he is cheap.

The best DC in the nation should get the other half of the budget. That'd be a recipe for a NC.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 28, 2017, 09:50:04 pm
We offered Gus 7mil. So that's our budget.

You really don't understand a single thing do you?

That money was gathered up from many people.  Specifically for Gus.  When Gus withdrew, so did that money.  Our budget is nowhere near 7 million.  I'm really not sure how you don't know this.

But then again, I think something similar literally every time I see one of your posts.