Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full article on the North End Zone expansion and answers to Sen. Pryor's questio

Started by ricepig, April 23, 2016, 01:34:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BPsTheMan

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 23, 2016, 01:47:49 pm
That reads like the old man still thinks tax money and not athletic revenue will be used to pay off the bond
He is a nice guy but is a politician that is past his sell-by date.

ricepig

That reads like the old man still thinks tax money and not athletic revenue will be used to pay off the bond

It does, I'm really confused as to his questions. I guess I thought Trustees had a better understanding of the finances of the university, especially one who dealt with OMB, CBO, and the appropriations process.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 02:00:12 pm
It does, I'm really confused as to his questions. I guess I thought Trustees had a better understanding of the finances of the university, especially one who dealt with OMB, CBO, and the appropriations process.

commentary on the Democratic party still

the only "economics" they understand is taxation

maybe Pryor is fodder to be interviewed on Watter's World

IronMountainHog

Pryor is an idiot. Arkansas voters showed what they thought of him a few years back.

Sivad

On the stadium expansion issue, Pryor is showing real signs of mental deterioration.

lechon

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

ImHogginIt

IronMountainHog

greghog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 23, 2016, 02:08:13 pm
Pryor is an idiot. Arkansas voters showed what they thought of him a few years back.

Whether or not he is an idiot, he never lost an election, not even close.  His son did, he did not.

hog.goblin

Asa took some smart folks off the board and replaced them with unqualified buddies

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on April 23, 2016, 03:52:44 pm
Asa took some smart folks off the board and replaced them with unqualified buddies

Pryor was appointed by Beebe.

hog.goblin

3kgthog

He's got a point. We would rather appease those 3,200 folks willing to pay for a suite with the worst view in the stadium than do anything beneficial for the UA (or the state) as a whole.

The fact is that you WANT this expansion, but you don't NEED it. We haven't completely filled RRS for any game in probably 3-5 years. Even then it was only one game and we went back to nearly empty upper decks and corners the next home game.

If the monied folks want to use the football games as a social standing maintenance tool, buy more expensive liquor and something other than Ritz crackers and Easy Cheese hors d'oeuvres while entertaining at home.

hog.goblin

Need has nothing to do with it.  We don't need to play football at all, but we WANT to.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 23, 2016, 04:34:26 pm
He's got a point. We would rather appease those 3,200 folks willing to pay for a suite with the worst view in the stadium than do anything beneficial for the UA (or the state) as a whole.

The fact is that you WANT this expansion, but you don't NEED it. We haven't completely filled RRS for any game in probably 3-5 years. Even then it was only one game and we went back to nearly empty upper decks and corners the next home game.

If the monied folks want to use the football games as a social standing maintenance tool, buy more expensive liquor and something other than Ritz crackers and Easy Cheese hors d'oeuvres while entertaining at home.
The monied folks are paying for their suites, or can you not comprehend that? We're you at the Tech game last year, pretty full. I suspect that those willing to contribute and occupy those seats, pay a lot more in state income taxes than us regular Joes.

Hawgzinbowlz

"Pryor, in the January meeting, abstained from an otherwise unanimous vote by trustees to allow UA to move forward to get more detailed cost and design details."

Good to see that the vote was unanimous (minus David Pryor's abstention) to proceed with due diligence.

We don't need more general seating...We do need to look at enhancing the quality of our SEC West stadium, and if it makes long term sense...Build it.

" GO HOGS "

Hawgar The Horrible

Damn you are daft. Seriously.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

gawntrail

Someone in the comments (of that article) suggested just raising the prices on the existing boxes.  Short term thinking.  People may be willing to pay more for their box, but, the rub is this..... they don't consume more, park more cars, or write additional checks to the foundation.  Lets be real.  More boxes means lots more $pending on multiple levels.  $160MM sounds like a good investment for 10 plus years of returns on those new boxes if you consider the total spend/revenue for each.

And, for the one who suggested the complex in Little Rock........  Why would/should $$ raised for Razorback Football be spent in Little Rock? 

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on April 23, 2016, 06:23:39 pm
Someone in the comments (of that article) suggested just raising the prices on the existing boxes.  Short term thinking.  People may be willing to pay more for their box, but, the rub is this..... they don't consume more, park more cars, or write additional checks to the foundation.  Lets be real.  More boxes means lots more $pending on multiple levels.  $160MM sounds like a good investment for 10 plus years of returns on those new boxes if you consider the total spend/revenue for each.

And, for the one who suggested the complex in Little Rock........  Why would/should $$ raised for Razorback Football be spent in Little Rock? 

They did raise the prices on the suites, just like every ticket not in Sec. 500.

opineonswine

Senator Pryor is a really nice guy.  Athletics is over his head and out of his competency.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: opineonswine on April 23, 2016, 06:41:09 pm
Senator Pryor is a really nice guy.  Athletics is over his head and out of his competency.
He just needs to abstain from every vote involving Razorback athletics and quit asking stupid and outdated questions.

ricepig

I agree, met with him in D.C. several times on issues involving the farm bill and estate taxes, he always was very genuine and helpful. His questions seem outdated and like he doesn't understand the finances of SEC football. I understand that he wants to take care of the "everyday man", but this isn't that.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

ImHogginIt

Well explain it to him  ;D

These statements tell me he thinks tax money will be used not athletic revenue

"Pryor said he had concerns about the indebtedness that would result from the project and noted that state lawmakers have provided stagnant funding for higher education."

"I think we have higher priorities than a football stadium, and it's not to benefit students,"

Torqued pork

Quote from: greghog on April 23, 2016, 03:34:56 pm
Whether or not he is an idiot, he never lost an election, not even close.  His son did, he did not.
During Pryor's day if you were an incumbent Democrat in Arkansas you had to really screw up to lose an election.

greghog

Repeat arguments all over again.  You are correct that we generally are not selling out.  That is WHY this expansion isn't about putting in more of the seats we aren't selling out.  We are selling out the suits, there is a waiting list.

If you own a store and sell several items.  Item A sells out, item B does not.  Just because you don't sell out of all the items, it that a reason not to order more if item A?  Of course not.  You order more item A.

That is what this is about, we can sell more suits.  But the only way to sell more suits is to build them. 

We aren't adding to the seats types that aren't being sold.

People can get all offended by the fact it is the "rich folk" who these seats are being built for.  However, IF, we were selling out all the "regular" seats, had a waiting list for them, but were not selling out the suits, what would we be wanting to build?  Regular seats!  It is all about ordering the items you can sell!

ricepig

Quote from: greghog on April 23, 2016, 08:56:58 pm
Repeat arguments all over again.  You are correct that we generally are not selling out.  That is WHY this expansion isn't about putting in more of the seats we aren't selling out.  We are selling out the suits, there is a waiting list.

If you own a store and sell several items.  Item A sells out, item B does not.  Just because you don't sell out of all the items, it that a reason not to order more if item A?  Of course not.  You order more item A.

That is what this is about, we can sell more suits.  But the only way to sell more suits is to build them. 

People can get all offended by the fact it is the "rich folk" who these seats are being built for.  However, IF, we were selling out all the "regular" seats, had a waiting list for them, but were not selling out the suits, what would we be wanting to build?  Regular seats!  It is all about ordering the items you can sell!

Please don't interject logic into the equation, it just frustrates them.

greghog

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 23, 2016, 08:47:19 pm
During Pryor's day if you were an incumbent Democrat in Arkansas you had to really screw up to lose an election.

That is true.  Today, the same it true for incumbent Republicans.  That is politics.  I didn't say if I thought he was an idiot or not! :)  I try very very hard not to discuss politics on the internet (learned my lesson the hard way, several times, about doing that!) :)

BadHog

Good point but the word is suites, not suits, Suits are something you wear.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

greghog

Quote from: BadHog on April 23, 2016, 09:01:46 pm
Good point but the word is suites, not suits, Suits are something you wear.

To, too, two, I get those right.  Lose, loose, USUALLY get those right.  Suites, suits, ok, SCREWED that up royally!

Spelling and grammar are not my strong suite (suit?) :) 

I do blame it on being dyslexic as a child, the words weren't always spelled the same when I looked at them, so I quit trying.  Now, I admit to being a little lazy about making sure I used the right word.  (I will never get affect and effect right!)

buldozer

How come we never see the payback calculations on these proposed investments? That is all that should be required to satisfy all concerned..... So long as the income pays off the bonds and produce a positive cash flow to boot it is a worthy investment, if it doesn't its a boondoggle......

go hogues

Not to mention that by the time we get this completed, every SECW team will have made major renovations to their stadiums since we have. Whether you like it or not, a lot of this is about the arms race.
I don't care if we add one more seat, just bulldoze that hideous Broyles center in the NEZ. Makes us look like a Big 12 school on TV.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

JIHawg

Pryor spent probably around thirty years in the senate.  Anybody remember one thing he accomplished, except getting reelected.  He's a small-minded, non-visionary type of person, just who you don't want on your board.

LRAFBHog

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 01:34:08 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/apr/23/ua-fails-to-sway-pryor-on-stadium-expan/

I agree, we seldom fill the stadium now.  More seats do not equal more victories.  Check out the schools that have increased stadium capacity.  More victories brought more seats, not the opposite. 

Inhogswetrust

As a politician he NEVER worried about spending tax money. He was dang good at doing so!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greghog on April 23, 2016, 03:34:56 pm

Not so fast there................You sure about that?

In 1972, Pryor challenged the reelection of conservative Democratic U.S. senator John L. McClellan, who was seeking his sixth term in the Senate. Pryor's youth (he was thirty-seven at the time of the race) and dynamic style contrasted well with the elderly McClellan. Pryor trailed by only 16,530 in the first primary. Because the other major candidate who failed to make the runoff (Ted Boswell) was also more progressive than McClellan, Pryor entered the runoff as a strong favorite, but in this last election before the overhaul of federal election finance laws, a number of businessmen—including Witt Stephens—poured money into McClellan's effort. The turning point in the campaign came in a rare (for the day) televised debate, when an aggressive McClellan strongly attacked Pryor for his ties to organized labor. McClellan won the nomination with fifty-two percent of the two-candidate vote; it would be Pryor's last political defeat.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on April 23, 2016, 08:47:19 pm

When he tried to beat McClelland in 72 he failed.

ricepig

Quote from: LRAFBHog on April 24, 2016, 02:11:30 am
I agree, we seldom fill the stadium now.  More seats do not equal more victories.  Check out the schools that have increased stadium capacity.  More victories brought more seats, not the opposite. 

We have a waiting list for suites, and sell 98% of our club seats, there is demand for this. I guess you're still trying to figure out the jet fuel cost.......

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on April 23, 2016, 10:53:37 pm
How come we never see the payback calculations on these proposed investments? That is all that should be required to satisfy all concerned..... So long as the income pays off the bonds and produce a positive cash flow to boot it is a worthy investment, if it doesn't its a boondoggle......

The same reason you never see it for any building built on campus.....

WilsonHog

Supply and demand.

I moved my four seats from the Red Zone to the South Indoor Club a couple of years ago. Certainly not a suite, but it is indoor with theater seats, better concessions, and a restroom close enough that I can usually get in and out of it during a timeout. The investment isn't an easy one; having those seats is a financial commitment that eliminates summer vacations, having any other hobbies, and even making some needed improvements around my home.

However, I wouldn't trade them in Jeff Long called and offered me outdoor seats on the 50 yard line at 1980 prices, even if it meant that I could take those summer vacations, have other hobbies, improve my property, or just invest the savings. 

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 24, 2016, 08:56:27 am
Supply and demand.

I moved my four seats from the Red Zone to the South Indoor Club a couple of years ago. Certainly not a suite, but it is indoor with theater seats, better concessions, and a restroom close enough that I can usually get in and out of it during a timeout. The investment isn't an easy one; having those seats is a financial commitment that eliminates summer vacations, having any other hobbies, and even making some needed improvements around my home.

However, I wouldn't trade them in Jeff Long called and offered me outdoor seats on the 50 yard line at 1980 prices, even if it meant that I could take those summer vacations, have other hobbies, improve my property, or just invest the savings. 

Don't let the roof fall in, or the cable go, outside of that, it's just stuff, lol.

Hawgar The Horrible

Pryor's salary has been paid by taxpayers the majority of his life. In as much he doesn't appear to have the first damn clue what an investment is. And those suites are an investment.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2016, 09:25:12 am
Don't let the roof fall in, or the cable go, outside of that, it's just stuff, lol.

He does't need cable. He has seats inside the stadium!

ricepig

goodguytex

This expansion is needed badly in many ways. Think about it...
Every SEC west team has or is currently renovating or expanding their stadium in some way, except maybe auburn. And they already have a really good stadium and facilities.

If we are going to compete in the SEC, and win in the SEC, we have to have the facilities to do so. We have to have the atmosphere to win. The student athletes we want, part of what attracts them is the stadium.

We haven't had an expansion or renovation in what, 17 years? It has to happen if we expect the wins to come on that football field. There is no choice.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: goodguytex on April 24, 2016, 12:22:19 pm
This expansion is needed badly in many ways. Think about it...
Every SEC west team has or is currently renovating or expanding their stadium in some way, except maybe auburn. And they already have a really good stadium and facilities.

If we are going to compete in the SEC, and win in the SEC, we have to have the facilities to do so. We have to have the atmosphere to win. The student athletes we want, part of what attracts them is the stadium.

We haven't had an expansion or renovation in what, 17 years? It has to happen if we expect the wins to come on that football field. There is no choice.

I've heard Ole Miss is spending a BUNDLE on their stadium makeover, but all we need is better media productions to compete with them in recruiting.

goodguytex

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 24, 2016, 12:48:28 pm
I've heard Ole Miss is spending a BUNDLE on their stadium makeover, but all we need is better media productions to compete with them in recruiting.
LOL! They've been out recruiting us for awhile, cheating on their part or not. But we have to keep up or we will get left behind. Either we spend what we need to to have and keep a winning program or we better find another conference not elite like the SEC is. We gonna play with the big boys we gotta have all the tools to compete.