Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TX Coaching Search

Started by trashcan maN, December 06, 2013, 09:50:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

Hearing from TX side that they are looking to announce new coach on Dec. 13. Mack Brown will coach Bowl game in exchange for him stepping down and retiring peacefully.

Assistants have known about hire for some time and have been asked to keep quiet until Mack can announce his retirement. It sounds like Mack is really concerned with his legacy and wants to go out with grace. Respectable.

If TX gets Saban, which I personally think they have a great shot at, what recruits might we snatch from Alabama? Alot of kids go to that school to play for a legendary coach. Nearly all of their commits could play anywhere they wanted to, so I expect to see a higher than normal fallout if Coach Saban leaves.

Razorfox

Since most of Bama's recruits aren't from Alabama, you'd have to figure that Saban will try to take as many of them with him as possible.  We know he's handpicking exactly who he wants from across the nation so him moving probably won't change his targets much at all. 

go hogues

I'll believe it when I see it.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

trashcan maN

Quote from: Razorfox on December 06, 2013, 09:51:50 am
Since most of Bama's recruits aren't from Alabama, you'd have to figure that Saban will try to take as many of them with him as possible.  We know he's handpicking exactly who he wants from across the nation so him moving probably won't change his targets much at all.
Possibly. TX has around 21 commits right now, and usually new HCs will honor most schollies already offered at the new school.

tophawg19

i'd think you'd have a better chance with the texas recruits leaving
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TMc

idochog

With Saban losing and the pending freak out mode Bama fans will be in and his age.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Saban take on a new challenge or retire soon
I love Jesus!

trashcan maN

Quote from: go hogues on December 06, 2013, 09:52:46 am
Im with you, man. From the beginning I've thought that there is no way in hell, but I've changed my mind over time.

-Just lost to in-state rival. Fans are more obnoxious and ungrateful than ever.
-Wife openly hates Tuscaloosa
-Losing QB. Will struggle to compete for Natty next year with a first year starter who didn't look great in limited reps this year.
-Austin is a booming, cosmopolitan city. Tuscaloosa is the beating heart of redneckville.
-UT pays more

If it's ever going to happen, it's going to be this year.

hobhog

Quote from: go hogues on December 06, 2013, 09:52:46 am

Agree. If assistants knew it, it would leak. Wives talk. Beer talks.

trashcan maN

Quote from: hobhog on December 06, 2013, 10:01:11 am
Agree. If assistants knew it, it would leak. Wives talk. Beer talks.
Assistants have been notified so they could start looking for new opportunities. They may not know who the new coach is. I was unclear on that part.

Either way, professional men who make 6/7 figure salaries don't often blab confidential information over beers when asked to be discrete by their boss.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorfox on December 06, 2013, 09:51:50 am

All depends. Most incoming coaches agree to keep committments to a current incoming class and Texas already has 22 at this point. Doesn't leave a lot of room for "flips" if Saban did go to Texas and agreed to honor current offers.

Next year might be an entirely different deal, but this year (if he went to Texas) he might be stuck with the current recruiting class.

Does that mean that Frazier flips back to Arkansas, or goes somewhere else? Probably would have a lot to do with who is named HC at Alabama if that occurs. Personally, I think Saban is already gone to Texas and it just hasn't been announced, but we will see.
Go Hogs Go!

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 09:59:36 am
Im with you, man. From the beginning I've thought that there is no way in hell, but I've changed my mind over time.

-Just lost to in-state rival. Fans are more obnoxious and ungrateful than ever.
-Losing QB. Will struggle to compete for Natty next year with a first year starter who didn't look great in limited reps this year.
-Austin is a booming, cosmopolitan city. Tuscaloosa is the beating heart of redneckville.
-UT pays more

If it's ever going to happen, it's going to be this year.

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^  I think Saban is getting fed up with the fan base at 'Bama.  It will be interesting to see what happens if Brown does leave.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Tusks

Does Saben have any kind of past relationship with the new TX AD?

Didn't they hire Luck's dad?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

trashcan maN

Quote from: tusked on December 06, 2013, 10:07:03 am
Does Saben have any kind of past relationship with the new TX AD?

Didn't they hire Luck's dad?
They hired AZ St. AD - Steve Patterson

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on December 06, 2013, 10:04:38 am
^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^  I think Saban is getting fed up with the fan base at 'Bama.  It will be interesting to see what happens if Brown does leave.

Just my opinion, but the only reason that Saban leaves Alabama is for the chance (at his age and this stage of his career) to build and win another NC at a third school. No other Div I HC has ever done this and this move would not be about money, though he would be paid a boatload to make the move, it would be about his legacy in the history of college football. I think he would like to cement himself as potentially beng viewed as the greatest college football coach in history and if he can pull this off, who could argue that? That's why I think it is already a done deal and just hasn't been announced yet.
Go Hogs Go!

trashcan maN

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on December 06, 2013, 10:09:52 am
If this happens (Saban leaving), does Smart go with him or take over?
Good question. I've heard chirpings of Smart staying to keep continuity and keep the wheels rolling, but I don't remember who said it which means it probably wasn't very reliable.

trashcan maN

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 06, 2013, 10:10:41 am
the only reason that Saban leaves Alabama is...

You underestimate the persuasive powers of a woman, sir. ;)

Calling All Hogs

Hopefully they find a new Shula.

hogcard1964

Texas will go young.  Watch Pat Fitzgerald.

trashcan maN

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 06, 2013, 10:12:08 am
Texas will go young.  Watch Pat Fitzgerald.
Good call, but he's NW alum isn't he? It's always hard to get those guys. Same with Shaw.

Tusks

That's going to be the key IMO.  How much control for Saben, what kind of power does have.  Is this ASU guy an idiot or does he nave it together.

I mean since this AD hire just happened I wonder if it was made by the TX BOT or by Saben.  If you're going after Saben and you're hiring an AD, do you ask Saben if he will work for X AD?

Maybe that's why JL was punted?  JL's name was floated by Saben and he said 'no way'.

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 10:09:14 am
They hired AZ St. Can't remember his name.

Edit: Steve Patterson

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 10:11:53 am
You underestimate the persuasive powers of a woman, sir. ;)

Maybe, but you left out the most important part.
Go Hogs Go!

hoghiker

Following Saban at Bama would be hard to turn down and almost a safe bet a losing move.

trashcan maN

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 06, 2013, 10:13:29 am
Maybe, but you left out the most important part.
I definitely think legacy plays a big factor, but a nagging wife can get almost anything if she really wants it. hah!

Dirty

The statues in Tuscaloosa would be torn down if he goes!  Harvey strikes again.

Boston RedHogs

I just don't see Saban going to Texas.  His, or his wife's, voiced discontent with Alabama being spoiled, unappreciative fans, in a fishbowl environment would be exactly what he'd get in Austin if he had the same success there.  That said, he'd have to build that success at Texas.  While I don't think it would take long, it would take more work than staying at Bama.

I think Sexton gets Saban a nice pay raise out of this, but I just don't see Saban up and moving to Austin.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Dirty on December 06, 2013, 10:14:53 am
The statues in Tuscaloosa would be torn down if he goes!  Harvey strikes again.
Roll Damn Tide!  YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW

trashcan maN

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on December 06, 2013, 10:15:36 am
His, or his wife's, voiced discontent with Alabama being spoiled, unappreciative fans, in a fishbowl environment would be exactly what he'd get in Austin if he had the same success there.
You may be right about not moving, but UT fans are much more dispersed, less vocal and more civilized. He would have a bit more oversight from the BOT than he's used to, but less Gomer Pyle's coming up to him in Applebees asking for him to jump in a family photo.

Dirty

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 10:17:49 am
You may be right about not moving, but UT fans are much more dispersed, less vocal and more civilized. He would have a bit more oversight from the BOT than he's used to, but less Gomer Pyle's coming up to him in Applebees asking for him to jump in a family photo.

Gomer Pyle.....LOL!  +1

Tusks

The wife said on radio that she feels 'under appreciated'.  I think that was BEFORE the iron bowl.

That's kind of a strong statement, to me.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on December 06, 2013, 10:04:38 am

I will be surprised but it will be the Christmas present ever if he leaves and not because we have to play Alabama every year but because my wife's family is in Alabama and every time I visit they become exceedingly more obnoxious every year.

Tusks

what is Saben's record against the hogs, isn't he like 9-2 overall?

Dirty

trashcan maN

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 10:25:00 am
Johnny Walker Red and Black?

You really need to get out more if you think Alabama's fan base is worse than Texas'.
How many times have TX fans made national news by poisoning trees or killing people over football? Every fan base has ridiculous people, but the concentration of craziness is totally different in the two states.

In TX, the goons usually live further away from the university. The cost of living in Austin is extremely high.

TX fans are actually known to be docile and feel entitled to win. Alot different feel at ballgames in Austin than most SEC environments

trashcan maN

Quote from: tusked on December 06, 2013, 10:22:32 am
what is Saben's record against the hogs, isn't he like 9-2 overall?
10-2

GlassofSwine

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 10:25:00 am

You really need to get out more if you think Alabama's fan base is worse than Texas'.

I have lived in both Texas and Alabama, in-laws are from Alabama. It isn't even close, Alabama fans are crazier. In Alabama,  everyone's Sunday best comes with an Alabama logo on it somewhere. I've seen in-laws watch re-runs of the Alabama championship with Notre Dame 4 days in a row and that was in July.

The Boar War

Quote from: tusked on December 06, 2013, 10:13:05 am

Maybe that's why JL was punted?  JL's name was floated by Saben and he said 'no way'.

That's the only thing I can think of.  Had to be Jeff Long.  ::)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 10:14:49 am
I definitely think legacy plays a big factor, but a nagging wife can get almost anything if she really wants it. hah!

Wives can certainly play a role, but they also tend to know who the goose is, that continues to lay their golden egg, so their wants and desires get tempered a bit. Now would she love Austin? Great town though it has a liberal leaning these days, but a lot more upscale than Tuscaloosa and a better place to retire froma climate standpoint.

From Saban's standpoint, recruiting would not be an issue. Any Texas assistant that walks into any highly ranked recruits living room anywhere in the country and says, "Coach Saban wanted to make sure that we visitied with you about your opportunity at Texas", might have a lot of interest in looking at Texas.

Saban would take over the Big 12 and have an easier route to a NC game than he will ever have in the SEC and he has gotten there frequently. Thus, my emphasis on the "legacy" thing. I think he wants that 3rd NC at a 3rd school before he retires and money won't even be an issue.
Go Hogs Go!

immahog

If Saban does go to Texas which I don't think he will but hey he has lied before .....he will own the big 12
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 09:59:36 am

I didn't know this one. I actually thought her being happy was one of the reasons Saban said he wouldn't consider a move. Women do change on a whim though.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

trashcan maN

Quote from: GlassofSwine on December 06, 2013, 10:31:16 am
In Alabama,  everyone's Sunday best comes with an Alabama logo on it somewhere.
I lol'd. Thanks for backing me up. Alabama fans are on a different planet compared to UT fans. UT fans 'act like they've been there before' for the most part. There are always exceptions..

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 06, 2013, 10:31:32 am
Wives can certainly play a role, but they also tend to know who the goose is, that continues to lay their golden egg, so their wants and desires get tempered a bit. Now would she love Austin? Great town though it has a liberal leaning these days, but a lot more upscale than Tuscaloosa and a better place to retire froma climate standpoint.

From Saban's standpoint, recruiting would not be an issue. Any Texas assistant that walks into any highly ranked recruits living room anywhere in the country and says, "Coach Saban wanted to make sure that we visitied with you about your opportunity at Texas", might have a lot of interest in looking at Texas.

Saban would take over the Big 12 and have an easier route to a NC game than he will ever have in the SEC and he has gotten there frequently. Thus, my emphasis on the "legacy" thing. I think he wants that 3rd NC at a 3rd school before he retires and money won't even be an issue.

You could be right, but it's hard to fathom him wanting to start over somewhere at his age with so much already in place.  He has kids seeking out Bama, and that's deeply seated.  Him seeing Auburn on the rise might have some impact on that, and I can see where it might be one more checkmark on the "Pro" side of going to Austin.  He'll still have to compete with the Texas schools.  If he does go, you can definitely see where Sumlin might be second guessing whatever opportunities might have come his way in lieu of a contract extension. 

Recruiting against Saban at Texas, where he WILL get whatever he wants on a greatly expedited schedule. will be tough to deal with.  There is NO DOUBT in my mind that if he goes, he will win not just one NC, but probably a few of them.  UT will be right back at the forefront in short order, because he can get the athletes to play his style probably even easier than being in Bama.  The "My 22 are better than your 22" will be a pretty easy system to incorporate with the best athletes in Texas, not to mention the national recruits he'll land. 

It's a scary thought, but I'm like the poster earlier.  I'll have to see it to believe it, just because of what he's built at Bama.  I'm already picturing a mob of people cheering on a dude with a huge Stihl chainsaw just getting after that Saban statue.   ;D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

proud2bpork

I think the one thing that will ultimately persuade Saban to Texas will their desire to be an independent program.  With the playoff system, conference ties are no longer a critical component of getting to the championshipgame.  Texas will offer saban keys to a program that doesn't have to follow conference rules and he can set his own schedule.  That will be the biggest carrot.

texas tush hog

He takes over. I think that has been part of the deal for some time, listening to Saban's wife and reading between the lines. Don't know anything and it may not happen, but there is a heck of a lot of smoke down here, for their not to be some smoldering embers under the brush.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 09:50:05 am
Hearing from TX side that they are looking to announce new coach on Dec. 13. Mack Brown will coach Bowl game in exchange for him stepping down and retiring peacefully.

Assistants have known about hire for some time and have been asked to keep quiet until Mack can announce his retirement. It sounds like Mack is really concerned with his legacy and wants to go out with grace. Respectable.

If TX gets Saban, which I personally think they have a great shot at, what recruits might we snatch from Alabama? Alot of kids go to that school to play for a legendary coach. Nearly all of their commits could play anywhere they wanted to, so I expect to see a higher than normal fallout if Coach Saban leaves.

Why announce on Dec. 13th?  If that's true, and it is Saban, then that's pretty bold on both of their parts.  They would fling eggs at Saban's house with impunity, and he'd have more death threats than you can shake a stick at.  Someone would paint "Die" in cheesy white spray paint on his statue, and the fans that have loved him for years would boo him at the bowl game.  People think we're bat poop crazy, but Bama fans...you gotta be kidding me.  They're bonkers from the word go. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: proud2bpork on December 06, 2013, 10:46:26 am
I think the one thing that will ultimately persuade Saban to Texas will their desire to be an independent program.  With the playoff system, conference ties are no longer a critical component of getting to the championshipgame.  Texas will offer saban keys to a program that doesn't have to follow conference rules and he can set his own schedule.  That will be the biggest carrot.

I doubt that ever happens again in CFB.  With the bigger conferences, and more conference games, there's no room for them to make an entire schedule with independents any longer.  People would not want to play them in week 7, and that would be required by someone.  They'll do just fine in the Big 12 pushing everyone around....one top OOC game, and an easier patch to the NC every season. 

trashcan maN

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 10:47:53 am
I've been to Austin and Tuscaloosa and while I find Tuscaloosa a much better experience than Austin I try to keep in mind the old adage 'to each their own'.  There is a pretentious air in Austin (and Texas for that matter) that exists to a much smaller degree in Tuscaloosa (and Alabama) - again IMO.
I agree 100%. People are much more pretentious in Austin. It comes with a higher quality of life and a more educated people. Pretentious people are also less likely to act like animals over football. That is all I was saying.

trashcan maN

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 10:49:30 am
Why announce on Dec. 13th?  If that's true, and it is Saban, then that's pretty bold on both of their parts.  They would fling eggs at Saban's house with impunity, and he'd have more death threats than you can shake a stick at.  Someone would paint "Die" in cheesy white spray paint on his statue, and the fans that have loved him for years would boo him at the bowl game.  People think we're bat poop crazy, but Bama fans...you gotta be kidding me.  They're bonkers from the word go.
No one knows for sure who the coach will be, but the word is that Dec. 13th is the date. If that's true and it is Saban, I assume he will not coach Bama in the bowl game.

Boardon Hamsay

Word I'm hearing is Saban is getting another raise to stay at Bama.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 10:47:53 am
I've been to Austin and Tuscaloosa and while I find Tuscaloosa a much better experience than Austin I try to keep in mind the old adage 'to each their own'.  There is a pretentious air in Austin (and Texas for that matter) that exists to a much smaller degree in Tuscaloosa (and Alabama) - again IMO.

So you're trying to tell me that people in Texas have some sort of superiority complex?  Surely you jest.  They threaten to secede every few years, and claim that they are better than everyone else, and that everything's bigger in TX.  That includes the pretentious a-holes too....   :D

They're sort of like OSU fans.  They are nice, at first, but then when you scratch a little below the surface, you realize that there's a huge ego chomping at the bit to get out.   ;)