Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Two-Deep

Started by redleg, March 14, 2016, 10:54:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 17, 2016, 11:29:43 pm
Allen locked up that spot pretty quick, it wasnt much of a battle.

Mitchell wasn't much of a QB, but he was a great athlete
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redleg on March 16, 2016, 02:51:44 pm
This was my attempt at a "TWO-DEEP" roster before the spring practices.
Austin Allen is the most experienced QB on the team, so he got the start. I struggled with either Town or Storey at #2, and went with Town's overall talent. Peavey is a good QB, but he does not have the arm strength the others have, plus he is actually better suited for a spread offense like A&M or Auburn.
As for RB, Bielema said he thought Whaley might be the most overall talented RB he has ever signed, which is really saying something. With RWIII injury, and the fact that Whaley is more talented and faster than Kody, that's what I ended up with.
When the Hogs go with 3-wides, look for Hatcher, Morgan, and either Reed or Cornelius to start. But  the other receivers will get their share of playing time.
At TE, Sprinkle is the clear starter. Kraus is going to be a blocking TE. Gragg, Cantrell, and O'Grady are interchangeable to me.
The O-Line is what it is. But CBB and his staff had better find the other three starters fast so that unit can gel early in the season.
At DE, I went with the most experienced guys, three of whom will be seniors. Bell and Agim will get their time on the field, but like I said at the beginning, this was a TWO-DEEP.
DT is self-explanatory. That's who we have, although you could throw in Capps, Guidry, and Marks.
Josh Williams may or may not be back, I don't know. If he isn't, look for Hackett to start and Ramsey to back up. DeJon Harris might play too, but Kendrick Jackson is moving back to MLB and he is a good player.
I went with two backups at FS because Richardson made some plays down the stretch in 2015, but look for Sykes to do good things this year.
:razorback:

While it is imperative that we get far more production out of our LB's this coming season, I will say that I am encouraged by the numbers we have accumulated at those positions. As it stands right now, we will enter the fall with 15 LB's. I'd be tickled if we can find 5 or 6 from that group that are capable of playing well consistently in all phases of LB play.

DT is a little scary in terms of depth even with the additions from this recent recruiting class. We have 4 that range in experience from some to a lot of experience and 4 more with none.

At DE we are going into the season with 12 on the roster and a lot of experience among the top 4 which should offer us a good opportunity to develop the other 8 during the season.

In the Secondary we will start with 14 at CB and 5 at Safety, though position numbers could change over the spring as evaluations proceed. We have to hope that we can find 7 or 8 out of the 19 total that are capable of providing solid coverage play after play. It would be nice to have a couple of CB's that can also come up and turn running plays back inside.

Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 17, 2016, 08:56:06 pm
We need a kicker that can put the ball in the end zone. Teams always seemed to start with good field position against us last year. It's kind of disappointing that we can't find one with a strong enough leg to get it in the end zone consistently. Hopefully one of the three experienced placekickers on campus will develop.

I see people complain about this a lot.  I honestly feel like some of the kickoffs not getting into the end zone was by design.  IIRC I saw a stat that our kickoff coverage ended up being better off this way because the returns against us averaged less than the 25 yards you get from a touchback.  I could be wrong, but I swear I think I read that. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 18, 2016, 08:15:00 am
I see people complain about this a lot.  I honestly feel like some of the kickoffs not getting into the end zone was by design.  IIRC I saw a stat that our kickoff coverage ended up being better off this way because the returns against us averaged less than the 25 yards you get from a touchback.  I could be wrong, but I swear I think I read that. 

I think you are right, many of those were by design. I don't understand the logic of the short kick-offs unless you have the ability to hang the ball really high between the goal line and the 20 and have the personnel that can get down and cover to the point that there is virtually no return. Now you kick into the EZ it comes out to the 25 and you deny the other team the potential for a big play. Against K-State in the bowl, we gave them an average starting field position on KO's of about the 34-35 yard line using the short KO methodology and with our defense last year, I never saw that being a good idea, even though we won the game.
Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2016, 08:35:32 am
I think you are right, many of those were by design. I don't understand the logic of the short kick-offs unless you have the ability to hang the ball really high between the goal line and the 20 and have the personnel that can get down and cover to the point that there is virtually no return. Now you kick into the EZ it comes out to the 25 and you deny the other team the potential for a big play. Against K-State in the bowl, we gave them an average starting field position on KO's of about the 34-35 yard line using the short KO methodology and with our defense last year, I never saw that being a good idea, even though we won the game.

I agree with you. Unless you can almost always stop them inside the 20 yard line the risk is not worth the reward.

MS_HogFan

Does anyone have stats on how often college kickers get touchbacks?
SOOIE

factchecker

We only had 11 touchbacks the entire season... which accounted for 14.29% of our kickoffs.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/kickoff/index.html

We allowed 19.52 yards per kick return with one TD.  However, that stat is misleading.  19 yards per kick return sounds great..... unless they are returning the ball from the 10 (ball on 29) or even worse the 20 (ball on 39). I don't have the stats but it felt like we constantly put our defense at a disadvantage with poor field positioning.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/kickreturn/defense/split.html

For example----

Against Kansas State we only allowed 14.25 yards per return but they were consistently starting with great field position.  In fact their worse return resulted with a starting position on the 26 yard line:

Lane Saling kickoff for 48 yds , Morgan Burns return for 18 yds to the KanSt 35

Lane Saling kickoff for 39 yds , Winston Dimel return for 7 yds to the KanSt 33

Lane Saling kickoff for 52 yds , Morgan Burns return for 41 yds to the Ark 46

Lane Saling kickoff for 50 yds , Morgan Burns return for 32 yds to the KanSt 47

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 32 yds , Tanner Wood return for 3 yds to the KanSt 36 KANSAS ST Penalty, Illegal Block (10 Yards) to the KanSt 26

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 35 yds , Tanner Wood return for 8 yds to the KanSt 38

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 29 yds , Landon Root return for a loss of 1 yard to the KanSt 35 , Morgan Burns return for no gain to the KanSt 35

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 32 yds , Andre Davis return for 6 yds to the KanSt 39

http://espn.go.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400852740

I understood the reasoning behind trying the squib kicks against Burns.  He was a deadly kick returner for K-State.  You try not to kick it to the most dangerous weapon on the team.  I would prefer to accomplish this by kicking out the back of the end zone.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 18, 2016, 08:35:32 am

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree either.  I see the reasoning, but I don't think it worked out like they wanted it to. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: factchecker on March 18, 2016, 09:05:24 am
We only had 11 touchbacks the entire season... which accounted for 14.29% of our kickoffs.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/kickoff/index.html

We allowed 19.52 yards per kick return with one TD.  However, that stat is misleading.  19 yards per kick return sounds great..... unless they are returning the ball from the 10 (ball on 29) or even worse the 20 (ball on 39). I don't have the stats but it felt like we constantly put our defense at a disadvantage with poor field positioning.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/kickreturn/defense/split.html

For example----

Against Kansas State we only allowed 14.25 yards per return but they were consistently starting with great field position.  In fact their worse return resulted with a starting position on the 26 yard line:

Lane Saling kickoff for 48 yds , Morgan Burns return for 18 yds to the KanSt 35

Lane Saling kickoff for 39 yds , Winston Dimel return for 7 yds to the KanSt 33

Lane Saling kickoff for 52 yds , Morgan Burns return for 41 yds to the Ark 46

Lane Saling kickoff for 50 yds , Morgan Burns return for 32 yds to the KanSt 47

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 32 yds , Tanner Wood return for 3 yds to the KanSt 36 KANSAS ST Penalty, Illegal Block (10 Yards) to the KanSt 26

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 35 yds , Tanner Wood return for 8 yds to the KanSt 38

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 29 yds , Landon Root return for a loss of 1 yard to the KanSt 35 , Morgan Burns return for no gain to the KanSt 35

Cole Hedlund kickoff for 32 yds , Andre Davis return for 6 yds to the KanSt 39

http://espn.go.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400852740

I understood the reasoning behind trying the squib kicks against Burns.  He was a deadly kick returner for K-State.  You try not to kick it to the most dangerous weapon on the team.  I would prefer to accomplish this by kicking out the back of the end zone.
Very few college kickers are kicking it out of the back of the endzone.  Most kick it about 3-5 yds deep. which is just a good starting point for good KR's.  Giving up field position in order to avoid a big play that electrifies a team, crowd, and changes momentum is the right choice, when you don't have great kickers.

People on here act like kickers that boot them through the EZ are a dime a dozen.  They aren't.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Polecat

Finding a walk-on, or anyone for that matter,  who can strictly kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs should be a priority before fall
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ricepig

Quote from: Polecat on March 18, 2016, 11:38:24 am
Finding a walk-on, or anyone for that matter,  who can strictly kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs should be a priority before fall

Yeah, like those grow on trees, lol.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MS_HogFan on March 18, 2016, 12:29:56 pm
We were 118th in TB %.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category29/sort04.html

Who cares about that.  What I want to see is how we ranked in opposing teams starting field position after kickoff.  That's the only relevant stat that applies to this discussion.

I know a former coach who liked blondes and motorcycles said he preferred to kick to inside the 5, in the deep corner, that he believed that was the best strategy to give the opponent the worst starting field position.

I understand there's a risk of giving up a long return in that, but there's also a chance the opponent could fumble, or their returner could pull some Reggie Fish-type play and end up in really bad field position.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 17, 2016, 11:29:43 pm
Allen locked up that spot pretty quick, it wasnt much of a battle.

Didn't say it was a great battle, but it was a battle. Also, how are you defining quick? Coach hadn't made it official even at the end of spring as I remember, though Allen seemed to put the nail in the coffin during the spring game. For at least half of spring, the two were getting even reps as I remember.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Deep Shoat

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 18, 2016, 02:38:29 pm
Who cares about that.  What I want to see is how we ranked in opposing teams starting field position after kickoff.  That's the only relevant stat that applies to this discussion.

I know a former coach who liked blondes and motorcycles said he preferred to kick to inside the 5, in the deep corner, that he believed that was the best strategy to give the opponent the worst starting field position.

I understand there's a risk of giving up a long return in that, but there's also a chance the opponent could fumble, or their returner could pull some Reggie Fish-type play and end up in really bad field position.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fpa

Per this chart, Arkansas opponent's starting field position was 72.7 yds from the end zone.  While that isn't the metric being ranked here, it does appear to rank well within the top 30-40% of FBS schools.

Anyway, it's the best I could come up with, as this doesn't appear to be a commonly measured statistic.
All Gas, No Brakes!

MS_HogFan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 18, 2016, 02:38:29 pm

Apparently a lot of people care you jerk. It had been discussed in this thread so I looked it up and posted it.
SOOIE

factchecker

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 18, 2016, 11:31:14 am
People on here act like kickers that boot them through the EZ are a dime a dozen.  They aren't.

I agree but it still doesn't stop me from wishing for it to happen.  We were spoiled by Hocker and his 67.24% touchback rate (2012).... he had a slightly lower 43.01% tb rate in 2011.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TheRazorback500

Quote from: MS_HogFan on March 18, 2016, 12:29:56 pm
We were 118th in TB %.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category29/sort04.html
Interesting how we had such a low percentage of touchbacks while only averaging 5 yards less per kickoff than the top team.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MS_HogFan on March 18, 2016, 05:04:58 pm
Apparently a lot of people care you jerk. It had been discussed in this thread so I looked it up and posted it.

I think you misread a tone I wasn't sharing there. My bad.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

nwahogfan1

factchecker

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 19, 2016, 11:36:57 pm
Color me stupid but I see Capps on the OL in a year.

Not stupid at all.

From his signing day bio:

QuoteTotaled over 350 tackles, including more than 60 for loss, and 24 sacks the last three seasons at Star City ... Collected 122 tackles, including 26 for loss, and eight sacks to help Star City to a 9-4 record in 2015 under head coach Jeff Furneaux ... Also played on the offensive line at Star City with 113 pancake blocks

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/749-austin-capps-submits-nli/

It's all dependent on where the coaching staff sees him but I think he would excel at either position.  Austin also seems like a young man who would adapt well to any situation put in front of him.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

redleg

So let's go a little deeper...(revised)
OFFENSE:
QB -
#8 jr. Austin Allen 6'1" 210 lbs. 4.75
#2 soph. Rafe Peavey 6'2" 205 lbs. 4.55
#9 rfr. Ricky Town 6'4" 210 lbs. 4.8
#5 rfr. Ty Storey 6'3" 215 lbs. 4.7
FB -
#41 jr. Chris Jones 5'11" 240 lbs. 4.6
#? fr. Hayden Johnson 6'3" 250 lbs. 4.6
RB -
#22 soph. Rawleigh Williams III 5'10" 220 lbs. 4.5
#24 sr. Kody Walker 6'2" 255 lbs. 4.55
#7 jr. Damon Mitchell 6'2" 215 lbs. 4.45
#39 rfr. Juan Day 6'1" 215 lbs. 4.5
#? fr. Devwah Whaley 6'0" 215 lbs. 4.4
WR -
#4 sr. Keon Hatcher 6'2" 210 lbs. 4.45
#80 sr. Drew Morgan 6'0" 200 lbs. 4.5
#81 sr. Cody Hollister 6'4" 210 lbs. 4.5
#13 rfr. Deon Stewart 5'11" 175 lbs. 4.4
WR -
#87 sr. Dominique Reed 6'3" 190 lbs. 4.35
#1 jr. Jared Cornelius 6'0" 205 lbs. 4.4
#16 rfr. LaMichael Pettway 6'2" 210 lbs. 4.5
#? fr. T.J. Hammonds 5'11" 195 lbs. 4.4
TE -
#83 sr. Jeremy Sprinkle 6'6" 260 lbs. 4.6
#44 rfr. Austin Cantrell 6'4" 250 lbs. 4.55
#11 rfr. Will Gragg 6'4" 250 lbs. 4.7
#85 rfr. C.J. O'Grady 6'4" 245 lbs. 4.6
LT -
#60 soph. Brian Wallace 6'6" 320 lbs.
#74 rfr. Colton Jackson 6'6" 315 lbs.
LG -
#? jr. Deion Malone 6'4" 315 lbs.
#79 rfr. Jalen Merrick 6'4" 335 lbs.
C -
#72 jr. Frank Ragnow 6'5" 315 lbs.
#71 soph. Zach Rogers 6'2" 310 lbs.
RG -
#? soph. Hjalte Froholdt 6'4" 315 lbs.
#? fr. Jake Heinrich 6'4" 300 lbs.
RT -
#70 sr. Dan Skipper 6'10" 335 lbs.
#? jr. Paul Ramirez 6'7" 310 lbs.

DEFENSE:
DE -
#48 sr. Deatrich Wise 6'5" 275 lbs. 4.65
#6 sr. JaMichael Winston 6'4" 265 lbs. 4.7
#0 fr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 290 lbs. 4.65
#95 rfr. Jake Hall 6'5" 270 lbs. 4.8
DT -
#78 jr. Bijhon Jackson 6'2" 325 lbs. 5.1
#86 soph. Armon Watts 6'5" 310 lbs. 4.9
#? fr. Austin Capps 6'4" 310 lbs. 4.9
DT -
#94 sr. Taiwan Johnson 6'2" 295 lbs. 4.9
#54 rfr. T.J. Smith 6'3" 290 lbs. 4.8
#? fr. Briston Guidry 6'3" 296 lbs. 4.9
DE -
#55 sr. Jeremiah Ledbetter 6'3" 285 lbs. 4.75
#97 jr. Tevin Beanum 6'4" 280 lbs. 4.8
#40 rfr. Jamario Bell 6'5" 255 lbs. 4.55
#98 rfr. Daytrieon Dean 6'3" 275 lbs. 4.8
SLB -
#21 sr. Josh Williams 6'2" 240 lbs. 4.5
#27 jr. Khalia Hackett 6'2" 235 lbs. 4.5
#18 rfr. Derrick Graham 6'4" 245 lbs. 4.55
#? soph. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 240 lbs. 4.55
MLB -
#51 sr. Brooks Ellis 6'2" 245 lbs. 4.6
#44 soph. Kendrick Jackson 6'1" 245 lbs. 4.65
#? fr. De'Jon Harris 6'1" 235 lbs. 4.7
#? fr. Giovanni LaFrance 6'1" 240 lbs. 4.7
WLB -
#23 soph. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 230 lbs. 4.5
#35 jr. Dwayne Eugene 6'1" 235 lbs. 4.55
#? fr. Dee Walker 6'3" 220 lbs. 4.55
#? fr. Alexy Jean-Baptiste 6'3" 220 lbs. 4.5
CB -
#29 sr. Jared Collins 6'0" 175 lbs. 4.39
#5 jr. Henre' Tolliver 6'1" 190 lbs. 4.4
#16 jr. Cornelius Floyd 6'0: 185 lbs. 4.4
CB -
#2 sr. D.J. Dean 5'11" 205 lbs. 4.4
#10 soph. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 210 lbs. 4.4
SS -
#28 jr. Josh Liddell 6'1" 210 lbs. 4.45
#8 rfr. Nate Dalton 6'3" 205 lbs. 4.45
#? fr. Deon Edwards 6'0" 19- lbs. 4.4
FS -
#9 soph. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 205 lbs. 4.4
#15 rfr. Willie Sykes 6'0" 190 lbs. 4.4
#30 jr. Kevin Richardson 6'0" 185 lbs. 4.4

SPECIAL TEAMS:
PK -
#9 soph. Cole Hedlund 5'10" 170 lbs.
KR -
#7 jr. Damon Mitchell 6'2" 215 lbs. 4.45 and
#87 sr. Dominque Reed 6'3" 190 lbs. 4.35
P -
#37 sr. Toby Baker 6'2" 205 lbs.
PR -
#1 jr. Jared Cornelius 6'0" 205 lbs. 4.4 or
#? fr. T.J. Hammonds 5'11" 195 lbs. 4.4
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

bennyl08

Assuming this is an opening weak depth chart, other some some minor differences of opinion behind the starters, can't disagree here.

Later in the season, Whaley and Agim among other changes will happen IMO.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 23, 2016, 01:26:08 pm
Assuming this is an opening weak depth chart, other some some minor differences of opinion behind the starters, can't disagree here.

Later in the season, Whaley and Agim among other changes will happen IMO.

I normally don't do this but this time!

Weak-Week

I hope our depth chart is not weak!  LOL

rzrbackramsfan

Arkansas football just out out a video of some of the players working out and they showed peavey for a second, idk why i say this but he looked pretty dang strong for a qb.  Maybe I'm assuming too much though.  Also bijon looks big!

https://www.facebook.com/ArkansasRazorbacks/videos/10153547155666243/

factchecker

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 23, 2016, 08:28:42 pm

Arkansas football just out out a video of some of the players working out and they showed peavey for a second, idk why i say this but he looked pretty dang strong for a qb.  Maybe I'm assuming too much though.  Also bijon looks big!
https://www.facebook.com/ArkansasRazorbacks/videos/10153547155666243/

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/712299539412062208
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 23, 2016, 05:02:14 pm
I normally don't do this but this time!

Weak-Week

I hope our depth chart is not weak!  LOL

womp womp :( :(

I don't always mess up grammar, but when I do, I make sure it is something a second grader should know...

redleg

I was fairly close.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Bret-Bielemas-unofficial-depth-chart-as-spring-drills-start-44522259

I like the move of Ledbetter from DE to DT, and Dalton from CB to safety.

redleg

So it looks like the starters are beginning to form up, although there could easily be some changes this fall.
OFFENSE:
QB - Austin Allen
FB - Chris Jones
TB - take your pick...Walker, Williams, Mitchell, Whaley?
WR - Keon Hatcher
WR - Jared Cornelius
TE - Jeremy Sprinkle
LT - Colton Jackson
LG - Hjalte Froholdt
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Brian Wallace
RT - Dan Skipper

DEFENSE:
RE - Deatrich Wise
DT - Jeremiah Ledbetter
NG - Taiwan Johnson
DE - Tevin Beanum
SLB - Josh Williams
MLB - Brooks Ellis
WLB - Dre Greenlaw
CB - Jared Colins
CB - DJ Dean
SS - Josh Liddell
FS - Santos Ramirez
That a pretty good starting lineup.  ???

VirginiaHog

Pretty close accept for Josh Williams.

RebelW

OL- skipper is at RT, Wallace is at RG, Ragnow at C, Froholdt at LG, Jackson at LT

ricepig

Quote from: RebelW on April 14, 2016, 04:27:13 pm
OL- skipper is at RT, Wallace is at RG, Ragnow at C, Froholdt at LG, Jackson at LT

Today, or actually, the other day, stay tuned!

FANONTHEHILL

Oline is a  work in progress. Running with the 2's the last 3 practices were:
LT Johnny Gibson LG Jalen Merrick C Zach Rogers RG Deion Malone RT Cooper Sone

They all work multiple spots and it looks like we are still a top 8, plug in and play, rather than a true two deep. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Lake City Hog

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that Game 1 will see Ty Storey as the #2 guy.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Coach B came out about 2 months ago saying Allen would begin spring as the #1 guy and peavey would be the #2. Allen has held on to that position, and after the practice statistics, I don't see why Rafe wouldn't either
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FANONTHEHILL

Today's practice (4-16) featured a lot of guys plugged in with the first and second teams.  Lots of different groups working together, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.  I can  say that without a  doubt, this team had the deepest quality depth of any Arkansas team I've seen.  Wise, Ledbetter, Johnson, Jackson, Winston, Agim, Smith, Watts, Marks, Lewis,
Dean.  This is an amazing group.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Dionysos25

SMH @ OP. people and their obsession with the "new guy on the roster". There's no reason to believe that Ricky Town is going to jump Ty and Rafe.. He may.. but there's currently no reason to believe that. He's not shown it on the field..
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 16, 2016, 01:36:41 pm
Today's practice (4-16) featured a lot of guys plugged in with the first and second teams.  Lots of different groups working together, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.  I can  say that without a  doubt, this team had the deepest quality depth of any Arkansas team I've seen.  Wise, Ledbetter, Johnson, Jackson, Winston, Agim, Smith, Watts, Marks, Lewis,
Dean.  This is an amazing group.

Amazing?  Wow, hope so.

I'd like to withhold such a statement for a group that leads us to an SECC with a #1 SEC defense, if you don't mind.

Billy Ray Smith was amazing.  Maybe Sosa will perform at such a level some day.

sickboy

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 17, 2016, 02:26:02 pm
Amazing?  Wow, hope so.

I'd like to withhold such a statement for a group that leads us to an SECC with a #1 SEC defense, if you don't mind.

Billy Ray Smith was amazing.  Maybe Sosa will perform at such a level some day.

To be fair, you can have an amazing unit and not be the #1 defense in the SEC and win an SECC. No doubt, Billy Ray Smith was great back in the day and played for a great defense, but you can't really compare two different eras like that because the competition is completely different.

I'll be happy if our defense gets back to 2014 form. To me, that'd be amazing.

redleg

I feel fairly confident that they will, and maybe even be a little better thanks to some added quality depth. 2017 will be a rebuilding year on that side of the ball, but 2018 should be really good again (IF recruiting keeps up the pace).

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: sickboy on April 17, 2016, 03:15:56 pm
To be fair, you can have an amazing unit and not be the #1 defense in the SEC and win an SECC. No doubt, Billy Ray Smith was great back in the day and played for a great defense, but you can't really compare two different eras like that because the competition is completely different.

I'll be happy if our defense gets back to 2014 form. To me, that'd be amazing.

It would make me very happy, I know that for sure!!

And I think it could be IF IF IF IF perhaps maybe 3 kids step up this fall big time.  We need an explosive pass rush presence, a dependable third LB, and improved safety play.

redleg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 19, 2016, 09:21:12 am
It would make me very happy, I know that for sure!!

And I think it could be IF IF IF IF perhaps maybe 3 kids step up this fall big time.  We need an explosive pass rush presence, a dependable third LB, and improved safety play.

Pass rush - Wise and Agim
third LB - Williams, or Hatcher, or Ramsey
improved safety play - Liddell and Ramirez should be better, but look for Dalton to hit someone REALLY hard a few times.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Lake City Hog on April 14, 2016, 10:05:17 pm
I am willing to go out on a limb and say that Game 1 will see Ty Storey as the #2 guy.

And I'll climb out on my own limb and say that, barring an injury, you are wrong.

;)

redleg

New depth chart...this is who I think will be in the two-deep by Game 1:
OFFENSE
QB -
#9 jr Austin Allen 6'1" 208 lbs. 4.75
#8 soph. Rafe Peavey 6'2" 203 lbs. 4.55
RB -
#24 sr. Kody Walker 6'2" 243 lbs. 4.5
#22 soph. Rawleigh Williams 5'10" 224 lbs. 4.5
#21 fr. Devwah Whaley 6'0" 215 lbs. 4.4
WR -
#4 sr Keon Hatcher 6'2" 218 lbs. 4.45
#81 sr. Cody Hollister 6'4" 208 lbs. 4.5
WR -
#1 jr. Jared Cornelius 6'0" 211 lbs. 4.4
#3 sr. Dominque Reed 6'3" 180 lbs. 4.36
WR -
#80 sr. Drew Morgan 6'0" 195 lbs. 4.5
#14 sr. Eric Hawkins 5'11" 175 lbs. 4.4
TE -
#83 sr. Jeremy Sprinkle 6'6" 255 lbs. 4.6
#44 rfr. Austin Cantrell 6'4" 252 lbs. 4.55
LT -
#74 rfr. Colton Jackson 6'6" 305 lbs.
#62 soph. Johnny Gibson 6'4" 343 lbs. ...  ???
LG -
#51 soph. Hjalte Frodholdt 6'4" 309 lbs.
#79 rfr. Jalen Merrick 6'4" 329 lbs.
C -
#72 jr. Frank Ragnow 6'5" 314 lbs.
#75 soph. Zach Rogers 6'1" 303 lbs.
RG -
#60 soph. Brian Wallace 6'6" 326 lbs.
#73 jr. Deion Malone 6'3" 300 lbs.
RT -
#70 sr. Dan Skipper 6'10" 326 lbs.

DEFENSE
RE -
#48 sr. Deatrich Wise 6'5" 280 lbs. 4.65
#3 fr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 288 lbs. 4.65
DT -
#55 sr. Jeremiah Ledbetter 6'3" 280 lbs. 4.8
#52 rfr. T.J. Smith 6'3" 284 lbs. 4.8
NG -
#94 sr. Taiwan Johnson 6'2" 287 lbs. 4.85
#78 jr. Bijhon Jackson 6'2" 332 lbs. 5.1
DE -
#97 jr. Tevin Beanum 6'5" 272 lbs. 4.75
#6 sr. JaMichael Winston 6'4" 265 lbs. 4.75
SLB -
#21 sr. Josh Williams 6'1" 241 lbs. 4.5
#10 soph. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 230 lbs. 4.5
MLB -
#51 sr. Brooks Ellis 6'2" 248 lbs. 4.5
#44 soph. Kendrick Jackson 6'1" 250 lbs. 4.6
WLB -
#23 soph. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 231 lbs. 4.5
#27 jr. Khalia Hackett 6'2" 216 lbs. 4.5
CB -
#29 sr. Jared Collins 6'0" 175 lbs. 4.38
#5 jr. Henre' Tolliver 6'1" 183 lbs. 4.4
CB -
#2 sr. D.J. Dean 5'11" 197 lbs. 4.4
#1 soph. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195 lbs. 4.4
SS -
#28 jr. Josh Liddell 6'1" 210 lbs. 4.4
#8 rfr. Nate Dalton 6'3" 204 lbs. 4.45
FS -
#9 soph. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 202 lbs. 4.4
#20 jr. De'Andre Coley 6'1" 209 lbs. 4.45

DeltaBoy

We still got plenty of Pork on the O-line!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: redleg on April 27, 2016, 11:27:45 am
New depth chart...this is who I think will be in the two-deep by Game 1:
OFFENSE
QB -
#9 jr Austin Allen 6'1" 208 lbs. 4.75
#8 soph. Rafe Peavey 6'2" 203 lbs. 4.55
RB -
#24 sr. Kody Walker 6'2" 243 lbs. 4.5
#22 soph. Rawleigh Williams 5'10" 224 lbs. 4.5
#21 fr. Devwah Whaley 6'0" 215 lbs. 4.4
WR -
#4 sr Keon Hatcher 6'2" 218 lbs. 4.45
#81 sr. Cody Hollister 6'4" 208 lbs. 4.5
WR -
#1 jr. Jared Cornelius 6'0" 211 lbs. 4.4
#3 sr. Dominque Reed 6'3" 180 lbs. 4.36
WR -
#80 sr. Drew Morgan 6'0" 195 lbs. 4.5
#14 sr. Eric Hawkins 5'11" 175 lbs. 4.4
TE -
#83 sr. Jeremy Sprinkle 6'6" 255 lbs. 4.6
#44 rfr. Austin Cantrell 6'4" 252 lbs. 4.55
LT -
#74 rfr. Colton Jackson 6'6" 305 lbs.
#62 soph. Johnny Gibson 6'4" 343 lbs. ...  ???
LG -
#51 soph. Hjalte Frodholdt 6'4" 309 lbs.
#79 rfr. Jalen Merrick 6'4" 329 lbs.
C -
#72 jr. Frank Ragnow 6'5" 314 lbs.
#75 soph. Zach Rogers 6'1" 303 lbs.
RG -
#60 soph. Brian Wallace 6'6" 326 lbs.
#73 jr. Deion Malone 6'3" 300 lbs.
RT -
#70 sr. Dan Skipper 6'10" 326 lbs.

DEFENSE
RE -
#48 sr. Deatrich Wise 6'5" 280 lbs. 4.65
#3 fr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 288 lbs. 4.65
DT -
#55 sr. Jeremiah Ledbetter 6'3" 280 lbs. 4.8
#52 rfr. T.J. Smith 6'3" 284 lbs. 4.8
NG -
#94 sr. Taiwan Johnson 6'2" 287 lbs. 4.85
#78 jr. Bijhon Jackson 6'2" 332 lbs. 5.1
DE -
#97 jr. Tevin Beanum 6'5" 272 lbs. 4.75
#6 sr. JaMichael Winston 6'4" 265 lbs. 4.75
SLB -
#21 sr. Josh Williams 6'1" 241 lbs. 4.5
#10 soph. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 230 lbs. 4.5
MLB -
#51 sr. Brooks Ellis 6'2" 248 lbs. 4.5
#44 soph. Kendrick Jackson 6'1" 250 lbs. 4.6
WLB -
#23 soph. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 231 lbs. 4.5
#27 jr. Khalia Hackett 6'2" 216 lbs. 4.5
CB -
#29 sr. Jared Collins 6'0" 175 lbs. 4.38
#5 jr. Henre' Tolliver 6'1" 183 lbs. 4.4
CB -
#2 sr. D.J. Dean 5'11" 197 lbs. 4.4
#1 soph. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195 lbs. 4.4
SS -
#28 jr. Josh Liddell 6'1" 210 lbs. 4.4
#8 rfr. Nate Dalton 6'3" 204 lbs. 4.45
FS -
#9 soph. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 202 lbs. 4.4
#20 jr. De'Andre Coley 6'1" 209 lbs. 4.45

Is this your depth chart, or from the UA?

bennyl08

2016 post-spring                                                    2013 post-spring
OFFENSE
QB -
#9 jr Austin Allen 6'1" 208 lbs. 4.75                          Brandon Allen (3 year starter, nil draft candidate)
#8 soph. Rafe Peavey 6'2" 203 lbs. 4.55                    Brandon Mitchell (BM transferred post spring leaving us with Derby)
RB -
#24 sr. Kody Walker 6'2" 243 lbs. 4.5                        JWill (on to the draft this year, 2 year starter)
#22 soph. Rawleigh Williams 5'10" 224 lbs. 4.5          Nate Holmes OR (transfer)
#21 fr. Devwah Whaley 6'0" 215 lbs. 4.4                   Kody Walker (Collins came in to be co-starter, Walker is now projected starter)
WR -
#4 sr Keon Hatcher 6'2" 218 lbs. 4.45                       Demetrius Wilson
#81 sr. Cody Hollister 6'4" 208 lbs. 4.5                      MeKale McKay (Wilson was injured and McKay transferred, physically he would
                                                                              would be a great prospect, bad hands though has him looking at being udfa)
WR -
#1 jr. Jared Cornelius 6'0" 211 lbs. 4.4                     Julian Horton
#3 sr. Dominque Reed 6'3" 180 lbs. 4.36                  Keon Hatcher (Hatcher is a projected starter now)
WR -
#80 sr. Drew Morgan 6'0" 195 lbs. 4.5                      Javontee Herndon
#14 sr. Eric Hawkins 5'11" 175 lbs. 4.4                     D'Arthur Cowan (Herndon is in the NFL now, Cowan at some point was kicked off iirc)
TE -
#83 sr. Jeremy Sprinkle 6'6" 255 lbs. 4.6                  Mitchell Loewen
#44 rfr. Austin Cantrell 6'4" 252 lbs. 4.55                 Austin Tate (Henry would come in to start, Loewen eventually moved to DL)
LT -
#74 rfr. Colton Jackson 6'6" 305 lbs.                        David Hurd
#62 soph. Johnny Gibson 6'4" 343 lbs. ...  ???          Austin Beck
LG -
#51 soph. Hjalte Frodholdt 6'4" 309 lbs.                  Mitch Smothers (Smothers was a multi year starter, likely will be an UDFA)
#79 rfr. Jalen Merrick 6'4" 329 lbs.                          Jonathan McClure (Skipper and Kirkland would come in to take the guard spots)
C -
#72 jr. Frank Ragnow 6'5" 314 lbs.                        Travis Swanson
#75 soph. Zach Rogers 6'1" 303 lbs.                      Jonathan McClure (Swanson would go on to the NFL)
RG -
#60 soph. Brian Wallace 6'6" 326 lbs.                    Brey Cook
#73 jr. Deion Malone 6'3" 300 lbs.                         Cordale Boyd (Cook would kick out to RT with Skipper and Kirkland coming in, both now
                                                                           NFL draft candidates)
RT -
#70 sr. Dan Skipper 6'10" 326 lbs.                        Grady Ollison
#? jr. Paul Ramirez 6'7" 310 lbs.                           Chris Stringer (see above)

DEFENSE
RE -
#48 sr. Deatrich Wise 6'5" 280 lbs. 4.65                Chris Smith (Smith would eventually go to the NFL)
#3 fr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 288 lbs. 4.65                  JaMichael Winston (Winston has been multiyear starter/key rotational player)
DT -
#55 sr. Jeremiah Ledbetter 6'3" 280 lbs. 4.8          Robert Thomas
#52 rfr. T.J. Smith 6'3" 284 lbs. 4.8                       Darius Philon (Thomas would get injured, both now in NFL)
NG -
#94 sr. Taiwan Johnson 6'2" 287 lbs. 4.85              Byran Jones
#78 jr. Bijhon Jackson 6'2" 332 lbs. 5.1                 Demarcus Hodge (Both good players, Jones went underrated and Hodge likely too)
DE -
#97 jr. Tevin Beanum 6'5" 272 lbs. 4.75                 Trey Flowers
#6 sr. JaMichael Winston 6'4" 265 lbs. 4.75            Deatrich Wise Jr (Flowers now in the NFL, Wise has since become our best pass rusher)
SLB -
#21 sr. Josh Williams 6'1" 241 lbs. 4.5                   Braylon Mitchell
#10 soph. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 230 lbs. 4.5            Austin Jones
MLB -
#51 sr. Brooks Ellis 6'2" 248 lbs. 4.5                     Duante Carr
#44 soph. Kendrick Jackson 6'1" 250 lbs. 4.6        Robert Atiga (Ellis would eventually come in and start)
WLB -
#23 soph. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 231 lbs. 4.5              Jarrett Lake
#27 jr. Khalia Hackett 6'2" 216 lbs. 4.5                 Otha Peters (Otha would later transfer)
CB -
#29 sr. Jared Collins 6'0" 175 lbs. 4.38                 Tevin Mitchel
#5 jr. Henre' Tolliver 6'1" 183 lbs. 4.4                   Carrol Washington (Tevin would eventually go on to the NFL)
CB -
#2 sr. D.J. Dean 5'11" 197 lbs. 4.4                      Jared Collins
#1 soph. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195 lbs. 4.4               Will Hines (Hines eventually transferred, Collins has been multi-year starter)
SS -
#28 jr. Josh Liddell 6'1" 210 lbs. 4.4                   Rohan Gaines
#8 rfr. Nate Dalton 6'3" 204 lbs. 4.45                  TQ Coleman  (Gaines was a multi-year starter, likely UDFA)
FS -
#9 soph. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 202 lbs. 4.4          Eric Bennett
#20 jr. De'Andre Coley 6'1" 209 lbs. 4.45            Alan Turner OR Kelvin Fisher Jr (Fisher would later transfer)

P: Toby Baker                                                   Hocker
                                                                       Baker (Hocker would eventually get drafted)
K: McFain                                                        Hocker
Hedlund                                                           Henson (See above)