Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People forget that...

Started by Busta_Nutt, November 07, 2017, 02:39:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Busta_Nutt

Frank Beamer never won more than 6 games in his first six seasons at VT, including 4 losing seasons, before turning that program into a national power. I know we're quick to blame CBB, but should we simply chalk this season up as an inexperienced team riddled with injuries?

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jst01

cjack

Woooo Pig Soooie!

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

phadedhawg

hehawg

#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

The Hawg Marshal

So we should hire Frank Beamer then?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 07, 2017, 03:04:31 pm
Did he ever go 3-9?

Yes, he actually went 2-9, 3-8, and 2-8-1 in three of those losing seasons.

hawganatic

We sucked before the injuries, and he's had five years to build this team, so the inexperience is because he's underrecruited and undercoached.

Nice try though.  Must be a millenial.  Nothing is ever anybody's fault...

apcapri

We didn't forget. We just don't care what Beamer did. It's not relevant to our program.

jst01

What's more likely?  That BB is like Beamer and is about to 'break out' OR he is just not a very good coach here and has shown it? 

RME

Quote from: hawganatic on November 07, 2017, 03:07:33 pm
We sucked before the injuries, and he's had five years to build this team, so the inexperience is because he's underrecruited and undercoached.

Nice try though.  Must be a millenial.  Nothing is ever anybody's fault...

Beamer went 2-8-1 in year 6.

It was smooth sailing for VT after that.

ONE! MORE! YEAR!

robmc1883

Beamer was also replacing a coach with NCAA violations that limited his scholarships the first 3-4 years. Not a fair comparison.

3dawghawg

I see CBB is posting under several different names because no one in their right mind could think we need to keep going as is

razorcash2

Does Beamer were flip-flops and party like a frat boy?

Two different animals.

Matt Burks

Quote from: robmc1883 on November 07, 2017, 03:09:36 pm
Beamer was also replacing a coach with NCAA violations that limited his scholarships the first 3-4 years. Not a fair comparison.
This

KennyForAD

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 07, 2017, 02:48:05 pm
Gotta be hired guns.

They are all over the place today.   Long is feeling the heat.

KennyForAD

Its like watching CNN.  They don't even care anymore how ridiculous their crap is.

KennyForAD

Quote from: 3dawghawg on November 07, 2017, 03:14:30 pm
I see CBB is posting under several different names because no one in their right mind could think we need to keep going as is

Its not BB. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 07, 2017, 02:39:46 pm
Frank Beamer never won more than 6 games in his first six seasons at VT, including 4 losing seasons, before turning that program into a national power. I know we're quick to blame CBB, but should we simply chalk this season up as an inexperienced team riddled with injuries?

Frank did not have the history at that program to build off off like Brent has. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rusvegashog

We absolutely should, but the entitlement of "fans" & and irrationality of who, what and where we are is delusional and predictable. They wanted HDN gone, they wanted Malzahn gone, they wanted Petrino gone, they want CBB gone and they'll want the next coach gone as well.

hawgfan4life

I used that same argument too until this year.  I do believe that BB is a decent coach and is doing some great things in certain areas.  I also see that the wheels are off right now with no clear leadership being displayed to demonstrate that corrections are being made.  If he had fired the OL coach at anytime during this season, I would have gotten on board for give it one more year.  The fact that it didn't happen after last season when it was obvious and didn't happen this season when it was more obvious is a red flag.  The fact that we can't seem to figure out how to play our best athletes at least in plays and sets to get them on the field is another red flag.  We played Dominic Reed a handful of plays every game but never threw deep to him.  We would then launch a rare deep ball to a short, slower, less athletic WR.  It was clear last year that a certain RB on our team now had big play potential.  He would go games with few reps and no touches.  The same was repeated this year until the last two games, but he is STILL getting minimal touches.  There are personnel decision red flags.  I could go on.  In short, too many red flags for me to say give it more time.  It is year five and there is not one position or phase of the game that fans can point to and say BB has that position, group, or phase of the game on solid footing.  That is worth repeating:

It is year five and there is not one position or phase of the game that fans can point to and say BB has that position, group, or phase of the game on solid footing.

jkstock04

I didn't forget it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

whatsshakinbacon

Mr Jade

I'm glad to see that there are still Beleimers around, much to many's chagrin and complete insouciance that there are.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

HeathWimp

"Busta-Nutt?"  Props for the name at least.  Lol
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jst01 on November 07, 2017, 03:09:00 pm
What's more likely?  That BB is like Beamer and is about to 'break out' OR he is just not a very good coach here and has shown it? 

That's what this whole thread is, just one big game of "Let's Make A Deal"...  Only worse, because we're holding onto a box of rotten bananas believing there may possibly be something worse behind curtain #1; and who know's, maybe these bananas can be turned into some hooch? Insanity.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hoginsavga

Frank Broyles turned the Razorbacks around in six as well, six games. Bobby Petrino one season. Two seasons if you consider 8-5 unacceptable.

Danimal

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 07, 2017, 06:09:15 pm
Ahhh, I thought that was actually FOX UN-NEWS!
Both are full o' crap..

KennyForAD

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 07, 2017, 03:34:00 pm
We absolutely should, but the entitlement of "fans" & and irrationality of who, what and where we are is delusional and predictable. They wanted HDN gone, they wanted Malzahn gone, they wanted Petrino gone, they want CBB gone and they'll want the next coach gone as well.

Really?

KennyForAD

Quote from: HeathWimp on November 07, 2017, 06:15:06 pm
"Busta-Nutt?"  Props for the name at least.  Lol

+1 for gettin it.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 07, 2017, 03:23:40 pm
Frank did not have the history at that program to build off off like Brent has. 

Why you bringing Venables into this?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Inhogswetrust

I think you need to Busta_Nutt out of here..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KennyForAD

pigz

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 07, 2017, 03:35:12 pm
It is year five and there is not one position or phase of the game that fans can point to and say BB has that position, group, or phase of the game on solid footing.

You guys have a good time frig dancing

From Tusk Till Dawn

If we are having serious discussion, take a look at Dan Mullens record, most think he is a solid coach but certainly had his ups and downs throough his first several years. 

Hogarusa

Different sports world than 1987-1990. 24/7 coverage
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

KennyForAD

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 07, 2017, 07:45:20 pm
If we are having serious discussion, take a look at Dan Mullens record, most think he is a solid coach but certainly had his ups and downs throough his first several years. 

This is kind of the opposite of that though isn't it?   Our guy drove a bus with Barry Alvarez beside him telling him where to go.  He has proven, as plainly as imaginable, since then, that he is the worst coach in freaking history, no?  I mean, its kinda hard to argue he isn't, right?   The ABSOLUTE WORST line in all of football for two years straight from a guy who emphasizes the line... just for starters.

davglo35

Frank Beamer was probably the best college special teams coach there ever has been. He believed solid special teams were very important for success. Brett not so much.

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 07, 2017, 07:50:54 pm
This is kind of the opposite of that though isn't it?   Our guy drove a bus with Barry Alvarez beside him telling him where to go.  He has proven, as plainly as imaginable, since then, that he is the worst coach in freaking history, no?  I mean, its kinda hard to argue he isn't, right?   The ABSOLUTE WORST line in all of football for two years straight from a guy who emphasizes the line... just for starters.

I'm not sure we will agree on most of your points.  As for the primary topic though, my point was that Mullen had a breakout year after his fifth year.  Im not trying to change anybody's mind, but set the anger aside for a moment.  There could literally be 4-5 openings in the SEC West next year.  Our schedule could set up nicely for a big year.

31to6

He also took over a program that had, basically, no tradition of winning at any high level. They had been to a grand total of 6 bowls in program history, with only 1 bowl win.

KennyForAD

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 07, 2017, 08:02:26 pm
I'm not sure we will agree on most of your points.  As for the primary topic though, my point was that Mullen had a breakout year after his fifth year.  Im not trying to change anybody's mind, but set the anger aside for a moment.  There could literally be 4-5 openings in the SEC West next year.  Our schedule could set up nicely for a big year.

Are you saying that you think that there is a chance that BB can actually coach football and we should see what happens next year?   I've been drinking Absynthe since Monday.  Surely I'm hallucinating.   I'm not sure whether I want you to tell me that you are serious, or joking.  If you aren't a fantasy, look up offensive line stats, then get back to me.  I'm not certain of much in this world, but I'm as sure as it gets that BB has no idea how to coach football, and I'm almost as sure that there isn't anyone who follows football who doesn't see that.

jabberjawls

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 07, 2017, 08:02:26 pm
Are you serious?  CBB had 5 YEARS!! The product on the field is AWFUL and has been awful.  Nothing will change by giving another year.   The only way the RAZORBACKS are going to get better is with a NEW coach.

Seebs

I went to college with Frank Beamer. We were in congress together. I knew Frank Beamer. Bret Bielemia is no Frank Beamer.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hoggie17

Beamer made progress each of his first 6 years.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Seebs on November 07, 2017, 08:23:41 pm
I went to college with Frank Beamer. We were in congress together. I knew Frank Beamer. Bret Bielemia is no Frank Beamer.

Reported to Dan Quayle and Lloyd Bentsen  >:(