Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvel better have killed someone

Started by Wooderson, December 05, 2017, 09:27:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

hawgon

In all seriousness there is nothing to any of this.  If any of this were true, he never would have been in the running.  If he hadn't been in the running, he wouldn't have waited until after Morris was more or less announced to sign his extension.

Piggfoot

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones when strange is concerned.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hawgon on December 05, 2017, 09:49:54 pm
In all seriousness there is nothing to any of this.  If any of this were true, he never would have been in the running.  If he hadn't been in the running, he wouldn't have waited until after Morris was more or less announced to sign his extension.

Yes there is, unfortunately.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Acehawg

IronHog

Quote from: hawgon on December 05, 2017, 09:49:54 pm

Something is up......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

He was allergic to poonanny and his pecker would swell up if he got too close to it...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

JONAS

Quote from: hogz11 on December 05, 2017, 09:56:07 pm
You're off base. With all of the openings and all the names floating around, it's become clear that NOT ONE school offered Norvell a job. One of the hottest names didn't come close to a job. That carries all of the weight needed. Tennessee still desperately needs a coach and they never even looked Norvell's way despite him coaching in their state!

There's some teeth to the issues. If it isn't true, I firmly believe Norvell would already be the Razorback head coach.

There has to be.  I work in Memphis.  I talk to a lot of Memphis fans.  It has never come up.  They act like it was made up by Ole Miss because he told them no.

hawgtime

Quote from: Acehawg on December 05, 2017, 09:38:29 pm
Morris was nicer in the interviews?  Gift of gab?

Jeeesh, Morris must have really impressed to overcome the difference in his resume versus the others in the running!

Wooderson

Even IF true write a strict personal conduct clause in his contract that allows for termination if he participates in any of the undesired behavior.  The man is a winner and is just getting started.  I want him out of Memphis because he is going to be trouble for us.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

UA1985

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 09:27:58 pm
In no way does any statistic back up hiring Morris over Norvell.  It's not reasonable.  Whatever spooked the UofA better have been substantial.
That's ridiculous. No one hires coaches based on statistics. Norvell inherited a turned-around program whereas Morris was actually having to execute a turnaround at SMU. Apples and oranges. Here in Dallas this afternoon, the sports talk I heard was that Arkansas made a great hire. Here in Dallas, Morris is a bigger name than Norvell. I'm sure east of the Mississippi, Norvell's name is bigger.

redneckfriend

Quote from: thebignasty on December 05, 2017, 09:34:06 pm
Seems odd that he got no run at any of the 20 million jobs that were open at the end of the season, right?

I mean not even Ole Miss.

It is odd, more than odd really and it says a lot. And beyond that, however one feels about Morris (I'm not optimistic), I don't think this "Norvell or bust" mentality makes much sense. He hasn't even come close to proving he can cut it in the SEC west where a stellar defense is a necessity.

Norvell was my favorite pick. His on field performance warrants our job, or many others.

But the fact that he got no play at any school strongly indicates to me that all of these rumors have some substance.

Of course, many on Hogville previously said that they had no substance, but Ole Miss posters started the rumors. That story changed.

Wooderson

Quote from: UA1985 on December 05, 2017, 10:05:24 pm
That's ridiculous. No one hires coaches based on statistics. Norvell inherited a turned-around program whereas Morris was actually having to execute a turnaround at SMU. Apples and oranges. Here in Dallas this afternoon, the sports talk I heard was that Arkansas made a great hire. Here in Dallas, Morris is a bigger name than Norvell. I'm sure east of the Mississippi, Norvell's name is bigger.

You realize that the majority of starters on Memphis team were recruited by Norvell right, or did you just choose to ignore that?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: TexasHog on December 05, 2017, 09:31:54 pm
What about Lane?

Lane told them to go to hell....

After they offered him the job and then unoffered the job and then when Golden boy went to pieces Saturday, they went with hats in hands and wanted another interview.

What would have been your move?

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 05, 2017, 09:33:11 pm
And yet Memphis gave him a raise and an extension.

I've heard the rumors myself and still not sure I'm buying it. Sounds like rumors and innuendo.

2 search firms booted him out. This is along the lines of what they discovered.

So you tell me?

PRJ

HogCzar1

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 05, 2017, 09:50:58 pm
Yes there is, unfortunately.

If it is that bad, then it does need to come out.

If it prevented every school from hiring him, then shouldn't this eventually come out?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 10:07:42 pm
You realize that the majority of starters on Memphis team were recruited by Norvell right, or did you just choose to ignore that?

Seems most every other school is choosing to ignore it, as well.

texas tush hog

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 05, 2017, 09:31:40 pm
Highly doubt that, or memphis would have fired him. Great coaches have big egos and the PTB  couldn't swallow their pride and pull the trigger

No, instead they gave him a 5 year contract extension, and a raise to $2.6 million a year.

IronHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 05, 2017, 10:07:44 pm

After they offered him the job and then unoffered the job and then when Golden boy went to pieces Saturday, they went with hats in hands and wanted another interview.

PRJ

So Norvell has "issues" but they offered Freshwater Fratty the job?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2017, 10:10:07 pm

If it prevented every school from hiring him, then why wouldn't this be a national story?

Because search firms doing vetting usually don't publicize their findings.

Argue all you wish, but why hasn't he been hired by anyone else?
Even a Tennessee is still open.

azhog10

Quote from: duckman on December 05, 2017, 09:29:00 pm
It was....

Well that's what she said.
Please. Shouldn't have held them back. Morris doesn't deserve 3-4million a year and will struggle in the SEC. he's a Dan Enos type of hire.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 09:33:35 pm
I don't care if he had mistresses.  I don't care if he gambled as long as it wasn't on games.  I don't care if he sent pics to chicks.

It would take a sexual assault, murder, or current alcohol/drug addiction to stay clear in my opinion.

I'm tired of being the responsible program who sucks.  Hell Oklahoma is about to play a rb in the playoffs accused of rape.  Yet we can't make a risky hire to end the drought of zero conference championships in 29 years.

Then you should have rode up and punched Jeff Long right in the kisser because he ran off a dude who was a straight OG winner for that.

I mean hell, in today's world when somebody wanted to claim this or that, he would be gone....I ain't saying it is right...it is the nature of the day.

But for the doubters....why ain't Tenner, Arkansas, FSU or any other opening interviewed him? It wasn't because this job was sewed up if Springdale Jesus said no.

PRJ

HogCzar1

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 05, 2017, 10:10:56 pm
Because search firms doing vetting usually don't publicize their findings.

That's true. But it doesn't stop sports writers from writing columns.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: IronHog on December 05, 2017, 10:10:36 pm

Quote from: IronHog on December 05, 2017, 10:10:36 pm

Kiffin hasn't did anything like this.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2017, 10:12:57 pm

In Arkansas?

LMAO.

PRJ

PigInTheHole

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 05, 2017, 10:12:57 pm
Kiffin hasn't did anything like this.

PRJ

Kiffin said no, what a pimp

#kiffinlife
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: azhog10 on December 05, 2017, 10:12:15 pm
Please. Shouldn't have held them back. Morris doesn't deserve 3-4million a year and will struggle in the SEC. he's a Dan Enos type of hire.

I believe you are wrong about this.

Especially if he was to pull Venables.

PRJ

Unnamed Source

Quote from: hawgon on December 05, 2017, 09:37:40 pm
He also is rumored to prefer oak smoked brisket to ribs.

Prefers wet to dry.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2017, 10:12:57 pm

Some things are better left unsaid. Besides, you can contact them and ask why.

duckman

PRJ

Bingo...

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: azhog10 on December 05, 2017, 10:12:15 pm

You watched the news recently?

PRJ

(notOM)Rebel123

TebowHater

People thinking this is a conspiracy are unbelievable. I am the biggest detractor from this current administration and this awful hire in my opinion.

But I can confirm, unequivocally, Norvell has been out of the picture for weeks. They wanted to hire him. He was among the first two people the search firm vetted. Even before the search firm's existence became public news.

This was a no brainer hire that would have made the fanbase happy. It was never even thought by Jerry he could pull any sort of coup to get CM in the picture at that point. Morris wasn't interviewed until after Norvell was already ruled out.

InternetDrama

Quote from: B Ray on December 05, 2017, 09:39:56 pm
University wasn't willing to go down that road and roll the dice

I see what you did there.
Texas still sucks.

Acehawg

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2017, 10:10:07 pm

If it prevented every school from hiring him, then shouldn't this eventually come out?

No other school hired him. Its a red flag.

Semohog

This hire will not put butts in the seats. That is the bottom line in my opinion.

JONAS

PRJ

This sucks.  Losing Kiffin because we waited on Gus.

Wooderson

So the interim AD made an offer without approval and the GOBN squashed her to wait on Gus?

HogCzar1

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 05, 2017, 10:13:30 pm
In Arkansas?

LMAO.

PRJ

No question in Arkansas. But national writers can make a name for themselves with such a scoop.

IronHog

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: TexasHog on December 05, 2017, 09:31:54 pm
What about Lane?

Seems obvious to me. . .Lane wants to go back to Tenn.  But the new AD apparently has a dislike for Lane.

Read that Les Miles may be a strong candidate for the Tn job.

Matt Burks

What is Norvell a potential for sexual harassment cases or something?

duckman

For those questioning this, a hypothetical question....

Lets says there were some damning pics or information that suggested misconduct towards women.   Lets say two years into his new job this came out.  In today's climate what would happen?  Answer:  Petrino 2.0.....

Why would he still be at Memphis?  Because he is already there and nothing has been publically alleged....

Matt Burks

Quote from: duckman on December 05, 2017, 10:25:54 pm

Lets says there were some damning pics or information that suggested misconduct towards women.   Lets say two years into his new job this came out.  In today's climate what would happen?  Answer:  Petrino 2.0.....

Why would he still be at Memphis?  Because he is already there and nothing has been publically alleged....
Like an Anthony Weiner type deal?

Jonbo

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 09:27:58 pm
In no way does any statistic back up hiring Morris over Norvell.  It's not reasonable.  Whatever spooked the UofA better have been substantial.
My guess is it's something or things that when they occurred several years ago were no huge deal, and never had been, but in these neo-puritanical hysterical times are considered grounds  for mandatory shunning if you don't want a mob of self-righteous morality enforces coming after your organization, in this case the university athletic department, with torches and pitchforks.

IronHog

Quote from: duckman on December 05, 2017, 10:25:54 pm

Any HC candidate better be straight or discrete in today's climate

UA chose straight.  Can't blame them

Matt Burks

I'll say if his wife files for divorce soon that will be confirmation

Jonbo

Stu

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 09:46:44 pm
We have to win and it is time to win at ANY cost.  We have fallen so far that we are on the brink of becoming irrelevant. 

Not at any cost, sir.   Winning is not worth NCAA sanction.  Lane was my first choice behind Gus, Norvell was my second.  Reading the explanations, helps me understand why we have Morris.   I'm not convinced Leach would have been a good fit, here.   But, really, it doesn't matter who we would have gotten, there was going to be a part of the fan base that was not going to be happy, take it personal, and throw a hissy fit like a 2-year old child.

Be that as it may, my wish would be that the Razorback Nation would unite as one and give the man a chance (Hogville has already proven there are going to be a lot that won't give him a chance and that's unfortunate).   I've done a lot of reading on him and I think he just may be the tonic our football team needs.   Who knows, he may surprise some of you guys in a good way.   

There's no way I would guarantee that Coach Morris will be successful, just like I had no idea Hatfield was going to be successful when he came here with a losing record from the Air Force Academy, or Brett Beilema wasn't going to be successful after his winning record at Wisconsin.   Time will tell...when you are as old as I am you tend to remember things don't always turn out like you would have expected them to - life is full of pleasant surprises.