Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pete Carroll says spread teams aren't preparing o-line in college for the pro's

Started by ricepig, April 27, 2016, 07:36:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

20hog11

Send this out to all of the recruits that we are after looking at spread teams as options.

DeltaBoy

With all the success Pete had over the years folks need to listen.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TNhawgfan

I guess that's why Pete called for a pass play from the one yard with Lynch in the backfield...didn't expect his line to block enough for one yard
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

SemperHawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 28, 2016, 09:30:16 am
I guess that's why Pete called for a pass play from the one yard with Lynch in the backfield...didn't expect his line to block enough for one yard
Lynch would have gotten a yard without an offensive line...That will go down as one of the worst play calls I have ever seen in any sporting event.

Atlhogfan1

"I looked at a couple guys this week, and I couldn't find a running play where a guy came off the ball and had to knock a guy off the football. There wasn't even a play in the game. It's hard to evaluate what a guy's gonna be like."

Spread offense  :puke:
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

a0ashle

QBs are less ready also... they don't have to read defenses as much, just stand up and do what the OC tells them...

DeltaBoy

FYI for our under 40 crew Pete was a Young Assistant Coach at Arkansas in the late 1970's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Fatty McGee

Well doesn't that go to the question of what the NCAA is?  Should teams be worrying about whether they are developing players for the NFL or worrying about figuring out ways to win games with offenses that work for them now.  I bet I know what college coaches think.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

atekido

Pete Knows what he is doing.  people keep assuming that lynch would have got that TD yet I've seen him get blown up in the backfield quite a few times as well. If the pass would have worked everyone would have been saying how great a call it was. if he had called a run and it got stuffed everyone would have said OHHH he should have called a play action because everyone knew he would run.

a0ashle

I like the response from the OC (I think), he said something to the effect of "not doing what everyone expects you to do is generally a good thing in this business", it would have been genius if it worked.

Atlhogfan1

Yep.  Pete took a pillow fight lineman.  Maybe they want a player backing up to block.  Not a bad athlete to coach to pass protect. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: atekido on April 29, 2016, 03:11:39 pm
Pete Knows what he is doing.  people keep assuming that lynch would have got that TD yet I've seen him get blown up in the backfield quite a few times as well. If the pass would have worked everyone would have been saying how great a call it was. if he had called a run and it got stuffed everyone would have said OHHH he should have called a play action because everyone knew he would run.
Neither of these statements is accurate.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Youngsta71701

I would say Pete Carroll is correct. I would also add that spread teams aren't preparing quarterbacks for the pro's either. Just my two cents. That's why I think Brandon Allen is more prepared for the pros than some people think.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"