Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is anyone else starting to be concerned about our OL?

Started by Kamkaizen, April 20, 2016, 08:15:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogninja

Way too early to freak out. I have faith in this coaching staff to put a serviceable ol together by the end of fall camp. :razorback:

Theolesnort

Concerned? Well considering the material that in several spots has never done much yet, yeah that might be concerning but then again, concerning the abilities of these new guys I would consider it more of an opportunity to build a special oline, but then I am a optimist at heart. So I know which way I am leaning.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

It's too bad we're having to deal with Kirkland leaving.
For starters, he wasn't ready for the NFL based off the reports I've seen, coupled with the underwhelming workouts.

He could have really benefited from another year with a lot of special attention and tutelage.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

lumphog

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 20, 2016, 07:14:19 pm
Concerned? Well considering the material that in several spots has never done much yet, yeah that might be concerning but then again, concerning the abilities of these new guys I would consider it more of an opportunity to build a special oline, but then I am a optimist at heart. So I know which way I am leaning.
I'm with ya......Let me say this NOW.....The Razorbacks WILL have the BEST OL & DL in the SEC "THIS YEAR". I think Coach Anderson is going to blow us away

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

(notOM)Rebel123

Nope....it's Spring practice. Come end of September, maybe. Don't panic until it is time to panic.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 20, 2016, 08:16:34 pm
Nope....it's Spring practice. Come end of September, maybe. Don't panic until it is time to panic.

I don't know,  several will have long fingernails if they can't gnaw on them all summer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2016, 08:26:22 pm
I don't know,  several will have long fingernails if they can't gnaw on them all summer.
Ha! True. You making the trip over this weekend?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 20, 2016, 08:51:14 pm
Ha! True. You making the trip over this weekend?

Nah, I was up last weekend for the Florida series, there's enough back to back weekends this fall.

Hoggish1

TheRazorback500

No concern. Bielema and Anderson have got this. We'll be ok.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Arthur pigby sellers.

Ever since Kirkland declared it's been perceived as the potential weakness. There were a lot of predictions next year for the Hogs to win 7-8 games. Having Kirkland as a likely all sec lineman returning at LT with Ragnow and Skipper would give us 2 returning tackles and a center.  That would probably be the difference in 1-2 games. Defense should be greatly improved.  We have a great receiving core.  AA has played pretty decently by most accounts.  We have a lot of talent at RB.  Much of it is unproven, but it doesn't take talented RBs as long to transition to major college ball as it does O lineman. No point in losing sleep over it now.  Hopefully I'll be wrong and we will win 10 games next year, but with our O line situation I think 7-8 wins is more realistic.

BigSexyHog

I love all the coaches on here.  Hard to believe they have time to post when there is so much work to get done.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2016, 12:26:59 pm
No, I don't think that has to be the case at all. We have 2 guys back with any starts at all. The same two guys are the only ones with real experience. Gibson, Wallace and Rogers only have 3 games experience registered each and who knows how many plays that actually involved? Jake Hall had 1 game but he has since been moved to TE.

Alabama only returns 3 guys with double digit starts but they have 8 guys in their two deep that average 14 games each.

Auburn returns 3 guys with double digit starts and 8 guys in their two deep that average almost 17 games each.

Just an example or two.
Are we only comparing ourselves to teams that have won a NC in the last few years?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 21, 2016, 06:28:09 am
Are we only comparing ourselves to teams that have won a NC in the last few years?
Quote from: Pork Twain on April 21, 2016, 06:28:09 am

No, that wasn't the criteria. I'm just going through the SEC West teams alphabetically to determine career starts and career games by position. All I have had time to do is Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn so far. And I'll grant you that Alabama has won at high levels, but Auburn is tied for 59th in the most wins since 2012 (30-22). In any case, that has nothing to do with building depth and getting players some experience.
Go Hogs Go!

FATHAWG08

Curious yes, concerned not at  all. The Coaches will figure it out.
I love off season Football!!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2016, 07:13:43 am
No, that wasn't the criteria. I'm just going through the SEC West teams alphabetically to determine career starts and career games by position. All I have had time to do is Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn so far. And I'll grant you that Alabama has won at high levels, but Auburn is tied for 59th in the most wins since 2012 (30-22). In any case, that has nothing to do with building depth and getting players some experience.
Just giving you a hard time...  I think the new class we are recruiting right now shows the different approach CBB and Anderson are taking vs CBB and Pittman.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 21, 2016, 08:02:50 am
Just giving you a hard time...  I think the new class we are recruiting right now shows the different approach CBB and Anderson are taking vs CBB and Pittman.

My hope is that they are doing an excellent job of identifying talent ahead of the competition and landing some kids who fit the profile that they have stated that they wanted in the past. If these kids are of the variety that they will require a couple of years of development before they are ready to compete for a starting position, while these earlier commits are a good start, we aren't out of the woods yet. But still, it may be a move in the right direction.
Go Hogs Go!

JayBell

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 20, 2016, 04:38:15 pmAgreed.  Play action, bootleg, waggles, and screens may be the norm early on as the young left side learns.  If we're going to have a year with growing pains on the line, we have the WR/TE group to help deal with it.

That's a great point.  This definitely has not always been the case for Arkansas.

Arkansas has often needed a bullish line because the passing game hasn't always been there.  With the current crop and system, defenses have to respect the passing game, especially playaction.  It means less pressure for the line because defenses can't load up the box like they have before.

Well, they can, but then you'll just see Enos and Allen pick them apart.

JayBell

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 20, 2016, 07:36:45 pmIt's too bad we're having to deal with Kirkland leaving.
For starters, he wasn't ready for the NFL based off the reports I've seen, coupled with the underwhelming workouts.

He could have really benefited from another year with a lot of special attention and tutelage.

Kirkland is going to get drafted as an underclassmen who was playing out of position in college.  Another year at tackle was not going to make him more ready to play guard in the NFL.  He was way more ready for the NFL than Philon.

We all knew, or at least I thought we all knew, by the middle of last season that Kirkland would be gone.  I think he made the right decision.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JayBell on April 21, 2016, 08:25:12 am
Kirkland is going to get drafted as an underclassmen who was playing out of position in college.  Another year at tackle was not going to make him more ready to play guard in the NFL.  He was way more ready for the NFL than Philon.

I'm pretty sure CBB has said that DK was moving back inside if he returned this year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: JIHawg on April 20, 2016, 11:13:58 am
What constitutes adequate depth at the OL-two as least serviceable candidates at each position, or three?

I think we can get to two, but not three.  The other question-can we get to a dominate first five?  Juries still out, but I'm leaning that we can.  I just trust these coaches.  We have all summer for the players to process what they have been given in the spring, and then all of August to get battle ready and hone what they have learned.

I'm still optimistic.

Bielema's teams tend not to show that they're battle ready until October.  They're going to need a fast start this year more than ever.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: JayBell on April 21, 2016, 08:25:12 am

We all knew, or at least I thought we all knew, by the middle of last season that Kirkland would be gone.  I think he made the right decision.

Except he may not get drafted. I sure hope he does though.

Hawgar The Horrible

Not at all. It's the QB's that should be afraid for their lives.  ;)
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Wildhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2016, 09:05:04 am
The premature departure of Denver Kirkland hurt, for many reasons:

* Nothing is left from the 2012 recruiting class (Jeremy Ward, Cordale Boyd), which should have provided fifth-year seniors.
* Dan Skipper is the only one remaining from the 2013 class (also included Kirkland, Reeve Koehler, Jonathan McClure).
* After two inadequately sized groups, the 2014 class brought Frank Ragnow, Brian Wallace, Sebastian Tretola, Josh Allen, Jovan Pruitt. Only two remain.

This is the season where the insufficient recruiting hits hardest. But consider that the Hogs signed one freshman in the 2016 crop. Frank Ragnow could leave early for the pros, and next year's senior class then would consist of two jucos.

When I hear the coaches talk about moving Jake Hall -- recently shifted from DE to OT -- over to TE, I wonder WHAT THE HOLY FLYING Frank?

The offensive line might be a problem for multiple seasons.

Bump for common sense.  This has been obvious for a while now.  Glad folks are finally starting to come around.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 21, 2016, 09:06:10 am
Bielema's teams tend not to show that they're battle ready until October.  They're going to need a fast start this year more than ever.

Are you talking about his teams at Arkansas, or during his entire HC tenure?

Because breaking in new coordinators could explain the slow starts the past two years.

IMO it's going to be a very interesting thing to watch for this fall, considering this is CBB's first year here with the coordinators on both sides of the ball.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 21, 2016, 11:48:07 am

Because breaking in new coordinators could explain the slow starts the past two years.

IMO it's going to be a very interesting thing to watch for this fall, considering this is CBB's first year here with the coordinators on both sides of the ball.

His team's at Wisconsin averaged 4.7 wins in their first 6 games over his tenure there. I assume his "always start slow" theory applies to his 3 years here.

Hogs-n-Roses

April 21, 2016, 06:22:42 pm #79 Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:37:06 pm by Hogs-n-Roses
Actually since our identity changed last year. I am more confused than scared. After reviewing closely our stats last year we were not a running team. I understand why the new identity as the previous year we had 2 1000 yard rushers so with 1 down some adjustments had to be made. Actually looks like we were much more balanced.Only 3 games did our Oline  seem to struggle.Toledo,Bama,Miss st.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on April 21, 2016, 06:22:42 pm
Actually since our identity changed last year. I am more confused than scared. After reviewing closely our stats last year we were not a running team. I understand why the new identity as the previous year we had 2 1000 yard rushers so with 1 down some adjustments had to be made. Actually looks like we were much more balanced.Only 3 games did our Oline  seem to struggle.Toledo,Bama,Miss st.

We scored 50 points against MSU, and probably would have scored 57 if CBB wasn't so afraid we'd score too soon and MSU would come back and beat us. Hard to score that much, especially against a pretty salty SEC West defense, if your OL is struggling.  If anything we looked worse against Tech.

EFBAB

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on April 21, 2016, 06:55:02 pm
We scored 50 points against MSU, and probably would have scored 57 if CBB wasn't so afraid we'd score too soon and MSU would come back and beat us. Hard to score that much, especially against a pretty salty SEC West defense, if your OL is struggling.  If anything we looked worse against Tech.

EFBAB

If the defense had made any appearance whatsoever in the Texas Tech game, we would have won. That may have been the worst game for the defense all season long. I'm not saying that we set the world on fire offensively because we didn't, but the defense was leaking like a sieve allowing Tech an average of 8.4 yards per play.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 21, 2016, 08:56:19 am
I'm pretty sure CBB has said that DK was moving back inside if he returned this year.

I read this somewhere as well.
I still say he probably would have benefited from another year.

I find it odd  how he left/announced as well.

It felt like a kid knowing he shouldn't do something but if they can get far enough away from Dad, they might pull it off without getting into trouble.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 21, 2016, 07:46:20 pm
I read this somewhere as well.
I still say he probably would have benefited from another year.

I find it odd  how he left/announced as well.

It felt like a kid knowing he shouldn't do something but if they can get far enough away from Dad, they might pull it off without getting into trouble.

If I recall correctly, Bielema was going to visit with the kids from Florida and their families prior to a decision being made, and that happened with AC. Kirkland apparently made his decision before Bielema had a chance to meet with he and his family. I don't think (second guessing here because I don't know for certain) Bielema was going to recommend that Kirkland go early. 
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2016, 07:51:48 pm
If I recall correctly, Bielema was going to visit with the kids from Florida and their families prior to a decision being made, and that happened with AC. Kirkland apparently made his decision before Bielema had a chance to meet with he and his family. I don't think (second guessing here because I don't know for certain) Bielema was going to recommend that Kirkland go early. 

That's why I said it felt like DK was trying to pull a fast one.

I don't think he wanted that meeting because he was dead set on going pro at all costs.

He's a Hog.
He did really good for us.
I'm proud he came here, and I wish him tons of success.

I think he left too quickly and was afraid of having that meeting with BB.
For starters, he probably knew deep inside that another year would be best but for whatever reason(s), wanted to go pro more.
His response to me:

farmhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2016, 09:05:04 am
The premature departure of Denver Kirkland hurt, for many reasons:

* Nothing is left from the 2012 recruiting class (Jeremy Ward, Cordale Boyd), which should have provided fifth-year seniors.
* Dan Skipper is the only one remaining from the 2013 class (also included Kirkland, Reeve Koehler, Jonathan McClure).
* After two inadequately sized groups, the 2014 class brought Frank Ragnow, Brian Wallace, Sebastian Tretola, Josh Allen, Jovan Pruitt. Only two remain.

This is the season where the insufficient recruiting hits hardest. But consider that the Hogs signed one freshman in the 2016 crop. Frank Ragnow could leave early for the pros, and next year's senior class then would consist of two jucos.

When I hear the coaches talk about moving Jake Hall -- recently shifted from DE to OT -- over to TE, I wonder WHAT THE HOLY FLYING Frank?

The offensive line might be a problem for multiple seasons.
Seems like we have seen this before....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HogMantheIntruder

Excellent point. I never thought of that. +1
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

wikipedia brown

The oline is definitely going to patchwork next season, however, there seems to be more athleticism vs size than past classes. Froholt could turn into an amazing pulling guard. We also have the most athletic center since Travis Swanson in ragnow/Wallace.

whosiskid

I'm concerned, but just think how much more we would all be concerned if Hjalte Froholt hadn't come in and locked down the LG slot. I think everyone knew he was a great athlete (he was initially listed as a TE/DE coming out of HS, but we decided early on to move him to DT). If we had uncertainty at LG in addition to questions of depth and other positions, we'd be a whole lot worse than we currently are.

There is one other player who could provide significant help in the fall: Jake Heinrich. We didn't recruit many offensive linemen in the 2015 class, but Heinrich is someone who could contribute immediately and might even end up starting before the season is over. I doubt that Heinrich will be redshirted. I expect that he'll get on campus and will be instantly evaluated for how ready he is to contribute. The word is that he is one of the more polished linemen we've had in a while. He could help pretty much immediately. Sadly, after him the freshman class cupboard is bare.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 20, 2016, 08:00:46 pm
Not really.

This rat cheer. Big boy runs an offense that likes to pound the ball more than anyone else in college football. I am not too worried about

Since 1894

We should be concerned about the whole offense (at this point).  New QB, OL mostly untested, RBs hurt, newer TEs.  What could possibly go wrong?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

JayBell

Quote from: Since 1894 on April 22, 2016, 08:05:31 amWe should be concerned about the whole offense (at this point).  New QB, OL mostly untested, RBs hurt, newer TEs.  What could possibly go wrong?

A lot of people had the same mentality last year.

Styflin

April 22, 2016, 11:27:04 am #92 Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:29:49 pm by Styflin
Never mind

JayBell

I can understand some concern, but the level of pessimism is pretty crazy to me.  Someone commented that the line could have issues for years to come when Skipper and the Ragnow are the only real threats to leave after this season.  You're talking about a unit that will have one senior, two juniors and then a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.  That is built for the long haul.

At worst, I'd expect them to be like the defensive line last year, which was built in the same way.  They may be a bit underwhelming, considering expectations, but still pretty damn good compared to other teams.

Theolesnort

Styflin..... is there an echo in here? ..........................................................just kidding     
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

PorkRinds

I think part of it comes from the fact that the OL was so hyped last year.  Cover of the media guide and the whole works.  They were talked up as the strength of the team, and ended up not living up to the hype.   It's quite possible that the unit is not as worrisome as we think, we just aren't getting the same amount of hype because the coaches don't want the guys to think they deserve it.  They want them to EARN the hype before giving it to them.  That's not to say I'm ignoring the glaring depth issues Pittman left us with, because I'm not.  But they may be better than advertised because there just isn't much advertising going on.

Hogdomer

We did not start slow in 2014.  We lost on the road at Auburn to open the year, but competed well until the fourth quarter.  We also buried the MAC champ and a good team in Northern Illinois before dominating a good Aggie team for 58 minutes.  Last year was a horrendous start but 2014 wasn't bad.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogdomer on April 22, 2016, 01:37:52 pm
We did not start slow in 2014.  We lost on the road at Auburn to open the year, but competed well until the fourth quarter.  We also buried the MAC champ and a good team in Northern Illinois before dominating a good Aggie team for 58 minutes.  Last year was a horrendous start but 2014 wasn't bad.

Defense started slow that fall.  They were pretty mediocre until well into the season, and finished much differently.

Offense started slow in 2015.  I don't think it's a coincidence those units started slow with first time coordinators.

But we'll see this fall.

Like someone above pointed out, we really cannot afford either side to start slow this fall.

Hogdomer

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 22, 2016, 01:52:00 pm
Defense started slow that fall.  They were pretty mediocre until well into the season, and finished much differently.

Offense started slow in 2015.  I don't think it's a coincidence those units started slow with first time coordinators.

But we'll see this fall.

Like someone above pointed out, we really cannot afford either side to start slow this fall.

The defense was bad against Auburn in 2014, but really good against Northern Illinois and A&M.  We lost to A&M due to penalties (Jonathan Williams run to the 1 called back), a missed chip shot field goal (sounds familiar) and two fumbled snaps at crucial times.  Northern Illinois' offense was excellent that year and they won 11 games.  Our defense completely shut them down.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogdomer on April 22, 2016, 02:01:41 pm
The defense was bad against Auburn in 2014, but really good against Northern Illinois and A&M.  We lost to A&M due to penalties (Jonathan Williams run to the 1 called back), a missed chip shot field goal (sounds familiar) and two fumbled snaps at crucial times.  Northern Illinois' offense was excellent that year and they won 11 games.  Our defense completely shut them down.

The last half of the last quarter of a game counts.

In that part of the game our D looked like dog poo and gave up a lead that should have won the game.

I'm pretty sure Thrill passed for more than 300 for the game.