Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some new info....

Started by porkrindjimmy, November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

East Clintwood

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 17, 2017, 05:12:18 pm
Be pretty funny if we fired long and bielema and end up with gobn and skip holtz.

I'd rather him than Gus.

At least he wouldn't be hard to get rid of like Gus will be.

Neither would be successful here.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ShadowHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm
I happen to work for the father of Auburn's director of recruiting....

Talked to that said person today. Said that Gus isn't coming here...in no certain terms.

My Arkansas people tell me different.  So...Gus is misleading one side....

Sours me on Gus. Just move on to Norvell....not Skip Holtz.

PRJ

Sounds exactly like what MA did with Mizzou, Saban did with the Dolphins, Meyer did with Florida, etc and so on.

You don't tell your current employer you are looking for other work, but I guess there a lot of people on here that do that?

BR

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 17, 2017, 11:46:04 pm
Monte Kiffin is 80 years old!! We’ll see if Aranda gets mentioned, and the minority interview will be Strong, but I agree there’s no way he gets hired. Kendall Briles would be smart to take an offensive analyst job first and then become an offensive coordinator. The GOBN loves “heppin” people and giving second chances, so you never know.
Kendall is Lane's OC right now at FAU, he calls all the plays..  FAU has the 25th best Offense in the Country, Arkansas has the 87th..
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Broadway Rob

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm
I happen to work for the father of Auburn's director of recruiting....

Talked to that said person today. Said that Gus isn't coming here...in no certain terms.

My Arkansas people tell me different.  So...Gus is misleading one side....

Sours me on Gus. Just move on to Norvell....not Skip Holtz.

PRJ

I think a few weeks ago, when it looked like Gus was about to be fired, and it was obvious Bret was too, someone reached out to Gus through channels and got somewhat positive feedback as to him coming here if he were to be fired at Auburn. 

Things have changed, and unless Auburn is blown out by Bama, I don't see them firing him.  I also do not believe he leaves that job on his own. 

However, I live here in Jonesboro, and when he coached at ASTATE, he told everyone an their brother that he would not be leaving after one year.  He said, "people that say that, well they must not know me very well".

So I wouldn't put any stock in what he's telling his director of recruiting, but I still think it's HIGHLY unlikely he comes here. Like, HIGHLY!   
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 17, 2017, 05:09:44 pm
People talk. Amongst themselves...have feelings. They say Gus has laughed at the possibility of coming here.

Now, sure he may not show his hand but it doesn't set right with me that we may be getting played here and a good coach goes somewhere else why we play tiddlywinks with Gus...

PRJ

I wouldn't believe he was coming here until I saw him stepping off the plane wearing a hog hat heading into the PC to do the hog call.

Coaches lie.  He may have lied to folks about possibly coming here and may have lied about not coming here.  Who knows?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2705288

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 17, 2017, 07:29:22 pm
He also told the Springdale 5 he wouldn't leave them, and then left to be a co-oc at Tulsa.

Coaches lie, as I posted above.  However, I'm sure he had no way of knowing how Nutt was going to treat him.  Calling him "high school" and hamstringing him on the play calling. 

Gus was not blameless in the whole ordeal, but I do think he had no choice but to leave, considering what I have heard on how it went down.

GuvHog

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 18, 2017, 06:13:24 am
Coaches lie, as I posted above.  However, I'm sure he had no way of knowing how Nutt was going to treat him.  Calling him "high school" and hamstringing him on the play calling. 

Gus was not blameless in the whole ordeal, but I do think he had no choice but to leave, considering what I have heard on how it went down.

Gus was far from blameless in 2006, he had plenty of dirt on his hands too. Gus didn't have to leave, he chose to. He didn't want to work together with Lee on the play calling, he wanted it all to himself.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mellon Collie

Looking out for his best interests. Same as anyone. Nothing to see here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 18, 2017, 06:41:47 am
Gus was far from blameless in 2006, he had plenty of dirt on his hands too. Gus didn't have to leave, he chose to. He didn't want to work together with Lee on the play calling, he wanted it all to himself.

As I recall Gus wasn't made aware (ahead of time) that Nutt was going to hire another OC and he would have to share time at that position and it may also be true (again, my memory is failing me) that the primary play caller was going to be the incoming Coach. It would seem apparent that Nutt only hired Gus because he was forced to do so and with him came the kids from Springdale. But after they were on board and they got through that first season, it looked like Nutt was planning to make Gus's life so miserable, he would leave on his own without Nutt having to fire him, which happened. As a Coach, who wants to work in the middle of a mess like that given all that had gone down by that time? Especially when he could go to Tulsa and be given the reins to the offense to a much greater degree without all of the drama that was surrounding Nutt's program at the time?

I'm not taking up for Gus here (and I don't want him back here), but I can understand why he left.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 07:16:40 am
As I recall Gus wasn't made aware (ahead of time) that Nutt was going to hire another OC and he would have to share time at that position and it may also be true (again, my memory is failing me) that the primary play caller was going to be the incoming Coach. It would seem apparent that Nutt only hired Gus because he was forced to do so and with him came the kids from Springdale. But after they were on board and they got through that first season, it looked like Nutt was planning to make Gus's life so miserable, he would leave on his own without Nutt having to fire him, which happened. As a Coach, who wants to work in the middle of a mess like that given all that had gone down by that time? Especially when he could go to Tulsa and be given the reins to the offense to a much greater degree without all of the drama that was surrounding Nutt's program at the time?

I'm not taking up for Gus here (and I don't want him back here), but I can understand why he left.

Agreed. There is a very simple truth here: never, ever, work for someone you do not trust.

fieldturf

It would hard for me to believe that Gus will turn us down when the season is complete.  Many on here say were going to make Gus say NO 1st then move on to Norvell...etc  But remember what Bear Bryant said "when mama calls" and looks like mama called.  So expect Gus to come home!

duckman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 18, 2017, 01:58:01 am
Sounds exactly like what MA did with Mizzou, Saban did with the Dolphins, Meyer did with Florida, etc and so on.

You don't tell your current employer you are looking for other work, but I guess there a lot of people on here that do that?

This!!!!

+10000000

Was waiting on someone to point this out, would anyone in their right mind tell their employer that they were looking at a job WITH a competitor from the same conference?  Come on PRJ.....

Gus isn't my first choice, but this in no way is a disqualifier.

ur

Quote from: fieldturf on November 18, 2017, 07:55:33 am
It would hard for me to believe that Gus will turn us down when the season is complete.  Many on here say were going to make Gus say NO 1st then move on to Norvell...etc  But remember what Bear Bryant said "when mama calls" and looks like mama called.  So expect Gus to come home!
If Gus keeps winning, how long do you wait? His season may not be complete until Jan.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: duckman on November 18, 2017, 07:56:13 am
This!!!!

+10000000

Was waiting on someone to point this out, would anyone in their right mind tell their employer that they were looking at a job WITH a competitor from the same conference?  Come on PRJ.....

Gus isn't my first choice, but this in no way is a disqualifier.

The mere fact that the talk of it happening is so widely circulated, may be one of the best reasons that it probably isn't going to happen. I don't think Gus or his agent would allow this information to get out if they were serious. And, if there has been discussions between his agent and certain parties representing Arkansas and the people from Arkansas let this get out, it could kill the deal with Malzahn. I have to think that the reason that this has been allowed to get out has less to do with Gus coming to Arkansas and more to do with a better contract at Auburn. But I guess we will see in time.
Go Hogs Go!

fieldturf

Quote from: ur on November 18, 2017, 08:04:24 am
If Gus keeps winning, how long do you wait? His season may not be complete until Jan.

If he makes the SECCG and Auburn gets beat, then he won't coach the bowl game because he'll be on the way to Ark.  Now if they make payoffs then we wait.

rhames

I can't believe I'm about to say this......

But if we can't get Gus or Novell

Get Kiffin
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 08:17:37 am

Get Kiffin

I can't believe you are saying it either. Hire Kiffin and he will be here for 2-3 years (if that long) and gone and we will be looking again. The longest he has been anywhere was USC in various capacities and who wouldn't be? Great recruiting area, great talent, high profile program, limelight.

1997–1998    Fresno State (assistant)
1999            Colorado State (GA)
2000            Jacksonville Jaguars (OQC)
2001            USC (TE)
2002–2004    USC (WR)
2005–2006    USC (PGC/OC)
2007–2008    Oakland Raiders
2009            Tennessee
2010–2013    USC
2014–2016    Alabama (OC/QB)
2017–?         Florida Atlantic
Go Hogs Go!

pghawg1

Leverage to get a raise at auburn., that what it has been from the start.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Get Kiffin
Nah. Hire Venables or Leach.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 17, 2017, 11:22:17 pm
No, it's not. Sexton is Norvell & Gus agent he pumps Gus up after a big win to get more money for Norvell.
I was referring to someone actually taking the job. I understand things get "leaked" out for leverage.

duckman

Get Kiffin

Yep but I take Kiffin over Norvell.  I am not saying I don't like Norvell but I honesty can't understand the blind love for him.  He is a HUGE gamble and with the state of our program is this the time to gamble?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 08:26:56 am
I can't believe you are saying it either. Hire Kiffin and he will be here for 2-3 years (if that long) and gone and we will be looking again. The longest he has been anywhere was USC in various capacities and who wouldn't be? Great recruiting area, great talent, high profile program, limelight.

1997–1998    Fresno State (assistant)
1999            Colorado State (GA)
2000            Jacksonville Jaguars (OQC)
2001            USC (TE)
2002–2004    USC (WR)
2005–2006    USC (PGC/OC)
2007–2008    Oakland Raiders
2009            Tennessee
2010–2013    USC
2014–2016    Alabama (OC/QB)
2017–?         Florida Atlantic
I remember when Bobby came here the biggest knock on him(at that time) was that he was a job hopper. Kiffin is the definition of a job hopper. I do believe he would have stayed at USC longer but we all know how that turned out.

TrueBlue

You have to take away the position coach changes for Kiffin - that is just the nature of the beast. Look at Arkansas.

We could get Kiffin for half of what we paid Bielema and have him earn his raises.

We would make a splash in the recruiting side of things and also get some national spotlight.

I have said it before he is a younger, better version of BP, look at FAU's offensive numbers this year.

It would be fun to be the talk of college football again.

BTW, he just ripped apart Louisiana Tech and Skip Holtz last week - it wasn't even close to a competitive game. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 18, 2017, 09:02:53 am
You have to take away the position coach changes for Kiffin - that is just the nature of the beast. Look at Arkansas.

We could get Kiffin for half of what we paid Bielema and have him earn his raises.

We would make a splash in the recruiting side of things and also get some national spotlight.

I have said it before he is a younger, better version of BP, look at FAU's offensive numbers this year.

It would be fun to be the talk of college football again.

For 2-3 years until he found another job.
Go Hogs Go!

TrueBlue

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 09:04:53 am
For 2-3 years until he found another job.

You can play it conservative, and we will always be average.

You can take a Petrino-type risk, and have a chance to be really good for a few years.

Last thing we need is a "safe" boring hire. We deserve better.

Like I said, he demolished Skip Holtz last week AT Lousiiana Tech.

If FAU played Arkansas this year, they would beat us by three touchdowns.

The Hawg Marshal

The interview with Kiffin on Gameday just now ,was like he was auditioning for a higher profile job. It was a good interview , but it's obvious he's wanting to move up.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 18, 2017, 09:06:30 am

You can take a Petrino-type risk, and have a chance to be really good for a few years.

I agree 100% with this.

PRJ

007 License To Squeal

I couldn't agree more....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

BR

After seeing Kiffin this morning on College game day... It would be interesting...   I do not want Gus...  Norvell would have to bring in a top DC to make it work.. His "D" is as bad as ours now..     Chad Morris would be real interesting. His recruiting skills in Texas, no one else mentioned is close..   Leach, Arkansas could not relate to the Pirate.. Read his book, swing the sword.. it's awesome..      Kiffin & Leach are Sevants on Offense...   Venables is that on "D"...  Hopefully whoever we get, is highly motivated.. A Great Recruiter, can have a personality that can adapt to us Razorbacks.. Plus put a staff together that wants to win at Arkansas...    Is that coach on this list, I have no clue. Maybe, it's going to be interesting... 

MuskogeeHogFan

Like I said, he demolished Skip Holtz last week AT Lousiiana Tech.

If FAU played Arkansas this year, they would beat us by three touchdowns.

I'm pretty certain that with the GOBN running things now, the last thing we are going to see is a boring hire. Now if Long were in charge of the hire, we might get boring. But with the GOBN being in charge I think that the one thing that they won't want though, is someone with a reputation for being a job hopper. I'd take Gus before I would want to see someone like Kiffin hired, and I don't want to see Gus back in Arkansas either.

One other thing about Kiffin. Where has he ever been successful as a HC or Assistant at a P-5 school that he didn't have top 10-15 talent to work with? He's not a guy who has proven that he can do more with lesser recruiting classes and FAU plays in CUSA, so not P-5.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 18, 2017, 08:04:24 am

After the ULM game, then move on ........

Matt Burks

Quote from: duckman on November 18, 2017, 08:54:54 am
Yep but I take Kiffin over Norvell.  I am not saying I don't like Norvell but I honesty can't understand the blind love for him.  He is a HUGE gamble and with the state of our program is this the time to gamble?
Norvell has a lot more experience than you are giving him credit for. He was a big time Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State for four years.

duckman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 09:22:44 am
I'm pretty certain that with the GOBN running things now, the last thing we are going to see is a boring hire. Now if Long were in charge of the hire, we might get boring. But with the GOBN being in charge I think that the one thing that they won't want though, is someone with a reputation for being a job hopper. I'd take Gus before I would want to see someone like Kiffin hired, and I don't want to see Gus back in Arkansas either.

One other thing about Kiffin. Where has he ever been successful as a HC or Assistant at a P-5 school that he didn't have top 10-15 talent to work with? He's not a guy who has proven that he can do more with lesser recruiting classes and FAU plays in CUSA, so not P-5.

It you are worried about job hopping that can be dealt with in the contract.  You ask where Kiffin has won, but tell me what Norvell has done that makes him a great hire.  I would say Norvell is a bigger gamble than anyone being considered.  Could he pay off? Sure....  Could he be a flop?  Yes... 

BR

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 18, 2017, 09:27:15 am
Norvell has a lot more experience than you are giving him credit for. He was a big time Offensive Coordinator at Arizona State for four years.
I would want to know his "DC" before we hired him.. 

BR

Kiffin said this morning, working with Saban changed his whole attitude about coaching.. They were 26-0 together..  Him working under Pete Carrol & Saban is a hell of a learning curve..

007 License To Squeal

He has ZERO SEC experience....just like our current coach did.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

GuvHog

Quote from: fieldturf on November 18, 2017, 08:10:48 am

If he makes the SECCG and Auburn gets beat, then he won't coach the bowl game because he'll be on the way to Ark.  Now if they make payoffs then we wait.

No, Arkansas will NOT wait. With the early signing period looming in late December, they cannot afford to wait. They'll want to get a new HC on the job very, very quickly to talk to recruits and solidify them to make sure they sign during that early period.  If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and goes to the SECCG, Arkansas very likely will move on and offer the job to another coach.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: duckman on November 18, 2017, 09:30:14 am
It you are worried about job hopping that can be dealt with in the contract.  You ask where Kiffin has won, but tell me what Norvell has done that makes him a great hire.  I would say Norvell is a bigger gamble than anyone being considered.  Could he pay off? Sure....  Could he be a flop?  Yes... 

I would agree that going after Norvell, no matter what success he has had in 1-3/4 years as a HC at Memphis, is just going for the latest, greatest flavor of the month before he has had sufficient time to prove that he can even sustain the Memphis program for the longer term.
Go Hogs Go!

ur

On a side note, if gus comes here, I could see auburn going after BP. With Steele staying at aub and bp having Stidham and those RBs, that will be one heck of a team, and a game when we play aub next year.

Matt Burks

I'm stealing this from a poster on another board (RT) but it's a good summation:

Personal Life
Going all the way back, he was born in Dallas, played college ball and got his coaching start at UCA, and has lots of ties to both Texas and Arkansas.  His wife's family is from Ft. Smith, he has a brother in Fayetteville, and he has a home on Beaver Lake.  This is a guy who is very familiar with not only Arkansas, but specifically Northwest Arkansas.  That is a great first step as it makes it a lot easier to sell something you believe in. 

Early Coaching Career
Now from a coaching standpoint, he comes from the Todd Graham coaching tree.  After a one year stint as a GA at UCA, he went to Tulsa where he learned the ropes of college football coaching under Graham and Malzahn.  The Graham-Gus-Norvell offensive trio were responsible for 21 wins at Tulsa from 2007-2008, shattering all sorts of school records.  Norvell's WR group featured 3 1000 yard WRs in 2007.  Tulsa also had 4 pass catchers with 8 or more TDs in 2008. 

Norvell followed Graham from Tulsa to Pitt and then to Arizona St the following year where he finally got his first chance at running the offense.  During Norvell's 4 years as OC, Arizona St went 34-18 with back to back 10 win seasons, 4 straight bowl appearances, and two top 20 finishes.  To further illustrate his responsibility for this run, ASU went 5-7 last year after he left and is 5-5 thus far this year.  He also coached QBs at ASU and is widely respected for his ability to develop signal callers. 

Graham speaks very highly of Norvell.  He has said that Norvell is the smartest assistant and best OC that has coached under him.  Now before you you just blow that statement off, remember that Graham has a coaching tree that includes Malzahn, Chad Morris, and Applewhite to name a few.

Head Coaching Career
Really the only knock on Norvell is his lack of experience as a head coach.  In his two seasons at Memphis, the Tigers are a combined 16-6 and are 1 win away from clenching their division.  This season they are 8-1.  That record would be 9-1, but they had to cancel a non-con game to reschedule their game against UCF in the wake of the Florida hurricane.  Norvell had the most wins by a first year coach in Memphis history, was the first coach to lead Memphis to a bowl in his first year, and he set several other first year records (first 3-0 start, first to win a game over a ranked opponent, etc).

The script is still being written on his 2017 team, but last year (in his first season as head coach) he had the 2nd most prolific offense in Memphis history.  Now before you go crediting that success to Justin Fuente, lets take a little deeper look at his roster.  Memphis lost its QB (Paxton Lynch) and top 2 WRs the year before Norvell arrived.  Those are some big holes to fill, yet he filled them and put up insane offensive numbers.  Beyond the offense, his 2016 defense ranked 5th nationally in forcing turnovers, and his SPECIAL TEAMS units were some of the best nationally.  Memphis averaged 27 yards per return (5th nationally), set the school record for return TDs in a season with 3 (1st nationally), allowed only 16 yards per opponent return (2nd nationally), averaged over 41 yards per punt (8th nationally), and Memphis had the first team all-conference kicker, punter, and return man in the American conference.  How refreshing to see a coach who places a huge emphasis on special teams. 

This season, as Memphis is off to an 8-1 start, 13/22 Memphis starters are actually Norvell's guys.  This number is extremely high for year two coach, but the reason is that he is bringing in talent like Memphis has never seen.  That brings me to his recruiting.

Recruiting
This is something that should get everyone very excited.  This guy is an incredible recruiter.  In his first full class at Memphis, he already signed the highest rated recruiting class in school history.  This class was also the top class of any school outside of the P5.  He has already signed 7 of the top 20 highest rated recruits in Memphis history.  Riley Ferguson was a major grab, rated the top JuCo QB nationally by some services and a guy with offers from P5 schools. 

I think a more telling stat even than the recruiting rankings are how many of "his" guys are already starting for Memphis.  Their starting QB, TB, 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 LB, and all 4 DBs are guys that were either signed by Norvell or transferred to Memphis under his watch.  Again, that is a huge number for a second year coach, and I think that is a prime example that the success he is having this year is because of him, not a result of leftover talent from Fuente.

TLDR
Mike Norvell is a young, energetic coach with ties to Arkansas, Texas, and Memphis who runs one of the most prolific offenses in the country, is a great developer of QBs, emphasizes excellent special teams, is a fantastic recruiter, and has won a lot of games at Memphis this year with mostly his own players.  With personal connections to NWA, I think this would be a destination job for him, and I do not think there is a better realistic candidate in the nation to take over as our next head coach.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 08:08:34 am
The mere fact that the talk of it happening is so widely circulated, may be one of the best reasons that it probably isn't going to happen. I don't think Gus or his agent would allow this information to get out if they were serious. And, if there has been discussions between his agent and certain parties representing Arkansas and the people from Arkansas let this get out, it could kill the deal with Malzahn. I have to think that the reason that this has been allowed to get out has less to do with Gus coming to Arkansas and more to do with a better contract at Auburn. But I guess we will see in time.

Ahh!  The old, get your buddy a raise, trick... talk about interviewing so and so, they get a new contract and announce they are staying, wala..... I hope anyway...

BR

I know we are all split on coaches.... I just Hope we dont't Hire Gus.. just my opinion. I truly believe Jimmy Sexton is playing everyone for Gus a new contract at AU..

GuvHog

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 18, 2017, 09:37:31 am
I'm stealing this from a poster on another board (RT) but it's a good summation:

Personal Life
Going all the way back, he was born in Dallas, played college ball and got his coaching start at UCA, and has lots of ties to both Texas and Arkansas.  His wife's family is from Ft. Smith, he has a brother in Fayetteville, and he has a home on Beaver Lake.  This is a guy who is very familiar with not only Arkansas, but specifically Northwest Arkansas.  That is a great first step as it makes it a lot easier to sell something you believe in. 

Early Coaching Career
Now from a coaching standpoint, he comes from the Todd Graham coaching tree.  After a one year stint as a GA at UCA, he went to Tulsa where he learned the ropes of college football coaching under Graham and Malzahn.  The Graham-Gus-Norvell offensive trio were responsible for 21 wins at Tulsa from 2007-2008, shattering all sorts of school records.  Norvell's WR group featured 3 1000 yard WRs in 2007.  Tulsa also had 4 pass catchers with 8 or more TDs in 2008. 

Norvell followed Graham from Tulsa to Pitt and then to Arizona St the following year where he finally got his first chance at running the offense.  During Norvell's 4 years as OC, Arizona St went 34-18 with back to back 10 win seasons, 4 straight bowl appearances, and two top 20 finishes.  To further illustrate his responsibility for this run, ASU went 5-7 last year after he left and is 5-5 thus far this year.  He also coached QBs at ASU and is widely respected for his ability to develop signal callers. 

Graham speaks very highly of Norvell.  He has said that Norvell is the smartest assistant and best OC that has coached under him.  Now before you you just blow that statement off, remember that Graham has a coaching tree that includes Malzahn, Chad Morris, and Applewhite to name a few.

Head Coaching Career
Really the only knock on Norvell is his lack of experience as a head coach.  In his two seasons at Memphis, the Tigers are a combined 16-6 and are 1 win away from clenching their division.  This season they are 8-1.  That record would be 9-1, but they had to cancel a non-con game to reschedule their game against UCF in the wake of the Florida hurricane.  Norvell had the most wins by a first year coach in Memphis history, was the first coach to lead Memphis to a bowl in his first year, and he set several other first year records (first 3-0 start, first to win a game over a ranked opponent, etc).

The script is still being written on his 2017 team, but last year (in his first season as head coach) he had the 2nd most prolific offense in Memphis history.  Now before you go crediting that success to Justin Fuente, lets take a little deeper look at his roster.  Memphis lost its QB (Paxton Lynch) and top 2 WRs the year before Norvell arrived.  Those are some big holes to fill, yet he filled them and put up insane offensive numbers.  Beyond the offense, his 2016 defense ranked 5th nationally in forcing turnovers, and his SPECIAL TEAMS units were some of the best nationally.  Memphis averaged 27 yards per return (5th nationally), set the school record for return TDs in a season with 3 (1st nationally), allowed only 16 yards per opponent return (2nd nationally), averaged over 41 yards per punt (8th nationally), and Memphis had the first team all-conference kicker, punter, and return man in the American conference.  How refreshing to see a coach who places a huge emphasis on special teams. 

This season, as Memphis is off to an 8-1 start, 13/22 Memphis starters are actually Norvell's guys.  This number is extremely high for year two coach, but the reason is that he is bringing in talent like Memphis has never seen.  That brings me to his recruiting.

Recruiting
This is something that should get everyone very excited.  This guy is an incredible recruiter.  In his first full class at Memphis, he already signed the highest rated recruiting class in school history.  This class was also the top class of any school outside of the P5.  He has already signed 7 of the top 20 highest rated recruits in Memphis history.  Riley Ferguson was a major grab, rated the top JuCo QB nationally by some services and a guy with offers from P5 schools. 

I think a more telling stat even than the recruiting rankings are how many of "his" guys are already starting for Memphis.  Their starting QB, TB, 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 LB, and all 4 DBs are guys that were either signed by Norvell or transferred to Memphis under his watch.  Again, that is a huge number for a second year coach, and I think that is a prime example that the success he is having this year is because of him, not a result of leftover talent from Fuente.

TLDR
Mike Norvell is a young, energetic coach with ties to Arkansas, Texas, and Memphis who runs one of the most prolific offenses in the country, is a great developer of QBs, emphasizes excellent special teams, is a fantastic recruiter, and has won a lot of games at Memphis this year with mostly his own players.  With personal connections to NWA, I think this would be a destination job for him, and I do not think there is a better realistic candidate in the nation to take over as our next head coach.

Well done Matt! How in the whole wide world could anyone read that and still not believe Mike Norvell would be a very good hire????

Todd Graham saying that Norvell is a better OC than Gus speaks major volumes.

BR

Quote from: BR on November 18, 2017, 09:32:55 am
Kiffin said this morning, working with Saban changed his whole attitude about coaching.. They were 26-0 together..  Him working under Pete Carrol & Saban is a hell of a learning curve..
https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/florida-atlantic-coach-lane-kiffin-tennessee-rumors-time-heals-everything-guess

island hog

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 18, 2017, 09:37:31 am

Personal Life

Early Coaching Career

Head Coaching Career

Recruiting

TLDR
One thing the Hogs did well in the past was recruit the greater Houston area, not as much recently.  The freshman qb starting for the Vols right now graduated with my daughter ... I have watched nearly every game of his since 9th grade and wondered if he would make it in big time college football.  Well, he was recruited by Norvell and committed to them but changed at the last minute to sign with the Vols.  If Norvell is recruiting down here like that in our neck of the woods, I'm all for him. 

Silent

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 07:16:40 am

Bingo

Danimal

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 18, 2017, 06:13:24 am

I have to disagree. The way he held those players for ransom to get the OC job was a perfect recipe for animosity within the coaching staff. The writing was on the wall from the get-go, and anyone with a lick of sense knew it was gonna get ugly .

Smashmouth2004

If you want to jump start our program and instantly help recruiting, hire Kiffin! I think he has matured and wants to build a program and see kids succeed. If we hire Leach I'll kill myself!

GuvHog

Quote from: Danimal on November 18, 2017, 10:13:27 am
I have to disagree. The way he held those players for ransom to get the OC job was a perfect recipe for animosity within the coaching staff. The writing was on the wall from the get-go, and anyone with a lick of sense knew it was gonna turn out bad .

Agreed. Also Gus coming right from coaching High School football to being named OC at Arkansas was an insult to other members of the coaching staff who had worked their butts off for years as college assistants trying to attain that status. To one who isn't wearing Gus blinders, it's easy to understand why they were highly upset about it.

riccoar

Until every team completes this week and next, everything is speculation.