Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has there ever been a less well recieved coaching hire?

Started by woo.pig, December 05, 2017, 08:09:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RockyMtnHog

"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

RebelliousHog

Prolly not, but we have a lot of idiots too, so there's that.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

corpitguy

Justifiable Hogicide

USChog

Lanlord

NotSoFastMyFriend

East TN HAWG

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 05, 2017, 08:12:25 pm
I think that J.L. Smith is a close 2nd.
It was an interim thing.  I think most of the fan base actually thought he could keep it together for one year.  We thought we had a good team with a chance. 

It was not like this. 

East TN HAWG

synthartist69

Jack Crowe and John L and you see how that worked out....

Broadway Rob

Quote from: corpitguy on December 05, 2017, 08:13:11 pm
Our fan base is an embarrassment.

Because we don't bow down to the notion that an amazing OC can't field a decent defense to save his life, but somehow we're supposed to believe he's a good head coach?  Sheep follow the herd and don't think for themselves.  Don't be a sheep sir. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Lanlord on December 05, 2017, 08:14:16 pm
He was first on my list.

He was an after market regret.  I remember thinking he might be able to keep the train from going off the rails.  Little did we know that he was the one driving it over the cliff. 

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Athog

Darth Hognutts

You've got to have the heart of the HOG!

Athog

Quote from: Broadway Rob on December 05, 2017, 08:16:34 pm
Because we don't bow down to the notion that an amazing OC can't field a decent defense to save his life, but somehow we're supposed to believe he's a good head coach?  Sheep follow the herd and don't think for themselves.  Don't be a sheep sir. 

Don't be a dick!!

Dropkick

East TN HAWG

Jim Harris

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on December 05, 2017, 08:13:16 pm
NO.
Chad Morris is easily the most disappointing.

Probably why he'll end up being the best they've had since at least the 1980s. That's how it kinda works around here.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

BigBrandonAllenFan

I'm warming up to it.

I think there is an initial shock factor with this hire.

Gotta roll with it now.

Bogghawg

Your question implies the reaction on this board is typical across the state. Hogville is not representative of our fan base. (Irony: This is my 2,000th post) 
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

dfwalumdad

Darren DeLoach

How about HDN, Crowe, Smith, Ford....and I wanted JJ and we got Kenny. All disappointment for me at the time.

Didn't want Gus. Knew Norvell had personal issues...so expected Morris.

Hope it works
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 05, 2017, 08:20:53 pm
Probably why he'll end up being the best they've had since at least the 1980s. That's how it kinda works around here.

Jim, you may be right, however all of the data I am seeing suggests he's nothing more than an awesome AD who has become a mediocre head coach.

GringoHog

All you CM Naysayers. Stick to your sucky day job. Let Chad Morris handle Razorback football.
"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

jgphillips3

Crowe was the only one that was as big of a head scratcher.  At the time, remember, everyone thought John L., could keep the thing running that Petrino had built and we knew he was temporary.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Athog on December 05, 2017, 08:19:32 pm
Don't be a dick!!

Listen bro, you can like the hire all you want, that's your right.  For me, all the data I'm seeing screams terrible hire.  Bo Mattingly can trot out all the experts to tell us how great the hire is, but if you do 5 minutes of research, you may have a different opinion, as I do.

Doyle Hograves

At least we knew going in that JLS would only be here for a year... We paid Bert 11M for the privilege of hiring this jack wagon...
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: beardedgeego on December 05, 2017, 08:23:03 pm
All you CM Naysayers. Stick to your sucky day job. Let Chad Morris handle Razorback football.

Cause he's killing it at SMU!  Or... something like that.

toxichog

I think the VAST majority will receive him very welll......especially after they hear him speak and watch him work.  This board is not indicative of the fan base in general.  To satisfy this board.........it would have taken Saban, Dabo, or maybe Gruden to have everybody think it was great and come together. 

dpetty121263

Think a percentage of the base went AWOL over Gus.many thought he walked on water and give the 11-12 wins with the wave of his hand...Let's simmer down and give the man a chance...and welcome him!

Doyle Hograves

I wanted anybody but this guy... Hell, I'd beg Bert to come back.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

STLhawg

That is SO true -- at least the ones representing around here!!!  I can only hope our overall fan base isn't so dense or deranged.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 05, 2017, 08:20:53 pm

Maybe so. But the obvious coordinated effort by talk show hosts, and other media who cover the Razorbacks to prepare the fan base for this hire is suspicious.

I think Razorback fans will certainly give him a chance. However, this is not a sexy hire no matter how you spin it. And, the patience within the fan base will not be lengthy.

And if the young coaches that we passed on become even more successful then this hire will be even more difficult to sell moving forward.

Dr. Starcs

The gobn got straight up played by Gus. Twice.

And we the fans bend over and take it. Bs

Tone

Quote from: HarrisonHog on December 05, 2017, 08:29:47 pm

I think he once said that coaches are most popular the day they are hired, then it goes down after.

STLhawg

Quote from: Doyle Hograves on December 05, 2017, 08:29:55 pm
I wanted anybody but this guy... Hell, I'd beg Bert to come back.
Are you really THAT ignorant?  How much do you know about SMU and the situation Morris came into there.  I 'm betting you've done ZERO research on your own into the coach, but somehow you think you are an expert (rather or more like a lemming).

ATLHog

Quote from: Lanlord on December 05, 2017, 08:14:16 pm
He was first on my list.
Smith and Bielema. I seem to remember the collective disappointment when he was announced- especially when so many of us thought Gundy, Patterson, or Petersen would be it.

pigmania

Our inability to hire a coach with a winning record and a decent recruiting ranking is what's an embarrassment.

Razor1997

Quote from: toxichog on December 05, 2017, 08:28:01 pm
I think the VAST majority will receive him very welll......especially after they hear him speak and watch him work.  This board is not indicative of the fan base in general.  To satisfy this board.........it would have taken Saban, Dabo, or maybe Gruden to have everybody think it was great and come together.

Saban? Really? That loser can't beat Auburn.

STLhawg

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2017, 08:34:13 pm
And if the young coaches that we passed on become even more successful then this hire will be even more difficult to sell moving forward.
Just who did we pass on besides Norvell?  If he is so great (right now), why didn't someone snatch him?  He wouldn't have resigned with Memphis if Tennessee was talking to him.  The fact they are desperate and still didn't want him should raise some red flags. 

wedge56

Based on the praise heaped on Morris from outstanding football coaches, I would guess there have been plenty.

Piggfoot

Bielema's record his first three years here is better than Morris' at SMU. I am not going to turn back flips. Think about that and we're down 16 million. I can only hope for the best. Im anxiously awaiting on the announced staff.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Dropkick

Quote from: HarrisonHog on December 05, 2017, 08:29:47 pm
Quote from: Bogghawg on December 05, 2017, 08:21:23 pm
Your question implies the reaction on this board is typical across the state. Hogville is not representative of our fan base. (Irony: This is my 2,000th post) 
I swung by my country club after work. To my knowledge I'm the only one that frequents Hogville. To a man they are all extremely disappointed.

jgphillips3

Quote from: STLhawg on December 05, 2017, 08:41:02 pm
Just who did we pass on besides Norvell?  If he is so great (right now), why didn't someone snatch him?  He wouldn't have resigned with Memphis if Tennessee was talking to him.  The fact they are desperate and still didn't want him should raise some red flags. 

Kiffin was definitely on the board.

OptimusHog

I don't like the hire & I certainly won't be coming from out of state for the opening of the...Morris Movement...or whatever. But it wasn't my decision & I'm an alumni so I'm in this for life.

OptimusHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 05, 2017, 08:43:05 pm
Kiffin was definitely on the board.
He was my choice. Man I can't believe we missed on him.