Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now you see what Mike Anderson has been up against. other teams buying players

Started by forrest city joe, February 23, 2018, 10:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

For those of you that have been whining and crying  about why Mike can't get a Colin Sexton or a other 5 star players to come to Arkansas like Alabama and Auburn are doing. you got your reason.want to know why KY and UNC keep beating Arkansas?you got your answer.want to know why we can't be like were were under Eddie and Nolan.you got your answer.the teams that get the top players do most of the winning.most time the best players will win.Mike and other coaches like him have almost no chance in this system.it's a joke.yet people are screaming fire Mike because he keeps losing to these teams.THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS!MIKE ANDERSON HAS NOT!college basketball is a joke.Unc,KY KU and Duke will get away with this.nothing will happen.

BentonvilleJeff

College basketball has been sleazy for years. People doing it the right way have an almost impossible job. I hope this investigation washes away all the slime.

cityhog

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on February 23, 2018, 10:35:28 am
College basketball has been sleazy for years. People doing it the right way have an almost impossible job. I hope this investigation washes away all the slime.

dream on. UNC perpetrated quite possibly the biggest case of academic fraud in the history of college sports and NOTHING was done. This involves big $$ and big name programs. Don't expect anything to come of this from a sanctions standpoint. Jail time maybe, but no punishment from a sanctions standpoint.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on February 23, 2018, 10:35:28 am

Yep.  Rupp and Wooden benefited from aggressive cheating.

Cheating happened in Eddie and Nolan's eras.  Memphis $tate prime example of what both had to deal with. 

The problem in the last 30 years with the shoe companies and AAU is the power programs had to play or fall behind.  If the system wouldn't have come about, UNC, KU, Duke, Louisville still would have great teams.  None need to be involved in this nonsense to win if the competition wasn't doing it.  Lou's NC team Russ Smith, Siva, Hancock,...didn't need to cheat to build that team. 

As far as Mike, I would just like for him to finally stop the roster turnover and actually build a team capable of playing defensively how he wants.  That doesn't take one and done 5 star players on the take with an entourage of family and handlers with hands out.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

this case is about an agent paying players, not schools. now, let see if there is any proof, that the coaches knew of the payments.

read first, before getting on here and being completely wrong
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

I say let the shoe companies pay these kids. Why wouldn't the NCAA let this happen? It could help get them off the hook for having to pay the players themselves. I'm sure there's a lot I'm not accounting for and people are always going to find a way to cheat for an advantage no matter what regulations are put in place, but the fact remains that these kids need to be getting more than what they're getting through what their scholarship provides given how much money is being generated off their performance. No matter which way it goes, it's going to need to end if the players needing to be paid whether it's allowing them to make money off their likeness or letting shoe companies sign them to individual "pre-professional" contracts.

razorhead94

Quote from: Kevin on February 23, 2018, 10:54:03 am
this case is about an agent paying players, not schools. now, let see if there is any proof, that the coaches knew of the payments.

Don't also just act like coaches don't have any clue.  They absolutely do.  And their has been documentation of "Coach B" and "Coach C" on reports telling them to make it happen through intermediaries.

There are all kinds of avenues whether it be agents, shoe companies, financial advisors, etc.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on February 23, 2018, 10:54:03 am

Plausible deniability.  It's worked many times. 

The immediate question though is if programs who have players named will play those players.  They can't play stupid on this. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2018, 10:50:43 am
Yep.  Rupp and Wooden benefited from aggressive cheating.

Cheating happened in Eddie and Nolan's eras.  Memphis $tate prime example of what both had to deal with. 

The problem in the last 30 years with the shoe companies and AAU is the power programs had to play or fall behind.  If the system wouldn't have come about, UNC, KU, Duke, Louisville still would have great teams.  None need to be involved in this nonsense to win if the competition wasn't doing it.  Lou's NC team Russ Smith, Siva, Hancock,...didn't need to cheat to build that team. 

As far as Mike, I would just like for him to finally stop the roster turnover and actually build a team capable of playing defensively how he wants.  That doesn't take one and done 5 star players on the take with an entourage of family and handlers with hands out.   

Here is the question though, are the schools/coaches cheating or are the players taking $ on their own? It will have to be proven the schools/coaches were involved or nothing will happen to them other than any players deemed to have taken benefits will eventually be declared ineligible.

Make no mistake though, this report came out when it did for maximum effect, Imagine if a dozen or so high profile players get suspended and cant play in their last reg season games or conf tourneys or the ncaat. The press will have a feeding frenzy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

txkhog

Anderson losing to Ky and NC was expected. But look at the teams he loses to with less talent every stinking year. Explain that away.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 10:59:53 am
Here is the question though, are the schools/coaches cheating or are the players taking $ on their own? It will have to be proven the schools/coaches were involved or nothing will happen to them other than any players deemed to have taken benefits will eventually be declared ineligible.

Make no mistake though, this report came out when it did for maximum effect, Imagine if a dozen or so high profile players get suspended and cant play in their last reg season games or conf tourneys or the ncaat. The press will have a feeding frenzy.

I don't believe Coach K told Jon Scheyer to see to it Wendall Carter's mom received a big payment in order to get Carter to Duke.  I believe programs like Duke look the other way when agents or someone associated with Nike or Adidas get involved and a player ends up at certain program.  I don't believe Bill Self has worked with Adidas to get players but also didn't question anything going on either. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: txkhog on February 23, 2018, 11:00:13 am
Anderson losing to Ky and NC was expected. But look at the teams he loses to with less talent every stinking year. Explain that away.

Home game. Favored. No. No, it wasn't expected.

Agree with second bold. Getting spanked by LSU at home should have been an eye opener for everyone.

jst01

Master troll work. Incorporating biggest headlines into your agenda.. Do work FCJ.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2018, 11:08:15 am
I don't believe Coach K told Jon Scheyer to see to it Wendall Carter's mom received a big payment in order to get Carter to Duke.  I believe programs like Duke look the other way when agents or someone associated with Nike or Adidas get involved and a player ends up at certain program.  I don't believe Bill Self has worked with Adidas to get players but also didn't question anything going on either. 

I don't disagree. I am saying, for those that think this is going to bring down programs like Duke, they are likely whistling in the wind because there is unlikely proof showing the school or coach knew about and/or arranged the payments.

It is really nothing new, this happens to a couple high profile players every year or so. The difference here is the # of players named and three additional letters FBI.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

raz1965

The Razorbacks have one elite player in Gafford, the team's Arkansas lost too have players of equal talent as the hogs, LSU has several top 50 wins. Mike has been handcuffed by cheaters as most reasonable people could see the real picture, even before the FBI began to investigate. Going forward lets hope Arkansas can now be on a level playing field, which would be in Mikes favor.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 10:26:26 am
For those of you that have been whining and crying  about why Mike can't get a Colin Sexton or a other 5 star players to come to Arkansas like Alabama and Auburn are doing. you got your reason.want to know why KY and UNC keep beating Arkansas?you got your answer.want to know why we can't be like were were under Eddie and Nolan.you got your answer.the teams that get the top players do most of the winning.most time the best players will win.Mike and other coaches like him have almost no chance in this system.it's a joke.yet people are screaming fire Mike because he keeps losing to these teams.THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS!MIKE ANDERSON HAS NOT!college basketball is a joke.Unc,KY KU and Duke will get away with this.nothing will happen.
Do I think MA is clean? Yes.
Do I think there are coaches who recruit better, whether cheating or not cheating? Yes.
The fact is, MA has never been a great recruiter. That has nothing to do with cheating. He's just not a salesman.

At one time, Nolan/Mike were signing the cream of the crop and recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
Ron Huery, Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Darnell Robinson, Glendon Alexander, Kareem Reid, Derek Hood, Lee Wilson, etc were all players who were either 1st or 2nd Team Parade or McDonald's All-Americans, and they could have went anywhere in the country.

So the fact that they came here means Nolan/Mike were cheating, right?

You can't have it both ways.

The simple answer is, at one time Nolan was a dynamic coach and this was a destination program. Cheating has gone on forever. The book Raw Recruits came out in 1990.
MA has never been a dynamic coach and the recruiting shows.

Tusks

But how is Mike supposed to bring in enough talent to not have to play a 'perfect' game to beat the teams that are cheating.

Look Perry was coming to AR.  Then he went to Europe with adidas and then next thing he's being paid to go to MSU.

The hogs needed Perry to keep his commitment but because the hogs won't cheat, he's not coming.

This happens all the time.  Monk didn't come to AR because he got paid to go to KY and the hogs wouldn't cheat.

It's hard to recruit when you look at the kids you want to recruit and have to mark off the top 100 players because they're going to get shoe or agent money pushing $100K and the hogs won't play that game.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on February 23, 2018, 11:45:38 am
But how is Mike supposed to bring in enough talent to not have to play a 'perfect' game to beat the teams that are cheating.

Look Perry was coming to AR.  Then he went to Europe with adidas and then next thing he's being paid to go to MSU.

The hogs needed Perry to keep his commitment but because the hogs won't cheat, he's not coming.

This happens all the time.  Monk didn't come to AR because he got paid to go to KY and the hogs wouldn't cheat.

It's hard to recruit when you look at the kids you want to recruit and have to mark off the top 100 players because they're going to get shoe or agent money pushing $100K and the hogs won't play that game.

Here in lies the crux of the issue though. IS there going to be proof that the SCHOOLS were paying the players to go to their schools? Were these agents funneling money on behalf of the school or were they paying these players to influence them to sign with them when they were getting ready to be drafted?

You and I can THINK the school was involved, but if there is no proof, then it all falls back on the kid, many of which have already left school or will be leaving after this season.

cram224

CMA wouldn't win the SEC if he had the five best players being paid in college basketball. You have to be able to coach them first.

Jim Harris

I see Jarell Martin, who LSU pulled out of Dallas and who is listed here as getting a "loan" of  $50,000 or so and yeah -- I get it.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Atlhogfan1

Was Martin paid $50,000 to go to LSU?  Did he go to LSU because they would look the other way when he got paid and other programs wouldn't? 

Jim Harris

Quote from: cram224 on February 23, 2018, 11:50:28 am
CMA wouldn't win the SEC if he had the five best players being paid in college basketball. You have to be able to coach them first.

well, he hasn't ever had the best five players being paid in college basketball so we don't really know that, do we? I think that is crap that people think he's just rolling the ball out there and saying, "Go play." Does he do it DIFFERENTLY that some other coaches? Absolutely. As did Nolan. Some coaches "coach" like you think players should be coached and it holds them and the team down, too.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mbgrulz

Who have we lost to that had less talent than us?

Cargill A. BullHog

Integrity has a price...

Coach A is doing this the right way.  He's a straight shooter who can be trusted to be moral and ethical even if it costs him "X" recruit.  Lets all be thankful for a man of character leading our program and realize that continuity builds a stronger program thatn a flash in the pan.  Proud of Coach A and his leadership.  Preach on FCJ
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2018, 11:53:06 am
Was Martin paid $50,000 to go to LSU?  Did he go to LSU because they would look the other way when he got paid and other programs wouldn't? 

That's the thing. Everyone seems to be jumping to the conclusion that they were getting paid to go to a certain school. None of the evidence, so far, points to that. The evidence points to players who are likely 1 and done or 2 and done getting money from agents in the hope that when they are out of school they sign with them and the agents make a boat load off their nba contract and endorsements.

BoarEd

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 23, 2018, 10:56:15 am
I say let the shoe companies pay these kids. Why wouldn't the NCAA let this happen?

Because the players are then defrauding the federal government.

If they allow this to happen, they have to remove the scholarships the players use to get an education. If they do that, why even make the kids go to class? Why not just do away with amateur sports all together and form an NBA minor league?

Oh yeah, because then places like Fayetteville wouldn't even have a team.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BoarEd on February 23, 2018, 12:00:45 pm

If they allow this to happen, they have to remove the scholarships the players use to get an education. If they do that, why even make the kids go to class? Why not just do away with amateur sports all together and form an NBA minor league?

Plenty of students in other fields on scholarship that are able to receive income from outside sources.

BoarEd

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 11:57:33 am
That's the thing. Everyone seems to be jumping to the conclusion that they were getting paid to go to a certain school. None of the evidence, so far, points to that. The evidence points to players who are likely 1 and done or 2 and done getting money from agents in the hope that when they are out of school they sign with them and the agents make a boat load off their nba contract and endorsements.

What??
Dude, that's exactly what was happening. It's the entire reason that Adidas and Nike had their offices raided. Because they were, in fact, steering talent to certain schools. Schools that have contracts with said shoe companies.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 11:57:33 am

Well a precedent may have been set in college football with Reggie Bush.  Bush was not paid to sign with USC.  But in 2004, agents began giving him and his family gifts.  USC wasn't involved.  But they were still punished for it.  The gifts had nothing to do with him playing at USC.  Well unless they would have watched closely and not let it happen and as a result he left and went to UCLA or Cal.  This isn't going to be a simple to process through for the NCAA.

forrest city joe

Quote from: cityhog on February 23, 2018, 10:46:59 am
dream on. UNC perpetrated quite possibly the biggest case of academic fraud in the history of college sports and NOTHING was done. This involves big $$ and big name programs. Don't expect anything to come of this from a sanctions standpoint. Jail time maybe, but no punishment from a sanctions standpoint.
+1000. Unc got away with the most massive academic fraud.scandal i have ever seen.and the NCAA refuse to touch them.the NCAA is a joke!how the hell is Mike Anderson going to ever win really big with this BS going on?and i see the media is already making excuse for the Blue Blooks.SICKENING!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2018, 11:53:06 am

That story doesn't spell out what it meant for these players to get this money, only that they did. I would love for them to be able to tie together that a $50,000 loan from so-and-so means "you go to the school I suggest." Maybe that happened here, maybe not. It appears he had his hand out somewhere. How do we also know this is all he got for playing a year of college basketball? And this is just one agency; not that we should assume there is sleaziness with other agencies, but you have to really suspend your disbelief to think only these guys were loaning players money to recruit them as clients. A few players apparently took the money and ran.

BoarEd

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 23, 2018, 12:02:26 pm
Plenty of students in other fields on scholarship that are able to receive income from outside sources.

Yes, but said students don't likely have their entire lives taken care of by the university. Every meal, every medical benefit known to man, etc. And the players are already paid on top of all that.

It's ridiculous. If you allowed them to be paid more, it wouldn't solve anything. The best players would still seek to be compensated even more so.

At the end of the day, all of these players, and often their family members as well, sign contracts with the federal government declaring the players are not earning extra money. Except they are. That's fraud.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 23, 2018, 12:07:35 pm
That story doesn't spell out what it meant for these players to get this money, only that they did. I would love for them to be able to tie together that a $50,000 loan from so-and-so means "you go to the school I suggest." Maybe that happened here, maybe not. It appears he had his hand out somewhere. How do we also know this is all he got for playing a year of college basketball? And this is just one agency; not that we should assume there is sleaziness with other agencies, but you have to really suspend your disbelief to think only these guys were loaning players money to recruit them as clients. A few players apparently took the money and ran.

I hope they can tie it up cleanly like that as well and say for example LSU asst coach knew of the $50,000 or a shoe company told him to go to LSU as a result. 

razorback1829

Don't blame the kids, parents, agents, or shoe reps. This is the NCAAs mess. They could've easily created a system that would work, but they are only interested in maximizing profits.

BoarEd

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 23, 2018, 12:11:19 pm
Don't blame the kids, parents, agents, or shoe reps. This is the NCAAs mess. They could've easily created a system that would work, but they are only interested in maximizing profits.

Nonsense.

The players themselves and their family members should consider themselves lucky if they don't end up in trouble as well.

You can try and say this is so and so's mess all day long, but that the end of the day, if you sign your name to a piece of paper saying you aren't gonna take money from outside sources for the next four years, and you do so anyways, that's on you.

No excuses.

98hogs

They've been doing it for years.  I wrote on here before about KY delivering black bags of cash and Cal knew it but didn't touch it.  Had someone else do his dirty work.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2018, 12:03:55 pm
Well a precedent may have been set in college football with Reggie Bush.  Bush was not paid to sign with USC.  But in 2004, agents began giving him and his family gifts.  USC wasn't involved.  But they were still punished for it.  The gifts had nothing to do with him playing at USC.  Well unless they would have watched closely and not let it happen and as a result he left and went to UCLA or Cal.  This isn't going to be a simple to process through for the NCAA.

Not saying they won't be punished. I am saying that there is no PROOF ( at least that has been released ) that DUKE told anyone to pay this guy, or that Bama told anyone to play someone on their behalf.

I think with the media exposure this is going to get that some schools are going to get smacked pretty hard.

forrest city joe

Nope.LSU has as much talent.Auburn has more talent as their record prove it.that's why the FBI is after them.same with Alabama.other than Miss.state,who have we lost to that we have so much better talent?don't say Lsu.because if you look player for player,it's not true.maybe Houston,i will give you that.

steveaustin69

Quote from: BoarEd on February 23, 2018, 12:00:45 pm

On what? Taxes?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 23, 2018, 11:56:52 am
Integrity has a price...

Coach A is doing this the right way.  He's a straight shooter who can be trusted to be moral and ethical even if it costs him "X" recruit.  Lets all be thankful for a man of character leading our program and realize that continuity builds a stronger program thatn a flash in the pan.  Proud of Coach A and his leadership.  Preach on FCJ

I honestly cannot tell if this is a great troll joke or you are serious.

LR_Matt

#FAKENEWS

BoarEd

forrest city joe

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 23, 2018, 11:42:38 am
Do I think MA is clean? Yes.
Do I think there are coaches who recruit better, whether cheating or not cheating? Yes.
The fact is, MA has never been a great recruiter. That has nothing to do with cheating. He's just not a salesman.

At one time, Nolan/Mike were signing the cream of the crop and recruiting as well as anyone in the country.
Ron Huery, Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Corliss Williamson, Darnell Robinson, Glendon Alexander, Kareem Reid, Derek Hood, Lee Wilson, etc were all players who were either 1st or 2nd Team Parade or McDonald's All-Americans, and they could have went anywhere in the country.

So the fact that they came here means Nolan/Mike were cheating, right?

You can't have it both ways.

The simple answer is, at one time Nolan was a dynamic coach and this was a destination program. Cheating has gone on forever. The book Raw Recruits came out in 1990.
MA has never been a dynamic coach and the recruiting shows.
Show me one time Nolan/Mike had over 2 MD's all Americans on their team at one time.Corliss and D. Robinson.KY has 6 this year at one time.and have had more at one time in the past. so try again.just stop it.

LR_Matt

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 23, 2018, 11:56:52 am
Integrity has a price...

You can't be serious? Please don't act like MA's players haven't had legal trouble.

LR_Matt

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 12:29:18 pm
Truth.some times the truth hurts.

It still didn't say anything about schools paying players. So, your invented truth is fake news. That must hurt. But, by your rational thinking then MA is guilty for letting Beard counterfeit money and then let him stay on the team. Let that sink in....

hogsanity

My hope is that this whole scandal DESTROYS AAU. Nothing but a slimy pit of really low quality humans preying on 12-18 yr old kids, usually from low income backgrounds.

HawgTrough

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 12:28:29 pm
Show me one time Nolan/Mike had over 2 MD's all Americans on their team at one time.Corliss and D. Robinson.KY has 6 this year at one time.and have had more at one time in the past. so try again.just stop it.

somebody alert the burn unit. FCJ is sending a patient down
WPS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 12:28:29 pm

Lee Todd Huery

Reid Hood Robinson

Alexander Reid Hood