Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M suspends coaches over sexist presentation

Started by kodiakisland, July 29, 2016, 07:55:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakisland

July 29, 2016, 07:55:26 pm Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:11:44 pm by kodiakisland
With everything going on today in college football, why is it some people just don't get it.  This might have been funny at a sorority event, but not at an event to introduce and educate more women to football.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/texas-aandm-football-suspends-2-coaches-after-sexist-presentations-at-women%e2%80%99s-event/ar-BBv2u0K?li=BBnba9I
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

For some reason, most of the pictures of the offending slides were removed from the above article.  Wish I knew how to link the pics on twitter, but this article has some of the ones removed from the above article.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/07/texas-a-m-football-sexist-presentations-coach-suspensions

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

TrueBlue

We have a leader in the clubhouse for the Tom Herman sweepstakes.

#SumlinOnHotSeat

TrueBlue

Seriously with all the PC (Political Correctness) stuff going on right now...why would any mom want their son to be recruited or even commit to A&M? This along with the fact that the school produced Manziel, has had their head coach completely drunk on video, and has a history of degrading women. Probably not good timing on their behalf....

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Rzbakfromwaybak

July 29, 2016, 11:05:46 pm #5 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:13:18 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Lol, Only in Aggieland. Wonder if they got this idea from Manziel ??

Good grief.  Guess the worst thing about this "presentation", was that it was not just a slip of the tongue. or spur of the moment.  They actually planned this out, & had time to think about what they were doing.  This is one of the stupidest stunts that I can remember hearing 2 coaches doing....while sober. (maybe they weren't)   :)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Inhogswetrust

Two coaches suspended yet Sumlin attended the event and was not aware of it. How drunk was he? Only a two week suspension is near Baylor style.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/759151598723477505

QuoteA&M assistant football coaches Jim Turner and Jeff Banks have been suspended for two weeks for using derogatory language aimed at women during a "Chalk Talk".

"We want to sincerely apologize to the passionate Aggie fans and to women for our failed attempt at humor during this week's Aggie Football Chalk Talk and fundraiser. We clearly understand now that our comments and slides were not appropriate or consistent with the values of our football program or our Department. We must do better. We will."

The "Aggie War Hymn" was redone with some new lyrics. Check them out:

We are Aggie women
We are filled with estrogen
Hullabaloo, canek, canek, and back again

Maroon & white are the colors we love
We are putting down our dish towels
And taking off our gloves

No more lysol or cascade
We want to score Touchdowns
And walk in the parade

We are Aggie women & this is our song
Come on...bring it on...no more thong
Hullabaloo..caneck..caneck..and so on
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Suzanne Halliburton Retweeted
https://twitter.com/statesman/status/759176301353791489

QuoteA&M coach Kevin Sumlin announced Friday that he's suspended assistants Jim Turner and Jeff Banks for their part in an offensive presentation at an Aggies women's football clinic.

The two will be suspended for two weeks without pay, Sumlin said, and were told to do 20 hours of community service. The A&M football team is set to report for preseason training camp, Aug. 7.

"There is absolutely no place in our program or in our University community for inappropriate conduct or degrading comments towards women, or anyone, regardless of intent," Sumlin said in a statement to the media.

Banks is A&M's special teams coordinator and Turner is the offensive line coach.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

pigture perfect

This is one reason that it's still not Politically incorrect to make up and tell Aggie jokes.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jbcarol

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 14h14 hours ago

Suggestion: With all this TV money, power five schools should create a position of Assistant AD for What Could Go Wrong.

Chuck Carlton Retweeted
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/759160058282250240

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/759412656482684928

QuoteFor the second time this offseason, A&M assistant coaches are being punished for an off field incident.

Offensive line coach Jim Turner and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks have been suspended for two weeks without pay for comments made during "Chalk Talk".

Turner was fired by the Dolphins for his involvement in the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin bullying scandal.

Sumlin had to issue a public statement following a Twitter rant from Wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead following some bad news for Texas A&M on the recruiting trail.

The Aggies begin fall camp next week and open up the 2016 season at home against UCLA on Sept. 3.

IntegrityHog

IntegrityHog

Inhogswetrust

July 30, 2016, 11:05:15 am #17 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:17:31 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: pigture perfect on July 30, 2016, 08:07:05 am
This is one reason that it's still not Politically incorrect to make up and tell Aggie jokes.

What? Angie jokes don't have to be and usually are not sexist. They are about aggies being dumb......................looks like some of their coaches are as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

You have to be quick on here. I've started to start a thread only 2 minutes after something made the internet or news and boom I was too late! Somebody else beat me to it!

Boarcephus

July 30, 2016, 11:43:44 am #19 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:19:20 pm by Boarcephus
It wasn't but a year or so a grad assistant was caught on camera elbowing and hitting opposing players on the sidelines and once again, he claimed he knew nothing about it till he was told.  Not sure what his prerequisites are for hiring assistants but he might consider making a few changes to them. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

lrar4hogs

Yeah,  I also read that Sumlin was also at the event, but claims he had no knowledge of what the assist at coaches were saying or showing.  Right?  This same offensive line coach was with dolphins when the Richie Incognito bullying incident happened. Aggies being Aggies if you asked me.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 30, 2016, 11:09:44 am
You have to be quick on here. I've started to start a thread only 2 minutes after something made the internet or news and boom I was too late! Somebody else beat me to it!
Carroll-bot
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IntegrityHog on July 30, 2016, 10:59:25 am
  http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17175699/texas-aggies-suspend-assistant-coaches-degrading-slide-show

We wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff here.  Pretty sure CBB would have caned these yay-hoos.
Totally stupid and unnecessary. Perhaps Baylor and TAM need to consider "cross training" one another's staffs so they can pick up even more insipid ideas.

Pig in the Pokey

Come on down, Mr Horry, you don't want to play for these type of clowns.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Vantage 8 dude

Man, how much abuse are our (perhaps) distant ancestors-the Neanderthals-going to take ??? Now we have Doug Gottlieb comparing Aggies to these cavemen. And what did those poor Neanderthals ever do to deserve such scorn? Now REALLY!! ::)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/759468723602333696

QuoteDuring the NFL's independent investigation conducted by Ted Wells into workplace misconduct involving the Miami Dolphins earlier this decade, Turner's name surfaced. Turner had served as the team's offensive line coach in 2012-13, and he was relieved of his duties by the team in 2014 after Wells' report was released.

Turner filed a defamation lawsuit against Wells and his law firm last August, according to multiple reports, but it's unclear whether the matter has been resolved. He had been out of coaching the past two years before being hired by Texas A&M in February.

Debi Fincher, a past president of the Brazos County Aggie Moms' Club, told the Dallas Morning News' Ben Baby that she was at the Chalk Talk event this past Wednesday, and also had been to the event in prior years during Turner's first stint with Texas A&M (2008-11). She said Wednesday's presentation was similar to a previous one and it drew laughs from older women.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/skhanjr/status/759192049287516162

QuoteTwo Texas A&M assistant coaches were suspended for two weeks without pay for their role in a presentation slideshow at a fundraiser Thursday that included comments offensive to women.

Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin suspended offensive line coach Jim Turner and special-teams coordinator/tight ends coach Jeff Banks for "degrading comments towards women" that were part of a slideshow that was shown to about 700 attendees in the program's annual "Chalk Talk for Women."

Turner was the Miami Dolphins' offensive line coach during the Jonathan Martin hazing scandal. He was fired by Miami in February 2014 for "poor judgment."

The "Chalk Talk" event is designed to educate female fans on the game of football...

"There is absolutely no place in our program or in our university community for inappropriate conduct or degrading comments towards women, or anyone, regardless of intent," Sumlin said. "While I was in attendance at the Chalk Talk event this week, I was engaged in meeting participants, taking photographs and signing autographs, and I was unaware of the contents of Jim and Jeff's presentations until this morning.

"Upon learning of the details, I immediately consulted with director of athletics Scott Woodward, and made the decision that both Jim and Jeff will be suspended without pay for two weeks effective immediately and will serve 20 hours of community service. I have addressed the issue with both of them and have their commitment to be better representatives of our program.

"On behalf of Aggie football, I want to apologize for the comments at Chalk Talk and also for my failure to review their individual presentations. I want to thank the almost 700 women who came out this week who not only participated in the program but who supported a worthy cause in Twin City Mission."

Hoggish1

rlreev01

Where there is smoke there is fire. Program mis-managed. Too many issues happening. Sumlin will be gone soon.

factchecker

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 30, 2016, 11:43:44 am
It wasn't but a year or so a grad assistant was caught on camera elbowing and hitting opposing players on the sidelines and once again, he claimed he knew nothing about it till he was told.  Not sure how what his prerequisites are for hiring assistants but he might consider making a few changes to them.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tusks

Us old SWC guys are used to beating these dip chits.  Im ready to get back to that.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

longpig

like me some caned yay-hoos in heavy syrup
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

July 30, 2016, 09:42:29 pm #34 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:07:03 pm by longpig
I admire Sumlin, brilliant guy with demons that'd be fun to have a beer or twenty with.  Do have to admit that he's not in control of the program from the players up to himself, never has been and starting to look like he never will be.  Remember a couple years ago when a grad assistant forearmed the other team's player when the play spilled onto the Aggie sideline?  Hiring that dumdicc from the phins was plain stupid.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hog.goblin

hawginbigd1

Maybe I should jaunt over there and see what's up I am staying at the Hilton about a mile from the campus right now, saw a few coeds at chipotle.

Cornfed Pig

Hogville really coming down hard on the sexist slurs. It's all fine when you're just some anonymous dbag on a message board.

factchecker

Quote from: longpig on July 30, 2016, 09:42:29 pm
I admire Sumlin, brilliant guy with demons that'd be fun to have a beer or twenty with.  Do have to admit that he's not in control of the program from the players up to himself, never has been and starting to look like he never will be.  Remember a couple years ago when a grad assistant forearmed the other team's player when the play spilled onto the Aggie sideline?  Hiring that dumdicc from the phins was plain stupid.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

daBoar

Let me get this straight.  Sumlin was in the audience.  The coaches work for him and he didn't know what they'd be presenting. 

Sure.

Seebs

Quote from: Cornfed Pig on July 30, 2016, 10:42:17 pm
Hogville really coming down hard on the sexist slurs. It's all fine when you're just some anonymous dbag on a message board.

... said Cornfed Pig on a Message Board.  This is not very Lady-like 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Seebs

I struggle with the players that just left Baylor and decided TAMU was the place to go.  There is a frying pan/fire notion that is beyond obvious.

TAMU needs a full barium cleanse.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

The NewEra

Quote from: rlreev01 on July 30, 2016, 09:04:45 pm
Where there is smoke there is fire. Program mis-managed. Too many issues happening. Sumlin will be gone soon.

These are exactly my thoughts.  If his program is acting this way in public, you can just imagine what's going on behind closed doors.  These jokers somehow thought this would be acceptable.  That program is slowly burning to the ground from the inside out.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/759507402463076353

QuoteScarblog: Maybe next year the mouth breathers at Texas A&M can book Andrew Dice Clay as an opening act and close with a video starring Beavis and Butthead.

You know, if they really want to continue the Aggie tradition of misogyny known as the Chalk Talk for Women.

What grandmother doesn't love junior-high locker-room humor?

More likely, this event has dragged its knuckles across the stage at Kyle Field for the last time. The boys-will-be-Neanderthals nature of the 2016 version came to light as just the latest example of a major college football program with issues.

You want to know how NOT to teach college football players to respect women? Put up lewd, crude, sexually suggestive slides and make-me-a-sandwich parody lyrics in a room full of 700 women under the guise of teaching the little ladies all about this manly sport of football...

Jeff Banks and Jim Turner, have been suspended for the next two weeks without pay and will serve 20 hours of community service. Turner's the same offensive line coach who was fired by the Miami Dolphins two years ago for his role in their bullying scandal, which allegedly included him joining in the taunting, according to the NFL's report.

A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin apologized for the actions of his coaches in an I-had-no-idea statement. You could say he's lost control of the program - this is just the latest example of his assistants making fools of themselves - but isn't it necessary to have control to lose it?

The protests of some A&M fans and other cavemen to the contrary, the backlash here isn't a case of the PC police running amok. It's a recognition that what Sumlin's statement called "degrading comments toward women" aren't a good idea for a college football program anywhere, especially one living in the same state as Baylor.

luke hawg

A & M must be so proud of their middle tier status and constant PR problems. They need to let this clown go. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Cornfed Pig on July 30, 2016, 10:42:17 pm
Well I suppose that depends on a couple of things. First of all, do you believe that all these reports are true or have been totally fabricated? Secondly, IF you believe that these stories are accurate, do you agree or disagree with all that was said and shown during the presentation(s)?

Apparently Sumlin thought the reports were accurate enough to suspend the assistants a couple of weeks without pay. Therefore that really leaves only one real question. Do you think what the coaches presented to the women was appropriate? On THAT one issue lies the real crux as to whether or not HV, or anyone else for that matter, is justified in "coming down hard on the sexist slurs". Whether the "slurs", anonymous or not, are therefore appropriate really comes down to YOUR own sense or propriety/standards.

Frankly in this case I'd prefer to be guilty of criticizing these cretins. Little doubt they totally deserve it.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: The NewEra on July 31, 2016, 09:23:00 am
These are exactly my thoughts.  If his program is acting this way in public, you can just imagine what's going on behind closed doors.  These jokers somehow thought this would be acceptable.  That program is slowly burning to the ground from the inside out.
slow claps  ;D

DeltaBoy

What they did was borderline sexist and in poor taste. They were trying to be cute is my guess but went over the line. As for Sumlin why did he not check on what they were going to do before they presented it. That was irresponsible on his part.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

26.2Hog

The Aggies have become a total embarrassment to the SEC.

Dr. Starcs