Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Spin View of Spring Scrimmage

Started by HankHog, April 25, 2016, 08:52:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: TM Hog on April 25, 2016, 02:44:28 pm
I've always been impressed with Evans.  If he ever gets in sync and plays a lot look out.  He could be one of our top backs.

With all due respect to Evans, I have to disagree with this. I don't see him as ever being a leading back for us.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Seebs on April 25, 2016, 12:06:48 pm
My unbiased review to your unbiased Review

- You can't really tell if the defense is great or not because they were going against 2's and 3's all day. Actually one can. The Defense looked good.
- Brooks Ellis still over ran plays and was out of position on most plays.  Just like last year. Nope. He may have had a hiccup but out of positon MOST plays? Yeah, I think you confuse unbiased with glaucoma.
- Dre Greenlaw looked good.  He was filling holes quickly. Yes. He was good last year as well. This is not news.
- Randy Ramsey looked skinny and didn't do a whole lot. Randy Ramsey will beat your butt at the Alma sonic with only using his pinky. You are deranged
- Agim is very good.  He took Skipper to the woodshed multiple times. If you rate him as very good, I assume that Brooklyn Decker is a 4 on your scale.  Your ability to be uninformed does not make you unbiased.  Agim may be the top DE out there
- Austin Allen locked on to receivers at the line of scrimmage and never let go.  So bad I could hear others around us talking about it. You may be greasy, but you are not Bob Griese
- Allen's arm strength to the edge of the field looked very weak at times.  In a real game he would have had multiple interceptions on Saturday. So the Arkansas defense was not a real defense with real SEC cornerbacks? You have now put the Anal in analysis.
- Rafe Peavey is not that far behind Allen.  Arm strength is close to equal.  You can see that he can run and has a burst of speed. Peavey is as close to Allen as a mastectomy is to a purple nurple. Allen is ahead and Peavey brings something different - speed. You are unbiasedly wrong here
- Ty Storey is not even close.  When he threw his first ball Saturday there was a collective moan in the area we were sitting. His throwing motion looks bad. His arm motion has always been 'shot-putty'. If you just noticed you are not following Arkansas football.
- Couldn't tell much about Town, he only got one quick series. Thanks Copernicus.
- Allen and Peavey are 1 and 2 and the others aren't even close This is very Robert Shields like. Hrmmmmm ...
- The kicking is still the kicking of last year.  Hedlund is still driving his long kicks.  McFain has the best leg he just needs to get more accurate. So the kicking has not improved per the several field goals made in the Spring game? The fact he made more than half is an improvement
- Running Back Denzel Evans looked pretty good.  I hope they give him a shot this fall. Evans' shot will only be this spring. If he gets more than 15 total carries this year we are in bad shape. Evans is behind, Hammonds, Whaley, Day, RWIII, MItchell  and Walker He is a 7th stringer and a good kid. Hoping for a shot is not unbiased - its rah-rah
- Skipper has got to get a wider base with his height.  He gets off balance and gets beat easily when that happens. Finally, someone that can assis ta four-year SEC starter. The gall of some of you is astounding. You need to widen your stance when you pee.
- Froholdt looked OK at guard.  He has put on the weight.  He is very competitive and won't back down.  That is good. Candygram for Mongo. Mongo like candy.  Your take on the game is like asking my 8-year-old about stem cell research. It was entertaining but not informative at all.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Razorbackers

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 25, 2016, 03:06:33 pm
With all due respect to Evans, I have to disagree with this. I don't see him as ever being a leading back for us.

He'll be 4th or 5th on the depth chart this year behind Walker, Williams, Whaley, and Mitchell.

bennyl08

Quote from: TM Hog on April 25, 2016, 02:44:28 pm
I've always been impressed with Evans.  If he ever gets in sync and plays a lot look out.  He could be one of our top backs.

Before last season, I'd always compared Evans with Morgan. Both are guys who can get the job done if you ask them to. It is just that you hope to have players who are better that you can ask.

I mean, Morgan needed Hatcher, Hollister, and Cornelius to all go down before he even had a sniff of regular playing time. That said, upon seeing him get that playing time, it was clear I underestimated his athleticism. Now, from a purely physical standpoint, I'd still take Reed, Cornelius, Hatcher, and probably Stewart and Pettway (I haven't been able to see the spring game and what everybody is talking about with Hollister yet since it isn't anywhere for free yet). However, Morgan is undoubtably reliable and dependable and somebody BA who's only rival in trust from BA was Henry.

Back to Evans, from his HS tape which is really all I have to go on and so far validated by previous spring games and extremely limited carries is that Evans has no weakness as a rb. It is just that he has no real strengths either. Instead, he's a guy who, when he carries the ball, you don't hold your breath. You don't hold your breath in fear that something bad will happen with him in the game, but you also don't hold your breath with anticipation that he's going to break a 40 yard run either. Just solid, dependable play.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

thebignasty

Quote from: Kevin on April 25, 2016, 10:05:21 am
20 to 25 years ago the spring game did mean something as far as a barometer of your team.
now days, just a scripted practice for the fans, and the university to make a little coin on a Saturday afternoon in April
How much do you think they make on it?

thebignasty

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 25, 2016, 12:54:23 pm
how did everyone miss that beautiful ball Town threw to end the game?
I feel like "beautiful ball" is hyperbole here.  It was fine. Bell was really open. He caught it backpedaling.  Any of the 4 qbs we have ought to be able to easily make that throw.   Not saying Town isn't talented- just not sure that throw is a work of art unless you really really want it to be.

GolfnHog

Quote from: AP85 on April 25, 2016, 10:54:02 am
What was the official attendance?

Looked like a typical Saturday at DWRRS in there.

And how many Saturdays are you at DWRRS to assist in those numbers or is it you strive to be all blow and no go?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

HoopS

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 25, 2016, 10:32:18 am
I have to disagree with you on is Evans. He looked okay, and he had one really nice run, but he only averaged 3.2 ypc. If KW had been healthy and/or RW had been cleared for full contact, I don't think we would have seen much of him Saturday. Once DW and TJ get on campus, I don't think we'll hear much more about him. I could be wrong, and I hope I am; I hope he shows out. I just haven't seen anything from him that gives me reason to believe that he will.
in fairness -- you also have to add in the two runs inside the 1 that hurt his YPC.

I really don't believe you will see anyone but Austin Allen starting a game for Arkansas this coming season unless Austin gets really bad hurt, I mean like he cannot stand up hurt.  I further don't think you will see a ready to play #2 or #3.  I doubt you will see much shift in #2 through #4 unless one of them gets hurt somehow.  We do not have a history of schooling non starting QBs even in the Spring and there is no reason to see that changing come Fall practice.  All our eggs are in Austin's basket so I hope he can excel.

searkhogfan

Quote from: Seebs on April 25, 2016, 12:06:48 pm
My unbiased review to your unbiased Review

- You can't really tell if the defense is great or not because they were going against 2's and 3's all day. Actually one can. The Defense looked good.
- Brooks Ellis still over ran plays and was out of position on most plays.  Just like last year. Nope. He may have had a hiccup but out of positon MOST plays? Yeah, I think you confuse unbiased with glaucoma.
- Dre Greenlaw looked good.  He was filling holes quickly. Yes. He was good last year as well. This is not news.
- Randy Ramsey looked skinny and didn't do a whole lot. Randy Ramsey will beat your butt at the Alma sonic with only using his pinky. You are deranged
- Agim is very good.  He took Skipper to the woodshed multiple times. If you rate him as very good, I assume that Brooklyn Decker is a 4 on your scale.  Your ability to be uninformed does not make you unbiased.  Agim may be the top DE out there
- Austin Allen locked on to receivers at the line of scrimmage and never let go.  So bad I could hear others around us talking about it. You may be greasy, but you are not Bob Griese
- Allen's arm strength to the edge of the field looked very weak at times.  In a real game he would have had multiple interceptions on Saturday. So the Arkansas defense was not a real defense with real SEC cornerbacks? You have now put the Anal in analysis.
- Rafe Peavey is not that far behind Allen.  Arm strength is close to equal.  You can see that he can run and has a burst of speed. Peavey is as close to Allen as a mastectomy is to a purple nurple. Allen is ahead and Peavey brings something different - speed. You are unbiasedly wrong here
- Ty Storey is not even close.  When he threw his first ball Saturday there was a collective moan in the area we were sitting. His throwing motion looks bad. His arm motion has always been 'shot-putty'. If you just noticed you are not following Arkansas football.
- Couldn't tell much about Town, he only got one quick series. Thanks Copernicus.
- Allen and Peavey are 1 and 2 and the others aren't even close This is very Robert Shields like. Hrmmmmm ...
- The kicking is still the kicking of last year.  Hedlund is still driving his long kicks.  McFain has the best leg he just needs to get more accurate. So the kicking has not improved per the several field goals made in the Spring game? The fact he made more than half is an improvement
- Running Back Denzel Evans looked pretty good.  I hope they give him a shot this fall. Evans' shot will only be this spring. If he gets more than 15 total carries this year we are in bad shape. Evans is behind, Hammonds, Whaley, Day, RWIII, MItchell  and Walker He is a 7th stringer and a good kid. Hoping for a shot is not unbiased - its rah-rah
- Skipper has got to get a wider base with his height.  He gets off balance and gets beat easily when that happens. Finally, someone that can assis ta four-year SEC starter. The gall of some of you is astounding. You need to widen your stance when you pee.
- Froholdt looked OK at guard.  He has put on the weight.  He is very competitive and won't back down.  That is good. Candygram for Mongo. Mongo like candy.  Your take on the game is like asking my 8-year-old about stem cell research. It was entertaining but not informative at all.

Possibly my Favorite post of all time...   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

AirWarren

Quote from: GolfnHog on April 25, 2016, 05:01:24 pm
And how many Saturdays are you at DWRRS to assist in those numbers or is it you strive to be all blow and no go?

None. I'm also not one of the clam wads that think we need "expansion". I can see the empty seats on my big screen.

HamSammich

Quote from: HankHog on April 25, 2016, 08:52:17 am
Non Biased observations from the spring game.

- You can't really tell if the defense is great or not because they were going against 2's and 3's all day
- Brooks Ellis still over ran plays and was out of position on most plays.  Just like last year
- Dre Greenlaw looked good.  He was filling holes quickly.
- Randy Ramsey looked skinny and didn't do a whole lot.
- Agim is very good.  He took Skipper to the woodshed multiple times.
- Austin Allen locked on to receivers at the line of scrimmage and never let go.  So bad I could hear others around us talking about it.
- Allen's arm strength to the edge of the field looked very weak at times.  In a real game he would have had multiple interceptions on Saturday.
- Rafe Peavey is not that far behind Allen.  Arm strength is close to equal.  You can see that he can run and has a burst of speed.
- Ty Storey is not even close.  When he threw his first ball Saturday there was a collective moan in the area we were sitting. His throwing motion looks bad.
- Couldn't tell much about Town, he only got one quick series.
- Allen and Peavey are 1 and 2 and the others aren't even close
- The kicking is still the kicking of last year.  Hedlund is still driving his long kicks.  McFain has the best leg he just needs to get more accurate.
- Running Back Denzel Evans looked pretty good.  I hope they give him a shot this fall.
- Skipper has got to get a wider base with his height.  He gets off balance and gets beat easily when that happens.
- Froholdt looked OK at guard.  He has put on the weight.  He is very competitive and won't back down.  That is good

The good part is there is still time to continue to improve.  The 3rd quarterback is wide open if the kid from Louisiana wants to come in and take it.  Looking forward to seeing how the new linebackers fill in.  I was personally disappointed in the crowd with it being such a beautiful day.

I agree about Allen. But the scheme will save him like it did his brother. AA will have a great season. Jimo

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on April 25, 2016, 09:53:50 pm
None. I'm also not one of the clam wads that think we need "expansion". I can see the empty seats on my big screen.

Do you see empty seats in the suites?

Porked Tongue

Austin Allen locked on to receivers at the line of scrimmage and never let go.  So bad I could hear others around us talking about it.

This crap again?  You have no idea what all was going on or what they want him to do on each play.  IT IS PRACTICE!

I swear some people have PhD's in armchair coaching.

And this one?

Biased observations from the spring game.
- Brooks Ellis still over ran plays and was out of position on most plays.  Just like last year

Robert Shields has better observation skills.

razorback44

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2016, 09:59:28 pm
Do you see empty seats in the suites?

Somehow folks can't grasp that premium endzone seats are vastly different than ** nose bleed seats.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

31to6

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 25, 2016, 12:57:05 pm
If throwing were the only thing the QB has to do, you might have a prayer of being right. As it is, you don't, not without a battlefield promotion.
No kidding. Town starting would be the result of a meltdown of epic proportions.

Even if he is so talented it starts to make some kind of sense, he can't even get the bus in gear, let alone drive it at this point.

It is worth noting that CBB started 3 different QBs in 2012, including starting RS-FR Stave for several games.

The_Iceman

Youngsta71701

Non Biased observations from the spring game.

- You can't really tell if the defense is great or not because they were going against 2's and 3's all day
- Dre Greenlaw looked good.  He was filling holes quickly.
- Randy Ramsey looked skinny and didn't do a whole lot.
- Agim is very good.  He took Skipper to the woodshed multiple times.
- Austin Allen locked on to receivers at the line of scrimmage and never let go.  So bad I could hear others around us talking about it.
- Allen's arm strength to the edge of the field looked very weak at times.  In a real game he would have had multiple interceptions on Saturday.
- Rafe Peavey is not that far behind Allen.  Arm strength is close to equal.  You can see that he can run and has a burst of speed.
- Ty Storey is not even close.  When he threw his first ball Saturday there was a collective moan in the area we were sitting. His throwing motion looks bad.
- Couldn't tell much about Town, he only got one quick series.
- Allen and Peavey are 1 and 2 and the others aren't even close
- The kicking is still the kicking of last year.  Hedlund is still driving his long kicks.  McFain has the best leg he just needs to get more accurate.
- Running Back Denzel Evans looked pretty good.  I hope they give him a shot this fall.
- Skipper has got to get a wider base with his height.  He gets off balance and gets beat easily when that happens.
- Froholdt looked OK at guard.  He has put on the weight.  He is very competitive and won't back down.  That is good

The good part is there is still time to continue to improve.  The 3rd quarterback is wide open if the kid from Louisiana wants to come in and take it.  Looking forward to seeing how the new linebackers fill in.  I was personally disappointed in the crowd with it being such a beautiful day.
I thought about this too. Then I thought about the fact that tournament baseball is pretty big in Arkansas at this time. Especially USSSA. So that may have been the reason why a lot of fans didn't show up. JMO though. :razorback:
I do agree that Allen locked in on receivers at times but his arm strength looked pretty good to me and he was pretty accurate.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 25, 2016, 01:10:39 pm
McTelvin (Sosa) Agim, or whatever he and CBB have cooked up for a name for the DE from Hope, AR. I can say unequivocally that this young man, barring injury (heaven forbid), or some unseen event which keeps him off the field, #3 was the baddest hombre on the field. There are going to be some Quarterbacks in the SEC who are going to get knocked to queer street by this guy and then when they finally come to their senses, they are going to tell their OL coach that #3 should be double teamed every time. McTelvin plays with a motor fueled by a rage that is going to bring the pain to SEC offenses for the next 3 years. The likes of him have not been seen in these parts since Billy Ray Smith, Jr. The difference between Billy Ray and McTelvin,  Billy Ray played the game for the fun of it, McTelvin plays the game to put a hurtin' on somebody on the other team every play he is out there. The next three years are going to be filled with much pleasure watching a homegrown kid from Arkansas literally dominate SEC offenses. I can't wait until they unleash McTelvin upon Alabama. It's going to be a beautiful sight to witness. McTelvin is to defense what Darren McFadden was to Arkansas offense. Picture this, the speed and hitting ability of Steve Atwater, the football smarts of Billy Ray Smith, and the sheer rage of Dennis "Dirt" Winston. Spin ?   I don't care. McTelvin has the total package. 4 Star DE my asss. This kid is a 6 star.
I think it's safe to say that you really like McTelvin Agim. ;D

woodhog14

Quote from: AP85 on April 25, 2016, 09:53:50 pm

Obviously you don't understand that the expansion is for the demand of premium seats. The whole North End Zone expansion is going to be premium seats besides the Standing Room Only section. Those club seats will sell out because there is a demand for them.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2016, 11:06:38 am
I thought about this too. Then I thought about the fact that tournament baseball is pretty big in Arkansas at this time. Especially USSSA. So that may have been the reason why a lot of fans didn't show up. JMO though. :razorback:
I do agree that Allen locked in on receivers at times but his arm strength looked pretty good to me and he was pretty accurate.

So here is another one who sits in the stands or watches on tv to ascertain AA is locking onto receivers. Unbelievable how some of you think. Once in for all you cannot see this from the stands or tv.

You have to be directly in front of the QB to see where his eyes are. The direction of his head doesn't mean much. Sorry if this seems over the top but had to read for two years about this crap with BA. I sure as heck hope you jokers don't hang around for two years spouting this "he locking in on receivers."

Have a great day.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 25, 2016, 10:07:30 pm
This crap again?  You have no idea what all was going on or what they want him to do on each play.  IT IS PRACTICE!

Yes, I've read several geniuses on different boards make this "locking in on receivers" observation, like they know the slightest thing about what they are watching.

Let's just say that - in a Red-White game - it is conceivable that the QB is asked to throw a particular pass to a specific receiver. This is not a game. How much is the offensive coordinator trying to hide from prying eyes? You can't tell from outside.

What people can learn is the ability to avoid leaping to baseless conclusions. Learn how shallow one's understanding is. Learn how inadequate the available information is. Try to proceed based on solid information, and learn how to be uncertain when it's merited.

When you don't know - being aware you don't know is the height of wisdom. Wild-ass guessing + then acting all experty is idiotic.
[CENSORED]!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 26, 2016, 11:40:55 am
Yes, I've read several geniuses on different boards make this "locking in on receivers" observation, like they know the slightest thing about what they are watching.

Let's just say that - in a Red-White game - it is conceivable that the QB is asked to throw a particular pass to a specific receiver. This is not a game. How much is the offensive coordinator trying to hide from prying eyes? You can't tell from outside.

What people can learn is the ability to avoid leaping to baseless conclusions. Learn how shallow one's understanding is. Learn how inadequate the available information is. Try to proceed based on solid information, and learn how to be uncertain when it's merited.

When you don't know - being aware you don't know is the height of wisdom. Wild-ass guessing + then acting all experty is idiotic.

Good one Biggus. I didn't think of it being play specific. For BA some would complain he locked onto the receiver when the pass was a hot read. Like on a hot read you have a couple of seconds to survey the field.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 26, 2016, 11:39:20 am
So here is another one who sits in the stands or watches on tv to ascertain AA is locking onto receivers. Unbelievable how some of you think. Once in for all you cannot see this from the stands or tv.

You have to be directly in front of the QB to see where his eyes are. The direction of his head doesn't mean much. Sorry if this seems over the top but had to read for two years about this crap with BA. I sure as heck hope you jokers don't hang around for two years spouting this "he locking in on receivers."

Have a great day.  ;D
I could have sworn I gave him props. I'm probably one of the few on here that actually believe in and support the Allen brothers. QB's lock onto receivers at all levels especially if it's their #1 read or their hot read. Just don't throw it to the other team. No matter what a QB has to look somewhere to start their progressions.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2016, 12:27:25 pm
I could have sworn I gave him props. I'm probably one of the few on here that actually believe in and support the Allen brothers. QB's lock onto receivers at all levels especially if it's their #1 read or their hot read. Just don't throw it to the other team. No matter what a QB has to look somewhere to start their progressions.

My bad then. As you can tell from my post I'm a bit touchy on the subject.   ;)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 26, 2016, 12:43:44 pm
My bad then. As you can tell from my post I'm a bit touchy on the subject.   ;)
I'm with ya. I get tired of all the Allen hate also. I believe they've been the best QB's for the job the last few years. They're not getting the starting spot just because their last name is Allen. How dumb or political do some people think the coaches are? No way I would risk my job just because your last name is Allen. lol

elksnort

I don't think that QB is going to be the problem this coming season.

jry04

Hard for anyone who is an Arkansas fan to claim they have a "non-biased" opinion of something Arkansas related.

Don't disagree with a lot of what the OP said, but to say Peavey isn't that far behind base don this scrimmage is really silly. Peavey did not look good, but he also didn't have the same WRs or OL on his side of the ball. Allen did not look great, but he looked far superior to Peavey in that practice.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 25, 2016, 12:55:43 pm
As I have said for half a year, Town will be the starter by the end of the season.
Only chance Town has of that is if multiple QBs ahead of his get hurt. He isn't playing this year. You are going to be like that poster who screamed Peavey needs a chance all year last year, when he was clearly 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 25, 2016, 12:57:05 pm
If throwing were the only thing the QB has to do, you might have a prayer of being right. As it is, you don't, not without a battlefield promotion.

As I have said for half a year, Town will be the starter by the end of the season.

+1

The only way Town sees the field this year is if at least 2 QB's ahead of him have season ending injuries.  That's not to say that he won't eventually work his way up the depth chart.  He may, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he never plays a down for us.

PorkRinds

I think Town's best shot is to take over for Allen in two years. 

hobhog

It's a fair analysis from the OP, but spring games don't show much. I watched some of Bamas and they looked pretty ordinary, if not bad and we know that ain't right.

That being said, we will need the D to carry us early until O finds its rhythm in order for us to have success next year. 7-5 is a very real possibility.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 26, 2016, 11:39:20 am

Have a great day.  ;D
I am calling BS on this COMPLETE BS post from you.  You CANNOT expect us to swallow the BS you are dishing up here.  There is NO way a person can look in various locations without turning their head.  You just EXPECT us to believe that a person's eye balls move freely and independently of the position of the head.  Come on man!  Joe Montania never looked right, looked right, looked right and then all of a sudden fired the ball over the middle to the left.  That is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

I am embarrassed for you... 

;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 28, 2016, 11:41:04 am
I am calling BS on this COMPLETE BS post from you.  You CANNOT expect us to swallow the BS you are dishing up here.  There is NO way a person can look in various locations without turning their head.  You just EXPECT us to believe that a person's eye balls move freely and independently of the position of the head.  Come on man!  Joe Montania never looked right, looked right, looked right and then all of a sudden fired the ball over the middle to the left.  That is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

I am embarrassed for you... 

;)

I'm calling BS to you for calling my BS  BS for which I called BS of the other guy's BS. This is total BS!  ;D

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I thought I remembered Sosa coming off the L side of the line and beating Jackson.  Did he go up against Skipper very much??

Cave City Joe

You can't take much away from a spring game.  It's all vanilla and scripted.  But you can clearly see Austin is the best QB, OL needs work and the kicking game still stinks. There's a lot of time before September so I'm not concerned at this point.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 28, 2016, 10:56:45 am

+1

The only way Town sees the field this year is if at least 2 QB's ahead of him have season ending injuries.  That's not to say that he won't eventually work his way up the depth chart.  He may, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he never plays a down for us.

I don't think that Town's problem is a lack of physical talent as a QB, nor do I think that he isn't capable of grasping the system as he is alleged to be a "film rat" in studying offenses and opponents. I think a lot of his issues have been showing up late last year, being relegated to being the designated scout team QB and trying to learn an opponents offense so that he could give our defense a good look at what they would face, and thus, not really having invested himself in our offense knowing full well that there wasn't any case in which he would see the field.

This spring was really his first chance to focus on our offense and he is a work in progress. He throws a good ball and has the size and strength to do what a QB needs to do in our system. Now he has to matriculate within the system and prove that he can capitalize on his assets and bring that to the field. I think we will know over the next 12 months or so, just how well Town might work out in our offense. His focus now is on competition with the other QB's rather than being a good scout team QB.

We will have a better idea next spring about how good he is and how good he can be. For the time being, it is Austin and Rafe ahead of the pack with the competition being for the #3 spot between Storey and Town, but there will be few reps given to either of them from this point forward for any real progress to be made for either player. Time will tell who emerges.
Go Hogs Go!

CokeHog

Lots of Dunning-Krueger effect flying around in this thread.  ;D
Go Hogs!

Biggus Piggus

Coaches tend to do stuff like 2002 and 2013. They decide they have no choice but to prepare the game 1 offensive line solely with lettermen. Might take three games, might take four, but eventually reality forces desperate adjustments, such as starting a true freshman.
[CENSORED]!