Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full article on the North End Zone expansion and answers to Sen. Pryor's questio

Started by ricepig, April 23, 2016, 01:34:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: goodguytex on April 24, 2016, 12:51:49 pm
LOL! They've been out recruiting us for awhile, cheating on their part or not. But we have to keep up or we will get left behind. Either we spend what we need to to have and keep a winning program or we better find another conference not elite like the SEC is. We gonna play with the big boys we gotta have all the tools to compete.

Then it is time to get to work...

http://oxblue.com/open/RAC/VHStadium
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2016, 01:03:54 pm
Starting in December or January.......

Will be interesting to see how they do it without turning the area into a mud hole during the '17 season.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 24, 2016, 01:12:49 pm
Will be interesting to see how they do it without turning the area into a mud hole during the '17 season.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'll handle the tearing down, with keeping the game day locker room and BAC offices useable.

LRAFBHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2016, 08:17:38 am
We have a waiting list for suites, and sell 98% of our club seats, there is demand for this. I guess you're still trying to figure out the jet fuel cost.......

Ricehog, you should be chastised, when was our last championship of any sort in football?  Stupid post, logical answer!  You just don't get it.  Surely with your post total, you have some intelligence.  Surely?

hog.goblin

ricepig

Quote from: LRAFBHog on April 24, 2016, 02:08:50 pm
Ricehog, you should be chastised, when was our last championship of any sort in football?  Stupid post, logical answer!  You just don't get it.  Surely with your post total, you have some intelligence.  Surely?

Lol, what in the Wide World of Sports does the number of suites have anything to do with championships, I used to think you were just a troll, now I feel sorry for you.

LRAFBHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2016, 02:45:41 pm
Lol, what in the Wide World of Sports does the number of suites have anything to do with championships, I used to think you were just a troll, now I feel sorry for you.

Thanks, your not so bad after all.  NOT

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

idochog

Everyone keeps talking about the suites which will pay for the renovation by itself.  The additional seats may only be 3200.  What everyone is missing is their on plans to add SRO area which will probably be sold at $15-25.  Its gonna be much like Texas Stadium.  Lower cost options that will allow a larger # to come.  This is geared toward the younger crowd.  I think this is awesome.  The amenities on that end will cater to those folks
I love Jesus!

greghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 24, 2016, 06:24:52 am
Not so fast there................You sure about that?

In 1972, Pryor challenged the reelection of conservative Democratic U.S. senator John L. McClellan, who was seeking his sixth term in the Senate. Pryor's youth (he was thirty-seven at the time of the race) and dynamic style contrasted well with the elderly McClellan. Pryor trailed by only 16,530 in the first primary. Because the other major candidate who failed to make the runoff (Ted Boswell) was also more progressive than McClellan, Pryor entered the runoff as a strong favorite, but in this last election before the overhaul of federal election finance laws, a number of businessmen—including Witt Stephens—poured money into McClellan's effort. The turning point in the campaign came in a rare (for the day) televised debate, when an aggressive McClellan strongly attacked Pryor for his ties to organized labor. McClellan won the nomination with fifty-two percent of the two-candidate vote; it would be Pryor's last political defeat.

Well, dang, I didn't remember that.  I thought he went right from the House to Gov.  That is what I get for posting from memory, not looking things up!

Torqued pork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 24, 2016, 06:26:10 am
When he tried to beat McClelland in 72 he failed.
McClellan was the senator running for re-election. That made McClellan the incumbent. The incumbent won which was my point. Once a Dem won an office it was pretty much his for life if he wanted it and wasn't a complete bonehead.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 25, 2016, 12:36:21 am
McClellan was the senator running for re-election. That made McClellan the incumbent. The incumbent won which was my point. Once a Dem won an office it was pretty much his for life if he wanted it and wasn't a complete bonehead.

So Clinton must be a bonehead. Bill got beat one time running for reelection as Governor. Frank White beat him.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 25, 2016, 06:39:24 am
So Clinton must be a bonehead. Bill got beat one time running for reelection as Governor. Frank White beat him.
The Cuban refugees and the unpopularity of Carter was Clinton's downfall in 1980.

lstewart

It can be interesting to have discussions about UA athletic funding and the cost of programs with educated people, but who don't seem to understand the different sources of funding. I was at a concert at the Walton Arts Center a few months ago and a 60ish very outgoing talkative women attorney had a seat next to me. She went on and on and on about how all the money spent on UA athletics could better be used paying for a new Social Work department building, or something of that nature. She seemed to show very little awareness that fans will spend millions on athletic entertainment, as opposed to being able to raise that same amount of money easily for an older academic building. You can't fault folks for stressing academics and wanting to make sure dollars are spent on students, faculty, and academic facilities. But at the same time, these are different dollars, are not combined, and the fact people are willing to spend so much more on sports is just the world we live in. Can't fault Senator Pryor for not giving an automatic approval without some questions, but many of his questions did seem a little out of touch with the way funding works. He did seem to coming from a point of view that this is the same money that would otherwise be used for academics. Can't argue that athletic costs are out of control, but if we are going to play with the big boys, we have to spend the money to do so.

Earl

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 25, 2016, 09:14:55 am
The Cuban refugees and the unpopularity of Carter was Clinton's downfall in 1980.

Nope, that had nothing to do with him losing. He had doubled or tripled the car tag price is the reason he lost.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: lstewart on April 25, 2016, 09:19:28 am
It can be interesting to have discussions about UA athletic funding and the cost of programs with educated people, but who don't seem to understand the different sources of funding. I was at a concert at the Walton Arts Center a few months ago and a 60ish very outgoing talkative women attorney had a seat next to me. She went on and on and on about how all the money spent on UA athletics could better be used paying for a new Social Work department building, or something of that nature. She seemed to show very little awareness that fans will spend millions on athletic entertainment, as opposed to being able to raise that same amount of money easily for an older academic building. You can't fault folks for stressing academics and wanting to make sure dollars are spent on students, faculty, and academic facilities. But at the same time, these are different dollars, are not combined, and the fact people are willing to spend so much more on sports is just the world we live in. Can't fault Senator Pryor for not giving an automatic approval without some questions, but many of his questions did seem a little out of touch with the way funding works. He did seem to coming from a point of view that this is the same money that would otherwise be used for academics. Can't argue that athletic costs are out of control, but if we are going to play with the big boys, we have to spend the money to do so.

I pay a lot in taxes and a lot of that is spent on education. These people have no clue that the money spent on athletics is our discretionary income that we choose to spend on UA athletics. My priorities are not out of whack. I choose to spend my money on sports entertainment instead of going on cruises, big vacations, boats, fancy cars,ect...

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 25, 2016, 09:50:59 am
I pay a lot in taxes and a lot of that is spent on education. These people have no clue that the money spent on athletics is our discretionary income that we choose to spend on UA athletics. My priorities are not out of whack. I choose to spend my money on sports entertainment instead of going on cruises, big vacations, boats, fancy cars,ect...

Oh, there are MANY with a clue these days. They simply don't like the fact your discretionary income isn't theirs as well.

greghog

Also the raising of the fee on car tags (which wasn't that much (dollar wise, % wise I think it was) ticked off a lot of people.

It was also a protest vote for a lot of people, didn't want White to win, just didn't want Clinton to win by a huge number.  I heard several people say "I wouldn't have voted for White if I thought he was going to win."  As I recall, I didn't even know what White looked like until after the election.  None of his ads (or at least none I recall) had him in it.  It was all anti-Clinton stuff.  I remember the ad showing the Cuban refugees rioting in Fort Smith.

rmcchris

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 04:45:24 pm
The monied folks are paying for their suites, or can you not comprehend that? We're you at the Tech game last year, pretty full. I suspect that those willing to contribute and occupy those seats, pay a lot more in state income taxes than us regular Joes.
Rice, we had a good early discussion on this.  All of us regular Joe's will pay more, that has been confirmed.

code red

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 23, 2016, 04:34:26 pm
He's got a point. We would rather appease those 3,200 folks willing to pay for a suite with the worst view in the stadium than do anything beneficial for the UA (or the state) as a whole.

The fact is that you WANT this expansion, but you don't NEED it. We haven't completely filled RRS for any game in probably 3-5 years. Even then it was only one game and we went back to nearly empty upper decks and corners the next home game.

If the monied folks want to use the football games as a social standing maintenance tool, buy more expensive liquor and something other than Ritz crackers and Easy Cheese hors d'oeuvres while entertaining at home.
Agree
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Torqued pork

Quote from: Earl on April 25, 2016, 09:42:14 am

Nope, that had nothing to do with him losing. He had doubled or tripled the car tag price is the reason he lost.
That too. He hadn't a shred of humility at that point, either.

code red

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 23, 2016, 04:34:26 pm
He's got a point. We would rather appease those 3,200 folks willing to pay for a suite with the worst view in the stadium than do anything beneficial for the UA (or the state) as a whole.

The fact is that you WANT this expansion, but you don't NEED it. We haven't completely filled RRS for any game in probably 3-5 years. Even then it was only one game and we went back to nearly empty upper decks and corners the next home game.

If the monied folks want to use the football games as a social standing maintenance tool, buy more expensive liquor and something other than Ritz crackers and Easy Cheese hors d'oeuvres while entertaining at home.
Agree
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: rmcchris on April 25, 2016, 11:26:46 am
Rice, we had a good early discussion on this.  All of us regular Joe's will pay more, that has been confirmed.

Yes, and all us regular Joe's will get new concessions, elevators, a concourse from one side to another, an additional big screen, and a new BAC. The estimated cost of the suites and club seats in the North End zone is $46m, I suspect the price of the suites/club seats/loge seats will pay for this part.

Also, level 500 tickets are decreasing.

braxhog

It may have been covered already, and I apologize in advance if it has, but on the rendering the east gate entry was covered in brick. Does anyone know if they will be able to do the same on the west side adjacent to Razorback Road? During the last renovation, that side didn't get the facelift. Thanks.

ricepig

Quote from: braxhog on April 25, 2016, 01:14:20 pm
It may have been covered already, and I apologize in advance if it has, but on the rendering the east gate entry was covered in brick. Does anyone know if they will be able to do the same on the west side adjacent to Razorback Road? During the last renovation, that side didn't get the facelift. Thanks.

Nope, no plans at this time.

https://twitter.com/jefflongUA/status/724279764861612032

AirWarren

"One of the most storied venues in college football."

Haha. Yeah ok.

WilsonHog

I wonder why people begrudge others what they are willing to pay for?

Inhogswetrust

Doesn't matter why. ALL politicians losing an election have an excuse for getting beat.

Nashville Fan

Ticket prices need to be lower to fill the stadium. If you built the new suites you might be able to lower the price on other seats to fill the stadium. Then raise the prices again if they ever beat Bama.
Pittman or Bust!

Seebs

All I know about any of this is that David Pryor stiffed me in 1988 when I was a bell man.  That makes him a snake and someone that should never be trusted.

Items given to me as a tip in lieu of money:
Dwight Yoakum - 1.75 liter of Jack Daniels
Gene Simmons - Life advice
Paul Stanley - TCBY yogurt
Hall and Oates - Autographed picture and some ribs from Shugs
Cheap Dillard's sales people - cologne
Sweet Sweet Connie - the heebie geebies
Huey Lewis - golf balls

The list goes on and on  - so screw you David Pryor.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Nashville Fan on April 26, 2016, 06:38:49 am
Ticket prices need to be lower to fill the stadium. If you built the new suites you might be able to lower the price on other seats to fill the stadium. Then raise the prices again if they ever beat Bama.

They have lowered the upper deck seats, did you not know that?

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 25, 2016, 06:38:52 pm
I wonder why people begrudge others what they are willing to pay for?

Wow.  You're too smart to make a blanket statement like this.  You can't plead naivete.

In a nutshell, this is going to happen because humans generally believe it is better to take action, any action, than to do nothing at all.  Long loves it because it will be another feather for him (do you think he'll be here when the bonds are finally retired?).  Bielema loves it because he's getting his head kicked in recruiting against programs wooing 16 year old kids with shiny pennies.  The Board and the inner circle love it because they will control access.  Access is important in a banana republic.   Potential buyers love it because they can sit back and buy later if they want to.  There is no risk whatsoever; no commitment.

A fraction of respondents said they "might" be interested in paying what will be upwards of $335 per seat for an outdoor, low level, end zone seat.  Let me ask you Wilson - do you enjoy watching games from the end zone?  Why do I get the feeling your seats are West side, lower bowl, between the 30s?

All we can do is hope the new seats sell.  They destroy any chance of growing stadium capacity to compete with upper tier SEC programs.  If they don't sell, there will be plenty of time later for begrudging by loyal fans like you when you pick up the tab.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 23, 2016, 02:08:13 pm
Pryor is an idiot. Arkansas voters showed what they thought of him a few years back.
The funny thing is you don't even understand the irony.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2016, 08:29:00 am
Wow.  You're too smart to make a blanket statement like this.  You can't plead naivete.

In a nutshell, this is going to happen because humans generally believe it is better to take action, any action, than to do nothing at all.  Long loves it because it will be another feather for him (do you think he'll be here when the bonds are finally retired?).  Bielema loves it because he's getting his head kicked in recruiting against programs wooing 16 year old kids with shiny pennies.  The Board and the inner circle love it because they will control access.  Access is important in a banana republic.   Potential buyers love it because they can sit back and buy later if they want to.  There is no risk whatsoever; no commitment.

A fraction of respondents said they "might" be interested in paying what will be upwards of $335 per seat for an outdoor, low level, end zone seat.  Let me ask you Wilson - do you enjoy watching games from the end zone?  Why do I get the feeling your seats are West side, lower bowl, between the 30s?

All we can do is hope the new seats sell.  They destroy any chance of growing stadium capacity to compete with upper tier SEC programs.  If they don't sell, there will be plenty of time later for begrudging by loyal fans like you when you pick up the tab.

Your arguments are repeatedly based on the premise those seats will not sell when there is a waiting list a mile long. That is not a position of strength.

Pork Twain

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2016, 08:29:00 am

There is a known need and demand for those seats.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 26, 2016, 08:54:43 am
Your arguments are repeatedly based on the premise those seats will not sell when there is a waiting list a mile long. That is not a position of strength.

Yep. Call the Razorback Foundation and say you want to buy a box. They'll tell you it will be a decade before one comes available.

Also, Season ticket holders are already paying way above $100 a ticket when you consider their foundation donations.

Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 23, 2016, 01:47:49 pm
That reads like the old man still thinks tax money and not athletic revenue will be used to pay off the bond
It becomes an obligation of the state.  While it's a revenue bond with dollars targeted from athletic funds, it is still a general obligation of the state and goes on the balance sheet as such. And if revenue dollars can't pay for it, the state of Arkansas will be required to do so.  If you guarantee a car loan for your buddy and he stops making payments, suddenly you owe it. 

Razorback athletics is asking the state of Arkansas to guarantee its loan, and some of you guys think its ridiculous for a board member to even question that.  It's their job to be comfortable with it.

bphi11ips

You couldn't be more wrong.  Find a post on this Board where I said the seats won't sell.  In fact, the entire proposal is based upon the presumption that the seats will sell.  NFL owners don't take risks like this.  They pre-sell seats. 

You can slice this and dice this any way you want.  The proposal will be shoved down the throats of Arkansans because it is politically expedient.  Patricians have wanted separation from plebeians for thousands of years.  In this instance, the patricians are passing along much of the expense to the plebs and making them like it.  Not much new here, either.  And they are doing it using space in the north end zone that could be put to long-term better use for all, including the football team.  But Long won't be around then. 

There's really nothing new here, but the social and political machinations are fascinating.     

bphi11ips

Exactly how long is the waiting list?  Do you know?  Has that information been published?  If it's 3,200 long, why did the athletic department need to commission a study?

razorback44

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2016, 09:34:56 am
Exactly how long is the waiting list?  Do you know?  Has that information been published?  If it's 3,200 long, why did the athletic department need to commission a study?

One thing we do know is that there isn't a waiting list for bleacher seats. Arkansas is never going to compete in stadium size with Bama and LSU no matter what folks believe.  It's not going to happen.  We just don't have the fanbase to support it. This idea is tremendously better than dropping in 10-20,000 bleacher seats that we can't currently and may never be able to support.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 26, 2016, 09:32:19 am
You couldn't be more wrong.  Find a post on this Board where I said the seats won't sell.  In fact, the entire proposal is based upon the presumption that the seats will sell.  NFL owners don't take risks like this.  They pre-sell seats. 

You can slice this and dice this any way you want.  The proposal will be shoved down the throats of Arkansans because it is politically expedient.  Patricians have wanted separation from plebeians for thousands of years.  In this instance, the patricians are passing along much of the expense to the plebs and making them like it.  Not much new here, either.  And they are doing it using space in the north end zone that could be put to long-term better use for all, including the football team.  But Long won't be around then. 

There's really nothing new here, but the social and political machinations are fascinating.     

http://www.moneycrashers.com/stop-being-jealous-money/