Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry 2nd best TE in the Draft?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, April 20, 2016, 09:39:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

PorkRinds

Smokehouse

I suppose Higbee is the "more explosive" TE depending on how you define explosive:

http://m.campussports.net/former-wku-te-tyler-higbees-assault-victim-is-in-good-condition/

QuoteThe man, Nawaf Alsaleh, initially suffered a brain hemorrhage after being knocked unconscious by Higbee, who is currently preparing for the NFL Draft in Chicago next week. Higbee, 24, was charged with assault, public intoxication, and fleeing and evading police.

And it doesn't look good for your analysis when all but two examples are from the same game.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

KlubhouseKonnected

It's the NFL draft, people will argue anything just to churn out content.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

a0ashle

I am sorry, if a defense Man's up on Henry, or any TE for that matter (as suggested in this article)... that offense will have a field day and Henry would be worth every penny!

Edit: Allow me to elaborate... Henry can and will play on the line of scrimmage and is more than adequate blocker... so who will man up on him? Not a CB unless you want to give up run support. A LB playing man up is risky proposition, and can take a LB out of a play very easily. Generally they will play an under and over with the LB and S, and that is where HH will shine.

SemperHawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 20, 2016, 10:05:21 am
It's the NFL draft, people will argue anything just to churn out content.
cosign

Jackrabbit Hog

I tend to think the guy makes some good points.  I love Hunter and hope he has a long, All-Pro career in the NFL, but I think the guy nailed the few weaknesses he has.  Hey, being the second best tight end in the draft isn't a bad thing.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 20, 2016, 10:42:34 am
I tend to think the guy makes some good points.  I love Hunter and hope he has a long, All-Pro career in the NFL, but I think the guy nailed the few weaknesses he has.  Hey, being the second best tight end in the draft isn't a bad thing.
Also not even close to true. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 20, 2016, 11:11:40 am

What's not close to true?  That he's the second best TE in the draft?  Or that being second best TE in the draft isn't a bad thing?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 20, 2016, 11:16:42 am
What's not close to true?  That he's the second best TE in the draft?  Or that being second best TE in the draft isn't a bad thing?

That he's second.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 20, 2016, 09:45:18 am
Dude is a moron.
he made some good points. He gave Henry the correct praise and criticism, imo. I feel he did under-sell Henry's amazing hands, tho. He drops nothing. Still my #1 TE, but he's no Gronk.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 20, 2016, 11:11:40 am

Just like star ratings for kids coming out of high school, only time will tell the real truth.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

a0ashle

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 20, 2016, 11:27:59 am
he made some good points. He gave Henry the correct praise and criticism, imo. I feel he did under-sell Henry's amazing hands, tho. He drops nothing. Still my #1 TE, but he's no Gronk.

Gronk wasn't Gronk coming out of college...

The_Iceman

So #2, that means he'll be early 2nd round right....

....3rd Round Grade???

hogfan14

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 20, 2016, 11:55:40 am
So #2, that means he'll be early 2nd round right....

....3rd Round Grade???

I think Hunter is the best TE in the draft but it isn't considered a very good TE class. Saw a few people rank the Stanford TE over him though.

jjdlc

but he's no Gronk.

Who is?  The real question is, do you really believe Tyler Higbee is better than Henry?  I just don't see it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jjdlc on April 20, 2016, 12:06:31 pm
Who is?  The real question is, do you really believe Tyler Higbee is better than Henry?  I just don't see it.
The guy who wrote the article doesn't believe it either (i still have HH #1, but I'm biased). In that dude's final analysis he removed Higbee after he knocked that Arab cat out cold, then leapfrogged the Stanford TE over Henry. Dude just reaaaally wanted to keep Henry 2nd for whatever reason. But, truthfully, Higbee is a beast, tho! I bet he ends up being a top 10 in the League TE.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hogs1234

Quote from: a0ashle on April 20, 2016, 11:55:20 am

FWIW... I found this stat last week.

LordStanleysHog

snoot hoggy hog

Where did he get his video? Buffalo Wild Wings? Did he shoot this with a camera phone?

sickboy

Well, don't discredit the guy completely. He makes some good points, but let's also not lose sight of the fact that he's a high school S&C coach. He clearly knows his stuff, but he's not an NFL scout.

Plus, if you've read some of his other looks at TEs, he admits that he thinks TEs who are just big receivers are more valuable. He's not the type of guy who's going to jump up and down for a guy like Henry, because Henry isn't that guy who's going to juke you and jump over you -- he's more of a traditional tight end.

Paul

It'll be interesting to see what the "experts" say about Sprinkle as he continues to develop into a different type of TE.

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

sickboy

Even Gronkowski wasn't Gronkowski in 2010. He wasn't even the first TE drafted. He went in the 2nd after Gresham. He had injury concerns and lacked the ability to get open against man coverage back then, according to draft gurus. Well, I think we can all agree that Gronk does not lack the ability to get open.

And if anyone was wondering -- Henry tested as a quicker guy than Gronk. His 40 is slightly faster and his cone drills are faster than Gronk. But Gronk is a higher jumper, reflected in his vert and his broad jump. Gronk is 1 inch taller.

My guess is that Henry won't have a problem getting open and catching balls. He'll have more of a problem blocking.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on April 20, 2016, 01:03:38 pm
IMO he's Witten 2.0

What I've been thinking and saying for a year or so now.  May not end up as good as Witten (who's headed to Canton one day), but he's that same type of player at TE.  Barring injury, he should have a long and productive NFL career.

razorbacksnum1

The truth of the matter is that draft pundits get bias and sometimes grade accordingly. I assure you that he will be proved wrong like any other pundit that says stupid things like this guy. Here would be my questions. How many games did he watch of HH? All 3 years? I doubt it. He handpicked a few games probably that were online and then makes his assumptions. Here's what this guy and others don't take into account, HH performed three years in the SEC? Think about that, three years. He was All SEC all three years and that's no small accomplishment. I'm not sure since DMAC there's ever been a Hog make it all three years. My point is the kid can play and has done it against top level college talent. He's athletic enough and runs well...his testing is comparable to Gronk, Witten, Heath Miller and Olsen. Will he be as good as those guys? Maybe or maybe not but he's definitely better than Higbee at this point and has proved it against better college talent.

gmarv

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on April 20, 2016, 02:52:19 pm
The truth of the matter is that draft pundits get bias and sometimes grade accordingly. I assure you that he will be proved wrong like any other pundit that says stupid things like this guy. Here would be my questions. How many games did he watch of HH? All 3 years? I doubt it. He handpicked a few games probably that were online and then makes his assumptions. Here's what this guy and others don't take into account, HH performed three years in the SEC? Think about that, three years. He was All SEC all three years and that's no small accomplishment. I'm not sure since DMAC there's ever been a Hog make it all three years. My point is the kid can play and has done it against top level college talent. He's athletic enough and runs well...his testing is comparable to Gronk, Witten, Heath Miller and Olsen. Will he be as good as those guys? Maybe or maybe not but he's definitely better than Higbee at this point and has proved it against better college talent.
this right here says it for me. he has played against the best college has to offer and still looked like the best in college.

songofthesword

Lol Higbee is 6'5 230 of course he's more explosive. He's also not a tight end either. That's basically the same size as Greg childs

wholehog92

I think Henry and Effert are a good comparison out of college.  Henry is the best overall TE available.  I still think he's a 1st round guy.  Pass catching TEs are killing defenses right now.  There are about 4 of them that do it and do it well.  Henry is comparable in size and speed to them.  His hands are unquestioningly the best in the draft for a TE.  As a bonus he can get you a backside block.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

longpig

Quote from: sickboy on April 20, 2016, 01:52:45 pm
Well, don't discredit the guy completely. He makes some good points, but let's also not lose sight of the fact that he's a high school S&C coach. He clearly knows his stuff, but he's not an NFL scout.

Plus, if you've read some of his other looks at TEs, he admits that he thinks TEs who are just big receivers are more valuable. He's not the type of guy who's going to jump up and down for a guy like Henry, because Henry isn't that guy who's going to juke you and jump over you -- he's more of a traditional tight end.

Exactly. Henry is very likely the best conventional TE, but could be the 3rd or 4th  taken if teams want more a big receiver.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Hogs1234 on April 20, 2016, 12:46:29 pm
FWIW... I found this stat last week.

Gronk's unmeasurables are why he's the Gronk,  this says little or nothing.

razorbacker3

Almost every "expert" has Hunter #1. Not even close. Most have him going in the early 2nd round. This guy pulls out a couple of plays and grades him based on those few plays he is "analyzing". I'll listen to the experts that make a living at this, not some high school S&C coach.

Iwastherein1969

Yet another thread on how Hunter Henry is going to fit into the NFL draft. Gosh, this is so interesting, it's becoming Hogville's version of the Harry Potter series. HH, along with his immense talents will go exactly where he should go in the draft and will bring many more positives than negatives to any team that can use the services of a TE with big soft hands and a propensity to find the open cavity in a zone defense. Past that, your guess is as good as mine as to where he fits among the rookies at the TE position. Maybe if we create several more of these threads, we can get this down to an exact science.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChitownHawg

Gronk had durability issues. If he had been healthy through his colleges year then he would have had more hype. They never questioned his blocking or catching abilities. Just could the guy stay healthy.

And to some degree those concerns have been valid.

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

longpig

Henry grows into that lower mandible he'll be the next Jason Peters.

Biggus Piggus

I am familiar with reading crap about the Hogs in USA Today.
[CENSORED]!

Veritas Arkansas

Well....he actually was.

His freshman year he made several Freshman All-American teams.
His sophomore year he was an AP 3rd team all American, scoring 10 touchdowns with 670 yards receiving.
He missed his junior year due to a back problem.
He was then the second TE taken in the draft at pick 42 in the 2nd round.

So, even though he wasn't as dominant as he is now, let's not pretend that Gronk came from nowhere.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: longpig on April 26, 2016, 11:41:20 am
Henry grows into that lower mandible he'll be the next Jason Peters.
under-rated post
@Slackaveli

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 26, 2016, 11:58:07 am
Well....he actually was.

His freshman year he made several Freshman All-American teams.
His sophomore year he was an AP 3rd team all American, scoring 10 touchdowns with 670 yards receiving.
He missed his junior year due to a back problem.
He was then the second TE taken in the draft at pick 42 in the 2nd round.

So, even though he wasn't as dominant as he is now, let's not pretend that Gronk came from nowhere.
If Gronk was Gronk in college we all know he would of been top 5 pick. One top mismatches in NFL
I love off season Football!!