Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pixie Dust...Clay Henry article on Coach Morris, Conner Noland and more

Started by jgphillips3, February 22, 2018, 03:33:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GO

Great read, Thanks for sharing!

oldgoat

Makes me wonder if we might have something special again like Holtz/Calcagni and Petrino/Mallett.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

farmhawg

Coach Morris talked to Connor and he said bring him on," Jones said. "He was like that with the one at Earle, too. He is not afraid to compete. I think Connor has the perfect combination of confidence and humble nature."

^^^ That. Shows the respect Morris shows to his players. He will build something special here.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Tusks

Man I hope CM's pixie dust can translate into wins and then get the program steamrolling. 

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hoghearted

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

jgphillips3

We all know even the best plans and maximum effort fail sometimes.  However, while I'm under no illusion that we will suddenly - or ever - be Alabama, I think our program is going to return back to being a perennial top 25 team under Morris.  That man is doing everything he can to get us headed upward in the college football world and I think he is going to be, if he wants to be, a Tom Osborne type coach here who will build something that continues to get better the longer he is here.

liljo

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 22, 2018, 09:24:27 pm
We all know even the best plans and maximum effort fail sometimes.  However, while I'm under no illusion that we will suddenly - or ever - be Alabama, I think our program is going to return back to being a perennial top 25 team under Morris.  That man is doing everything he can to get us headed upward in the college football world and I think he is going to be, if he wants to be, a Tom Osborne type coach here who will build something that continues to get better the longer he is here.

I can see it happening! I love the possibilities that come with this very special blend of coaches. I definitely think Coach Morris will do very well here.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

DeltaBoy

Good read thanks for sharing ! Coach Morris continues to impress.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Earth Hog Fan

I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

jgphillips3

Quote from: Earth Hog Fan on February 23, 2018, 09:17:22 am
In my view Clay Henry is one of the very best Razorback Sport Writers in the state.  Always knowledgeable and always writes articles that are interesting and informative.

I think for a while he had some difficulty with his father's shadow but as time has gone on, I agree...his stuff is enjoyable to read.

GuvHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 23, 2018, 08:17:41 am
Good read thanks for sharing ! Coach Morris continues to impress.

Agreed, I'm impressed with Chad Morris. Rick Jones is a different story.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Grizzlyfan

In my view Clay Henry is one of the very best Razorback Sport Writers in the state.  Always knowledgeable and always writes articles that are interesting and informative.
During the course of a season if you want to get a feel for where the football team really is, listen to the Sports Animal radio station in Tulsa when Henry calls into the 11:00 am - 2:00 pm show.  He's not quite as guarded as he is on the in-state show.

jgphillips3

I particularly liked this:

"There are spread coaches all over Arkansas, but Jones thinks there will be more as they continue to see what Morris does and have a chance to watch him in action at practices in Fayetteville. Morris says all high school coaches are welcome at his practices all the time. They will be like clinics for 15 days this spring. I expect state high school coaches to flock to the UA practice fields.

"It's going to be neat for all of us," Jones said. "It's going to be like a little bit of pixie dust is spread over all of us. And, that spread pixie dust is pretty neat. Chad has got it and he doesn't mind giving it out. I'm sure going to take advantage of it.

"It seems like he's different in that he wants everyone in his practices to watch. But that's the way it was everywhere. That was the old normal.

"I remember that's the way it was with Coach (Frank) Broyles and with Coach (Lou) Holtz. I came over to watch practices and we'd listen to Coach Broyles, Monte Kiffin, Larry Beightol, Don Breaux, and Bobby Cope. Those were legends.

"I know that's the way Chad wants it to be, where high school coaches look forward to coming to a practice or hear him at a clinic like last week in Hot Springs. We want that pixie dust."

A REAL coach, not that clown we overpaid, says "let them prepare for us" instead of worrying about someone viewing practice.  The more I think about the money he was paid and how little he did, the angrier I get with Bielema.  I have this feeling that Morris, if nothing unexpected happens, is going to be our JFB part II, but is probably a better coach than Broyles ever was (at least if my Dad's opinion (that we were better when Broyle's stayed in his tower and let the assistants coach) is accurate). 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: GuvHog on February 23, 2018, 10:08:24 am

What in the world doesn't impress you about Jones?

Lao Tsuie

Dang !!  Is he the starter in the high school all-star game...truthfully I haven't kept up with this honor ...
If not it doesn't really matter, I rooting for him and so looking forward to seeing him perform.
Great article, thank you for posting.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on February 23, 2018, 10:08:24 am

All those championships is a tough sell, huh?

LawyerHog50

I get that he's trying to say there's something magical going on there but does he not know he's making it sound like our coach is a drug dealer?
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

jgphillips3

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on February 23, 2018, 09:45:28 pm
I get that he's trying to say there's something magical going on there but does he not know he's making it sound like our coach is a drug dealer?

Pardon me but what kind of drug dealers have you been around exactly that this sounds like a drug dealer? 😁

theFlyingHog

The fifth grade writing in that article is an embarrassing indictment of our society and school system

Flrazrback

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 23, 2018, 08:39:15 pm
All those championships is a tough sell, huh?

I don't care for his shotgun only offense. Most coaches who run a form of the spread, design their offenses so that the QB occasionally takes a snap from up under center. Because Jones offense is shotgun only, it took Tyler Wilson 3 years at Arkansas to get to where he was comfortable taking a snap from up under center.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: farmhawg on February 22, 2018, 04:32:18 pm
Coach Morris talked to Connor and he said bring him on," Jones said. "He was like that with the one at Earle, too. He is not afraid to compete. I think Connor has the perfect combination of confidence and humble nature."

^^^ That. Shows the respect Morris shows to his players. He will build something special here.
The QB competition is going to be fun to watch this year. My gut tells me Kelley, and the kicker is that I really don't think we have a QB on campus that we would be embarrassed by either. When I look at every position, including OL, I don't see any real deficiencies on Offense. I have faith that conditioning and coaching is going to fix all of our woes on that side of the ball quickly.
With all of that said, if there is any area of concern it is with how quickly The Chief can get our defense up to snuff, if it can be done at all THIS year... I will be very happy with marginal improvement overall and marked improvement in effort, because that will mean at least 3 more wins this year.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LawyerHog50

Pixie dust is ketamine and acid (LSD) in powder form. It also has been known to be refereed to as a last hit of ecstasy. 
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

LawyerHog50

"Its going to be neat for all of us." Jones said. "Its gpong to be like a little bit of [powderized ketamine and LSD acid] is spread all over us. And, that spread [powderized ketamine and LSD acid] is pretty neat. Chad has got it and doesnt mind giving it out. Im sure going to take advantage of it"

" I know that's the way it was with Coach Broyles and with Coach Holtz,  i came over to watch a practice or hear him at a clinic like last week in Hot Springs. We want that [powderized ketamine and LSD acid].

Clay henry...did you see what you did here? 

PorkRinds

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on February 24, 2018, 01:28:55 pm
Pixie dust is ketamine and acid (LSD) in powder form. It also has been known to be refereed to as a last hit of ecstasy.

Seems like everyone but you understood the context. May be time to lay off the drugs.

liljo

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on February 24, 2018, 01:38:38 pm
"Its going to be neat for all of us." Jones said. "Its gpong to be like a little bit of [powderized ketamine and LSD acid] is spread all over us. And, that spread [powderized ketamine and LSD acid] is pretty neat. Chad has got it and doesnt mind giving it out. Im sure going to take advantage of it"

" I know that's the way it was with Coach Broyles and with Coach Holtz,  i came over to watch a practice or hear him at a clinic like last week in Hot Springs. We want that [powderized ketamine and LSD acid].

Clay henry...did you see what you did here?

I get the sense that you really ARE a lawyer...
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 22, 2018, 03:33:52 pm
Good stuff.  :)

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/feb/22/state-hogs-pixie-dust-and-tarkenton-qb-way/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=razorbacks%20email%202-22&utm_content=razorbacks%20email%202-22+CID_a996f11c9bc105746b6f8493a686e612&utm_source=Email%20Marketing%20Platform&utm_term=State%20of%20the%20Hogs%20Spread%20pixie%20dust%20and%20a%20Tarkenton-like%20QB%20on%20the%20way

Good read, we will see but ideally, "most QB's" need at least one year to practice and develop in terms of learning the system, recognizing and reading college defenses at the LOS, checking out of bad calls and then being able to execute at a high level. The speed of play is simply different and at a higher level. Maybe lightning strikes? You never know. I don't anticipate that happening, but it could and I sure wouldn't be against that happening.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: GuvHog on February 24, 2018, 06:57:36 am
I don't care for his shotgun only offense. Most coaches who run a form of the spread, design their offenses so that the QB occasionally takes a snap from up under center. Because Jones offense is shotgun only, it took Tyler Wilson 3 years at Arkansas to get to where he was comfortable taking a snap from up under center.
You're going to hate Morris's offense.

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 24, 2018, 02:24:22 pm
Good read, we will see but ideally, "most QB's" need at least one year to practice and develop in terms of learning the system, recognizing and reading college defenses at the LOS, checking out of bad calls and then being able to execute at a high level. The speed of play is simply different and at a higher level. Maybe lightning strikes? You never know. I don't anticipate that happening, but it could and I sure wouldn't be against that happening.

It is rare.  Takes a special player.  However, it's year one for everyone and nothing is guaranteed so who knows.  They could decide to roll with the freshman mistakes to have him ready to tear it up in 2020 as a Junior when all the other pieces are in place (theoretically).

DeltaBoy

He has improved a ton from 10 years ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

GuvHog

Quote from: Karma on February 24, 2018, 02:32:24 pm
You're going to hate Morris's offense.

No, I actually like Morris's offense. In his offense, the QB is in the shotgun most of the time but will occasionally take a snap from up under center if the need arises. His offense is very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas.

Quote from: GuvHog on February 26, 2018, 12:34:15 pm
No, I actually like Morris's offense. In his offense, the QB is in the shotgun most of the time but will occasionally take a snap from up under center if the need arises. His offense is very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas.
His offense is not similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas, other than both use 11 players and designate one of them as "Quarterback."

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on February 24, 2018, 06:57:36 am

His job isn't to prepare a QB for college. It's to win championships which he does almost annually at this point.

DeltaBoy