Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could 2005 springdale or 03-04 LRCH stop Basil Shabazz?

Started by Ben, April 10, 2016, 07:28:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

howie76

ricepig

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

ricepig

Quote from: Ben on April 10, 2016, 07:33:35 pm
Yet you took time to reply...

It was my opinion, you asked for it, I thought you should read it......

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

CallMeAl

Hog since birth.

supersaint

Guys I played with in the Arkansas High School All Star Game in 91 say that if Shabazz had chosen to play in the game for the East, they wouldn't have bothered playing for the West.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

razorbackkid

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2016, 07:42:14 pm
It was my opinion, you asked for it, I thought you should read it......

When Ben wants your opinion he'll give it to ya.   ;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

TM Hog

I doubt it. Shabazz was a once in a generation running back. That Texarkana defense he shredded was salty.

Iwastherein1969

not a single high school defense in the history of football in our lovely state could stop Basil Shabazz when he set his mind to a thing...he was a man-child out there playing against Pop Warner...one night in Texarkana, I watched 11 defenders on every play try to stop him...they couldn't, and Arkansas High had some very good teams back in those days
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Ben on April 10, 2016, 07:28:07 pm
Your opinion.

Yes, since the LR Central team in 1990 beat Pine Bluff. Shabazz wasn't as great as football player as some believe. I blame Steve Sullivan for this and the 1990 state championship game.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

His senior year Shabazz had about 1700 yards and 19 TDs in 14 games.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 11, 2016, 05:51:21 am

How many building could he leap in a single bound? That is the real question.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on April 10, 2016, 07:45:56 pm
What does this have to do with Razorback football?

Not a thing. The OP likes to start threads for some reason. Maybe Shabazz can stop him.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

85 Bears would have slowed him for a half, then he gets about 120 in 2nd half.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 11, 2016, 06:22:16 am
Not a thing. The OP likes to start threads for some reason. Maybe Shabazz can stop him.................

;D +1
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 10, 2016, 08:28:00 pm
not a single high school defense in the history of football in our lovely state could stop Basil Shabazz when he set his mind to a thing...he was a man-child out there playing against Pop Warner...one night in Texarkana, I watched 11 defenders on every play try to stop him...they couldn't, and Arkansas High had some very good teams back in those days

I was at that game cause between 1986 and 1991 I bought the State Championship Game package and watched all the finals during that time.  Summer 1990 I worked Super Summer at OBU and I had 3 players from that Texarkana team with my group I also meet Mike Cherry their QB that week. They were great kids but Basil looked like a College Player vs a Pop Warner d in that Championship game and PB D shut the Hogs down that night.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HighcountryHog

no bumps, no fat chicks

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

carolinahogger

I saw Marcus Dupree play in 1982 and Shabazz could not have carried his jock.  Not relevant?  Neither player was a Razorback.

Razorbackers

This is a fantastic offseason topic.

The real question is, could Asoceles tackle Shabazz?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on April 11, 2016, 10:58:55 am

We're talkin' Razorback football here, not Greek mythology!   >:(

Dark Helmet Hog

He didn't need 2005 Springdale or 2003-2004 LRC to stop him. The 1988 Springdale team shut him down pretty well (He was starting in place of his injured brother Nasr). PB went on to went on to win that game 21-14 but it wasn't due to a special Shabazz performance. The Springdale 1989 team took care of him the next year too. They not only beat PB but went on to win state with a 13-1 record. Shabazz was the best his senior year in 1990. However, before that he was stopped by several teams.

The OP should learn a little history.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 11, 2016, 05:51:21 am

No one better his senior year. He was a beast.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 11, 2016, 12:07:31 pm
He didn't need 2005 Springdale or 2003-2004 LRC to stop him. The 1988 Springdale team shut him down pretty well (He was starting in place of his injured brother Nasr). PB went on to went on to win that game 21-14 but it wasn't due to a special Shabazz performance. The Springdale 1989 team took care of him the next year too. They not only beat PB but went on to win state with a 13-1 record. Shabazz was the best his senior year in 1990. However, before that he was stopped by several teams.

The OP should learn a little history.
but....but....Shabazz....
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

Quote from: supersaint on April 10, 2016, 07:59:25 pm
Guys I played with in the Arkansas High School All Star Game in 91 say that if Shabazz had chosen to play in the game for the East, they wouldn't have bothered playing for the West.
What a load of crap. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 11, 2016, 12:08:44 pm
No one better his senior year. He was a beast.

People base that on the state championship game.

Razorbackers

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 11, 2016, 11:47:26 am

One man's mythology is another man's linebacker.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

supersaint

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 11, 2016, 12:12:39 pm
What a load of crap.

You can call it that, but that's what some of the guys who played against him told me.

DOGALUM

Quote from: supersaint on April 11, 2016, 02:55:31 pm
You can call it that, but that's what some of the guys who played against him told me.
I do call it that.  I played against him.  I was a sophomore starter on a 1990 Springdale team that went 5-5-1 that year.  He was a senior and we played them in Pine Bluff.  They beat us.  He made a couple plays but fumbled twice as well.   (both times he fumbled, he played it as an injury and got helped off the field....only to come back in the next play)    But he was by no means frightening to me or to anyone else on our team.....and we had an overall weak group of seniors that year.  But nobody would have chosen to not play a game that he was in. 

bennyl08

Shabazz is the only person to appear in the DC universe besting Barry Allen in a race and making superman bleed w/o needing kryptonite AND appearing in the Marvel universe besting the Hulk in strength and defeating Thor with his own hammer.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

DOGALUM

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 11, 2016, 05:53:19 pm
Shabazz is the only person to appear in the DC universe besting Barry Allen in a race and making superman bleed w/o needing kryptonite AND appearing in the Marvel universe besting the Hulk in strength and defeating Thor with his own hammer.
I've read those issues.  NONE of that occurred with football pads on.  Just sayin.....

Porked Tongue

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 11, 2016, 11:47:26 am

Exactly, Ponderin! Now, who wins at Indian leg wrestling, Basil Shabazz or Wear Schoonover?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hawgphish

There is no such thing as tornadoes.  Basil Shabazz just dislikes trailer parks.

supersaint

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 11, 2016, 05:38:09 pm
I do call it that.  I played against him.  I was a sophomore starter on a 1990 Springdale team that went 5-5-1 that year.  He was a senior and we played them in Pine Bluff.  They beat us.  He made a couple plays but fumbled twice as well.   (both times he fumbled, he played it as an injury and got helped off the field....only to come back in the next play)    But he was by no means frightening to me or to anyone else on our team.....and we had an overall weak group of seniors that year.  But nobody would have chosen to not play a game that he was in.

Impressive credentials. This thread should be about you and your sophomore bravery b

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Razorbackers on April 11, 2016, 10:58:55 am

After 10-12 times trying and having eaten a Frito Pie.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Snizzzo

Did anyone on here play against Kiniko Logan at FS Northside in the mid -90s?

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

That night in LR and the at the State Track meet he put on a Show that any one who was there will never forget.

Big Boi

How many people on this board honestly seen Basil and the two HS teams play. I'm guessing less than 20

DOGALUM

Quote from: supersaint on April 11, 2016, 06:35:33 pm
Impressive credentials. This thread should be about you and your sophomore bravery b
Now you're just being a prick. Has nothing to do with credentials.  Point is that we had several sophs playing that year and if none of us were scared of him, I doubt any seniors who were all stars were.  Anyone who ever played any sport will likely call BS on your claim of people not wanting to play against him in an all star game.   

DOGALUM

Quote from: Big Boi on April 12, 2016, 10:21:52 am
How many people on this board honestly seen Basil and the two HS teams play. I'm guessing less than 20
I saw them both. 

Define "stop".   Shabazz would likely get a big run against most teams.  But I doubt he would run roughshod over that LRC defense.   

go hogues

A Basil Shabazz thread...

It's officially the summer offseason.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

Quote from: go hogues on April 12, 2016, 12:56:01 pm
A Basil Shabazz thread...

It's officially the summer offseason.

Yep He was a Legend !

supersaint

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 12, 2016, 12:13:11 pm
Now you're just being a prick. Has nothing to do with credentials.  Point is that we had several sophs playing that year and if none of us were scared of him, I doubt any seniors who were all stars were.  Anyone who ever played any sport will likely call BS on your claim of people not wanting to play against him in an all star game.   

I'm just conveying what was told to me. If I recall correctly, it was a guy from LR Catholic that told me that. He wasn't scared of him, just said that he wouldn't have played because he didn't think we would have had a chance to win. I hung out with the Springdale guys that week. Holt and Farrister, if my memory serves me correctly. Those were rough (in a good way) guys who wouldn't have been "scared" of Shabazz.

Anyway, congrats on your bravery and ability to speak for athletes everywhere.

DOGALUM

Quote from: supersaint on April 12, 2016, 01:03:54 pm
I'm just conveying what was told to me. If I recall correctly, it was a guy from LR Catholic that told me that. He wasn't scared of him, just said that he wouldn't have played because he didn't think we would have had a chance to win. I hung out with the Springdale guys that week. Holt and Farrister, if my memory serves me correctly. Those were rough (in a good way) guys who wouldn't have been "scared" of Shabazz.

Anyway, congrats on your bravery and ability to speak for athletes everywhere.
No bravery involved and I don't speak for athletes.....but I would wager that most competitors feel the same way.  And you are correct about Holt and Farrister....they would not have been scared of him.