Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to move on from Bret Bielema

Started by PorkRinds, November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ash

For those saying he left the program in a better place. Our lines are shambles. Our record is awful. Our academics are the second worst in the SEC.

The impression he and Long gave is not reality. Go do the research.

twistitup

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 25, 2017, 07:07:51 am
Half the posters around here have been chirping all season about how the players had quit or how they didn't like bielema. Obviously you were wrong and THAT is part of the op's point. But its done now and bielema seemed to go out classy with nothing but good words about arkansas. Ya'll should move on now. Go direct your misery somewhere else.
CBB needed to go - that's the bottom line
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Swestwill66

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:35:23 pm
He was fired as he walked off the field, but it took place in an office. I suppose that makes it better?
When I were the age of these players,I worked for a guy that would have walked up to Bret during the Coastal game and said "You're Fired!!!!" Before halftime!

urkillnmesmalls

This discussion is pointless.  CBB himself says the firing wasn't "brutal" and that he understood the termination, due to the timing of his recruiting visit coming up, and being able to say goodbye to the players.  What more do people want? 

Watch the press conference.  He even jokes about bragging about his team's academics since they didn't win enough.  He referenced the number of injuries they sustained, (but many of those players were on the field for the TCU and TAMU games).  He also said that if he had something to do over, he would have done a better job of recruiting on the lines, because they had WAY more players go to the NFL early than he ever expected, based on their talent levels when they came in. 

OK...so those are all reasonable EXCUSES, but no matter how you slice it, there is NO WAY we shouldn't be able to beat Coastal Carolina with mostly second string players if CBB was making the right moves with recruiting and developing.  That's how I feel about it, and I think he understands completely that he didn't win enough games. 

Let him process it, digest it, and use those reasons to help him find another job.  I'm not buying it...he had more than enough time and chances, and we saw the same patterns over and over with no reason to expect them to change. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Also...I could tell he was emotional about his daughter being born here, and I think he truly loved FV.  It just didn't work out for him here, and he acknowledges some of the mistakes he made, and I'm sure he will learn from them. 

I just don't see the point in our fans saying, "He got what he deserved" and other contrived statements like that.  He failed, and he was terminated.  Let's just move on...no reason to denigrate a man who obviously cares deeply about FV and I'm confident in saying that he wanted it to work out just as much as anyone on this board. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HotlantaHog

There have been maybe a dozen decent coaching openings this year... Has Bielema been contacted for a single one to interview? Has his name come up as a likely candidate? I am pretty sure Sumlin's name has been bandied about for some openings ... That Bielema's hasn't says something about how the rest of the college football world thinks about him.

Uncommon

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 05, 2017, 02:10:20 pm
There have been maybe a dozen decent coaching openings this year... Has Bielema been contacted for a single one to interview? Has his name come up as a likely candidate? I am pretty sure Sumlin's name has been bandied about for some openings ... That Bielema's hasn't says something about how the rest of the college football world thinks about him.
Well it could also be his buyout goes down if he takes another job and he may want to take a year off and spend some time with the new addition to his family.  Not discrediting your theory.  Just saying other factors could play in as well.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Uncommon on December 05, 2017, 02:13:23 pm
Well it could also be his buyout goes down if he takes another job and he may want to take a year off and spend some time with the new addition to his family.  Not discrediting your theory.  Just saying other factors could play in as well.

Also, when you flame out at a P5 job, you normally have to either take a year or so off, step down to coordinator at a P5 school, or go HC at a G5 school to rehabilitate the image.  When P5 is done plucking rising G5 coaches, we'll see more clearly if he's taking the "time off" option or actively looking.

Uncommon

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 05, 2017, 02:23:36 pm
Also, when you flame out at a P5 job, you normally have to either take a year or so off, step down to coordinator at a P5 school, or go HC at a G5 school to rehabilitate the image.  When P5 is done plucking rising G5 coaches, we'll see more clearly if he's taking the "time off" option or actively looking.
Agree.  His options right now are:
1. Take a year off completely and focus on family
2. Take a year off and take a television job
3. Take a year off and be a special assistant at a big program like Alabama
4. Coordinate defense again
5. Head coach job at G5 school

Melancholy_Pigg

I personally am really surprised there is not more anger at BB from the fan base.  We just gave away $30 million dollars to someone who after 5 wasted years (utterly wasted) has us at the bottom of our division. 

The fact that we would try and rationalize our situation by looking at the attitude of the players is astonishing to me.  It really is.  What do the players say about every bad football coach I have ever observed at any program?  I mean, come on. 

We have to put the big-boy pants on, guys.  Or this won't be the last time we get had. 

I am also at this point willing to err on the side of Good-Ole-Boy for AD.  I appreciate the concern - and lord knows you had me wanting to get rid of it earlier in this program's recent history.  I know the GOB thing has its pitfalls. 

But after the Long-Bielema debacle and watching those mediocre incompetents walk away from this state with as much $$$ as we gave them after doing what will be years of damage to the program...well...I'm sorry but it is hardly irrational to be wary of getting into that situation again with a total outsider. 

jchill

I picked up a couple from Wisconsin and they told me that Brett was not well liked in Wisconsin.

Melancholy_Pigg

It is interesting, isn't it?  There were a lot of warning signs about Bielema and the WI fans were one of them.

It is also interesting that Mr. Integrity ran out of that program basically in the middle-of-the-night and left his benefactor/mentor in the lurch.  Not to mention the kids he recruited.

I don't think we'll ever find out the skinny on Bielema in WI (no pun intended).   I suspect Alvarez and a lot of Badger nation were relieved that he took the Arkansas gig - I mean no need to "suspect" it with a lot fo the WI fans.  They came out and said it. 

Melancholy_Pigg

I'm serious, guys.  Now that we're here talking about Bielema's departure from Wisconsin - there were plenty of warning signs.  And the way he left and what people said - not good.  Not good at all.

IMO we got had.  We got taken.  We let someone who was likely in a shrinking situation professionally reach out and pull the 'ol handle on the Razorback slot-machine.  And we paid.  And what is disconcerting is that he had - and still has - some of our fan base so snowed over when it was glaringly obvious in hindsight something was bad wrong.

And why is this important now?  Because we need to learn from our mistake, that is why.   We'll "move on" but we need this to sink in, and we need to be cognizant of it - and more aware than ever going forward.

CareBear

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on November 25, 2017, 04:57:00 pm

I don't know what to make of it.  I have been reading this message board for years and only created an account last nite when I saw the whining about how he was fired (which was not accurate, btw).

I could not take it any more.  This man comes in and drains your bank account and has everyone laughing at you and says he can fix your car and takes it apart and can't put it back together.  You are in a bad spot and rumor is he's on the town every night.

But you just continually sit back and talk about what a great guy he is?   Good Lord.

News flash:   be glad he is finally gone, and hope this program never pays as much as we did for as little as we got again.  And owe to the next bunch of people who buy in to the Bielema shtick.

I think his "nice guy" routine is just that - an act.  I am sure Charles Ponzi had people saying he was a great guy as well.
Great post. I didn't like the hire from day one. I tried to give him a chance but there were major red flags by the time he blew the Rutgers game. The love letter to Jeff Long was a calculated & very manipulative move. How many guys who party on the college bar scene in the town where they are coaching (Madison) & meet there wife at a blackjack table in Vegas, would feel compelled to sit down and write a letter to an AD because he fired a coach who had an affair. My intuition was screaming when I heard about this ridiculous love letter. Then we hear all the "building it the right way", "it's coming", "this place was a dumpster fire", etc. Jeff Long & CBB ate responsible for the condition of our football program at the moment. They needed to be fired. Jeff Long didn't understand that Barry Alvarez had to meet with Bert 3-5 times /wk to discuss football & probably keep the man in line. Once he arrived at UofA he was under  an AD who had previously been dealing with Bobby Petrino...who did not need help with football from his AD. So Bert had free reign. The assistants started peeling off every year. I suspect they knew that Bielema was in WAY over his head on every level. The problem was not with the assistants, it was the head coach. Anyone we get will be an upgrade. Anyone!

HeathWimp

Oh no!  Maybe we should hire Bret back.  But wait, how would that affect the buyout offset? /s
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Pig In The City

I have reflected and due to the fact that I cannot say something positive....

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Pig In The City on December 05, 2017, 03:36:26 pm
I have reflected and due to the fact that I cannot say something positive....

If Morris is hired, in hindsight, then firing Bielema was a mistake.

redneckfriend

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2017, 11:00:39 pm
Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don't seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he's a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That's not a guess, that's straight from their own statements. They're not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it's inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.

I don't doubt it at all. I don't know flip about Bielema but from a distance he looked like a stand up guy. That however is generally not how fans judge coaches- they like 'em to be mean sumbitches who win games and crush the other teams ego. Makes the fans feel validated for all they have to put up with in real life- especially if you're from Arkansas and don't get respect from ESPN.

Ash

Quote from: CareBear on December 05, 2017, 02:48:37 pm
Great post. I didn't like the hire from day one. I tried to give him a chance but there were major red flags by the time he blew the Rutgers game. The love letter to Jeff Long was a calculated & very manipulative move. How many guys who party on the college bar scene in the town where they are coaching (Madison) & meet there wife at a blackjack table in Vegas, would feel compelled to sit down and write a letter to an AD because he fired a coach who had an affair. My intuition was screaming when I heard about this ridiculous love letter. Then we hear all the "building it the right way", "it's coming", "this place was a dumpster fire", etc. Jeff Long & CBB ate responsible for the condition of our football program at the moment. They needed to be fired. Jeff Long didn't understand that Barry Alvarez had to meet with Bert 3-5 times /wk to discuss football & probably keep the man in line. Once he arrived at UofA he was under  an AD who had previously been dealing with Bobby Petrino...who did not need help with football from his AD. So Bert had free reign. The assistants started peeling off every year. I suspect they knew that Bielema was in WAY over his head on every level. The problem was not with the assistants, it was the head coach. Anyone we get will be an upgrade. Anyone!

yeah blackjack table...

Their stories never lined up with each other on how they met. She made her living from model mayhem before they got married. Do some googling on model mayhem and the legal troubles they've had over the years.

Boarcephus

SEC Network did a segment on Frank Ragnow and his father's passing today.  Very touching.  Frank's mother was very complimentary on how Bielema handled the entire situation and said he did exactly as he promised her and Franks dad he would do when he recruited Frank.  Could not have been happier how Frank was treated from day one at Fayetteville.   I have no doubt Bielema is a standup guy, just not a good fit for this program. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 05, 2017, 04:04:23 pm
SEC Network did a segment on Frank Ragnow and his father's passing today.  Very touching.  Frank's mother was very complimentary on how Bielema handled the entire situation and said he did exactly as he promised her and Franks dad he would do when he recruited Frank.  Could not have been happier how Frank was treated from day one at Fayetteville.   I have no doubt Bielema is a standup guy, just not a good fit for this program.
Agreed.

alohawg

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 05, 2017, 03:50:46 pm

I dunno about a mistake, but certainly not smart.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Melancholy_Pigg

Quote from: CareBear on December 05, 2017, 02:48:37 pm
The love letter to Jeff Long was a calculated & very manipulative move. How many guys who party on the college bar scene in the town where they are coaching (Madison) & meet there wife at a blackjack table in Vegas, would feel compelled to sit down and write a letter to an AD because he fired a coach who had an affair. My intuition was screaming when I heard about this ridiculous love letter. Then we hear all the "building it the right way", "it's coming", "this place was a dumpster fire", etc. Jeff Long & CBB ate responsible for the condition of our football program at the moment.

I knew I couldn't be the only one thinking the same thing, CareBear.  I thought it was telling that a lot of folks who were clutching their moral pearls at 'ol Bobby Petrino had such an easy time with Vegas Bret. 

And when you make Character & Integrity & Morals an issue - then I'm sorry but you open that door.  You don't get to have it both ways and get to pick and choose who is criticized.  At least that should not have happened.  It did, but it shouldn't have. 

HognitiveDissonance

Look at the reactions from his current and former players on twitter. They believe he deserved better. They don't seem to agree with the multitudes of you that were convinced he played favorites and had off the field issues. They believe he's a man of great character that cared about them and did what was best for them. It provides some good perspective. I believe he should have been fired, no doubt. But he left this program and these kids better off than when he got here, whether the record this year shows it or not. He made an impact on these players not only as athletes but as people. That's not a guess, that's straight from their own statements. They're not happy with the way it was handled and they love their coaches. So I believe it's inportant to remember that over the next few weeks.
As I posted before:

Bielema did everything right off the field,
He just didn't win enough games.

Mr Jade

What are we thinking Seaton?
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

PorkSoda

this.  so much this.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jchill

Melancholy_Pigg

Mr. Coleman's final buyout is $11.8 mil.  Has anyone heard any chatter about contracts made by or through the Razorback Foundation that were not disclosed and that are outside of FOIA request?

Just curious.  Maybe this has already been covered.  If so, is this a standard practice of athletic foundations at other institutions?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21633086/former-arkansas-football-coach-bret-bielema-receive-118-million-buyout-pay-final-three-years-contract

Melancholy_Pigg

Hawgzinbowlz

And some of these are the same players who laid down and quit in the Auburn, Missouri and VT games last year. Win those games and this conversation doesn't happen.

Here's to hoping that CCM can receive the same loyalty while being able to motivate the players to consistently perform at a respectable level.

" GO HOGS "

alohawg

Quote from: snoblind on November 26, 2017, 01:09:09 am
How many kids on the squad?  120?  120 when he started and been here 5 years, so what does that work out to?  200-350?  How many twitter accounts have you looked at?  20%, 30%, 50%?

Didn't read, +1 tho to get you off the triple 6  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

okrazorback

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:25:12 pm
Why do people fell the need to keep running him down, or take shots at those who may support him because they liked him when he coached them?

He just got fired and still had the professionalism to go meet the media.  Just be happy we are about to hire someone else to come in and likely average 7 or 8 wins over 4 or 5 years then we can cry for that guy to be fired

I guess that's why I am not agreeing with most of you. You think 7 OR 8 games per season is a knockout punch. I do not . Now you will tell me that is good for Arkansas. I say with the right coach we  can do better. Now you will probably say I am not fan I say you are not a fan if you just automatically say that is the best we can do.

arkansashogs

As a fan and or administration, what you need to look at it the outcome (field performance), not players' reactions, period.

-AH

snoblind

Quote from: alohawg on December 10, 2017, 01:12:30 am
Didn't read, +1 tho to get you off the triple 6  :)

I actually noticed that yesterday.  Thx.

Melancholy_Pigg

That man made so much money off this program in exchange for so little he deserves to be run down and insulted.  It is borderline criminal.

I would be extraordinarily wary of hiring Bret if I were another program.  I don't think you can believe a word he says.  A contractor telling you the wonderful job he'll do who does not show up for work after you pay him is not going to have everyone chattering away about how wonderful he is.

Good grief. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Melancholy_Pigg on December 10, 2017, 01:17:28 pm
That man made so much money off this program in exchange for so little he deserves to be run down and insulted.  It is borderline criminal.

I would be extraordinarily wary of hiring Bret if I were another program.  I don't think you can believe a word he says.  A contractor telling you the wonderful job he'll do who does not show up for work after you pay him is not going to have everyone chattering away about how wonderful he is.

Good grief.

Some of y'all butt hurt warriors just need to move on.

greasy_corner

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 24, 2017, 11:21:00 pm
With all due respect, so what?  Players almost always support their coach.  Players play, administrators make business decisions and run the program.

Exactly no person with a brain would have brought BB back. And maybe if they played harder he wouldn't have been fired.

And I'm sick of how he was fired. Ok how is the correct way to fire a coach? I mean after the last game telling him in an office after the game seems completely fine in fact a great way to let him know. And to be upset about how he was fired??? Hell should have fired him last year after the 56-3 quit job or maybe after quitting against Missouri or maybe after quitting agianst Va Tech right after any of those games fire his ass...

He wasn't mistreated and if the players think that they need to follow him if gets another job. Like Long they will both be hired by some much better school that Arkansas.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 10, 2017, 01:20:03 pm

You going to beat us up at the Sonic?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Ash on November 26, 2017, 09:02:38 am
For those saying he left the program in a better place. Our lines are shambles. Our record is awful. Our academics are the second worst in the SEC.

The impression he and Long gave is not reality. Go do the research.

And bam! The truth strikes down the FOS posters and he gone! Yeah he robbed us him and Hogville's boy Long robbed this state. Did not leave this program in better shape. In fact the same or worse.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on December 10, 2017, 01:04:25 am
And some of these are the same players who laid down and quit in the Auburn, Missouri and VT games last year. Win those games and this conversation doesn't happen.

Here's to hoping that CCM can receive the same loyalty while being able to motivate the players to consistently perform at a respectable level.

" GO HOGS "

Need to weed out a bunch of them that have quit in multiple games.

EulessHog

Quote from: greasy_corner on December 10, 2017, 01:29:13 pm
It is YOUR thread.

The ONLY good thing I can say about him is that he's gone.  Long is even worse.
Go Hogs Go!

porkrindjimmy

You really got the gall to tell somebody to move on? It is you who needs to move on. Put the Bret and Jeff dolls up, quit licking the windows and clean yourself up.

Jeez...write Bret a love letter. But you need to give it up.

PRJ

jkstock04

This is your thread lol. All I have to do to become more convinced of the Chad Morris hire is to go back and read snowflake threads like this....our fans melting all over themselves over Bret Bielema and his time here.

Epitome of how soft and dainty our football program has become under the Jeff Long/Bielema era...it was a disease that spread through the administration, coaches, players, and fan base that winning was secondary because by gosh we are doing things the right way in an uncommon manner!

Thank God that is all over with and actually competing and winning football games will become a priority once again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 10, 2017, 01:42:45 pm
You really got the gall to tell somebody to move on? It is you who needs to move on. Put the Bret and Jeff dolls up, quit licking the windows and clean yourself up.

Jeez...write Bret a love letter. But you need to give it up.

PRJ

Go make some more wrong predictions and pretend to be important, imposter.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 10, 2017, 01:54:28 pm
This is your thread lol. All I have to do to become more convinced of the Chad Morris hire is to go back and read snowflake threads like this....our fans melting all over themselves over Bret Bielema and his time here.

Epitome of how soft and dainty our football program has become under the Jeff Long/Bielema era...it was a disease that spread through the administration, coaches, players, and fan base that winning was secondary because by gosh we are doing things the right way in an uncommon manner!

Thank God that is all over with and actually competing and winning football games will become a priority once again.

My thread from two weeks ago right when he was fired. It isn't me that keeps bringing it back.

Mike Irwin

If they love him so much why did they get him fired?

A football coach isn't your friend. He's your coach. Most of the best coaches I've been around weren't generally liked by their players until a few years after they left the team. You start to grow up and you start realizing, That guy may not have been a nice person to be around but he damn sure know how to get the best out of me.