Defensive backs: Taver Johnson Clay Jennings Paul Rhoads
Tight ends: Barry Lunney Jr.

Percentage of 2013-15 signees who are still on the football team:

54% Offensive linemen
57% Cornerbacks
67% Running backs, linebackers, safeties, wide receivers
75% Tight ends, defensive ends
100% Quarterbacks, defensive tackles

(For this exercise, I'm counting A.J. Derby as a tight end.)

Distribution of 2016 recruits:

4 LB
3 OL
2 DE, DT, RB, WR, S
1 CB, FB, QB, TE

This should tell you all you need to know. Arkansas had a serious need for help on the Oline and at corner. The line was depth-poor and needed a talent infusion. The Razorbacks' pass coverage in 2015 was awful. Recruiting barely addressed needs, leaving possible weak spots with few reinforcements.

Every assistant coaching position has turned over at least once since Bielema became head coach, save one -- tight ends, where Barry Lunney Jr., is an ex-Razorback. Two positions have turned over twice. Even the current group has its share of mercenaries whose loyalties are likely short.

Arkansas's incessant staff turnover contributed to inconsistent recruiting that created thin spots on the depth chart. Turnover reduces the effectiveness of recruiting. Most players don't first get to know their position coaches. They meet the assistants assigned to each geographic region. With a revolving door on the coaches' offices, Arkansas has had to hand off too many relationships, too often.

Right now, we have to wonder whether the Hogs have enough talent at several positions. The offensive line is in its sketchiest position since Bielema's first season, when he had to start two true freshmen. Running backs will have sufficient numbers, but freshmen are likely to be high in the mix after a bad run of injuries and early departures.

As long as Rhoads is around to coach the secondary, we have hope that some underperforming players could rise up and be what the Razorbacks need them to be. Early signs are good there, and D.J. Dean should be back for the fall. If we can take the secondary off the worry list, it's a big deal.

There's no way around the glaring Oline problem. Barely more than one-half of signees from the first three Bielema recruiting classes are still on the team. Seven of 13. The 13 recruits were not enough, the hit rate was poor, and one of the successes was a junior college transfer who is done. Denver Kirkland worsened the situation by foolishly departing early. He faces the possibility of not even being drafted.

The roster has no quick solutions. The team does not have five Olinemen who are experienced enough to know their assignments. Don't be surprised if more shuffling occurs.

The most experienced center is the most experienced guard, Frank Ragnow. He started a handful of games at center as a freshman.

No one currently playing guard has ever started there. One intended starter, Hjalte Froholdt, learned football in Denmark and never played on the Oline. The other, Brian Wallace, had all his college experience at right tackle until very recently. He hardly got any spring reps due to injuries.

Jalen Merrick practiced last season at left guard but decided he wanted to play on the right side, and the only spot available was backup right tackle. Reserve guard Deion Malone played tackle in junior college and high school. First in line as reserve guard is Zach Rogers, the second-team center. Freshman signee Jake Heinrich is coming off surgery for an injury, but he is working as though he has a chance to start. That might be accurate.

The left tackle job is nominally in the hands of redshirt freshman Colton Jackson from Conway, but he will be pushed by juco transfer Paul Ramirez. Third-year walk-on Johnny Gibson from Dumas was the second-teamer in spring. One has to wonder whether he belongs at tackle, or guard.

Arkansas faces some tough choices. It's not as easy as choosing the five players who know how to execute plays together. Those five do not exist. The coaching staff could decide to slot everyone in his natural position, or ask some to adapt to the team's needs.

That is what the choice seemed to be with Wallace, who knows right tackle better than anything else but was stuck behind senior Dan Skipper. Wallace was at left tackle about long enough to inhale and exhale before being moved to guard. Jackson is a natural LT prospect but is far from being able to handle the job. He'll eventually get there - maybe not in time for 2016.

The real challenge is for Arkansas to have its offensive line and running game in decent shape by Saturday, Sept. 24, the SEC opener against Texas A&M.

The Porkers blew great chances to beat the Aggies in the past two meetings. In 2014, the OT loss was part of an 0-5 start to the SEC schedule. Last season, the flub kept the Hogs from starting out the SEC slate 3-1.

The tantalizing setup in 2016 -- aTm at friendly Arlington, pushover then Alabama and Ole Miss at home, road trip to Auburn, home for Florida and LSU after an off week. That's an open invitation to jump right into the middle of the SEC race.

This isn't the year to treat the Oline as on-the-job training. Expect a lot of changes between now and late September. The five who make the least mistakes together will start, as will the QB who is best at keeping the team out of trouble.
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

The good news is that virtually all the O-linemen were 4-star recruits.  They certainly passed the eye-test physically in the Spring game.  Arkansas has been very lucky the past couple of years where injuries on the O-line are concerned.  Consequently, the new guys have little experience.  This group will be very good in time, hopefully in time to take advantage of the most favorable conference schedule in a while.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

a0ashle

I think the bare minimum we need is for the Oline to play at a consistent level... even if that level isn't the greatest, it allows the coaches to know their strengths and weakness and provide help in those places... consistency is the goal with this young line, after they get that, then its all about pure skill improvement.

nwahogfan1

Good Thoughts.  Thanks for putting them on paper.

From reading all the sporting reports, listening to coaches and players plus watching the scrimmage I think we have a good team.  Unfortunately we would love a great team but just too many question marks.  Fortunately most teams have question marks. 

Here is the grades I give our positions going into the fall.

Offense   B-.    I think our offense will be a little bit better than serviceable but not great.  I am thinking we will score around 28 to 30 ppg especially if the OL can come on and the defense is as good as I hope and they can give us come good field position with some 3 and outs and TOs.

QB:  B    I think AA should be a very serviceable QB.
WRs  A   Loaded with lots of experienced.  Should be leaders.
RBs   B   If Williams and Walker are healthy and Whaley is ready we will be good here
OL    C   Scares me to death.  We have talent but mostly inexperienced.  With so many position changes it means the coaches are searching for answers.  I can not  too excited from watching the spring game but maybe it was because our DL is pretty darn good.   If we pick up the blitzes I think they will be pretty good pass blockers.  It is hard for tall guys to bend and be great run blockers so running might be suspect for a while.  I really think Anderson is a good coach so with more practices and more pieces added in the Fall I am really hoping for this position to pop sooner than later.   Also Enos is a smart coach and his play calling will try to fit the strengths of the team.

Defense.   B+  I really think we can hold teams under 21 ppg this  I think this unit will be much stronger than last year and if we are to win early it will have to be.  I am basing this on several reasons. We have 9 returning starters, better depth, more experienced talent especially on the DL and better position coaching especially from what I am hearing about coach Rhoads.  Great hire but unfortunately probable a short hire. 

DL:   A or A+ depending on depth.   Very talented and depth unit.  I love moving Ledbetter inside.  Gives us an inside speed rush.  We are very talented and deep at DE.  Gets our best players on the field.  We should be able to have a good speed rush on the outside plus stop the run.   This is not their first rodeo so I am hoping for some great things from this unit.

LB:   B   Good unit and I say about time.  Finally  good talent with experience plus some good depth.  This unit may surprise me and get bumped up.  I like the pieces we have added and they are getting good coaching.  I think Coach Hargraves is a great fit.   

DB:  C+ or B-  I am thinking this unit will make a big jump this year.  We are hearing great things.  I think the talent is there plus I am hearing great news about Coach Rhoads.  With improved pass rush and help from LBs I am expecting our DBs to be the most improved position on the team.  I am hoping I can bump this unit up a grade .

2016 Record.  8-5

But I can see us also only winning 6 games or I could see us winning as many as 10 games. Lots of factors.   Should make it for a fun year in College footfall.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 25, 2016, 09:23:08 am
The good news is that virtually all the O-linemen were 4-star recruits.  They certainly passed the eye-test physically in the Spring game.  Arkansas has been very lucky the past couple of years where injuries on the O-line are concerned.  Consequently, the new guys have little experience.  This group will be very good in time, hopefully in time to take advantage of the most favorable conference schedule in a while.

Some players need less experience than others do, to learn their assignments and recognize what defenses do. That seems to be part of what's going on. Need more quick learners. They will step to the front of the line.
[CENSORED]!

JIHawg

There's too much OL coaching expertise on this staff and enough players to plug in and enough time-I can't imagine, barring a rash of injuries, that we won't be ready by the TAM game, which is the start of the 2nd season.

hawgXi

Quote from: JIHawg on April 25, 2016, 08:18:42 pm
There's too much OL coaching expertise on this staff and enough players to plug in and enough time-I can't imagine, barring a rash of injuries, that we won't be ready by the TAM game, which is the start of the 2nd season.

so what are you guys feeling about the kicking game?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JIHawg

Quote from: hawgXi on April 26, 2016, 07:28:04 am

One thing I really like about Bielema, he recognizes/acknowledges problems when they exist, and the field goal unit was a problem area.  We had four blocks last year, two of which cost us a game.  My sense is that he has addressed this by shoring up the line on this team and having the kicker kick higher.

Our starter had a rough day Saturday but he did only miss one field goal all of spring practice.  I feel this area will definitely be better next year.

The punter is booming them.

Kick off coverage-haven't heard much about this.

Kick off returns-same.

Kicking off the ball in the end zone-I don't know if this is an objective or not.  I haven't heard that we have somebody who can do this yet.

lumphog

WOW.....some good info in this thread....Kudos guys

lumphog

I agree with THIS...The O-Line will surprise us & be VERY good and AA will do what he always does, follow big brother & IMPRESS!!! "THIS" year has a lot of potential..... Good year to be a HOG FAN

Peter Porker

I still believe Pittman torpedoed us last season, on the field and recruiting.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 25, 2016, 08:58:31 am
Head coach: Bret Bielema
Offensive coordinator: Jim Chaney Dan Enos
Defensive coordinator: Chris Ash Robb Smith
Offensive line: Sam Pittman Kurt Anderson
Defensive line: Charlie Partridge Rory Segrest
Running backs: Joel Thomas Jemal Singleton Reggie Mitchell
Linebackers: Randy Shannon Vernon Hargreaves
Wide receivers: George McDonald Michael Smith
Defensive backs: Taver Johnson Clay Jennings Paul Rhoads
Tight ends: Barry Lunney Jr.
So we only have one coach remaining that was here when Coach B got here?! That's crazy and explains why consistency has been so hard to come by.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

razorback44

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2016, 09:23:29 am
So we only have one coach remaining that was here when Coach B got here?! That's crazy and explains why consistency has been so hard to come by.

I would say there are two original coaches still here. George McDonald was here long enough for a cup of coffee. Michael Smith had already replaced him on staff before Bielema's first signing day here.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 26, 2016, 09:20:18 am
I still believe Pittman torpedoed us last season, on the field and recruiting.

Marshall was in his recruiting area, we didn't pick him up until Sam was gone.
This is my non-signature signature.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2016, 09:23:29 am

You know this was not what Bielema was talking about when he said he thought Arkansas would allow him to retain staff better than he did at Wisconsin.

Some of this turnover stemmed from something that's hard for anyone to prepare for -- the sudden need to hire a new staff at another job.

Bielema wasn't positioned to transplant his Wisconsin staff to Arkansas, and those that did move with him didn't stay long. Hires like Chaney, Pittman, Shannon were obviously mercenaries who were unlikely to stay very long. The current staff is an interesting mix, but IMO it's not optimized for recruiting of blue-chip talent. More for talent evaluation and development.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 26, 2016, 10:21:05 am
You know this was not what Bielema was talking about when he said he thought Arkansas would allow him to retain staff better than he did at Wisconsin.

Some of this turnover stemmed from something that's hard for anyone to prepare for -- the sudden need to hire a new staff at another job.

Bielema wasn't positioned to transplant his Wisconsin staff to Arkansas, and those that did move with him didn't stay long. Hires like Chaney, Pittman, Shannon were obviously mercenaries who were unlikely to stay very long. The current staff is an interesting mix, but IMO it's not optimized for recruiting of blue-chip talent. More for talent evaluation and development.

I agree assistant coaches are just way more mobile now days.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 26, 2016, 10:53:00 am
I agree assistant coaches are just way more mobile now days.
That's why I'm glad they're putting in those non SEC clauses in the contracts.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsfan31

I think a lot of it was blocking last season, and the other half was the kick was too low. He seems to have fixed the height of his kicks, hopefully it will be much improved.

hogsfan31

If Jackson can come along quickly at LT, how great that would be for us. We'd have him at least 3 years there.

I have confidence they'll get it figured out and be ready to go. Froholdt already looks like a beast on the line, not worried about Ragnow or Skipper.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsfan31 on April 26, 2016, 12:34:15 pm
If Jackson can come along quickly at LT, how great that would be for us. We'd have him at least 3 years there.

I have confidence they'll get it figured out and be ready to go. Froholdt already looks like a beast on the line, not worried about Ragnow or Skipper.

That's what gives me some solace. The coaches won't stand for the Oline to remain in the condition it was in during the spring. More players are coming, and they will find the five who work best together.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

I fear that CBB sighs heavily this year when the LSU game film hits the coaches' offices, lamenting that UA was almost gifted Toby Weathersby and Pittman let him slip through his grasp.

The OL situation is not helped by a lack of a blocking-first TE who also can execute route trees as a receiver. I gave Henry a lot of grief early last year but his blocking was first rate down the stretch. We needed it, and we will need it again this year. I am comfortable with Sprinkle, although he was the "speed TE" last year, being our "blocking TE" this year. We sure need a pup to step up.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

longpig

That we'll avoid using it, just not as much as we did the last two seasons.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 27, 2016, 12:16:13 pm
I fear that CBB sighs heavily this year when the LSU game film hits the coaches' offices, lamenting that UA was almost gifted Toby Weathersby and Pittman let him slip through his grasp.

The OL situation is not helped by a lack of a blocking-first TE who also can execute route trees as a receiver. I gave Henry a lot of grief early last year but his blocking was first rate down the stretch. We needed it, and we will need it again this year. I am comfortable with Sprinkle, although he was the "speed TE" last year, being our "blocking TE" this year. We sure need a pup to step up.

Well, I watched Weathersby in several of their games last year, he played like a freshman. I'm not saying that I didn't and don't still want him, just that he struggled when put out on the island at OT. We definitely need our OT's to more than hold their own.

longpig

Quote from: hogsfan31 on April 26, 2016, 12:31:16 pm
I think a lot of it was blocking last season, and the other half was the kick was too low. He seems to have fixed the height of his kicks, hopefully it will be much improved.

I believe Segrest said we scooted the hold back a yard to get more height, too.  He must think we've improved protection to do that.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hogman64

I agree that is way to much worrying about the OLine.  Our head coach has a very consistent track record in that department and by A&M we will have a good OLINe... that entire post about the OLIne was written from a worst case bleak scenario.  Sometimes the worst does happen , but I doubt it in this case....The talent with  the guys we have is good.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogman64 on April 27, 2016, 12:51:58 pm
I agree that is way to much worrying about the OLine.  Our head coach has a very consistent track record in that department and by A&M we will have a good OLINe... that entire post about the OLIne was written from a worst case bleak scenario.  Sometimes the worst does happen , but I doubt it in this case....The talent with  the guys we have is good.

No, far from a worst-case scenario. You don't even want to go there.

This group of offensive players has a strength - passing. Except for the pass protection.

The group of Olinemen has a strength - run blocking, if anything. But the running game is going to be a rebuild at best. And - all those receivers, hey!

This is the ebbing point for the Oline depth chart maybe, but you also could very well face the departure of Skipper and Ragnow after this season. They you'd be talking about two second-year jucos, Froholdt, Wallace, Rogers and Gibson as the upperclassmen. With maybe eight underclassmen.

The offensive line was supposed to have 15+ in the pipeline. Gonna need a couple of walk-ons to reach a dozen this season. Does someone like Austin Capps move over?

For comparison, here was Arkansas's first depth chart in late August 2013.

LT:
David Hurd (6-6, 318, Sr.)
Dan Skipper (6-10, 317, Fr.)

LG:
Mitch Smothers (6-4, 315, So.)
Austin Beck (6-7, 305, So.)

C:
Travis Swanson (6-5, 315, Sr.)
Luke Charpentier (6-4, 316, Jr.)

RG:
Brey Cook (6-7, 330, Jr.)
Cordale Boyd (6-3, 310, RFr.)

RT:
Grady Ollison (6-5, 307, So.)
Denver Kirkland (6-5, 345, Fr.)

Amazing, right? Here was the season-ending Oline (which started from game five on).

LT David Hurd (sr)
LG Dan Skipper (fr)
C Travis Swanson (sr)
RG Denver Kirkland (fr)
RT Brey Cook (jr)

Arkansas would love to be able to build around two seniors and a junior. Skipper is the only senior. Ragnow is joined in the junior class by jucos Malone and Ramirez. The sophomore class is rife with inexperience - Froholdt, Gibson, Rogers, Wallace. Freshmen and redshirts - Heinrich, Jackson, Merrick. If you want, you can include soph Hannah, redshirt Harvey, redshirt, Sone, but it's more of the same.

This situation isn't even as good as 2013. Do you understand?
[CENSORED]!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 27, 2016, 01:33:18 pm
No, far from a worst-case scenario. You don't even want to go there.

This group of offensive players has a strength - passing. Except for the pass protection.

The group of Olinemen has a strength - run blocking, if anything. But the running game is going to be a rebuild at best. And - all those receivers, hey!

This is the ebbing point for the Oline depth chart maybe, but you also could very well face the departure of Skipper and Ragnow after this season. They you'd be talking about two second-year jucos, Froholdt, Wallace, Rogers and Gibson as the upperclassmen. With maybe eight underclassmen.

The offensive line was supposed to have 15+ in the pipeline. Gonna need a couple of walk-ons to reach a dozen this season. Does someone like Austin Capps move over?

For comparison, here was Arkansas's first depth chart in late August 2013.

LT:
David Hurd (6-6, 318, Sr.)
Dan Skipper (6-10, 317, Fr.)

LG:
Mitch Smothers (6-4, 315, So.)
Austin Beck (6-7, 305, So.)

C:
Travis Swanson (6-5, 315, Sr.)
Luke Charpentier (6-4, 316, Jr.)

RG:
Brey Cook (6-7, 330, Jr.)
Cordale Boyd (6-3, 310, RFr.)

RT:
Grady Ollison (6-5, 307, So.)
Denver Kirkland (6-5, 345, Fr.)

Amazing, right? Here was the season-ending Oline (which started from game five on).

LT David Hurd (sr)
LG Dan Skipper (fr)
C Travis Swanson (sr)
RG Denver Kirkland (fr)
RT Brey Cook (jr)

Arkansas would love to be able to build around two seniors and a junior. Skipper is the only senior. Ragnow is joined in the junior class by jucos Malone and Ramirez. The sophomore class is rife with inexperience - Froholdt, Gibson, Rogers, Wallace. Freshmen and redshirts - Heinrich, Jackson, Merrick. If you want, you can include soph Hannah, redshirt Harvey, redshirt, Sone, but it's more of the same.

This situation isn't even as good as 2013. Do you understand?

Agree with your OL assessment.
Even if everything works out great, it won't be because that was the master plan.  It will be due to a good bit of luck.

The numbers, etc just don't work out well.

To your point on Denver Kirkland......I will not wish him anything but good luck.
However, I hope his poor draft/no draft becomes a cautionary tale on how you should discuss with your coach what the scouting feedback is saying.  Especially so when you have a coach like BB who appears to be quite fair with regards to the well being of the player (see AC and HH with regards to this). Kirkland chose to skip his meeting with BB and apparently was dead set on going pro regardless the outcome.
Yep.
Cautionary Tale.
Barring massive luck with a team being in love with him, his foolish choice hurt everyone - himself, the team, the coaching staff.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

JIHawg

Have you wondered why the coaches moved Wallace to guard?  If we were in such desperate shape at tackle, would they have done that?  This to me is a little insight into the coaches thinking, that things are not as bad at tackle as some on here think.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JIHawg on April 27, 2016, 09:58:55 pm
Have you wondered why the coaches moved Wallace to guard?  If we were in such desperate shape at tackle, would they have done that?  This to me is a little insight into the coaches thinking, that things are not as bad at tackle as some on here think.

They moved him because he was lost at left tackle and thought he would fit better inside. Not because the situation was great at left tackle. Already been covered.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2016, 12:32:21 pm
Well, I watched Weathersby in several of their games last year, he played like a freshman. I'm not saying that I didn't and don't still want him, just that he struggled when put out on the island at OT. We definitely need our OT's to more than hold their own.
They're gonna have to hold, and hold often.  Hopefully, they won't get called for it too often, or AA  will have to roll away from the pressure to take advantage of possibly the best/deepest receiving corps we've ever had. 

I just don't know if the pocket is going to be there, with all these question marks on the OL this season.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 27, 2016, 10:03:56 pm
They moved him because he was lost at left tackle and thought he would fit better inside. Not because the situation was great at left tackle. Already been covered.

Already been covered as in surmised by hogville or confirmed by someone with first hand observations of practice?

presidenthog

this line would have been alot better if Denver kirkland hadn't taken off and declared for the draft only to probably not get drafted. he might but in the 6th or 7th round.